Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This offseason Grigson needs to focus on retooling the defense

RockThatBlue

9 hours ago, bababooey said:

As someone who doesn't follow intently enough to know everyone who is available around the league during this offseason, are there any you would prefer Grigson targets?

Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones. 3-4 OLBs

Jamie Collins OLB/ILB

Donta Hightower ILB
Eric Berry SS

Dontari Poe/Kawaan Short DT

Terrelle Pryor WR

Stephon Gilmore CB

Zach Brown ILB

Kevin Zeitler OG

Just some I'd like us to target if they hit the market

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again off the top of my head........CJ Anderson, Thomas Rawls.......Undrafted. 2 really good starting RB's on playoff caliber (or better) teams. Le'veon Bell mid 2nd. David Johnson 3rd round. Jordan Howard and Jay Ajayi 5th round. Jay may have been early 6th I don't remember without looking. I'd rather get a couple star defensive players in the first 2 rounds and still get a couple good backs in the 3rd or 4th. Instead of a great RB in the 1st. We need to come out of this draft with 2 impact EDGE rushers, an all around ILB, and a couple good RB's and that is perfectly doable if we know how to find the talent. We have to start finding those Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark, Jordan Hicks, etc types in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. And we need a gem or 2 out of this class. We need to find a guy in the 5th or 6th who comes in and produces in his first year. A Tyreek Hill, Jordan Howard, Kwon Alexander, Stefon Diggs, Jay Ajayi, etc. We need to gamble on guys who fall down the boards due to off the field issues. Like.........A Tyreek Hill. It happens every year. If you have a big time talent available in the 5th with a bunch of red flags you gotta roll the dice. Look at a guy like Burfict who went undrafted. We gotta start getting in on these guys and we have to start being able to find talent from top to bottom in the draft. Like Seattle, Denver, etc. Those teams can come out of a draft with 5-6 impact players......Why? Because they know how to spot talent

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

These are all nice complimentary players.    But none are difference makers.    None would cause any OC to worry about them.         We have no pass rush.     We have very poor defensive backs.      We have no one that any opposing team has to scheme around.      

We need big time talent.  

How good is Texas' defense?      So good that they're the number ONE defense in football without the best defensive player in all of football.      No, JJ Watt and they're still the best.

We're light years from being close to them.     They have 1st and 2nd round draft picks all over that defense.    They have very few nice complimentary players.      They're loaded.     They have difference makers.

That's what I'd like to build over the next 3 years.

Yes, I don't deny that and it's going to take several drafts to get there. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Again off the top of my head........CJ Anderson, Thomas Rawls.......Undrafted. 2 really good starting RB's on playoff caliber (or better) teams. Le'veon Bell mid 2nd. David Johnson 3rd round. Jordan Howard and Jay Ajayi 5th round. Jay may have been early 6th I don't remember without looking. I'd rather get a couple star defensive players in the first 2 rounds and still get a couple good backs in the 3rd or 4th. Instead of a great RB in the 1st. We need to come out of this draft with 2 impact EDGE rushers, an all around ILB, and a couple good RB's and that is perfectly doable if we know how to find the talent. We have to start finding those Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark, Jordan Hicks, etc types in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. And we need a gem or 2 out of this class. We need to find a guy in the 5th or 6th who comes in and produces in his first year. A Tyreek Hill, Jordan Howard, Kwon Alexander, Stefon Diggs, Jay Ajayi, etc. We need to gamble on guys who fall down the boards due to off the field issues. Like.........A Tyreek Hill. It happens every year. If you have a big time talent available in the 5th with a bunch of red flags you gotta roll the dice. Look at a guy like Burfict who went undrafted. We gotta start getting in on these guys and we have to start being able to find talent from top to bottom in the draft. Like Seattle, Denver, etc. Those teams can come out of a draft with 5-6 impact players......Why? Because they know how to spot talent

Getting 5-6 impact players from one draft is extremely uncommon.

If using my own definition of "impact" I doubt it's ever happened.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every once in a while a team will build a great defense quickly like the NY Giants.

Nobody in NJ is bragging about left tackle Ereck Flowers right now. Oh look, another hold & another false start. LOL!  Yeah, you were referring to the defense. My bad. 

I know; I know. Give the man some time to improve & the OL gave Eli time to throw against GB yesterday. 

