Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Anyone Think #18 Will Actually Be Here?

jriddy5000son

Agreed.

I'm not a die-hard Peyton fan boy. From an objective standpoint, I think he's the best thing for our team for the next few years and I don't think retaining him should affect our future negatively.

I think alot of people have convinced themselves that releasing him is the best option because of the frustration of last season.

All that being said, I do have a disgusting feeling in my gut that Manning is already one foot out the door.

I agree and I also think Peyton sees the writing on the wall and if Irsay has his decision already made he should just go ahead and release him and let Peyton if able to play go ahead with his career with another team.

I would like to see Peyton if able to finish his career with the Colts but I'm thinking that the media has ruined his relationship with Irsay with all this garbage. If that is the situation that is bad for Irsay and Peyton.

I just wish the media would shut up and let us have a great SB but that's like asking for snow in July. haha

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what everyone said about manning too. they thought he was being over rated when the colts took him with the first pick and look what he has done for the colts. playoffs almost every year of his career, he had 1 losing season his whole career (rookie season) 4 time MVP, Superbowl champ.2 superbowl appearances, pro bowler just about every year of his career, fastest to 50,000 yards passing. theres always a risk in drafting a QB and him not living up to the hype. and if he dont, then we draft another QB in 2 or 3 years. thank god for the new CBA Luck cant get the big payday like Bradford and Stafford got. since they set a limit to how much first rounders can make their first contract. make him prove his self for 3 or 4 years then sign him to a bigger contract if he produces like hes suppose to.

I know this is beside the point, but just for the sake of clarification, didn't Manning go 6-10 in 2001? So that would be 2 losing seasons as a starter in the NFL.

That's when Manning's bonus has to be paid. The Colts will not be the same franchise without Manning. Manning turned the Colts into one of the most DOMINANT franchises in the NFL. Manning built Lucas Oil Stadium(fans would still be watching games in the RCA Dome without Manning being here). Manning is the reason the Super Bowl is in Indy. The NFL decides the Super Bowl cities based on team performance and their stadium. We wouldn't have the stadium or the past winning seasons without Manning. The city probably wouldn't even have a professional football team. Many fans will leave the Colts camp if Manning is gone, I WILL NOT, however, I'm going to be prepared to see many miserable years ahead of us, unless Luck is the next Manning, which is highly doubtful, because Peyton Manning's don't come around too often.

I know that's when the bonus date is, but why do people insist that a decision has to be made now, or even before then? If I'm Irsay I wait until that date before I say yes or no, unless a miracle happens before then that Manning's nerve is 100%. I realize everything that Manning has done for this team, city, state, and the NFL but if the guy can't make the throws necessary due to weakness of the muscles or numbness in the arm then why should you continue to pay the man? Out of sentiment? Out of "respect"? It's always easier to spend somebody else's money. All players careers come to an end, be it altogether or with a particular team. The man can't play forever and to just say that he deserves to continue to be paid because of what he did, well then the 49ers should still be giving payroll checks to Montana. Get real!

I know that's when the bonus date is, but why do people insist that a decision has to be made now, or even before then? If I'm Irsay I wait until that date before I say yes or no, unless a miracle happens before then that Manning's nerve is 100%. I realize everything that Manning has done for this team, city, state, and the NFL but if the guy can't make the throws necessary due to weakness of the muscles or numbness in the arm then why should you continue to pay the man? Out of sentiment? Out of "respect"? It's always easier to spend somebody else's money. All players careers come to an end, be it altogether or with a particular team. The man can't play forever and to just say that he deserves to continue to be paid because of what he did, well then the 49ers should still be giving payroll checks to Montana. Get real!

Manning wants the decision to be made sooner rather than later. If he is moving onto another team, he wants to start rehabbing there, have a chance to get to know his new team mates, the staff, coaches, offensive philosophy etc..

If he's not goint to remain a Colt, then why wait. I'm sure he is throwing 3-5 days a week now, and he would prefer to throw to his new receivers to work on things in hopes that he plays next season. That's why we are seeing a full force media blitz by the Manning camp. He wants to pressure on Irsay to make the decision.

I'd put it at about a 10% chance that he's back with the Colts, 20% chance that he retires (but not until closer to the season), and a 70% chance he signs with another team.

There's so many changes on the Colts, it would be like playing with a new team anyway. I think the Colts would prefer he retired.

