Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What changes in the coaching staff is going to take place to improve?

gacoop1

Going to resist the urge to put the obligatory 'Pagano' response.

At this point nothing that will realistically happen.

Chud is staying due to Irsay's recent fondness for 'consistency'.

Pags won't dump his boy Ted after 1 year with bad players.

Philbin is rocking it. Schotty is pretty good. They're the only 2 I'd be for keeping in a shakeup. 

Special Teams have been a strength for the team as a whole. 

Other than that that you're looking at positional coaches and they are pretty interchangeable, mostly.

But what it would take to improve is just to start over imo. And the opinion of a heck of a lot of others out there. 

7 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

There are several that should be let go.  DC, OC, play calling sucks, accountability sucks, need more tiger in their tanks.

They won't be let go and shouldn't be if the head coach is staying. The problem is players, not coaching. Many additions need to be made on defense and the offensive line still needs more work. Doing it through the draft will be a slow process. I think it will take three to four years of good drafts to get the Colts back to being contenders. Until then, they will be at the bottom of the AFC South.

4 hours ago, Bigbadbill said:

They won't be let go and shouldn't be if the head coach is staying. The problem is players, not coaching. Many additions need to be made on defense and the offensive line still needs more work. Doing it through the draft will be a slow process. I think it will take three to four years of good drafts to get the Colts back to being contenders. Until then, they will be at the bottom of the AFC South.

The talent isn't amazing, but it's far from the only problem on this team/staff.

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The talent isn't amazing, but it's far from the only problem on this team/staff.

Lack of talent is the biggest problem. The coaching staff when 11-5 when it had a bit more. The rest of the South has caught up and passed the Colts in the talent department. Now, you can blame this on Grigson but not Pagano. He has to play who he is given. His QB is also not good enough to make the team when lots of games all by himself. That isn't going to change.

7 minutes ago, Bigbadbill said:

Lack of talent is the biggest problem. The coaching staff when 11-5 when it had a bit more. The rest of the South has caught up and passed the Colts in the talent department. Now, you can blame this on Grigson but not Pagano. He has to play who he is given. His QB is also not good enough to make the team when lots of games all by himself. That isn't going to change.

So what about scheme? Why is Luck hit so much? They know he may hold the ball for a second, but 4 out of 5 snaps the defenders are 5 yards into the back field. I'm not saying we are amazingly talented, but the coaches need to put what talent they do have, in a place to succeed. Our WRs never have quick slants, curls, and such. That is a failure by the coach. The leader of this team. Who is really no leader at all.  The problem with wanting so much talent is it is impossible to do so in today's league, so that needs to be ground made up by the coach, and pagano has made no such ground. Only questionable scheme and play calling for 5 years. For 3 years we pretended. Dont get that confused with great coaching/lack of talent. 

The jags have had access to top talent for years. Same with Texans and titans. Look where they are without head coaches. We have more talent than you want to believe. 

Now our our coaches are making sure that we have access to talent in the early rounds. But whatever you want to believe.

22 minutes ago, Bigbadbill said:

I do not know how you can say our coaching staff isn't that bad.  I will start by saying Luck is a main reason for those 11-5 seasons so you can't say he is not good enough to carry us because he has been.  The problem is after five years of abuse his body is wearing down.  He is the king of the 4th quarter.  But anyways... Pagano has shown multiple times that he is inept to develop great game plans each week.  He does not know how to use what he has and mask the holes.  We do need a pass rush but with his 5 years here he has shown more mistakes on his end than anyone else.  Our talent has started to get better and Grigson is to blame for a lot of issues but Pagano messed up this last year causing another 8-8 result.  But this is all just IMO like always.

8 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face ( no offense to you face-painters out there) let's see what happens with the starters/draft/FA. Hard to truly assess when you are coaching backups. 

Lots of teams can use that excuse.

I don't think Chud is the problem on offense. I think it's talent. He can't get creative. All you can really do is throw it to TY, Doyle up the seam, and Moncrief in the end zone. 

Dorsett is a bust and Hilton is the only deep threat. Moncrief basically just catches TDs now. This is why the Colts need a Dalvin Cook. You can use him in so many ways and it'll open the offense up. Look what David Johnson did for the Cardinals.

Chud is fine but the offense needs help despite how good they appeared. The Colts need someone who can work the short passing game and a RB who can run between the tackles, hit home runs, and catch. This is why they need to trade Allen and pay Doyle. He needs more snaps because if you work with him he can eat up the middle of the field. Dorsett needs to go. Trade him and use the draft pick to find a Tyreek Hill type of player. Someone who just makes plays.

I think if you give Chuck a franchise RB, an OW, and give Doyle more snaps, you've got a better offense.

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

So what about scheme? Why is Luck hit so much? They know he may hold the ball for a second, but 4 out of 5 snaps the defenders are 5 yards into the back field. I'm not saying we are amazingly talented, but the coaches need to put what talent they do have, in a place to succeed. Our WRs never have quick slants, curls, and such. That is a failure by the coach. The leader of this team. Who is really no leader at all.  The problem with wanting so much talent is it is impossible to do so in today's league, so that needs to be ground made up by the coach, and pagano has made no such ground. Only questionable scheme and play calling for 5 years. For 3 years we pretended. Dont get that confused with great coaching/lack of talent. 

The jags have had access to top talent for years. Same with Texans and titans. Look where they are without head coaches. We have more talent than you want to believe. 

Now our our coaches are making sure that we have access to talent in the early rounds. But whatever you want to believe.

Luck is hit so much because he can't read defenses, he is slow to check down to alternate receivers and he is slow at getting rid of the ball. You could put him behind the Dallas line and he would still get pummeled. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady get rid of the ball in two seconds or less. Luck goes anywhere from three to nine seconds and no offensive line can protect him from that. That has nothing to do with scheme or coaching. Luck has not improved one bit since he came into the NFL. I think he is a talent but he has serious flaws that will keep him from ever being an elite QB.

