Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL-Are we set?

I just wanted to put this out there for discussion. I believe we are set at OL for the future. The young guys we drafted last year played well for the most part and got stronger towards the end of the year. Very few OL in their rookie year do well due to how different the NFL game is from college and lack of coaching due to the spread. Additionally, the CBA has hurt lineman more because you don't have time as far as actual practices anymore. I don't think we realize how limited the number of practices where you can actually hit one another is, and how it has stunted OL growth. Regardless, the only thing I would like to do is get a good LT and move Castanzo to RT. That would be my only move on the OL, since I think it is going to grow and get much better. I look at Pittsburgh's line, which is very similar to ours as far as how they drafted players, and it took them a year to mesh and really start improving.

The one question I have is if you believe OL is still a need, would you consider Cam Robinson from Alabama at LT. I can't remember the LT from ND who may come out, but right now Robinson is the only OL who is considered in the top 20. The only team who really needs to rebuild their OL who drafts early is SD, so they could take him, If he was there, would you consider him, or are you more inclined to how I see the OL for the future. Thoughts?

I would take him if Barnett, Reuben, or Cook were off the board by the time we picked.  We may have a slightly above average offensive line with Castanzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, and Clark,  But, we are one injury away from being slightly below average again.  Bring in Robinson and we will have a good line.  Draft Kamara (sp?) out of TN in the 2nd for RB and our offense will be set for some time.  Try to fill as many of our defensive needs in FA as possible.  There are 3 or 4 proven edge rushers better than what we have now in Ingram, Jones, Collins, Perry.  A good 3-4 DE in Calais Campbell to play opposite Anderson.  Poe at NT to rotate with Parry.  Kawann Short to rotate with Mcgill, Kerr, and Ridgeway.  And AJ Bouye may be available to play opposite Vontae.

LOL - if I were GM, my dream off season would be.

1st Rd - Robinson

2nd Round - Kamara

FA - Ingram

FA - Jones

FA - Campbell

FA - Bouye

We should have enough cap room to sign those 4 guys.

We still could use another NT and DE for depth as well as ILB and maybe another safety assuming we were able to pull off the FA heist above.

I did not feel that good after watching that Jacksonville game. I didnt think there was good protection at any point of that game. Luck took a lot of hits and pressures. Mew

hort is injured right now though. I think Kelly, Haeg, Clark are keepers. Everything else is questionable. Need one more guy I think.

They did get better throughout the year but we yet again had little cohesion build since there was a different combo almost every game.  Plus if we do have coaching changes that could be a setback for our young line would might have to get in another type of scheme if we do not do ZBS next year.  I would not spend this first pick on a linemen when we have some serious needs and that can be something that is hit on in later rounds for depth.  And I believe that if we still have Grigson this offseason, FA will be very light on spent money IMO.  I just do nnot see him being that aggressive unless it is for below average guys for depth and competition like usual. 

I do think we have all the pieces needed. This draft is not deep for OL, and the OL developed continuity as the year went on. Once Mewhort is back, I am confident that we are set on the OL front.

Consistency and continuity will improve the communication and thus the performance of the unit as a whole as time goes on.

If LeRaven Clark comes along real well, I might even consider moving him to LT and Castanzo to RT.

Are we set at oline, probably not, however, the oline appears to no longer be the weakest unit on the team. Defense needs all the attention this year IMO, with the lb'ers being job #1. After LB, we need a second CB to either replace Robinson, then put him at slot or to push Robinson as the #2. Whats the worst that happens from having too many good cb's if Robinson were to rebound and play like the #2 guy we hoped for? Pass rush may be equally as important as the LB spot but the spot kind of goes hand in hand. Also, if we fix one of these areas, hopefully it automatically elevates the other players on defense. 

Sorry I got off point but it's important to note just how important it is to fix the defense and now that we have 4 solid starters on the line and possibly all 5, I just don't think we have to do anything with the oline this season. Maybe this would be the year to pick up that lineman who had question marks from prior injury or attitude that the team could use but doesn't have to count on as "the guy". 

