Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Fournette have a Zeke Elliot type of rookie season?

RockThatBlue

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Thoughts?

I think he very well could. Hes going to be very good IMO. He will probably face a lot of stacked boxes though as no one will see Bortles as a threat. He should still have a pretty good year, though

Not even close. I think he breaks a 1,000 but only because he will get the carries to do it. That OL in Jacksonville is a joke. They traded for Brandon Alberts if that tells you how bad it is down there. Combine that with a horrible qb situation and I don't think he stands a chance. He isn't going to be able to stiff arm and toss defenders down in the NFL. He is a big target and I while he has elite speed for his size...I don't necessarily see elusiveness. I think he is kinda similar to Gurley honestly....and with a horrible OL and passing game last year we saw what happened to him too.

not a chance, Zeke came in to the NFL with the best Oline in the league in front of him. Jags have a mediocre at best Oline and a QB that no defense in the league is going to respect. He will face a lot of stacked boxes all season long unless Bortles gets it together which is unlikely.

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

Worse OL and worse QB.  They will be improved since they finally fired Gus Bradley.

This.

While I don't think Dallas oline is as good at run blocking as they are at pass blocking and Zeke last years was the best RB even ignoring olines, Zeke was in lot better situation than what Fournette is entering into, though I like Fournette more than Zeke. Don't see him having the same impact.

When teams dared Dak to throw the ball by crowding the box, he responded. The true question is, will Blake respond just as well? I expect more boom or bust plays with Leonard than consistent back breakers like Zeke had but the volume should make Leonard a viable fantasy back drafted in the first 3 rounds.

If Fournette was behind that Dallas O-line with a semi-decent QB situation, I would say he might even break the 2000 yard mark. He's that much of a beast. But in Jacksonville, while he should still break 1000 (at least), he won't have the same impact of Zeke.

As others have noted....     not as good an OL,  not as good a QB....    and I'd add,  that I'm not yet sold on the coaching staff....

So,  could LF get 1,000?     Yes.    1,200   Yes.       More than that?      I don't think so....

And, as Superman noted,  Fournette might just struggle,  which I'd chalk up to all the surrounding issues on the team.      

I think Zeke is really special.....

It will depend on if Jacksonville has a quarterback who can play at a high level as Dak last year, and if the offense in general can get it together. They have play makers, just a disorganized team that needs serious help. 

Fournette won't translate to the NFL as well as Zeke.  He is big and fast in a league where everybody is big and fast.  He doesn't have the elusiveness to be as effective with the big boys.  He was just so physically dominant in college I don't know if he can count on the same in the pros.  Lastly even if he is effective he is gonna be worn down,  You saw it last year with him missing 3 games.  He isn't elusive so he will get hit, over and over by bigger faster guys add in the extra games.   He will miss games eventually, and this isn't even talking about his O-line, QB situation.  Typical Jags move.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, NewColtsFan said:

As others have noted....     not as good an OL,  not as good a QB....    and I'd add,  that I'm not yet sold on the coaching staff....

So,  could LF get 1,000?     Yes.    1,200   Yes.       More than that?      I don't think so....

And, as Superman noted,  Fournette might just struggle,  which I'd chalk up to all the surrounding issues on the team.      

I think Zeke is really special.....

It wont be the same type of rookie season as Zeke's because not as good of team not as good of o-line and the QB stinks unlike in Dallas.

No way.

Zeke had the best OL in the NFL and a solid QB (even if a rookie) to keep defenses honest.  Don't get me wrong because they did play well on their own merits but both Zeke and Dak where put in the best situation in the NFL to succeed.  

Jags OL is no where near as talented and Bortles is no where near as good as Prescott.

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know how to take things said in fantasy football but it is stated that Fournette might not even be the starter with Ivory and Yeldon on the roster. It may be a share time deal. If that is true his numbers may not be that high.

I don't think that's a concern.  Ivory is declining and Yeldon was never really that good in the first place.  

Fournette will be the primary back in there unless he's just a flat out bust.  They wouldn't spend that high of a pick on an RB for him to share carries.  

But that having been said, he's not going to have anything close to the season that Zeke had.  Fournette just landed on a bad offense.  The Cowboys offense however was one of the best in the NFL if you look at it in terms of across the board abilities.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think that's a concern.  Ivory is declining and Yeldon was never really that good in the first place.  

Fournette will be the primary back in there unless he's just a flat out bust.  They wouldn't spend that high of a pick on an RB for him to share carries.  

But that having been said, he's not going to have anything close to the season that Zeke had.  Fournette just landed on a bad offense.  The Cowboys offense however was one of the best in the NFL if you look at it in terms of across the board abilities.  

I think Joe Mixon might do better than Fournette and Dalvin Cook.

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Joe Mixon might do better than Fournette and Dalvin Cook.

I would say he's on a better offense with a better OL then those two.  

Although doesn't Cincy have some other solid RB's?  So he might share carries a bit, at least his first year.  

On 5/15/2017 at 7:05 PM, Synthetic said:

It will depend on if Jacksonville has a quarterback who can play at a high level as Dak last year, and if the offense in general can get it together. They have play makers, just a disorganized team that needs serious help. 

On 5/15/2017 at 2:53 PM, chad72 said:

When teams dared Dak to throw the ball by crowding the box, he responded. The true question is, will Blake respond just as well? I expect more boom or bust plays with Leonard than consistent back breakers like Zeke had but the volume should make Leonard a viable fantasy back drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Yeah it all depends on the rest of the Jax offense.  We've seen Bortles flirt with being a legit NFL QB.  I don't know if they have the OLine, but Bortles definitely has the weapons to succeed.

If the Jax passing game becomes a serious threat, then yes, Fournette could enjoy similar success to Zeke.

On 5/14/2017 at 1:53 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Thoughts?

I think he very well could. Hes going to be very good IMO. He will probably face a lot of stacked boxes though as no one will see Bortles as a threat. He should still have a pretty good year, though

Nope, his vision isn't even close to being on the level of Zeke's. I've been saying it since he started being hyped 2 years ago. If he doesn't have an overly obvious hole to get through he's pretty easy to contain. I still believe he's been way over-hyped..