Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Anyone Think #18 Will Actually Be Here?

jriddy5000son

Not sarcasm, just an honest question. After that last tweet, it's becoming obvious to me this doesn't end well. All the talk of balance, one guy shouldn't make a team 2-14, the firings of people who put his team in a position to be Manning dependent, all new coordinators who are pretty young and raw, first time head coach and gm. It seems that we are going to be revamping and I think we take Luck and cut the sheriff. It's going to be a sad day if true. It will be so odd to see so many greats gone. Because if Peyton goes, Saturday retires, Wayne's gone, Garcons probably back and maybe Mathis, but it will be a new offense completely.m I'm sure Addais cut eventually too since Brown and Carter are coming on.

I would be stunned if he does NOT return to the Colts. I think its obvious too. He will be back.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Tony Dungy thinks he'll be back. Keep in mind that Tony didn't believe that a few weeks ago.

From Tony:

“I don’t think there’s any question of what’s going on. It’s a medical issue,” said Dungy. “I’ve talked to Jim Irsay enough. Jim is not worried about the bonus money. He’s not worried about finding ways to do it. … There’s a special bond there. It goes even beyond just owner and quarterback. No one knows what that’s going to be, if Peyton’s going to be able to play and what the medical deal is. Personally, I don’t see Peyton playing for another team and in another jersey. I don’t think Jim wants that. I don’t think Peyton wants that. My opinion, I think he’s going to play here if he’s physically able to play. That’s the question mark. When that will be known, I don’t know when that’s going to be.”

So just because a conference is weak that makes a teams accomplishment null? What kind of argument is that? The NFC was pretty weak for the earlier part of the 2000s but that doesn't mean we should look down on any NFC teams accomplishments in that time frame.

Not "null", but it must be considered. The AFC was so detached from where the NFC was that it seemed any AFC team could stumble into the SB. The Colts '95 season was nothing short of magical an they still stand as my favorite Colts squad. Anywho....things are different these days as free-agency provided balance to the league. Now the dominant teams are the teams that are managed and coached well, not like what we saw in the '80s where a franchise seemed to be able to buy a playoff birth.

Im under no illusion that Luck will come in and start winning championships his 1st yr., but all this nonsense that the Colts will struggle for yrs. and yrs. without Manning is ridiculous.

History disagrees with you. Teams don't get gutted from top to bottom, start a rookie QB and find success in today's NFL.

We have a new coaching staff that actually has a resume and a pedigree. We could actually build a balanced team to help support Luck instead of the crap Polian put around Manning for 10+ yrs.

Don't get too excited about these coaches. I've seen HoF coaches fail miserably when trying to pick up a franchise (Gibbs).

Luck could easily start having success very early on in his career with a more balanced team and a coaching staff thats not incredibly terrible.

"Early in his career"? Yea, sure. Like after a few years. Since when do NFL teams plan on mediocrity with hopes for the future?

Is there anyone willing to claim that Luck gives us a better chance of winning a SB in the next few years over Manning? Anyone?

If the answer is no than why would we not want to take our best shot at the championship?

Some people are making it out like it is impossible to have success unless you have a guy named Peyton Manning on the roster and its remarkably short-sighted.

I hear ya, and I'm trying hard to not sound like one of those people. Thing is......he's on our team, right now.

Manning has been here for 14 yrs. and we have 1 championship to show for it.

I really hate this. Yes, we should've gotten more because we had Manning, and that's the only reason. However, we have 1 more than most franchises in the last 10 years.

There will be life and success after Manning and people need to realize that.

Of course there will be. But now is not the time. Now is the time to prepare for the future while winning today. I know the money is funny with Manning. If they can make it work we might get Luck a SB ring before he ever starts.

Is there anyone willing to claim that Luck gives us a better chance of winning a SB in the next few years over Manning? Anyone?

That's not the whole question.

The whole question is this:

Is there anyone willing to claim that Luck gives us a better chance of winning more SBs in the next 14 years over Manning?

Given what I know today, I would answer yes.

This was a similar question that the Colts answered in 1998, when they traded Jim Harbaugh and drafted Manning.

That's not the whole question.

