Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Moncreif's days in Indy numbered?

LJpalmbeacher2

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

He was reportedly in on Jeffrey and then signed Aiken. Both are physical receivers. Obviously he felt a need for that type of player.

No offense intended but just because he may want physical receivers doesn't have anything to do with Moncrief's future with team.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rick_Grimes said:

The Aiken signing was to push Dorsett - not Moncrief.

nobody outside of the board room could know this for sure

remember ballard has no attachment to either one, it was probably to push them both, along with the others

4 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Don't we own a 5th year option on him?

5th year options are only for 1st round draft picks.

And you must declare early, I think before year 4,  otherwise,  the team loses the option.

Otherwise,  other drafted rookies get 4 year contracts,  and I think un-drafted free agents get 3 year deals.

5 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

The Aiken signing was to push Dorsett - not Moncrief.

Aiken and Dorsett are kind of 2 different type of receivers.  I'd think Ballard envisions Chud using either one depending upon the defense any given week and in-game time situations.

So far, the odd man out is either Rogers or Bray.

14 hours ago, theanarchist said:

No offense intended but just because he may want physical receivers doesn't have anything to do with Moncrief's future with team.

If Ballard was successful in signing Jeffrey who makes $14 million per season, and knowing T.Y. has a big contract, Do you think he would want to add another big contract to a 3rd WR(Moncreif) ?

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If Ballard was successful in signing Jeffrey who makes $14 million per season, and knowing T.Y. has a big contract, Do you think he would want to add another big contract to a 3rd WR(Moncreif) ?

It all depends on what Moncrief would draw at the time. That and the kind of value that Ballard would place on having 3 top end receivers.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:51 AM, cbear said:

If it weren't for TY and his health, I think Moncrief could become a #1.  TY isn't going anywhere of course, but if he can stay healthy, he can become a solid 2 and the Colts would be silly to let him go.  6-2 220 with 4.4 speed and he can catch the ball in traffic.  Health is the key. 

Those measureables aren't unique. There's like 10 WRs with the same measureables in this draft and most drafts.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:29 PM, BlueShoe said:

Moncrief isn't going anywhere.

Ballard wants to keep our own, and Donte fits us too well. 

Aiken is on a one year deal so it's likely he will only be here a year. 

I think if Aiken breaks out and has a better season than Moncrief than Donte very well might be gone. Just because we drafted him and he is one of our own doesn't mean we will overpay for him. 

Now, I think Moncrief will be fine. If he is healthy. He will do good things. But I wouldn't want to pay more than 7.5 million for him. 

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think if Aiken breaks out and has a better season than Moncrief than Donte very well might be gone. Just because we drafted him and he is one of our own doesn't mean we will overpay for him. 

Now, I think Moncrief will be fine. If he is healthy. He will do good things. But I wouldn't want to pay more than 7.5 million for him. 

I never said anything about over-paying for him. Not sure how someone could possibly read what I wrote and come away with that. 

And seriously; on what planet is Aiken ever going to be in Moncrief's realm. No need to answer, because it is rhetorical. 

19 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I never said anything about over-paying for him. Not sure how someone could possibly read what I wrote and come away with that. 

And seriously; on what planet is Aiken ever going to be in Moncrief's realm. No need to answer, because it is rhetorical. 

I wasn't saying you said that. Ballard said he is very careful in his approach to signing people to big contracts. Moncrief is young and has a lot of potential.

And if you read what I said, then you would realize I said if Aiken has a breakout season and a better season than Moncrief. Then Moncrief could be let go. Aiken could be resigned for cheaper. Jeffery is a free agent next year. We tried to go after him already. Obviously Ballard doesn't think Donte is a star. I like Moncrief... he has done some good things. He is an above average number 2 WHEN healthy. But he isn't a top receiver. Maybe next year he shows us otherwise. We will see. 

I don't see Ballard re-signing Moncrief...regardless of this upcoming season. Either he has a breakout season and prices himself out of the Colts range...or he doesn't and Ballard won't be willing to overpay to retain him. 

Ballard will likely draft a WR next season...or sign one in FA. The draft class at WR will be deep and there are some very good WRs who could hit FA.

Also, there's always a chance that he drafts Howard, which would change the structure of the offense to be even more TE-heavy...and giving big money to a WR2 wouldn't be worth it. 

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't see Ballard re-signing Moncrief...regardless of this upcoming season. Either he has a breakout season and prices himself out of the Colts range...or he doesn't and Ballard won't be willing to overpay to retain him. 

Ballard will likely draft a WR next season...or sign one in FA. The draft class at WR will be deep and there are some very good WRs who could hit FA.

Also, there's always a chance that he drafts Howard, which would change the structure of the offense to be even more TE-heavy...and giving big money to a WR2 wouldn't be worth it. 

What Moncrief does this up coming season will determine if he is resigned. No one at this point knows what he might want to resign for. To assume he will price himself too high has yet to be determined.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:11 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Player "A": 27 years old with 5 years in the league:

51 games/20 started- 128 receptions (1,539 yds) for a 12.0 yd per avg- 9 TD's.