Coach-wise there are 100% changes..

but we still have more than 1/2 the starting lineup from the 16-3 team in 2009 and most of the offense

Let's see how everyone feels next December when Manning has his new team at the top of their conference and Colts fans are sitting in LOS with paper bags on their heads. I've always been a Colts fan and will remain one regardless of what happens but let's face the facts, the Indy Colts were doormats before Manning was here and they will garbage again after he's gone, whether it's next season or whenever he retires. This season was just a small sampling of what Colts fans have to look forward to with life after Manning.

Let's see how everyone feels next December when Manning has his new team at the top of their conference and Colts fans are sitting in LOS with paper bags on their heads. I've always been a Colts fan and will remain one regardless of what happens but let's face the facts, the Indy Colts were doormats before Manning was here and they will garbage again after he's gone, whether it's next season or whenever he retires. This season was just a small sampling of what Colts fans have to look forward to with life after Manning.

Nonsense.

I do not understand how all the fans on this forum one year would never even considering the thought of getting rid of Manning. Now him being hurt and out for the season our best interest is to release Manning for a rookie an that still could flop in the big league.

I think that we should trade the pick and win the super bowl next year!!

I do not understand how all the fans on this forum one year would never even considering the thought of getting rid of Manning. Now him being hurt and out for the season our best interest is to release Manning for a rookie an that still could flop in the big league.

I think that we should trade the pick and win the super bowl next year!!

Maybe because a year ago he didn't have his 3rd surgery? Maybe a year ago we didn't know the Colts would have the #1 pick? A year ago he was right on track to start the 2011 season. C'mon people!

Watch luck suck like George did the last time we gave up talented player which blew up in our face

Who exactly did the Colts give up that was talented for Jeff George?

Are you forgetting the Colts took one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game in 1998? We gave up Jim Harbaugh for him, how did that work out?

Nonsense.

Thats not nonsense at all. Without Manning I'd bet a months pay we don't make the playoffs for 2-3 years.

What was the only real difference between the 2011 Colts and the 20010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 Colts?

Peyton didn't play for us, and we got our rears handed to us. But wait! We are heading in a new direction, rebuilding....we tore it all down and now we have a new look and a new direction going forward! Right?

Look at the history of the NFL and tell me what the results are for "rebuilding" phases for NFL teams? Usually years of strife and failure.

Thats not nonsense at all. Without Manning I'd bet a months pay we don't make the playoffs for 2-3 years.

What was the only real difference between the 2011 Colts and the 20010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 Colts?

Peyton didn't play for us, and we got our rears handed to us. But wait! We are heading in a new direction, rebuilding....we tore it all down and now we have a new look and a new direction going forward! Right?

Look at the history of the NFL and tell me what the results are for "rebuilding" phases for NFL teams? Usually years of strife and failure.

Jags and Titans are in the same place the Colts are. Getting to the playoffs means beat out three other teams now, not four like it used to be. And the AFC South is a mess. The Texans have no history of winning, no sure thing they know how to repeat next year.

The Colts showed huge signs of trouble in 2010. 2-14 was horrific last year, but there were mounting signs the year before. It's easy to look back at 2010 and say playoff team, all was good, but that team was 6-6 after a third straight loss on 12/5/10. They were showing signs then of issues which needed serious fixing.

As an aside, history also shows us wild card teams have won four of the last ten Super Bowls - 40% of the teams didn't even need to win their own division. You don't even have to be "great" to win it all any more - you gotta be playing the best in January.

3 years before Manning was here, the Colts were one dropped pass away from the SB? Remember that? The hail mary to Bailey? He almost had it. Harbaugh had a 100 rating in the regular season.

I find it laughable that no one wants to give ANYONE else except Manning a chance. The logic is basically with Manning the Colts are going to be great and in the SB hunt every year, without Manning they are going to be doormats forever. Lol. I'm sure the 49ers fans would agree as well when Montana left.

I find it laughable that no one wants to give ANYONE else except Manning a chance. The logic is basically with Manning the Colts are going to be great and in the SB hunt every year, without Manning they are going to be doormats forever. Lol. I'm sure the 49ers fans would agree as well when Montana left.

You guys can keep on fantasizing that Luck will step right in and we'll be winning championships right off the bat. It's not going to happen.