55 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Nobody in NJ is bragging about left tackle Ereck Flowers right now. Oh look, another hold & another false start. LOL!  Yeah, you were referring to the defense. My bad. 

I know; I know. Give the man some time to improve & the OL gave Eli time to throw against GB yesterday. 

Where do we say Eli Manning is at right now? I'm not a big Eli believer lately. What's your take?

The attraction is there for a formidable defense.  I say sign the following free agents at LB:  Chandler Jones and D'onta Hightower or Jamie Collins. You have the pieces together for the defense and the promising rookies in 2016 will develop.  Then, for your No.#1 draft pick, make every effort to draft RB (Dalvin Cook) and coach him right along with the aforementioned.  I think you'll be in the playoffs, guaranteed....

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Where do we say Eli Manning is at right now? I'm not a big Eli believer lately. What's your take?

To be honest with you, Eli has lost a lot of clout that defeating NE in 2 SBs brought him as an upper echelon QB in yrs past. He can't win without a good ground game, he relies on OBJ too much as his jailbreak security blanket, I barely saw him run for a 1st down vs GB except in meaningless garbage time in the 2nd half; he does read opposing secondaries well on average will Shepard catch the ball? Who knows? 

Big Blue shutdown Rogers in 2 Qtrs & then, by the middle of the third quarter I was like what the hades happened to the offense man? Poof. It literally disappeared until the very end. NY could barely get 14 points, a darn disgrace. If I was the Giants D & secondary, I'd be fuming man. Not the Miami trip just the lackluster O other then say King at the end. 

I at least expected the G Men to get past the wildcard round & collide with Dallas in the divisional round. Just sad. That's not a knock on discount double check. I was just stunned that Aaron sliced thru that secondary like butter in the 3rd quarter. Yeah, I know Cromartie hurt his hip. So what? Hades, we took out Nelson. 

Eli ain't elite anymore. Could you imagine where'd they would be without a stout DL? Jesus. 

Yeah I know, I'm not on the Giants D or secondary, but when I like a squad, I pretend like I'm on the starting roster when I vent & it ticks me off when a team I revere plays like crap or under performs. It blows. Grrr! 

You'd think with that enormous cheese cake menu Ben holds as HC; he would find something in that playbook worthy of say 24 points minimum. Just sayin'

13 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

To be honest with you, Eli has lost a lot of clout that defeating NE in 2 SBs brought him as an upper echelon QB in yrs past. He can't win without a good ground game, he relies on OBJ too much as his jailbreak security blanket, I barely saw him run for a 1st down vs GB except in meaningless garbage time in the 2nd half; he does read opposing secondaries well on average will Shepard catch the ball? Who knows? 

Big Blue shutdown Rogers in 2 Qtrs & then, by the middle of the third quarter I was like what the hades happened to the offense man? Poof. It literally disappeared until the very end. NY could barely get 14 points, a darn disgrace. If I was the Giants D & secondary, I'd be fuming man. Not the Miami trip just the lackluster O other then say King at the end. 

I at least expected the G Men to get past the wildcard round & collide with Dallas in the divisional round. Just sad. That's not a knock on discount double check. I was just stunned that Aaron sliced thru that secondary like butter in the 3rd quarter. Yeah, I know Cromartie hurt his hip. So what? Hades, we took out Nelson. 

Eli ain't elite anymore. Could you imagine where'd they would be without a stout DL? Jesus. 

Yeah I know, I'm not on the Giants D or secondary, but when I like a squad, I pretend like I'm on the starting roster when I vent & it ticks me off when a team I revere plays like crap or under performs. It blows. Grrr! 

You'd think with that enormous cheese cake menu Ben holds as HC; he would find something in that playbook worthy of say 24 points minimum. Just sayin'

I agree! And they should have torched that Packers secondary because they aren't that good. Instead Eli and the boys put up 14 points

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I agree! And they should have torched that Packers secondary because they aren't that good. Instead Eli and the boys put up 14 points

Exactly krunk. I think GB started like 4 rookies in the secondary as DBs with minimal experience due to vet injuries. I was pretty confident when I heard that news. It figures all that jubilation would explode in my face. 