Player "B": 23 years old with 3 years in the league:

41 games/19 started- 126 receptions (1,484 yds) for a 11.8 yd per avg.- 16 TD's.

Player "C": 24 years old with 2 years in the league:

26 games played/7 started- 51 receptions (753 yds) for a 14.8 yd per avg- 3 TD's.

Who are they?

Who are they?

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I wasn't saying you said that. Ballard said he is very careful in his approach to signing people to big contracts. Moncrief is young and has a lot of potential.

And if you read what I said, then you would realize I said if Aiken has a breakout season and a better season than Moncrief. Then Moncrief could be let go. Aiken could be resigned for cheaper. Jeffery is a free agent next year. We tried to go after him already. Obviously Ballard doesn't think Donte is a star. I like Moncrief... he has done some good things. He is an above average number 2 WHEN healthy. But he isn't a top receiver. Maybe next year he shows us otherwise. We will see. 

I'm not sure how you, or anyone else,  can conclude what Ballard feels about Moncrief,  or any other player?

No one has any idea what he thinks.....  plus,  no one has any idea what type of contract Ballard may have offered already.....     perhaps he's offered a contract that Moncrief has turned down?     No one here knows.

Jumping to conclusions based on little known evidence is one of the biggest flaws of any Internet Fan Message Board.     There's just not enough that any of us knows to make these kind of leaps.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure how you, or anyone else,  can conclude what Ballard feels about Moncrief,  or any other player?

No one has any idea what he thinks.....  plus,  no one has any idea what type of contract Ballard may have offered already.....     perhaps he's offered a contract that Moncrief has turned down?     No one here knows.

Jumping to conclusions based on little known evidence is one of the biggest flaws of any Internet Fan Message Board.     There's just not enough that any of us knows to make these kind of leaps.....

I wouldn't call it a flaw at all. In fact, it's the main premise that a sports forum is built around. Trying to put pieces of the puzzle together on certain things and predicting the future. That's how conversation is started a lot of the time in particular and it keeps people engaged. Without people jumping to conclusions with little evidence, it'd just be people reporting facts on twitter and chat on gameday, which wouldn't be a lot of fun by itself.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I wouldn't call it a flaw at all. In fact, it's the main premise that a sports forum is built around. Trying to put pieces of the puzzle together on certain things and predicting the future. That's how conversation is started a lot of the time in particular and it keeps people engaged. Without people jumping to conclusions with little evidence, it'd just be people reporting facts on twitter and chat on gameday, which wouldn't be a lot of fun by itself.

Well.....

There's good conversation and then there's.....      NOT so good conversation.

And this website has plenty of both.     I'd love to have more of the good kind and less of the NOT so good kind.

Deciding now that a poster here --- any poster here --- knows what Chris Ballard thinks of a player is ridiculous because none of us knows anything.    Ballard may love the guy.    He may like the guy.    He may not like him.   But nobody knows.      So, stating as fact that Ballard doesn't like someone is a dog that just won't hunt.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....

And this website has plenty of both.     I'd love to have more of the good kind and less of the NOT so good kind.

Deciding now that a poster here --- any poster here --- knows what Chris Ballard thinks of a player is ridiculous because none of us knows anything.    Ballard may love the guy.    He may like the guy.    He may not like him.   But nobody knows.      So, stating as fact that Ballard doesn't like someone is a dog that just won't hunt.....

I agree. As long as that that person is answering it like an opinion and everyone realizes it's an opinion, then everything is solid. It gets when people are telling opinions as facts that it starts to head south. You see plenty of both, but it's usually just a lot of debating from my point of view. Some good points of view, and some bad ones, but as long as we all acknowledge these point of views as opinions when they are, then I see nothing wrong with it. I think it just gets out of control when there are rumors, mostly during FA and the draft, and people take it out of context at times, myself included.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. As long as that that person is answering it like an opinion and everyone realizes it's an opinion, then everything is solid. It gets when people are telling opinions as facts that it starts to head south. You see plenty of both, but it's usually just a lot of debating from my point of view. Some good points of view, and some bad ones, but as long as we all acknowledge these point of views as opinions when they are, then I see nothing wrong with it. I think it just gets out of control when there are rumors, mostly during FA and the draft, and people take it out of context at times, myself included.

Fair enough.....

But here was the sentence that jumped out at me....    I'm cutting and pasting here....

"Obviously Ballard doesn't think Donte is a star."

The word "obviously" was what caught my eye....

What's so obvious?     That Moncrief hasn't signed a new deal yet?     Does anyone know if the offer has even been made?      Or that it won't be made next week, or next month,  or before the season even starts?   There's no reason for anyone to jump the gun yet....    way too much time left on the calendar....      It's possible that Ballard is giving him a modest offer and that Moncrief is betting on himself to have his best year and so he's turned down any possible offer hoping for better a year from now.     But that doesn't mean that CB doesn't think Moncrief isn't a star....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Fair enough.....

