Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release Kendall Langford

TKnight24

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We could have cut him long before the season.      It wasn't a case of cutting him today or else....

We could have cut him in a week,  or two week,   or even at the cutdown date with all the othr cuts.

We still would've saved the money.....      I'm sure there's more to the story concerning the timing....    hopefully we'll get it soon....

Considering that he recently failed his physical would be indicative of why he was released....he isn't getting better obviously.  If other moves come after this then that would be great but to disregard that he was not able to suit up would be erroneous. 

58 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I want to personally thank everyone who called me crazy in the surprise cuts thread. Saw it coming a mile away.

Nope your not the only. I also said if someone younger showed signs in camp he was gone. 

According to "Over The Cap" the cap savings would be as follows:

If cut before June 1st:

2017: $3,750,000.00 in savings with a $500,000.00 cap hit.

2018: $4,250,000.00 in savings with a $250,000.00 cap hit.

If cut after June 1st:

2017: $4,000,000.00 in savings with a $250,000.00 cap hit.

https://overthecap.com/player/kendall-langford/1838

8 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

If cut before June 1st:

If cut after June 1st:

Explains why we didn't cut pre June 1.So we gave him as much time as we could before cutting him. 

12 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

If cut before June 1st:

If cut after June 1st:

Good work RR7

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Explains why we didn't cut pre June 1.So we gave him as much time as we could before cutting him. 

It's a $250K difference on the cap. Real money isn't any different. 

To me, the timing suggests they want the roster spot, but I could be wrong. Maybe he just failed another physical today, so they chose to move on today, but they haven't added anyone with that roster spot yet. There might be a pending waiver claim. Who knows...

If someone saved me that, I would be grateful.  It might be a precursor to a move for a new player or possibly to open up money for a pending FA like Moncrief, Mehwort, or Davis?  I guess we will find out soon?

I just feel like they gave him every opportunity to get healthy and he couldn't...so they cut bait.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Oh.

Edit: I wonder if this means something else is coming, like a big acquisition that they need the roster spot for. Otherwise, I don't understand why they're making this move now.

My first thought was it was to make room for a big move.   His cap savings could help us absorb a big cap hit from a big time acquisition.  The timing signals a trade is about to go down IMO.   

Oh.

Edit: I wonder if this means something else is coming, like a big acquisition that they need the roster spot for. Otherwise, I don't understand why they're making this move now.

My first thought was it was to make room for a big move.   His cap savings could help us absorb a big cap hit from a big time acquisition.  The timing signals a trade is about to go down IMO.   

Or they just cut and old and injured player on a team with a bunch of younger players and saved money. You guys are reading too much into this.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Or they just cut and old and injured player on a team with a bunch of younger players and saved money. You guys are reading too much into this.

Exactly.  Not much mystery to this.  Makes perfect sense once you start reading what these Colts reporters are tweeting.  

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

To me, the timing suggests they want the roster spot, but I could be wrong. Maybe he just failed another physical today, so they chose to move on today, but they haven't added anyone with that roster spot yet. There might be a pending waiver claim. Who knows...

Could be a combination of all that too. We'll likely never fully know

34 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

If someone saved me that, I would be grateful.  It might be a precursor to a move for a new player or possibly to open up money for a pending FA like Moncrief, Mehwort, or Davis?  I guess we will find out soon?

I just feel like they gave him every opportunity to get healthy and he couldn't...so they cut bait.

They're not saving it, though. It's already paid. It's just an accounting of what's already been paid. I'm being overly technical, but I'm pointing that out.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Was wondering the same thing. Not sure who unless there's a trade or gulp..... a Kapernick signing in the works

For the love of all that's Holy, let the freaking Kaepernick thing go.  First the really bad thread with the "typo" go.  It is not freaking happening.

Just now, Superman said:

They're not saving it, though. It's already paid. It's just an accounting of what's already been paid. I'm being overly technical, but I'm pointing that out.

