Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Touchy subject

Lucky Colts Fan

Would you want your child to play football?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want your child to play football?

• Yes
    • No

I have no doubt that this thread will get shut down in a matter of time.  This is not a subject that the NFL wants people to talk about.

This is a tricky subject.  I wanted to play football as a young man, but my Mom didn't want me to suffer the physical repercussions.

I wanted to play, but my parents were in charge.  So, as a parent, with all of the information in the world at your fingertips, would you want your child to play football?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn on this.  I never had the opportunity to play.  But I think football is a great way to build camaraderie and develop a teammate type of bonding.  Plus, you are supposed to protect each other, right?

However, one hit on the football field can cause irreversible damage.

There are less violent sports in which to forge friendship and life-long bonds, but football is probably the closest thing to actual combat, where real bonds are forged and never broken.

I don't know.  :dunno:

14 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Yes.  I still think it's safer than some of the other sports.  My youngest wants to ride dirt bikes for cryin out loud.

No offense to your son/daughter, but that's not a sport, or even a past-time.  And it's not a team-building activity.  That's adolescent adrenaline at its fullest.

That's a death-wish.  I have lost two friends to motor-bike/motorcycle accidents.  One at the ripe age of 18.  Helmets are not a catch-all preventative measure.

Please lecture them, at length, about the dangers of their life choices.  All of them, not just the physical ones like motor-biking or football.

(Sorry, I said this was a touchy subject)  :console:

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Nope

Thank you.  Sometimes it is as simple as that.

I'm used to BOTT being funny and condescending, but I sincerely appreciate your simple straight-forward answer.

As much as I wish I had been allowed to play, I love my Mom for not exposing me to this abusive world as a young man.

If I had a child, and he or she wanted to play, then yes I would be all for it. Unless you live in a town that is insane for football like on that Friday Night Tykes show, then honestly I don't think your child runs the risk of any serious injury.

I played football up until high school, and the worst injury I ever suffered was from some * that liked to pull on your face mask and cut my face. 

I think with the right type of coaches and integrity, a lot of injuries can be avoided. I would have zero complaints about my kid playing. 

48 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

If I had a child, and he or she wanted to play, then yes I would be all for it. Unless you live in a town that is insane for football like on that Friday Night Tykes show, then honestly I don't think your child runs the risk of any serious injury.

I played football up until high school, and the worst injury I ever suffered was from some * that liked to pull on your face mask and cut my face. 

I think with the right type of coaches and integrity, a lot of injuries can be avoided. I would have zero complaints about my kid playing. 

36 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Nothing wrong with football, or any other organized sport.... or dirtbikes, for crying out loud.....

I think, for most people, at least anyone that played high school sports, the worst injury of their life probably came during that daring, inexplicable time.

I didn't play football, but I played just about every other sport that my parents were willing to pay for. (Football equipment was expensive back then, compared to other sports)  And I sacrificed my body for the team.

One coach, I won't say which one, wanted me to take performance-enhancing drugs to improve my abilities.  Sadly, I did, and it helped, but it led to the most devastating injury I have ever experienced.

I'm not taking the moral high-ground or justifying my athletic aspirations, but coaches, even at the high-school level, heck, even middle-school these days, are pushing their athletes to take short-cuts.

Bottom-line:  If you are a parent, and care about your kids' development, don't let them get too close to an ambitious coach.  Sometimes, winning is more important than the personal development of young folks.

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

2 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

If he wanted to, absolutely. 

Part of me wishes my Mom had the same attitude as you.  I wanted to play so bad, I just needed the support of my family, both morally and financially.  I wanted to be a DB, and I think I would have been pretty good.

But part of me knows I wouldn't be able to pursue my current pursuits in life, both emotionally and intellectually, if I had suffered multiple concussions before I had fully developed mentally.

This is a mucked up issue.  :sorry:

Due to circumstances I adopted my two youngest grandsons.

The older one was very good at playing football and was on the all star team and traveled with the traveling all stars pop warner. He then become a starter for his local Jr. High school and on to become a varsity starter for high school. He shined as a linebacker and had even been visited by a few colleges.

Then it happened. The first concussion took his 2nd half of his junior season away.

The 2nd concussion happened his 3 rd game back as a senior. Long story short he suffered such a serious concussion it will effect him the rest of his life. He cant even hold a screwdriver steady enough to tighten a screw. He lost over 40% of his strength on his right side.

