Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Venturi's Latest Comments

ztboiler

How are people not realizing a new coach this season is not a favorable route to go with consideration to luck and his surgery. I for one do not want him coming back from injury having to learn a 4th playbook. If we get rid of pagano, I hope we retain spagnola and chud for Andrews sake

31 minutes ago, achcolts said:

How are people not realizing a new coach this season is not a favorable route to go with consideration to luck and his surgery. I for one do not want him coming back from injury having to learn a 4th playbook. If we get rid of pagano, I hope we retain spagnola and chud for Andrews sake

But pagano being gone magically gets rid of all of our teams flaws, including any future hiccups whilst learning new playbooks. haha

To the point about how "the toughness exited" and that it was lamentable... That's flawed on several levels, not the least of which is it's obvious that it wasn't rubbing off on the players..

And Grigson got fired for constructing a really poor roster outside of a few blue chips. That lead to the record.

I think there's some truth to it. Grigson's job is to cut players at time, so he's not going to be liked that the way a head coach should. However, I'm guessing it was more his attitude that eventually did him in. 

There's also some truth that Pagano maybe doesn't hold his players accountable enough and doesn't perform enough discipline when they act out of line. 

4 hours ago, achcolts said:

Spagnola?

Did you mean Monachino?

1 hour ago, achcolts said:

Qb coach? Defense can change all it wants lol

Schottenheimer,  Brian.      Son of Marty.

Hey, no worries.     Not giving you a hard time.    I've got too many names rattling around in my head.  

Happens to me all the time......

17 hours ago, achcolts said:

I think a far larger reason to keep Pagano is that the new GM's ability to hire a coach who can bring in top quality assistants likely has come and gone.  I don't think it has anything to do with Luck's surgery.

On 1/27/2017 at 7:30 PM, Surge89 said:

"Rolls eyes" he literally just stated the facts and re-spoke what has been said on this forum for the past 12 months... how is that setting records for defending Pagano?

And let me be clear I've adamantly stated that Pagano isn't good enough.  But I think your sipping hard on the Jshipp cool aid who is as delusional as can be when it comes to firing Pagano.

I dont recal anyone complaining about the softness of this team when we were winning in Pagano's first 3 years until the New England whooping.  Which is exactly what NCF said.  

I also don't recall ever hearing a GM being vital to team toughness either... Venturi is making a fool of himself here and NCF is pointing that out.  So instead of immediately labeling him take the time out to think about what is in front of you.  Just because this fits your narrative of fire Pagano doesn't mean it has sound logic behind it.

Venturi knows more about football than everybody on this forum combined. Hardly a fool, he knows the game. I sincerely hope Pagano is not  the sticking point in getting a top GM candidate. He can go clap on the sidelines and make excuses somewhere else. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Schottenheimer,  Brian.      Son of Marty.

Hey, no worries.     Not giving you a hard time.    I've got too many names rattling around in my head.  

Happens to me all the time......

Oops! Hahaha wow I was way off sheesh 

Venturi might be reaching here. Toughness also requires leaders that can lead by example and are more vocal. I do think we have enough of a leadership vacuum on the defensive side, IMO. Cory Redding was a vocal guy for us and we need a few on the squad to get more vocal to rally the troops. A lot of times, players respond better to fellow teammates urging than the coaches, IMO.

12 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Venturi knows more about football than everybody on this forum combined. Hardly a fool, he knows the game. I sincerely hope Pagano is not  the sticking point in getting a top GM candidate. He can go clap on the sidelines and make excuses somewhere else. 

I wouldn't go that far. He gets paid to watch and study football. That's it. He's human like the rest of us and is capable of formulating a mindset that's incorrect due to his own biases.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, MacDee1975 said:

Tough or not, Grigson was woefully inept at utilizing high round draft picks and overall in acquiring talent for this team.  That is the bottom line, that is why he was deservedly fired.

AMEN!!! I will second that.  Being tough does not mean you know what you are doing. It's obvious, just look what Grigson did here and  that's why he is was shown the door and some other factors probably helped too.

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There have been enough head scratching moments from Chuck that don't involve the talent level on the team that makes me agree with Venturi but Irsay is keeping him it looks like so I hope Chuck does well because if he does that means the team will do well.

