Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Vs. Lions Preseason Game Day Thread

LucasOilStadium

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That will NEVER happen....He has suffered way too many injuries...bad ones...He is a pocket qb and not strong throwing on the move....but very accurate thrower...even deep.

All true. 

Btw, which number is Basham? 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You don't have a very good memory then. He moved the ball very well that game but we had many bad drops on big plsys...including TY. In the.end we got so far behind due to our inept defense and offense shooting itself in the foot...but no fault of Scotts.

To be fair, Tolzien took a sack that moved AV's kick form 47 to 52 yards, which he missed and gave great field position to the Steelers who then scored a TD.  And one trip inside the 5 was from a Todman return, and deep pass by McAfee, not ST.  Yet still couldn't punch it in in 4 tries.  ST wasn't all that great either.  Neither were others on the team.  A full O unit fail.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You don't have a very good memory then. He moved the ball very well that game but we had many bad drops on big plsys...including TY. In the.end we got so far behind due to our inept defense and offense shooting itself in the foot...but no fault of Scotts.

Yes Scott's 2 INT's weren't his fault.

I will agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Reminder alert!!!.......................... This is pre season.  It's not going to be pretty.

Yep....that said my takeaway is that we have been out physically played across every position imo...and for the most part not looking ready to play and out executed......sound fsmiliar?

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

To be fair, Tolzien took a sac that moved AV's kick form 47 to 52 yards, which he missed and gave great field position to the Steelers who then scored a TD.  And on trip inside the 5 was from a Todman return, and deep pass by McAfee, not ST.  Yet still couldn't punch it in in 4 tries.  ST wasn't all that great either.  Neither were others on the team.  A full O unit fail.

The WRs were more to blame for that game than Scott, IMO. The WRs were awful. They weren't getting open and when they did they couldn't catch a cold. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Bradford was 5/7 for 35yds. Most of those yards were YAC from Dalvin Cook.

That's good!  Plays like that open up the deeper stuff after awhile.

Sam is high % passer, and it is always good when you get the ball out and into the hands of playmakers.  Nice little pre-season showing stat wise.  How did he look otherwise? (going through progressions, looking off safety's, pass rush avoidance, etc...)

This was overall a satisfying first half of the first preseason game for me, as far as the defense. I enjoyed both the rookies and veterans  

The problem is that Colts don't have a backup QB that is good enough to give the rest of the offense meaningful reps. I'd like to see Morris for the rest of the game, perhaps he can replicate last preseason performance.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep....that said my takeaway is that we have been out physically played across every position imo...and for the most part not looking ready to play and out executed......sound fsmiliar?

In all fairness we have not seen any starters on the field at this point. We are watching bubble players and rookies. The score means absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

In all fairness we have not seen any starters on the field at this point. We are watching bubble players and rookies. The score means absolutely nothing.

It started the first series...I'm not worried but it is a familiar story no?

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's good!  Sam is high % passer, and it is always good when you get the ball out and into the hands of playmakers.  Nice little pre-season showing stat wise.  How did he look otherwise? (going through progressions, looking off safety's, pass rush avoidance, etc...)

Good completion percentage but that means nothing if the yards per attempt is 5 yards. That is awful. It would be even worse if not for Cook running several yards after the catch.  

This is preseason. Throw it deep. He is throwing deep in practice. Why not in games?

I did not watch the game so I cannot answer those questions. I followed the game on the game thread. (The game was not shown in my area until mid-morning.)

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly, this game isn't for winning, its for evaluating.  What needs to be worked on by various players with their position coaches, and who are the front runners for filling the last15 or so slots on the 53 man roster, and who gets placed on the  P.S.

Game 3 at Steelers when we actually game plan, we'll find out if this team is ready for prime time. Ability to break on the ball as a defender, making quick reads as a QB, turning your head around and breaking up passes etc. (in other words, more instincts than coaching IMO) may or may not magically change, much to the chagrin of even the most optimistic :)

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly, this game isn't for winning, its for evaluating.  What needs to be worked on by various players with their position coaches, and who are the front runners for filling the last15 or so slots on the 53 man roster, and who gets placed on the  P.S.

Then we need a new list

My first half notes:

- Vontae Davis forces an INT caught by John Simon

- Offense is struggling all around, not turning the ball over, but not scoring either

- Quincy Wilson has great coverage skills, just lacks ability to turn head to break up pass. Also an excellent tackler.

- Malik Hooker hasn't really had a chance to get an INT, but made 2 great open field tackles. 

- D-line is collapsing pocket better than last year. 

- Edwin Jackson was all over the field in the 1st quarter. If Morrison and Bostic are better than him at the moment, can't wait to see it. 

Edit: and Jojo Natson is fast

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good completion percentage but that means nothing if the yards per attempt is 5 yards. That is awful. It would be worse if not for Cook.  

This is preseason. Throw it deep. He is throwing deep in practice. Why not in games?

That stuff allows deeper pass plays later in the game when the D cheats up.  That is basically a replacement for a running game, and darn good one too.  Beside, O's are vanilla right now.  No game planning, and no 'tape' for other teams for when the real season begins.  patience.  :-)