I backed him and supported him threw out all his passion of wanting to play and attended every game I could physically go to.

With hindsight I regret doing my best to keep him away from football. It not only ruined his life and effected his ability to work and maintain a lot of things we all take for granted in life.

So to answer the OPs question-- A thousand no's.

Yes without a doubt.  I hate that any kid gets hurt playing sports.  I have never really had an injury that sidelined me though my brother and both of his kids have had numerous "serious" injuries.  

My youngest nephew took himself out of football after getting a concussion.  Not out of fear of it happening again, but out of fear of not being able to play basketball or baseball.  Both of witch he has a better opportunity to play at a higher level.

Used to race motocross too and man was it fun and exhilarating.   I saw one kid go over the handlebars and head first into the next jump breaking his neck.  It was surreal.  I saw plenty of other pretty severe wrecks and injuries too, even in person at pro races.  I still wouldn't discourage my kid from racing either.  

Regardless of the sport so many are going to be involved and so many are going to get injured.  A law of averages if you will.  We either take the risk or we don't.  Its not going away.  I don't begrudge anyone who does not want their children involved in dangerous sports, but I would not keep my kids from participating (given the coaches are well trained and teaching proper tech).

Atm I wouldn't let my kid play football. I think some rule adjustments should be introduced at an underage level e.g.

- Players can only tackle legally by wrapping their arms around the other player and tackling above the shoulders should be illegal.

- In New Zealand underage rugby teams are categorized by weight not age. This protects smaller players from injury and focuses games on skill rather than brute force.

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I have no doubt that this thread will get shut down in a matter of time.  This is not a subject that the NFL wants people to talk about.

This is a tricky subject.  I wanted to play football as a young man, but my Mom didn't want me to suffer the physical repercussions.

I wanted to play, but my parents were in charge.  So, as a parent, with all of the information in the world at your fingertips, would you want your child to play football?

Very simple.

HELL.

NO.

In this country we prioritize riches and fame but the person who has to go through it lives in hell.  I just wouldn't wish that on anyone.  If you could assure they won't have quality of life altering injuries then I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Team sports like military service teaches many good things so suck it up. How many people here have sustained injuries that are not related to sports activities?

Suck it up??  I now have a grandson who is unable to even work to support himself the rest of his life over team sport. You don't have the right to tell me to suck it up, just who do you think you are?

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Team sports like military service teaches many good things so suck it up. How many people here have sustained injuries that are not related to sports activities?

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Suck it up??  I now have a grandson who is unable to even work to support himself the rest of his life over team sport. You don't have the right to tell me to suck it up, just who do you think you are?

Yesterday, I spent some time with my 101-yr old grandfather.  He told me a story about "basket cases".  He was stationed in Hawaii after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  He was injured and had to spend some time in a military hospital.  They called them "basket cases" because those soldiers had lost all four of their limbs in the bombing, and had to be carried around in baskets.  Some of them "sucked it up", but many of them just gave up.

I don't know how to feel about this.  They were serving their country, but ended up in a situation that the average person can't even comprehend.  I appreciate their sacrifice, but I wish they had chosen a different path in life.

Same with football.  I love the sport, but I wish the athletes had chosen a different path in life.

12 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Only as a long snapper.

Up until they changed the rules about how you can engage the long snapper, that was the most vulnerable person on the field.  At least a center has a free hand and is looking at the threat, the long snapper has both hands on the ball and is looking into the backfield at the snap.

Long snappers were basically getting trampled by some of the largest and strongest human beings on the planet.  I'm glad they changed the rules so that you can't do that anymore.

10 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

No offense to your son/daughter, but that's not a sport, or even a past-time.  And it's not a team-building activity.  That's adolescent adrenaline at its fullest.

I disagree with the bolded. Most who get into dirt biking at a young age go on to become lifers. I have a few friends who have been riding since they were kids, and they're well into their 30s now. For most, it's a lifelong obsession, not just a flash-in-the-pan fad or hobby.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I disagree with the bolded. Most who get into dirt biking at a young age go on to become lifers. I have a few friends who have been riding since they were kids, and they're well into their 30s now. For most, it's a lifelong obsession, not just a flash-in-the-pan fad or hobby.