The whole question is this:

Is there anyone willing to claim that Luck gives us a better chance of winning more SBs in the next 14 years over Manning?

Given what I know today, I would answer yes.

This was a similar question that the Colts answered in 1998, when they traded Jim Harbaugh and drafted Manning.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would prefer a transition period, rather than a sudden change at QB. Of course Peyton can't play forever, but he can play now and we must not choose a rookie as our starter over the best QB of all time. Toward your Harbaugh reference, Harbaugh was no Manning. Not even close.

I want a SB win in 2012.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would prefer a transition period, rather than a sudden change at QB. Of course Peyton can't play forever, but he can play now and we must not choose a rookie as our starter over the best QB of all time. Toward your Harbaugh reference, Harbaugh was no Manning. Not even close.

I want a SB win in 2012.

That's great that you realize that PM cannot play forever. However, it is somewhat disconcerting that you think he can play now. Given what we know today about his neck surgeries, and the uncertainties regarding his performance ability that stem from his nerve regeneration issue, how can you be so sure?

That's great that you realize that PM cannot play forever. However, it is somewhat disconcerting that you think he can play now. Given what we know today about his neck surgeries, and the uncertainties regarding his performance ability that stem from his nerve regeneration issue, how can you be so sure?

Because I choose to ignore the noise. The "story" that he's done in the NFL has been peddled behind a faulty sentiment that he cannot perform as needed. Simply put, I do not believe the garbage about him possibly never recovering. It's just media fodder that has everyone in a panic.

I'll wait for official word before I even consider that he won't be back. Don't confuse my position with denial. Everything I've heard just sounds like noise.

I would be stunned if he does NOT return to the Colts. I think its obvious too. He will be back.

Not being rude. But how can you say it's obvious? By all of the childish banter? By Irsay calling him a politician and bringing in an entirely new regime and speaking on rebuilding and this being reminiscent of 98? I fail to see the obviousness.

Because I choose to ignore the noise. The "story" that he's done in the NFL has been peddled behind a faulty sentiment that he cannot perform as needed. Simply put, I do not believe the garbage about him possibly never recovering. It's just media fodder that has everyone in a panic.

I'll wait for official word before I even consider that he won't be back. Don't confuse my position with denial. Everything I've heard just sounds like noise.

Okay, thanks for explaining your position.

However, I think it is odd, that in the face of reliable information, you favor the default position that PM is the same as he ever was, and therefore can perform to the same level pre-injury.

In the face of reliable information, I favor the default position that it is uncertain what is his performance ability.

I think we can both agree that we have reliable information (also confirmed by Peyton himself) that he had several surgeries because of some injury.

I want a SB win in 2012.

We have no idea what-so-ever if Manning can play now or not, In fact, I think it's entirely possible there is no way he could play now. I know you said you are choosing to ignore the noise, but if you are depending on a healthy Peyton and a super bowl appearance next season, im afraid you are setting yourself up for major disappointment.

We have no idea what-so-ever if Manning can play now or not, In fact, I think it's entirely possible there is no way he could play now. I know you said you are choosing to ignore the noise, but if you are depending on a healthy Peyton and a super bowl appearance next season, im afraid you are setting yourself up for major disappointment.

I'm prepared to accept any outcome. I've made peace with even the worst scenario.....Manning retiring.

I believe that the year off, the rest and the intense conditioning/rehab may even produce an elongated career for him.

People are taking the off-chances and running with them because they make a better story. The off-chance being that he is incapable of playing at a high level. I ain't buying that noise right now.

Okay, thanks for explaining your position.

However, I think it is odd, that in the face of reliable information, you favor the default position that PM is the same as he ever was, and therefore can perform to the same level pre-injury.

In the face of reliable information, I favor the default position that it is uncertain what is his performance ability.

I think we can both agree that we have reliable information (also confirmed by Peyton himself) that he had several surgeries because of some injury.

The problem is that the "reliable information" explains two possible outcomes that are completely different. Some experts see no reason why he couldn't perform at a high level. Some say he may not. I'll stick with the positive for now until I have sufficient reason to change my opinion.