SF had a known quantity in Young already on board, not a rookie who hasn't even been drafted yet.

I don't want to wait for years to even get into the playoffs again.

3 years before Manning was here, the Colts were one dropped pass away from the SB? Remember that? The hail mary to Bailey? He almost had it. Harbaugh had a 100 rating in the regular season.

The AFC was horrid back then, absolutely terrible.

Jags and Titans are in the same place the Colts are. Getting to the playoffs means beat out three other teams now, not four like it used to be. And the AFC South is a mess. The Texans have no history of winning, no sure thing they know how to repeat next year.

So because we're as much of a mess as two of the worst teams in the NFL, we should somehow feel encouraged?

The Colts showed huge signs of trouble in 2010. 2-14 was horrific last year, but there were mounting signs the year before. It's easy to look back at 2010 and say playoff team, all was good, but that team was 6-6 after a third straight loss on 12/5/10. They were showing signs then of issues which needed serious fixing.

What was shown in 2010 was that Manning can make the playoffs with any team. Just as I will stake my reputation that whatever team has Manning next season WILL make the playoffs......ANY team!

As an aside, history also shows us wild card teams have won four of the last ten Super Bowls - 40% of the teams didn't even need to win their own division. You don't even have to be "great" to win it all any more - you gotta be playing the best in January.

The Lions haven't won a playoff game for like 54 years, just an example of how hard it is to #1) Make the playoffs.....#2) win a playoff game. I say you have to be great to play your best in January.

You guys can keep on fantasizing that Luck will step right in and we'll be winning championships right off the bat. It's not going to happen.

SF had a known quantity in Young already on board, not a rookie who hasn't even been drafted yet.

So because we're as much of a mess as two of the worst teams in the NFL, we should somehow feel encouraged?

What was shown in 2010 was that Manning can make the playoffs with any team. Just as I will stake my reputation that whatever team has Manning next season WILL make the playoffs......ANY team!

The Lions haven't won a playoff game for like 54 years, just an example of how hard it is to #1) Make the playoffs.....#2) win a playoff game. I say you have to be great to play your best in January.

I'm not fantasizing, I have seen greatness come, and greatness go, and I will not despair over the end of an era, whether that be in a couple weeks or a couple years. Manning is the best QB the Colts will ever have. Of course the same was likely said in the 50s and 60s too, and those folks all turned out to be wrong (but didn't have fan forums to debate it). The point to me is, one day Manning will be doing something other than playing QB for the Colts, and that to me doesn't mean crash and burn. It means a new way has to be established to win again. And that, should it happen sooner than I hope, sooner than most want, is possible based on the division they play in, and the landscape of the NFL, where teams can and have gone from 3-13 to the playoffs and contention the following year.

The Lions, the Cubs, the Maple Leafs.... we can all list the absurd anomolies of sports. Like the Seahawks making it a few years ago, some teams simply don't make it too. It works both ways.

Your stance that you don't want to wait for years is great, even admirable, understandable, but a) there is no absolute promise of demise without PM, and b) we just lived through the winningest stretch in NFL history, meaning it had never happened before, and likely won't again any time soon.

I'm a fan of the Baltimore Orioles, a storied franchise with tons of HOFers. They last won a WS in 1983. Were last relevant in the mid-90s. Sometimes in sports you just don't have the pieces, the ownership, the players, the chance (Yankees and Red Sox spending).... 'Don't want to wait' as a fan is something you have no control over whatsoever.

Hey didn't you know that with our new QB we will be right back in the playoff hunt next year? Your behind in your reading ruksak. haha

I'm not fantasizing, I have seen greatness come, and greatness go, and I will not despair over the end of an era, whether that be in a couple weeks or a couple years.

For me it's not that it's the end of an era (If indeed Manning goes). It's why the era ended that would bother me greatly. It is not his time.

I can't see Irsay paying the 28 million without knowing for sure that Peyton's nerve has regenerated. Condon said that it was possible to push back the March 8th deadline for the payment, but it did not sound like he was willing to do that. To me if Peyton really wants to stay in Indy he would be willing to push back the date knowing that it would make little sense for Irsay to pay it without more assurances. However, I do not think that Peyton wants to be in Indy if the Colts draft Luck, given his belief that a QB taken that high in the draft should start right away just like he did. That being said, I will be very sad to see Manning in another uniform. I would really like to see Peyton retire as an Indianapolis Colt.