No changes.      None.

Just who do you think you can get who is any good if you're firing assistants one year after you hire them?     And from the outside,  it doesn't look like the GM or HC might be here much longer.      So, what quality assistant wants to come to Indianapolis under those circumstances?

Answer?       No one.

Can we PLEASE stop with these nonsense threads?

Please?

1 hour ago, Bigbadbill said:

Luck is hit so much because he can't read defenses, he is slow to check down to alternate receivers and he is slow at getting rid of the ball. You could put him behind the Dallas line and he would still get pummeled. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady get rid of the ball in two seconds or less. Luck goes anywhere from three to nine seconds and no offensive line can protect him from that. That has nothing to do with scheme or coaching. Luck has not improved one bit since he came into the NFL. I think he is a talent but he has serious flaws that will keep him from ever being an elite QB.

We must be watching different teams then. If these are facts to you, then it is all about scheme. The coaches know just as much about this and do nothing to help him. So why keep a staff that continues to make Andrew make these mistakes? You'd think they would do all they can to limit these mistakes, get nothing. And no. In Dallas he would do ten times better. 

We must be watching different teams then. If these are facts to you, then it is all about scheme. The coaches know just as much about this and do nothing to help him. So why keep a staff that continues to make Andrew make these mistakes? You'd think they would do all they can to limit these mistakes, get nothing. And no. In Dallas he would do ten times better. 

Not trying to derail the thread but I love your Avatar and member name!

With Grigson and Pagano back again, nothing matters.

Grigson will screw up our high picks and Pagano will continue his semi-conscious coaching style and we can watch the Colts come close and miss the playoffs again.

I really gotta reconsider paying for NFL Sunday Ticket to watch these 2 clowns run the team for another year(s).

'No changes' means no different results....sad.

If he played for Dallas, he would still be taking among the most hits in the NFL. That is just who he is. Scheme has nothing to do with it. He has had four or five different schemes already and the problems are always the same.

4 minutes ago, Bigbadbill said:

If he played for Dallas, he would still be taking among the most hits in the NFL. That is just who he is. Scheme has nothing to do with it. He has had four or five different schemes already and the problems are always the same.

He has had 3 OC's. 2 different schemes.  Arians and chud are cut from the same cloth

53 minutes ago, Bigbadbill said:

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this my fellow colts fan

2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Grigson will screw up our high picks and Pagano will continue his semi-conscious coaching style and we can watch the Colts come close and miss the playoffs again.

I really gotta reconsider paying for NFL Sunday Ticket to watch these 2 clowns run the team for another year(s).

It seems that other teams n our division seem to be improving much more than we are.  Houston got Lamar Miller and Jacksonville had a great draft and was very active in FA.  We drafted Kelly, which was helpful.  We also got Haeg and Ridgeway which are good but not stellar.  In FA, we did little.

I'm not sure what to expect next season, but I have no reason to think that it will be any different. 

6 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

I am going to watch the combine and look at mock drafts and the draft because it is kind of interesting and there is really nothing else to watch around this time.  But I agree with your post because at the end of the day Ryan is going to pick a bunch of guys nobody has heard of, you know his player that nobody is looking at. After 2013, 2014, and 2015. The majority of those players are STILL PLAYERS THAT NOBODY IS LOOKING AT, because they are out the NFL.

What this team is quickly doing is becoming disconnect from its fan base. I hope one day it will change for the better.

4 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I am going to watch the combine and look at mock drafts and the draft because it is kind of interesting and there is really nothing else to watch around this time.  But I agree with your post because at the end of the day Ryan is going to pick a bunch of guys nobody has heard of, you know his player that nobody is looking at. After 2013, 2014, and 2015. The majority of those players are STILL PLAYERS THAT NOBODY IS LOOKING AT, because they are out the NFL.

What this team is quickly doing is becoming disconnect from its fan base. I hope one day it will change for the better.

What guy has grigson drafted that no one has ever heard of??

Key here maybe is, Irsay holds Pagano accountable since the team  is soft.  Light a fire under Pagano's rear end to hold his staff accountable for once, then maybe he can be retained for 2018, if he shows a huge improvement by going to the AFC Championship at least....

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What guy has grigson drafted that no one has ever heard of??

Look at what Ryan did last year. Instead of choosing the guys that we see in the pac-10, the big ten 10, acc, and sec week after week. That is actually on Mel and Todd big board, I mean the obvious choice, what will he actually do, something that makes no common sense. Case in point second round the colts are on the board at number 48.  The first pick center Ryan Kelly---OK I was shocked because it was a good move. But the 2nd round is the perfect time to complete the offensive line.  Cody Whitehair the top OG on the board, the obvious choice---Mel and Todd is talking him up. Coach Rick Venturi has been talking about him for the last month. What does Ryan do moves back to 57 and Cody is magically pick up pick 56 by the Bears. And the Colts get who TJ Green from Clemson (ok he is from the acc).

But let see how this played out Cody Whitehair had a OK year this year (he's on the bears).  What kind of year did TJ Green have this year? What about L Clark? How many times was Luck hit this year? When the Colts need to give Luck time/protection against the texans with the division on the line I know  the o-line stepped up to the plate right? I know when the defense needed to make a stop I'm pretty sure some tight end wasn't running TJ Green over on his way to the end zone right? And last year draft was the 2nd best draft Ryan has since being here. What happen to all the draft choices in 2013, 2014 outside of Donte M, and 2015. I for once would like to see Ryan make the obvious choices when it comes to the draft. That what I was saying.