The problem is that the "reliable information" explains two possible outcomes that are completely different. Some experts see no reason why he couldn't perform at a high level. Some say he may not. I'll stick with the positive for now until I have sufficient reason to change my opinion.

I don't think it is a positive or negative (a +1/-1 situation) matter.

I think it is a postive/neutral/negative (1/0/-1 situation) matter.

I think because he underwent sugeries, the slate is wiped clean to zero, until there is credible evidence to believe that it is either +1 (his nerve has regenerated enough so that he can play at his pre-injury level) or -1 (his nerve has not regenerated enough).

Not being rude. But how can you say it's obvious? By all of the childish banter? By Irsay calling him a politician and bringing in an entirely new regime and speaking on rebuilding and this being reminiscent of 98? I fail to see the obviousness.

Just my opinion. It seems obvious to me. I think this is a media hyped event, but again thats just my opinion. I truly believe Peyton will be back, we will draft luck and he will sit for a while. At least till peyton shows he doesnt have it anymore. As you can see by the diverse opinions on this one topic, everyone cant be right...... except me!

:thmup:

I find the premise of the thread affected. By the use of the word "actually" it is presented in a manner that implies (my opinion) the return of PM to the Colts would be a stretch of the imagination. However, PM has a fused (successful) vertebrae, and is throwing the football. Based on these two things, the implication that it is a stretch for him to return, is actually (noticed that I used actually) a stretch. Remove the word actually from the title and it becomes an honest question, not an opinion dressed up like a question.

To answer, yes.

I think when all is said and done- IF he is healthy he will play and be the leader of this team.. He wants to retire a COLT.

I find it hard to believe that the owner and city would think otherwise.

Just think if he didnt have a injury on what might of been and instead gone to such extremes in one year.. Its crazy..

Ok, like many people here i have been a colts fan for many years. Through out the Harbaugh,George, Entman, Coryatt years....i could add a few more but you get the idea. But the VERY best thing that has happened since the colts moved to Indy is #18. Brought us to two superbowls, and kept us on the edge of our seats for many games on his own ability. Because of him there is a Superbowl in Indy. And Indy is putting on a heck of a party.

Peyton is most definetly a first ballot HOF canadite. And can be put in the argument for best QB to ever play the game. Just because of that he deserves the right to retire on his own terms ,AS A COLT!!!!

I understand this is a business and we need to look for the future. but i honestly believe that if Peyton could not preform at a high level he would retire on his own terms. And he DESERVES that right..

I would so much like to see Luck in a colts uniform for many years to come but i think Peyton deserves the right ,( for all he has done for the franchise, the city of Indy, and the game of football) to finish his carrer in Indy.

If Peyton would have had an O line ( sans Saturday ), just think how much farther we could have gone.

And some of you fans are just as much to blame. Wearing a Luck jersey to games lobbying Irsay to draft him when we do not know if Peyton can play at a level that he can compete. You people were throwing him under the bus before we even knew what his status is. And now you ^lady^ at Irsay about loyalty?

I say if Peyton is healthy enough to play then there is no other option. HE DESERVES THE RIGHT TO FINISH HIS CARRER IN INDY.......

Ok, like many people here i have been a colts fan for many years. Through out the Harbaugh,George, Entman, Coryatt years....i could add a few more but you get the idea. But the VERY best thing that has happened since the colts moved to Indy is #18. Brought us to two superbowls, and kept us on the edge of our seats for many games on his own ability. Because of him there is a Superbowl in Indy. And Indy is putting on a heck of a party.

Peyton is most definetly a first ballot HOF canadite. And can be put in the argument for best QB to ever play the game. Just because of that he deserves the right to retire on his own terms ,AS A COLT!!!!

I understand this is a business and we need to look for the future. but i honestly believe that if Peyton could not preform at a high level he would retire on his own terms. And he DESERVES that right..

I would so much like to see Luck in a colts uniform for many years to come but i think Peyton deserves the right ,( for all he has done for the franchise, the city of Indy, and the game of football) to finish his carrer in Indy.

If Peyton would have had an O line ( sans Saturday ), just think how much farther we could have gone.