When Clay Matthews stripped & recovered that fumble, I was like God darn it! Really Eli? Really? [Excuse me, while I shout into my pillow. Yes, I literally did that too. haha]

19 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

If we draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, as if it is more important than oline or defense I will absolutely lose my mind. That is just as bad as drafting Dorsett in the first. What is everyone's obsession with drafting a RB early? Gore just gave us our first 1000 yard season in quite sometime. Give him another lineman and it will serve him and whoever else runs behind this line for years to come. My goodness it's not rocket science. You think Ezekiel Elliot would have made this line look good? Do you really think he would be considered MVP behind our line? A big fat NO. I really hope grigson has learned from his horrible pick at WR. Clearly some others haven't.

i guess i feel the same way you do about O-line...I see no need to even draft o-line this year...unless it is an obvious immediate upgrade and long term.  I like what we have in our o-line corral right now.  I think A LOT of people in our own forums are underestimating the long term production of the stable we have under contract at this time.

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Exactly krunk. I think GB started like 4 rookies in the secondary as DBs with minimal experience due to vet injuries. I was pretty confident when I heard that news. It figures all that jubilation would explode in my face. 

When Clay Matthews stripped & recovered that fumble, I was like God darn it! Really Eli? Really? [Excuse me, while I shout into my pillow. Yes, I literally did that too. haha]

There's an article on NFL.com where Jerry Reese says Eli is on the Back 9 of his career. Says they are in search of his eventual replacement

6 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

i guess i feel the same way you do about O-line...I see no need to even draft o-line this year...unless it is an obvious immediate upgrade and long term.  I like what we have in our o-line corral right now.  I think A LOT of people in our own forums are underestimating the long term production of the stable we have under contract at this time.

I don't want to draft oline obviously but if it was between oline or RB I'm going oline. Our line has some decent people but not drafting them or signing some new guys says we have faith in our current players, and I absolutely do not have faith in them. I believe we need at least one more solid starter along the line. If it's not the oline then go defense. RB is easily come by. You don't need a home run hitting running back when you have a legitimate franchise QB. You need a guy with solid vision. And imo gore has just that. He's not too old to go one more year. Would drafting a top talent RB early tip us into SB contenders? No... oline? Quite possibly yes. As long as the defense can be at the very least, solid. 

Coaching staff is a different story. 

On 1/9/2017 at 11:24 AM, chad72 said:

CB - definitely via the draft because a) there is money invested in VD and Robinson that we cannot shell out more money on FA and b) it is a deep enough CB class that we can get some quality CBs. 

The LBs - I do think we need to look at FA a bit and the draft a lot. I'd take a Polian approach and re-sign the homegrown Walden, hopefully the price is right.

The only position I see on the offensive side is RB, depending on the value available. DL - the question marks around Langford and Arthur Jones need to be evaluated and if there is great value in one, I am all for it. 

QB, WR, TE, and even OL - pretty much most of the offensive side, we have enough pieces to build on. OL, IMO.

For me, it depends on the timeframe for success you are targeting. Is it make the playoffs in 2017? Is it build the monster? (pardon my chuckle) Is it shortest time to be a legit SB contender? 

If it's playoffs in 2017, I'm looking for quality FA CB. Rookie CBs normally take a while to adapt to the NFL. You don't have to remind me of Toler and Robinson and I won't remind you of D'Joun. Problem in both areas is our scouting.

I believe we have to hit the draft hard for OLB and ILB. We are too old and we are too weak and shorthanded.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:11 PM, COLTS449 said:

But for our pass rush We'll probably let Walden go, re-sign Cole and add some joke like Jarvis Jones in FA. Then some joke of an ILB like Paul Worrilow or something stupid. Then we'll draft a RB and WR in the first 2 rounds. I swear to God if we pull some more crap this offseason we need to riot in the streets of Indy. We're the dumbest franchise in the NFL not counting the Browns. So make something happen Mr Genius GM. You are the most hated man in the state of Indiana. Pags. You're not far behind. BRING IN SOME STAR CALIBER PLAYERS IF YOU WANT TO WIN AND HAVE GREAT TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grigson is wasting away Lucks career and yet some people still wanna get on here and defend the *. We should have a great team oozing with talent up and down the roster by now.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? No holding back this time either.

On 1/9/2017 at 7:33 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think those 2 splashes should be at CB and OLB. Melvin Ingram so you only have to draft one OLB. At CB maybe Gilmore. 

In the draft you can get 2 ILBs, an edge, a NT, and a RB. Next year you draft a game wrecker defensive lineman and a true FS. Couple developmental CBs. A new WR as Dorsett will be gone.