But here was the sentence that jumped out at me....    I'm cutting and pasting here....

"Obviously Ballard doesn't think Donte is a star."

The word "obviously" was what caught my eye....

What's so obvious?     That Moncrief hasn't signed a new deal yet?     Does anyone know if the offer has even been made?      Or that it won't be made next week, or next month,  or before the season even starts?   There's no reason for anyone to jump the gun yet....    way too much time left on the calendar....      It's possible that Ballard is giving him a modest offer and that Moncrief is betting on himself to have his best year and so he's turned down any possible offer hoping for better a year from now.     But that doesn't mean that CB doesn't think Moncrief isn't a star....

I think that's based on two things from the poster. Impatience that his contract is running out, and his production. When I say production, I mean his stats comparatively speaking to TY Hilton, who is a #1 receiver and an absolute star at WR on our team. Obviously we have no idea how Ballard values him as it's kept quiet until he either gets signed, extended, or becomes a FA, but the longer it takes, the more likely it is he isn't getting signed or extended in people's eyes, despite the fact that Ballard just became the new GM. It's also possible the poster wasn't thinking. Just never know.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What Moncrief does this up coming season will determine if he is resigned. No one at this point knows what he might want to resign for. To assume he will price himself too high has yet to be determined.

It's just a feeling I have...doesn't have anything to do with this notion that Ballard doesn't like Moncrief or whatever that one guy tweeted.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

It's just a feeling I have...doesn't have anything to do with this notion that Ballard doesn't like Moncrief or whatever that one guy tweeted.

Fair enough. This thread is dumbfounding to me. I don't understand the negative vibes that has almost turned into an almost hate attitude aimed at Moncrief. He is still very young and until he got injured he was maturing into a pretty good receiver. He makes plays in the end zone and that was what he was brought in for. By no fault of his own he is playing on a team where the QB does not have time to go through his progressions and force feeds Hilton. When Hilton is not gone to the TE then becomes the next guy that becomes the dump off guy because Luck is normally running for his life.

On 3/24/2017 at 7:55 AM, DougDew said:

Well, let me clarify.  Grigson signed Avery, Nicks, AJ, DaJerk Rogers, Brazil, Griff, and drafted Moncrief and Dorsett.  Fleener failed to live up to expectations.

He resigned DA, who has been traded, but didn't extend Doyle.

After 5 years, he only spent one first round draft choice on a WR (in a pass happy offense) and generally failed to adequately address the receiving corps except for TY.  In five years, he added one...one.....receiver who we can say definitively is reliably good.

I doubt that he got fired for resigning AC and drafting Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Clark, and Good, and making these good decisions about the Oline.

I'm still not sure what you are even trying to argue about, but Grigson got fired because he wasn't good at his job. 

Moncrief will be fine, it's Dorsett whose days are numbered.
The signing and the production of Aiken will bring down Moncrief's asking price.
I expect Moncrief to step it up this year. Dorsett on the other hand could be getting cut unless he proves he can catch the ball.

On 3/26/2017 at 0:39 PM, rock8591 said:

This thread is a bunch of rumor creating and gossip babbling nonsense.

Everything's speculation/rumor this time of the year, this thread's no different than any of the others, except for the fact that there seems to be 2 very distinct points of view regarding Donte Moncrief.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:02 PM, Indy1996 said:

Do you even know what he did in his carrer cuz you seem to + about ballard when he is helping us like ugh

I don't know what you're asking, to be honest. But I don't have any problem or beef with Ballard. I just think people are knighting him when he hasn't done anything yet.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....

That's true. But you would have to call almost everyone out if you are saying I'm jumping to conclusions. Most of us base what we say from an inside source or our opinion. In my case, many sources(including Ian Rapport) said we were in the top 2 running to get Jeffery. Do you really think Ballard would have even went after him if he thought Donte was a star and was a top receiver? You don't bring in Jeffery if you have 100% confidence in Moncrief being a top receiver. We also wouldn't have been able to afford Moncrief next year had we signed Jeffery. That isn't really jumping to conclusions either. Technically, yes,  we could have afforded all three, but you don't pay 3 receivers over 10 million a piece(if Moncrief was considered a star and had a good season he would get over that), and still build a good defense. Maybe Moncrief does have a great year, I hope so. I think he is capable. But I'm sticking to my educated guess that Moncrief isn't considered a "big-time player or star" by Ballard(possibly Pagano). 

On 3/26/2017 at 5:37 PM, BlueShoe said:

How could you possibly know that? You're reaching far to assume that. 

Look to my last post. I don't "know." I just don't see why he would go hard after Jeffery(a big bodied receiver) if he thought Moncrief could fill that role. Moncrief has been a decent number 2. I think he will be solid. Hopefully have a 900-1100 yard season. But he isn't a "star." Not yet anyways. I'm sure Pagano and Chud have talked to Ballard about the offense. And possibly why he went after Jeffery. None of us will know anything for a fact until it happens or we hear it from Ballard himself, but we can sure take hints and use the facts to make a very educated guess.