And some of you fans are just as much to blame. Wearing a Luck jersey to games lobbying Irsay to draft him when we do not know if Peyton can play at a level that he can compete. You people were throwing him under the bus before we even knew what his status is. And now you ^lady^ at Irsay about loyalty?

I say if Peyton is healthy enough to play then there is no other option. HE DESERVES THE RIGHT TO FINISH HIS CARRER IN INDY.......

While I agree with much of what you've said, but if Peyton really wants to stay he can restructure his contract...we can't keep both Luck and Manning, there would be no cap to sign any talent around them. So the real question is do you want to keep Manning for 1-4 years or Luck for 10+...

Montana, Favre, Unitas, Namath...all finished in other uniforms, but when you think of their names what teams come to mind? The teams they were successful with...

Star QBs past their prime get traded, cut, etc it just happens.

So are you saying the team will never make money without Peyton? So in your opinion when Manning is done they should just sell the team and implode the stadium. We all love PM,but some of you act like this is a 28 year old QB with turf toe!!!

NO... simply saying that why cut ties with a proven option that has done more for the sport than almost any other QB in history. Don't u beleive that colts fans would embrace Luck if if PM had simply said "I'm ready to retire"? I'll always be a colts fan and hope for the best result. How many supporters do u think that PM brought to the game? I'll but more people could tell u who PM is than the vice president of the US. PM may as well be a 28 year old with turf toe. honestly, does he win with his athletics. NO? 95% of Peytons game has nothing to do with athletics. he wins with intelligence, timing and accuracy NOT speed, strength or agility. he could perform efficiently for the next 5-7 years. If he were to leave by his own choice and retire fans would accept it. If both parties agree, fans would accept it. we know by statements from PM that this isn't the case. Irsay has made statements about "not about the money" and "what gives us the best chance to win". If Irsay being up front with these comments and peyton cleared, he should remain a colt.

NO... simply saying that why cut ties with a proven option that has done more for the sport than almost any other QB in history.

One good reason would be if he cannot play to the abilities expected, you cut him from the team. He may be the best QB of all time, but he is also rehabbing from 3 neck surgeries and hasn't played in a year. You can retain him as a QB coach or in the FO if he is amenable to that.

Don't u beleive that colts fans would embrace Luck if if PM had simply said "I'm ready to retire"?

Yes, but from his own words, he is not planning on retirement yet. He thinks he can still come back. The question remains....when? In time for March 8? In time for next season? Ever? Should the Colts be held in limbo in the meantime, until PM is ready to retire?

I'll always be a colts fan and hope for the best result.

Me too.

How many supporters do u think that PM brought to the game? I'll but more people could tell u who PM is than the vice president of the US. PM may as well be a 28 year old with turf toe. honestly, does he win with his athletics. NO? 95% of Peytons game has nothing to do with athletics. he wins with intelligence, timing and accuracy NOT speed, strength or agility. he could perform efficiently for the next 5-7 years. If he were to leave by his own choice and retire fans would accept it. If both parties agree, fans would accept it. we know by statements from PM that this isn't the case. Irsay has made statements about "not about the money" and "what gives us the best chance to win". If Irsay being up front with these comments and peyton cleared, he should remain a colt.

PM is not cleared in the sense that he cannot play up to his former abilities yet. The medical clearance was issued based on the safety of his playing, not his performance. The doctors issued the medical clearance after being satisfied that his spinal fusion has fixed, and there is no increased danger of him taking a NFL hit. The doctors cannot provide clearance that he is able to throw the football at his pre-injury form. It does not matter much how many fans he has brought to the team, or how many championships he has helped the team win. He was paid handsomely for those accomplishments. Going forward, it is all about what he can do now and in the future, which is in doubt.

Irsay will make the decision based on the best interests of the team.

I think he'll stay.

Irsay said that "money wasn't the issue" (I don't know how), and the real issue was his health. He's been cleared by 2 doctors to play, plus he still has one more month to recover before its contract time.

I do not believe PM will be here next year. I will say I am glad he will not. It is not that I do not like him but I want him to win another Super Bowl if he is able to play. Miami is a viable candidate but so is Washington. If PM wants to "payback" Irsay he plays for Miami and beats the Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium next season.