I like this , and we need to go def at 6/7 spots tbh 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, BOTT said:

Getting 5-6 impact players from one draft is extremely uncommon.

If using my own definition of "impact" I doubt it's ever happened.

I gave multiple examples in one thread about this. There's many teams who have came out of a draft with 5-6 impact players. You just have to know how to find talent. That's not something we do well.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, COLTS449 said:

I gave multiple examples in one thread about this. There's many teams who have came out of a draft with 5-6 impact players. You just have to know how to find talent. That's not something we do well.

we've got to worry about keeping some of our talent too.  will some of the below get cold feet on the possible changes forthcoming and bolt?  (I wouldn't mind if some of them did)

2017 Unrestricted Free Agents (age next season)

• S-Mike Adamsicon-article-link.gif (36): Retirement is on the back burner for Mike Adams. He made that clear late in the season when asked about wanting to play a 14th NFL season. The Colts have several options at safety for 2017. Does that include Adams coming back as an every-snap starter? While the playmaking from Adams went down a bit in 2016, his veteran leadership cannot be overstated. Adams has been a gem of a find since joining the Colts in 2014.

• S/CB-Darius Butlericon-article-link.gif (31): After four productive seasons in Indianapolis, Darius Butler turned himself into a pretty attractive free agent this past year. Position flex is what Butler has added to his free agent resume. Butler played some safety in Training Camp and saw extended action back there during the regular season. The Colts love the comfort the instinctual Butler gives them as a safety. Will it come down to either Adams or Butler returning in 2017?

• OLB-Chris Cartericon-article-link.gif (28): Carter is one of several Colts’ outside linebackers hitting the open market in 2017.  Playing for four teams since being drafted in 2011, Carter didn’t get much of a defensive exposure this year in Indy. Carter, who was signed by the Colts in October, played just five defensive snaps for Ted Monachino.

• OLB-Trent Coleicon-article-link.gif (35): Do the Colts want to bring back a 35-year-old edge rusher? That’s going to be the question with Cole, who said he wants to keep on playing. Cole went on injured reserve after Week Three due to a back injury. He somewhat miraculously returned at the start of December and recorded two sacks over the final five weeks. The Colts just aren’t going to have room to bring back all these outside linebackers, so we will see how they prioritize them come March.

• TE-Jack Doyleicon-article-link.gif (27): Doyle was terrific in his expanding role this past year. The 2016 season hadn’t reached its halfway point before Doyle had already surpassed career-highs in every category. He finished the year as the team’s second leading receiver. The Colts have already stated they definitely want to bring Doyle back, trying to keep intact the deepest position group on the team. Remember, Doyle hasn’t missed a game due to injury in his four NFL seasons.

• OG-Hugh Thorntonicon-article-link.gif (26): The final remaining piece from the 2013 NFL Draft spent the entire 2016 season on injured reserve. Injuries and inconsistent play (when healthy) have been the main stories from Thornton’s four seasons with the Colts. In 2016, the Colts found quite a few offensive line bodies that they can now turn to in the interior and off the edges. Thornton is the lone offensive line free agent in 2017.

• RB-Jordan Todmanicon-article-link.gif (27): When Quan Brayicon-article-link.gif was lost for the year in October, the Colts hardly missed a step in their kick return unit. It was Todman who provided a critical spark in the team’s win over Green Bay. Is Todman expendable though, if the Colts think Bray can come back as a returner and the running back reserves behind Frank Goreicon-article-link.gif come from Robert Turbinicon-article-link.gif, Josh Fergusonicon-article-link.gif plus a potential draft pick?

• RB-Robert Turbin (28): Like many on this list, Turbin has expressed a desire to return to the Colts. Turbin was nothing short of outstanding for the Colts in 2016. With Frank Gore still under contract, but reaching the age of 34, Turbin’s presence is still needed. In 2016, Turbin’s roles included short yardage, third down and two minute.

• OLB-Erik Waldenicon-article-link.gif (32): What a time for Walden to have a career year. After never recording more than 6 sacks in a season, Walden got to the quarterback 11 times in 2016. If the Colts are going to address pass rusher in free agency and the draft, signing one of their own (Walden) would make sense especially with what he’s given this team over the past four years.

2017 Restricted Free Agents

C/G-Jonotthan Harrisonicon-article-link.gif

DL-Zach Kerricon-article-link.gif

ILB-Josh McNaryicon-article-link.gif