I don't think we need new guys on the OL. LT, LG, and C are set with Castonzo, Mewhort, and Kelly. Then we've got three or four guys (depending on whether or not we re-sign Harrison) to compete for the RG and RT spots in Haeg, Clark, Good, and Harrison. I think we roll into next season with that group of guys as our main core, maybe adding someone with a late draft pick or a low cost free agent. We've got so many other needs (RB and all over the defense), that I wouldn't consider drafting someone on the OL before the 5th round.

On 1/4/2017 at 9:50 PM, loudnproudcolt said:

I just wanted to put this out there for discussion. I believe we are set at OL for the future. The young guys we drafted last year played well for the most part and got stronger towards the end of the year. Very few OL in their rookie year do well due to how different the NFL game is from college and lack of coaching due to the spread. Additionally, the CBA has hurt lineman more because you don't have time as far as actual practices anymore. I don't think we realize how limited the number of practices where you can actually hit one another is, and how it has stunted OL growth. Regardless, the only thing I would like to do is get a good LT and move Castanzo to RT. That would be my only move on the OL, since I think it is going to grow and get much better. I look at Pittsburgh's line, which is very similar to ours as far as how they drafted players, and it took them a year to mesh and really start improving.

The one question I have is if you believe OL is still a need, would you consider Cam Robinson from Alabama at LT. I can't remember the LT from ND who may come out, but right now Robinson is the only OL who is considered in the top 20. The only team who really needs to rebuild their OL who drafts early is SD, so they could take him, If he was there, would you consider him, or are you more inclined to how I see the OL for the future. Thoughts?

As it stands now,  in January,   there isn't a good LT in the draft.     This is in part why we took FOUR lineman last year and two of them project as tackles.... (though Haeg can play everywhere)

We might take a lineman with a mid or late round pick for quality depth,  but as a future starter?     No.

We'll be focused with our high picks on defense, defense and more defense.    I think the one offensive exception is running back.

The Zeitler thing to me is the same situation as last year with Osemele.   I don't see the Colts shelling out the big dollars for a FA.  I can see them finding somebody in the draft maybe.   Wouldn't mind Zeitler being here, but I don't know if it's a move Grigs will make.   I think if they pay decent money to anyone in FA it's likely to be on the defensive side of the football.

On the subject of the OL I will say I didn't come out of that Jacksonville game feeling like we were set.  Luck was chased, sacked and hurried almost the entire game.  We do have some young pieces that are developing I will say that.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Zeitler thing to me is the same situation as last year with Osemele.   I don't see the Colts shelling out the big dollars for a FA.  I can see them finding somebody in the draft maybe.   Wouldn't mind Zeitler being here, but I don't know if it's a move Grigs will make.   I think if they pay decent money to anyone in FA it's likely to be on the defensive side of the football.

I think it is too but I think we can all agree Grigson is under a lot of pressure.  This year I can see him going for a Zeitler along with two others on the defensive side.  I think he will spend this year. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it is too but I think we can all agree Grigson is under a lot of pressure.  This year I can see him going for a Zeitler along with two others on the defensive side.  I think he will spend this year. 

I hear what you're saying, but Zeitler is going to be a bidding war and the Colts have never ever done the bidding wars for players.   As of right now I don't see it although it could change, but I do agree we need a better player there.   Only thing is we really don't know what their plans are for Costanzo.  If they plan on bringing him back they can just start Haeg there.  With a full offseason in the weight room plus a year of experience he should be stronger and more prepared for the gig.  Clark will probably start on the outside.  I was down with Good in the beginning, but as the year went on I thought he regressed.  He'll probably be a backup.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

I feel the same way.. but they have enough for a defender and him don't they? Around $60 million?

1 minute ago, 12to13 said:

I feel the same way.. but they have enough for a defender and him don't they? Around $60 million?

I haven't done the numbers so maybe.  In FA teams have to overpay to get a player of that caliber.  I've just never seen the Colts compete with other teams in overpaying for a player.  I've just never seen them do it.   I don't think acquiring him will be likely but I've certainly been wrong before.   