3 years before Manning was here, the Colts were one dropped pass away from the SB? Remember that? The hail mary to Bailey? He almost had it. Harbaugh had a 100 rating in the regular season.

I find it laughable that no one Bwants to give ANYONE else except Manning a chance. The logic is basically with Manning the Colts are going to be great and in the SB hunt every year, without Manning they are going to be doormats forever. Lol. I'm sure the 49ers fans would agree as well when Montana left.

I am guessing your a huge luck fan... Well I am to but I am a bigger Manning fan. I will still be a colts fan no matter what, but how can someone just throw away what Manning has done and forget him. We gave Bob Sanders ton of chances and by the way I loved bob... All I'm saying is I think Luck will profit behind Manning more then anybody could imagine and if Manning is hurt the first couple games in then luck will get his chance. But for now I think Luck should sit behind one of the leagues greatest ever

I think he'll stay.

Irsay said that "money wasn't the issue" (I don't know how), and the real issue was his health. He's been cleared by 2 doctors to play, plus he still has one more month to recover before its contract time.

We don't know what Irsay means by "health".

a) Does health mean he is able to take a NFL hit?

b) Does health mean he is able to throw the ball like he did pre-injury?

I think it is more like B. PM is useless as a QB, if he is A, but cannot throw the deep ball with adequate velocity and accuracy.

His medical clearance is all about A, not B.

Otherwise, he would not be aggressively rehabbing.

We don't know what Irsay means by "health".

a) Does health mean he is able to take a NFL hit?

b) Does health mean he is able to throw the ball like he did pre-injury?

I think it is more like B. PM is useless as a QB, if he is A, but cannot throw the deep ball with adequate velocity and accuracy.

His medical clearance is all about A, not B.

Otherwise, he would not be aggressively rehabbing.

Well, he was supposedly throwing some nice passes with some "zip" about a month ago, and his arm is still regenerating. Once that arm is fully regenerated, it should be better than before, that's just how the procedure goes. The real question is, will it heal before the deadline date, and that's a question no one knows the answer to.

I think he'll stay.

I think the mecial clearance is frankly much ado about nothing. To me it is like the RB who tore up his knee. He may be told by doctors that he is no more likely to get that injury than what he was before he got hurt. But if he has lost his explosiveness because of the injury, medical clearance or not, he is useless to the team. Peyton is in that same situation now. Will his nerve re-generate enough to regain all of his arm strength - maybe, maybe not. But it is unknown right now.

The bonus is very much an issue, no matter what Irsay says. If Manning is not 100% healthy by the time the money is due, there is no way under the sun that Irsay can or should pay it. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. That is reckless and poor management of the team and its finances. He has already paid him $26 million hoping he would be ready in 2011. No way he makes that payment again hoping Manning is healthy in 2012.

Manning is done in Indy.

Well, he was supposedly throwing some nice passes with some "zip" about a month ago, and his arm is still regenerating. Once that arm is fully regenerated, it should be better than before, that's just how the procedure goes. The real question is, will it heal before the deadline date, and that's a question no one knows the answer to.

If you want to believe in rumors, that is entirely up to you.

So far, there has been no credible reports about his performance ability from the Colts' trainers/coaches that are hired to evaluate PM's rehab progress.

From the reports of doctors' opinions, there is no timetable associated with nerve regeneration. So there is no reason to assume that the nerve will regenerate. It may regenerate such that PM can throw like he did before when he wakes up tomorrow. It may never regenerate such that PM cannot throw at an adequate level ever.

If I were Irsay, I would not take the bet that it will regenerate in time for the season. Instead, I would put in a contingent plan.

We learned last season what happens when we don't have a good contingent plan when PM cannot play. I am sure we don't want to repeat that mistake.

If you want to believe in rumors, that is entirely up to you.

So far, there has been no credible reports about his performance ability from the Colts' trainers/coaches that are hired to evaluate PM's rehab progress.

From the reports of doctors' opinions, there is no timetable associated with nerve regeneration. So there is no reason to assume that the nerve will regenerate. It may regenerate such that PM can throw like he did before when he wakes up tomorrow. It may never regenerate such that PM cannot throw at an adequate level ever.