I understand your point but it is a saving against the cap moving forward....pennies make dollars.   Either way he isn't a Colt anymore and I was a fan of him.  It is a shame that a guy can have an almost injury free career and then bam, he is done.  I wish him well and hope he recovers enough to have a normal life.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

For the love of all that's Holy, let the freaking Kaepernick thing go.  First the really bad thread with the "typo" go.  It is not freaking happening.

I posted the Kaepernick thread after that post lol way after

This is unsurprising and surprising at the same time. Honestly, I kind of hoped it'd be him rather than any of the promising young guys.

He was a solid player throughout his career and while he was here. But we have so much young talent on the D-line, and Langford's knee seemed to be a definite issue. The updates on it never seemed to be promising. I was more hoping this would happen as opposed to releasing somebody like TY McGill who's showed promise and an ability to stay on the field.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think it's just simply they don't need a 31 year old DL that isn't going to be 100% this year. Colts are deep at DL and why not save the cap room and carry it over ?  I don't think it had anything to do with opening up a roster spot for some acquisition . Just time to move on as he wasn't recovering .

Some were putting him down as a definite DL guy, but when a new regime comes to town and you're from the old one and you're hurt, you're definitely at risk.

He was old also and we may as well go all in on a youth movement.

Something that Pagano said this week did not mean anything to me when I read it but now seems to make sense.  One of the guys that he specifically praised was Margus Hunt.  I figured Hunt was a long-shot to make the roster and his spot may not be assured but maybe he made Langford expendable.  Plus it saves the team some money and gets them younger.

Or they may not related at all.  Just something that caught my attention.

Something that Pagano said this week did not mean anything to me when I read it but now seems to make sense.  One of the guys that he specifically praised was Margus Hunt.  I figured Hunt was a long-shot to make the roster and his spot may not be assured but maybe he made Langford expendable.  Plus it saves the team some money and gets them younger.

Or they may not related at all.  Just something that caught my attention.

Agree. I think the Hankins signing was really the beginning of the end for him. I still believe Hankins is going to play most of his snaps at DT. It's the spot Langford played for us, and Hankins was clearly an upgrade. Then at the DE spot you have a recovered/recovering Anderson and Hunt, who probably played out of position as a 4-3 DE in Cincy. There really wasn't anywhere for him. Especially at 31. Solid player though.

The new doctor's report must have been a doosy....like, his knee is not getting any better and we don't expect it to or his knee is even worse now!

Honestly, I would have waited as long as I could with this guy unless as others have said, they need the cap space NOW!  Age or not, if there was a chance of him returning to full strength for this season, I would have waited till the very last day.  Wood, Hunt?  Anderson back to 100%?  IMO, still lots of questions on that Dline.

Opening day is nearing and Colts need a healthy D-line, ready to play. Cutting a talented young player to hold a spot for KL, knowing he won't be ready, knowing he's 31, knowing a full recovery remains uncertain, well, it adds up when I set my emotions aside.  

Cheers Kendall, cheers!

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I think it's just simply they don't need a 31 year old DL that isn't going to be 100% this year. Colts are deep at DL and why not save the cap room and carry it over ?  I don't think it had anything to do with opening up a roster spot for some acquisition . Just time to move on as he wasn't recovering .

That appears to be the case, now that they've filled the roster spot.

My question was about the timing. Why not wait a month and see how he comes along? It could be that he hasn't made enough progress over several checks, or any number of things that added up to this decision. I just don't understand why they waited until now if they don't want him, or why they didn't wait until cutdown day.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Predicted this awhile back but didn't think it would be this soon. Injured and older. Plus we've got a bunch of younger D-Lineman.

I think we'll be fine. I think Hankins is going to play his position anyways.

6 hours ago, Shepman said:

I want to personally thank everyone who called me crazy in the surprise cuts thread. Saw it coming a mile away.

5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Exactly what I said in the "surprise cut" thread. He's over 30 and struggling with injuries so this was not surprising to me at all.

That thread was one of the first things I thought about. I don't remember having any particular feeling one way or the other, but I wasn't really expecting him to be cut. I expected him to get cleared and battle for a spot.