I think next year will be a tough one if Manning isn't aboard, but I'm definitely not buying this years of being a bad team mumbo jumbo. Yeah maybe 2-3 years max if that IMO. I have a feeling Irsay and Grigson will do whatever it takes to get the team back to a consistant playoff caliber team, and I don't see them settling for anything less. I for one think Luck will be a superstar, the kid has work ethic, he's smart and athletic just to name a few good things about him. Will he be the next Manning? Probably not, but the kid will be good. Thinking he will be like Jeff George or a major bust is :facepalm: material. I don't foresee him being the biggest bust in history, barring a horrible injury or something else that hopefully won't happen. On another note, what's to say the Colts wouldn't be bad next year even with Peyton? Peyton IS my favorite player in NFL history, along with Edgerrin and I still easily think Luck will be a superstar. It will be funny all the people jumping on Lucks bandwagon if he brings success to the Colts, that's something I look forward to seeing. I'll take the word of all the various professionals who constantly praise how good Luck is and will be in the NFL over people on this forum any day. That being said, yeah of course the possibility is there for him to be a bust. It's interesting to see how many bandwagon fans have appeared now that Manning might not be on board. I was a Colts fan before Manning and even though it would be hard to see him on another team, I will always bleed blue. I bid you adieu, I'm going to go party downtown.

I don't see any way at this point.

Condon said Peyton wants to resolve it NOW.

He's cleared "to play" in his mind and the timing for him is best NOW.

Irsay would be foolish to make a decision now .

Theres too much question (actually looking bad) about the nerve condition. (The real problem)

If Peyton does sign a contract, big or small, with another team, at least that team will have the time to see if the nerve improves or I'm sure the contract will protect them.

Irsay does not have that luxury, unfortunately. Its an awful big gamble.

I was hoping maybe the Colts would be one of those teams with the opportunity.

Now I'm not sure if Irsay or peyton wants that. Very confusing.

I'm not sure if Irsay wants Luck or RG3 (meaning QB) with 1st pick, or wants to trade 1st and keep Manning. (although it looks like a stretch now)

I'm not sure if manning just can't see ANY chance next year with new coaches and current roster (which is fair), and if HE in fact wants to leave.

I'm not sure if the media drove a wedge between 2 guys that might have worked it out.

I'm not sure if Manning wouldn't "play" with Luck or if Luck would "hold out" and demand a trade.

Maybe if the Super Bowl were in another town this year thinks would have gone differently. A whole lot of Maybes, Ifs, whens,

As you can see, I'm not sure of alot!

But when you add it all up. Take emotion out and just look at the situation.

it just doesn't look likely.

I can't see Irsay paying the 28 million without knowing for sure that Peyton's nerve has regenerated. Condon said that it was possible to push back the March 8th deadline for the payment, but it did not sound like he was willing to do that. To me if Peyton really wants to stay in Indy he would be willing to push back the date knowing that it would make little sense for Irsay to pay it without more assurances. However, I do not think that Peyton wants to be in Indy if the Colts draft Luck, given his belief that a QB taken that high in the draft should start right away just like he did. That being said, I will be very sad to see Manning in another uniform. I would really like to see Peyton retire as an Indianapolis Colt.

I could not have said it better.

You put my thoughts on paper. This is how I kinda see it too.

I'm not happy about it, but there it is.

But I don't know why he'd be so concerned about Luck on team as long as he was #2 while peyton was there.

You could make a case that with Orlovsky the starter from day one, the team could have gone . 500 and probably should have, TB, Pitt and KC were all winnable iirc.

In honesty last year is meaningless, Painter was by far the worst starter last season in the game.

So if Luck has a decent Rookie year, I dont think we"ll have to bag it.

Condon said that it was possible to push back the March 8th deadline for the payment, but it did not sound like he was willing to do that. To me if Peyton really wants to stay in Indy he would be willing to push back the date knowing that it would make little sense for Irsay to pay it without more assurances. However, I do not think that Peyton wants to be in Indy if the Colts draft Luck, given his belief that a QB taken that high in the draft should start right away just like he did.

Well, if Peyton were healthy enough, they would draft Luck anyway because he could be a valuable trade later on in the preseason.