I'm just speaking from personal experience.  My best friend and I got into dirt-bikes as teenagers, and it only took one bad crash for both of us to gain some perspective.  When a friend died in a motorcycle accident, a lot of my friends just stopped riding altogether.  Like football, it's fun, but just not worth the risk.

It's ironic that our parents wouldn't let us play organized football because of the dangers, but let us ride dirt-bikes and play football in the yard.  No pads or helmets.  I actually got a concussion playing football with friends in the yard.

:dunno:

More than any system, the nervous system is probably the single most pivotal system in the body with connections to every organ. Any sport that impacts the nervous system the most in a negative way should be viewed with far more discretion by parents. It is simple science.

Personally, I only have a daughter. But if I had a son, I would not want him playing football. The body withers faster than the mind as you get older unless you put your mind and nervous system in harm's way thus impacting every single facet of your life. You can live without food x number of days, without water y number of days but not more than a few seconds without nervous system supply.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

More than any system, the nervous system is probably the single most pivotal system in the body with connections to every organ. Any sport that impacts the nervous system the most in a negative way should be viewed with far more discretion by parents. It is simple science.

Personally, I only have a daughter. But if I had a son, I would not want him playing football. The body withers faster than the mind as you get older unless you put your mind and nervous system in harm's way thus impacting every single facet of your life. You can live without food x number of days, without water y number of days but not without healthy nervous system supply.

Players are hit in the head in nearly every sport.  Football at least allows you to wear a helmet 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Players are hit in the head in nearly every sport.  Football at least allows you to wear a helmet 

Damage to the spine and whiplash like collisions are re-enacted several times, so it is not just the head damage with the nervous system.

Just now, chad72 said:

Damage to the spine and whiplash like collisions are re-enacted several times, so it is not just the head damage with the nervous system.

How many monster shots have you seen in pop warner football

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How many monster shots have you seen in pop warner football

You can't just tell your kid it is OK to play Pop Warner but not continue on at the high school level when they get there. So, it is a decision a parent has to make in the name of their kid's well being long term, IMO. 

Just now, chad72 said:

You can't just tell your kid it is OK to play Pop Warner but not continue on at the high school level when they get there. So, it is a decision a parent has to make in the name of their kid's well being, IMO. 

You can't wrap your children in danger proof bubble wrap.  Far more serious injuries happen on trampolines and bicycles

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

You can't wrap your children in danger proof bubble wrap.  Far more serious injuries happen on trampolines and bicycles

My mind is made up, don't try convincing me, that is all I can say. I agree to disagree on the long term impact of football but don't wish to go on and on.

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yet you support that evil dangerous game

Dangerous but not evil.  

Such dangers should only be born by adults who know and understand the risks.

I also wouldn't let my kids play football.  Not only is the concussions an issue but I've met too many people who have "old football injuries" from high school that still cause them problems a decade or more later.

I've never met anyone in my life who has an old basketball injury from 10 years ago still causing them problems.  Or an old baseball injury.  Or even an old soccer injury.

I love watching football but I can't put my love for the sport above my responsibilities as a parent which are to protect my children from obvious danger.  

It's not being overprotective to see a sport with such a high injury and concussion rate, one where part of the game involves two people running into one another at full speed and deciding. . . that sport is too dangerous for me to be comfortable with my kid playing that.  

To those that wouldn't let your child play football, then why do you support the game by watching it?

As far as the OP's question, yes I do let a son play.  He actually has had more injuries when he played baseball than football.  I also have a son that doesn't play any sports and a daughter that likes to bungee jump and go rock climbing.  All three of their decisions are fine with me and realistically they are old enough now that they don't have to ask my permission.

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Personally, I only have a daughter. But if I had a son, I would not want him playing football. The body withers faster than the mind as you get older unless you put your mind and nervous system in harm's way thus impacting every single facet of your life. You can live without food x number of days, without water y number of days but not more than a few seconds without nervous system supply.

It should be also pointed out that even with modern medicine there is very little that can be done to repair the brain or nervous system once damaged.  Broken bones can be repaired, ligaments can be surgically repaired, cuts and bruises heal.  But damage to the brain can't be repaired and it's for life.  

I'm with you man and I have 2 sons (and a daughter).  Don't want my kids in collision sports or combat sports.