They start out 1-2, 2-3 or something it's going to start in earnest , the Pagano watch .  Going to be a distraction . I'm guessing this Ballard guy already had his guy in mind, and because of Luck took the job . Irsay I sister on keeping Coach clappy. He's not going to say that publicly. Pagano has the hottest seat in the league before the season starts. 

2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

They start out 1-2, 2-3 or something it's going to start in earnest , the Pagano watch .  Going to be a distraction . I'm guessing this Ballard guy already had his guy in mind, and because of Luck took the job . Irsay I sister on keeping Coach clappy. He's not going to say that publicly. Pagano has the hottest seat in the league before the season starts. 

Yeah I agree there is away he could get fired in season and that he's seat is super hot.  I think just about everyone here feels that way.  I was just stating what I think it would take for him to keep his job next season.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, mahagga73 said:

"coach clappy", I like that lol.

On 1/30/2017 at 5:05 PM, mahagga73 said:

Yeah, He couldn't say it through the media, I mean I'm sure Irsay told him during the interview that we were going with Pagano for at least 2017.  

On 1/27/2017 at 10:07 PM, DougDew said:

I can't tell if a guy is simply the type that's annoyed by small talk and tries to repel it by keeping quiet (hoping the small talk goes away), or if he doesn't speak because he thinks others aren't worthy enough to hear his opinions.  I don't think there are too many people in the world that fit into the latter category frankly.  OTOH, gregarious people are generally the champions of irrelevant small-talk.

He may be arrogant, but Reggie said almost verbatim that he didn't like Grigson because he "didn't say hi to him for many months".   Not sure what to make of that or how that situation unfolds. 

There's a difference in saying hi, and calling you into their office to talk football. He didn't say one word about grigson "saying hi". Maybe you should get your facts straight. Reggie was making a point about bringing a vet into your office to talk about football and the locker room, and grigson did neither for 12 months. That's different than "saying hi". I think you need to figure out what you're talking about. The locker room is the most important aspect of your team, and it took grigson 12 months to find out anything on the matter. You know 12 months is a year right? Or maybe you don't. 

14 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

There's a difference in saying hi, and calling you into their office to talk football. He didn't say one word about grigson "saying hi". Maybe you should get your facts straight. Reggie was making a point about bringing a vet into your office to talk about football and the locker room, and grigson did neither for 12 months. That's different than "saying hi". I think you need to figure out what you're talking about. The locker room is the most important aspect of your team, and it took grigson 12 months to find out anything on the matter. You know 12 months is a year right? Or maybe you don't. 

Nah.  (It was reported that) Reggie said that Grigson "never even said hi to me until November".  But thanks for the lecture.

Edit:  BTW, Pat McAfee is annoying

On 1/27/2017 at 0:53 PM, DougDew said:

This isn't rocket science.  Players aren't going to like the GM, because he's the one that negotiates their contracts down.  That personality stuff parroted by McAfee and Reggie was exaggerated and one-sided.

It may not be rocket science,  but what it IS,  is unprecedented.

The ESPN analysts,  former GM's and such called the public bashing of Grigson by so many players when he got fired, "unprecedented."      They couldn't remember it happening to anyone else -- ever.

I think that tells you that this was far, FAR more than just the players didn't like him because he was tough on them.

I think Venturi likes Grigson far more than he likes Pagano, and it shows in his analysis.     I think his analysis is WEAK at best,  and clueless at worst.

On 1/29/2017 at 8:01 AM, mahagga73 said:

Trust me I know who Venturi is.  I haven't once called him a fool.  But this biased tidbit of his is making him look very foolish and if you choose to ignore that just because it fits your agenda... well I'm not sure what else can be accomplished here.

Good Day.

Venturi likes Grigson... I guess I won't fault him for that.

I will say that the coaching pool this off-season was uninspiring. Why replace your average coach with another average guy?

I can see one big reason why. Who should Ballard draft if we will run a new scheme with a new HC next season? It really muddies the water if you don't know who will be calling plays next season. 

This "lame duck" situation only helps the team if Chuck ends up staying long term... If he is fired, it would've been more productive to hire a guy like Taub... Not that I am assuming he'd be a better coach than Pagano. 

On 1/29/2017 at 9:01 AM, mahagga73 said:

Venturi was 3-48-1 as a head coach in college and the NFL.  

He may know some things, but he obviously is lacking in others.