If I were Irsay, I would not take the bet that it will regenerate in time for the season. Instead, I would put in a contingent plan.

We learned last season what happens when we don't have a good contingent plan when PM cannot play. I am sure we don't want to repeat that mistake.

Oh no, I'm not believing in rumours, I'm only reading the facts. I dont buy into this opinionated articles ^cowpatties^. There was an article and a report saying that Manning was throwing with Gonzo and White.

"The source said Manning had a throwing session Tuesday with two of his Colts receivers -- Anthony Gonzalez and Blair White -- at an undisclosed location and that Manning has spent numerous recent days throwing to at least one wide receiver, aiming to regain as much strength as possible in his arm."

He's trying to get it back and this surgery should get it back there. He's also on an aggressive rehabilitation program which should speed up the process. The season doesn't start until August (preseason), and training camp is only in late June, early July. I think Jim will also think about that, if he's doing very well by March 8th, he would think he would be perfectly fine by the time training camp starts.

All I'm saying is let's just see where he is by March 8th. I think he won't be 100% by March 8th, but he'll be close to it, close enough that Irsay will take a risk on him. Remember, this is all just my opinion.

I think the mecial clearance is frankly much ado about nothing. To me it is like the RB who tore up his knee. He may be told by doctors that he is no more likely to get that injury than what he was before he got hurt. But if he has lost his explosiveness because of the injury, medical clearance or not, he is useless to the team. Peyton is in that same situation now. Will his nerve re-generate enough to regain all of his arm strength - maybe, maybe not. But it is unknown right now.

The bonus is very much an issue, no matter what Irsay says. If Manning is not 100% healthy by the time the money is due, there is no way under the sun that Irsay can or should pay it. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. That is reckless and poor management of the team and its finances. He has already paid him $26 million hoping he would be ready in 2011. No way he makes that payment again hoping Manning is healthy in 2012.

Manning is done in Indy.

^^

That maybe what you think, I don't think so. No one knows right now.

Now, here's what I think. I believe that Peyton could show up on March 8th at around 80% and still get his money. THe fact of the matter is, there is no training until late May as they do some workouts. That gives PM another 2 months to heal. Plus, isn't the point of a regeneration so that it gets back to 100%. Now for me to say he's going to be back and better than ever is a little ignorant, but I do think that he will be just fine out there.

I'm just going to wait and see what happens on March 8th; it's good to hear other fans opinions on this topic, but the only person I'm paying real attention to is Irsay.

Oh no, I'm not believing in rumours, I'm only reading the facts. I dont buy into this opinionated articles ^cowpatties^. There was an article and a report saying that Manning was throwing with Gonzo and White.

And what substantiates this information? Did this information come from PM/Condon or Irsay or the Colts organization? Or did it come from rumor-mongers that do not provide quotes or sources?

"The source said Manning had a throwing session Tuesday with two of his Colts receivers -- Anthony Gonzalez and Blair White -- at an undisclosed location and that Manning has spent numerous recent days throwing to at least one wide receiver, aiming to regain as much strength as possible in his arm."

PM said himself that he has been aggressively rehabbing. However, even if you were to believe he was throwing to Gonzo and White, why do you think his arm has improved? I have no doubt PM was throwing to them, aiming to regain arm strength. The report made no indication of what level his arm strength was at.

He's trying to get it back and this surgery should get it back there. He's also on an aggressive rehabilitation program which should speed up the process. The season doesn't start until August (preseason), and training camp is only in late June, early July. I think Jim will also think about that, if he's doing very well by March 8th, he would think he would be perfectly fine by the time training camp starts.

Yes, he is trying very hard. PM even said so. There is no indication if his arm strength has returned to any level. What I expect is that shortly prior to March 8, the Colts will have PM work out for them, and they will determine what progress has been made on his arm strength recovery. This determination then will inform Mr. Irsay on which is the best course for the Colts to take regarding the $28 MM option bonus due March 8. Mr. Irsay may choose to pay it, thereby keeping PM a Colt, or he may decide to release PM. As of today, we do not know, and we should not speculate it will all be positive (or negative). We should focus on what is fact.