The deadline can be moved, and it would mean Peyton could further train at the complex. Since everyone knows it’s his nerve and tricep strength that are the career question marks, not his neck I’m hoping he’ll eventually agree to a delay after the SB media storm has passed. That’s in his best interests too. I want him to stay because with the interesting staff changes and talent we have, especially favorite Peyton targets like Austin Collie, Manning could try for a late career SB push much like Elway’s.

Now if only Manning could see that. Maybe he does.

Mannings my favorite player ever, I'll be crushed, but I'm getting ready for what I believe is the reality. Do you know how hard it would be to cheer against him if he faced us? Lol.

I love Manning, too. I'd be devastated. I realize that it's a business, though, but it doesn't make it any easier. I couldn't watch the game if he were on a team playing against Indy.

You could make a case that with Orlovsky the starter from day one, the team could have gone . 500 and probably should have, TB, Pitt and KC were all winnable iirc.

In honesty last year is meaningless, Painter was by far the worst starter last season in the game.

So if Luck has a decent Rookie year, I dont think we"ll have to bag it.

For me it's not just Luck. We've changed so much, in such little time, to dare to even compare what we are to what we were is senseless if Manning is gone. Even if Luck has as good of a season as Newton (a record breaking rookie showing) I have no trouble seeing us finish about the same as the Panthers did.

For me it's not just Luck. We've changed so much, in such little time, to dare to even compare what we are to what we were is senseless if Manning is gone. Even if Luck has as good of a season as Newton (a record breaking rookie showing) I have no trouble seeing us finish about the same as the Panthers did.

I don't either, but one year fix's don't really exist, got that. So if Luck and the new brass have to grow together, so be it.

What's after that is the bigger issue, and where all the potential upside to this is at.

Not to intentionally go in large circles with you and others, but life after Manning and no hot shot QB to follow up 18, IMO would lead to 3 or 4 seasons of doo doo football.

I think it's a gamble either way you go.

I have no doubt though that Irsay wants his team win and will act with that priority in mind.

To be fair, with the exception of a year or two, we really haven't had any success without manning. So I understand why fans are leery about releasing him, because his time here was really the only formula for success we've had (well, since Baltimore of course)

Skip all that...Jeff Beck is cooler than this drama. I'm gonna go jump on the drums now and jam with the closer to side one on blow by blow..

Just saw him in October at the Paramount in Portland. I think he is actually still getting better. Best performance I have ever seen....and I have seen a lot of concerts.

I believe we will try our best to retain Manning and draft Luck. I take Manning and Irsay at their word, which is that Manning wants to remain a Colts until he retires, and that Irsay will keep Manning at any cost if he's healthy. I think he will be healthy, and both sides will come to an agreement here. Luck will sit for a few years while Manning plays out the remainder of his career (I can't imagine it will be more than 2-3 years.)

Just saw him in October at the Paramount in Portland. I think he is actually still getting better. Best performance I have ever seen....and I have seen a lot of concerts.

Joe Satriani amongst many other great players say the same about Beck. Tal and Vinny Coluita (Zappa's greatest drummer) round out one of the great trio's basically ever.

Nobody said anything about Luck stepping in and winning a championship. It sounds like you are shoving words in my mouth. My point was it is very possible for another QB to have success outside of Manning. Manning is not the only quarterback that has and will continue to win championships. It is very possible Luck could win a championship here. I've already posted but back then when Young was on the team he was already declared a "bust" because of his 2 years in TB.

So just because a conference is weak that makes a teams accomplishment null? What kind of argument is that? The NFC was pretty weak for the earlier part of the 2000s but that doesn't mean we should look down on any NFC teams accomplishments in that time frame.

Im under no illusion that Luck will come in and start winning championships his 1st yr., but all this nonsense that the Colts will struggle for yrs. and yrs. without Manning is ridiculous. We have a new coaching staff that actually has a resume and a pedigree. We could actually build a balanced team to help support Luck instead of the crap Polian put around Manning for 10+ yrs.. Luck could easily start having success very early on in his career with a more balanced team and a coaching staff thats not incredibly terrible. Some people are making it out like it is impossible to have success unless you have a guy named Peyton Manning on the roster and its remarkably short-sighted. Manning has been here for 14 yrs. and we have 1 championship to show for it. There will be life and success after Manning and people need to realize that.