Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Light years away...

Dingus McGirt

After watching this weekend's playoff games, and seeing the quality of the players on the field - especially on defense, our Colts are not even close to having a roster of comparable caliber.  We can probably say the same about the coaching and front office staffs.  

This isn't the Cleveland Browns, but you can see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from here.

10 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

After watching this weekend's playoff games, and seeing the quality of the players on the field - especially on defense, our Colts are not even close to having a roster of comparable caliber.  We can probably say the same about the coaching and front office staffs.  

This isn't the Cleveland Browns, but you can see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from here.

One offseason changes everything for a lot of teams. The chiefs and steelers roster will not look the same. Either will ours. We will compete. 

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

You weren't supposed to notice ... I wonder, however, that it may not be the talent we have on the field (or lack thereof, tho' it may be) but the performance of the players on the field. Are the Colts both talented, unsure and confused? It's hard to tell.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Yeah, the Packers would probably kill us is we ever play them.  

Although the Packers were playing bad football at the time, we still went toe to toe with them - at their house. That has to say something.  I know we aren't the most talented roster, but Luck didn't even have a great game and we still beat them.  I think we are closer to title contention than some people think.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

You weren't supposed to notice ... I wonder, however, that it may not be the talent we have on the field (or lack thereof, tho' it may be) but the performance of the players on the field. Are the Colts both talented, unsure and confused? It's hard to tell.

It goes from the top down.  The owner can't seem to make good decisions and that trickles down all the way to the players.  

6 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Although the Packers were playing bad football at the time, we still went toe to toe with them - at their house. That has to say something.  I know we aren't the most talented roster, but Luck didn't even have a great game and we still beat them.  I think we are closer to title contention than some people think.

hate to be a downer, but the final score was 31-26

if not for todmans KR we may well have lost that game

7 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

The Packers got healthy and they also made adjustments.  There's no way we beat them now.  

5 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

You can point that out but then someone can point out that we lost twice to the hapless Texans who got embarrassed this weekend.  We have a long way to go.  We had a ways to go when we were 11-5 for three years and we are not as good as we were then, now.

That is not to say that it cannot turn fast.  If we can find a consistent pass rush like what you saw from Bud Dupree and old man Harrison last night and just have a better scheme that will fix a lot of our defensive holes.  It is imperative we hit on at least three of these draft picks coming up.  And two of the hits need to be from the first three rounds.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

When the Colts beat the Packers, the better team at that time, won. Things can change quickly.

22 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The Packers got healthy and they also made adjustments.  There's no way we beat them now.  

I'm not sure if there is NO WAY we could beat them if we've done it already. However, they are definitely improved, and the Colts would probably need a big game from #12 to have a chance.

54 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

It could've been worse.......it could've been the Colts getting smashed by the pats again. 

(trying to remain positive here, sorry) 

That will happen the next time (if ever) this team sees the playoffs under Grigano.  That's their standard of a "good season" from the Colts. 

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It's more than our roster. It's more, a lot more, on our coaching and management.

I`m not a fan of Kravitz, but after the Gruden debacle, he (Kravitz) hit the nail on the head calling the Colts situation a circus. We have a garbage defense, 34-year-old RB and potentially the dual combo of Grigson and Pagano. What`s not to like?    

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Image result for larry david confused gif

Are you kidding? Have you watched the Packers games? This team was literally talking about being in rebuild mode in mid November and that the window was closed for the Packers. The Packers have a good line and QB that is it and sometimes that's all it takes in the league. I think their poor defense will catch up to them this coming up game against the Falcons but with a good QB anything is possible that is why the Colts will never be far away as long as they have Luck on their roster

15 minutes ago, coltsleafs said:

Are you kidding? Have you watched the Packers games? This team was literally talking about being in rebuild mode in mid November and that the window was closed for the Packers. The Packers have a good line and QB that is it and sometimes that's all it takes in the league. I think their poor defense will catch up to them this coming up game against the Falcons but with a good QB anything is possible that is why the Colts will never be far away as long as they have Luck on their roster

I don`t think Luck can carry a team like Rodgers or  Manning, to be honest. Few QB`s can, but those guys are the exception. Luck looked more frustrated this season than ever. The team needs an overhaul in the worst way.  

Comparing to the Packers in playoff mode is one thing. Yes, with a good QB and a good line anything can happen. It also helps that McCarthy is no slouch in the coaching department. 

But if you do side by side comparisons against the top teams in our conference? i.e. the Steelers and Patriots?

I think that's what the O.P. means. The current roster coupled with the current coaching staff just cannot compete with the likes of those two teams. The Patriots have the ageless wonder and Darth Hoodie. The Steelers have absolute freaks with Brown and Bell. Both teams also have VERY decent defenses. Maybe not top tier, but they don't need to be.

Last season was all about the defense. This season is all about the offense with fairly good defensive play mixed in. Just look at the final four teams.

Besides Andrew, do we really have a freak of a player who can RELIABLY change the game? Hilton is close... But he's not always there. And our defense? Yeah we all know how that is. 

If next year is make or break, then it's going to take a heck of a lot more than a good draft. Not all rookies are amazing right out of the gate. Some are, but others take time... Time that is not here. 

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don`t think Luck can carry a team like Rodgers or  Manning, to be honest. Few QB`s can, but those guys are the exception. Luck looked more frustrated this season than ever. The team needs an overhaul in the worst way.  

That's where I think your wrong Luck can carry a team take a look at his first three years in the league. There no way that team was more talented then the one we have now the difference was Luck pulling out all the close games and carrying this team where this year it didn't happen. 

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I see a lot of players with a low football iq s that don't fit the schemes we are trying to run . With our roster turnover if it was truly a coaching problem than there should be many ex colts playing at a high level for another team which is just not the case . Most starters that leave Indy are lucky to find a backup role on another tem and when there have been called up it has not been pretty .

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Rodgers with this colts team, with Chuck as HC, wouldn't be in the playoffs. I'd say the defense needs some love, not the whole team overhauled.

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I agree.  I can't stand seeing other teams play either lights out defense or run the ball 30 times for 170 yards.  Hell just some sort of a consistent play is be happy with that

1 hour ago, coltsleafs said:

That's where I think your wrong Luck can carry a team take a look at his first three years in the league. There no way that team was more talented then the one we have now the difference was Luck pulling out all the close games and carrying this team where this year it didn't happen. 

The overall talent on the team was much better then than it is now and Luck wasn't as injured.  Luck was also able to make some miracle comebacks in those first 3 seasons that he can't seem to do as often now.  Those miracle comebacks are not the norm.  The fact that we were 8-8 the last 2 seasons is miracle given this team's lack of talent and Luck's injuries.  

59 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Rodgers with this colts team, with Chuck as HC, wouldn't be in the playoffs. I'd say the defense needs some love, not the whole team overhauled.

I seriously doubt that.  Rodgers is in the top tier of QBs and Luck is not there.  I think Rodgers would have gotten a couple more wins and that would have been enough to win this sorry division.  

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

I seriously doubt that.  Rodgers is in the top tier of QBs and Luck is not there.  I think Rodgers would have gotten a couple more wins and that would have been enough to win this sorry division.  

Maybe he would get in, because of the sorry division. I don't think he wins a playoff game*

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, the Packers would probably kill us is we ever play them.  

I knew this was coming.  We went 1-6 vs. playoff teams, only beating the Packers in the midst of a 4 game losing streak in which they were also blown out by the Titans and Redskins, yet that one game will be used as 8 months of off-season proof as to how close the Colts are.

Closely following this will be the one solid game by Clark and the O-line against the Vikings, proof that Grigson has a stud O-line in the making.