I won't go as far as to say we are set.  However I think given some of the improvement that was shown I think you have to give Kelly, Haeg, and Clark another year to see what level they can play at next year.  

OL isn't an easy position to learn for a rookie.  Haeg had to do it while bouncing between positions on the OL and Kelly had to do it while making protection calls.  And Clark has the physical tools but hasn't learned the best techniques yet.  

Makes sense to see what they can do with a year under their belts and focus on improving the defense.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I won't go as far as to say we are set.  However I think given some of the improvement that was shown I think you have to give Kelly, Haeg, and Clark another year to see what level they can play at next year.  

OL isn't an easy position to learn for a rookie.  Haeg had to do it while bouncing between positions on the OL and Kelly had to do it while making protection calls.  And Clark has the physical tools but hasn't learned the best techniques yet.  

Makes sense to see what they can do with a year under their belts and focus on improving the defense.  

1 Show Chud the game vs Minnesota

2 Tell Chud to this again....repeatedly 

14 hours ago, krunk said:

I haven't done the numbers so maybe.  In FA teams have to overpay to get a player of that caliber.  I've just never seen the Colts compete with other teams in overpaying for a player.  I've just never seen them do it.   I don't think acquiring him will be likely but I've certainly been wrong before.   

I don't think we are bringing in a big name FA G. I think there is going to be some disappointment when it comes to free agency. I would not be surprised if we took a G in this draft in fact I expect it in the middle rounds. 

Pyke Are and Dunker are  expected to go around the 5th round. The OL is going in the right direction but isn't finished. Pyke could be a steal moving back to G. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The starting right guard for 2017 is either Joe Haeg or Denzelle Good.

In future years?      That's up in the air until we see what we have....

OK we need a RG of the future. You really want more Good? Haeg and Clark battle for RT. I don't see Haeg as a starting G.

I would draft a G without question. We have no depth at the position We ran Blythe out there last season I don't think we are signing all these FA's. 

The fastest way to take 2 steps back on what've built on the OL. Is to think we are set.  We said we'd fix RG last off season We didn't let's not pretend we did.

18 minutes ago, akcolt said:

OK we need a RG of the future. You really want more Good? Haeg and Clark battle for RT. I don't see Haeg as a starting G.

I would draft a G without question. We have no depth at the position We ran Blythe out there last season I don't think we are signing all these FA's. 

The fastest way to take 2 steps back on what've built on the OL. Is to think we are set.  We said we'd fix RG last off season We didn't let's not pretend we did.

Well.....    I'm already on record as wanting an interior O-lineman with our 2nd 4th round pick (Fleener pick)

But I think we've barely scratched the surface when it comes to Good.     A 7th round pick out of Nowhere State U,  I thought he had a promising rookie campaign.      And this year,   I think he was mostly hurt.

Now, do I want to see him lose 25 pounds?     Heck yes.    But I think he's a talented kid.

As for Haeg,  he hasn't had a chance to put on weight, and he will.    I think Clark is the RT of the future.   Now, Haeg may turn into the eventual replacement for Reitz after another year or two.     But Haeg can play anywhere.

So, maybe this draft pick is the RG of our future,  or maybe the RG of the future is already on the team?

In Philbin I trust.....

It's too early to tell if we are set, but it looks encouraging, from my point of view. 

Like others have noted, the rookies played well for rookies and will all benefit from the Colts' conditioning program and some time in the playbook.

I don't think that drafting linemen will help much for 2017, considering that they will be rookies themselves. That is, unless we are drafting one in the 1st or 2nd round... 

I think that Haeg definitely has the potential to be the RG of the future. He played well at that spot and will probably be our Mewhort on the right. 

Clark is a big question mark, but he did more than most of us expected in his first year, that is, he looked like an NFL Tackle at times. I didn't think he'd see the field with the starting offense (and it took injuries to make it happen), but he made gigantic strides from preseason to the last quarter of the year. I'd really like to see him come into TC next season and leave no question about who is starting at RT. 

That being said, I don't think it's out of the question for Grigson to draft an OL or 2. You have to build for the future, after all. I just hope that the chips fall in such a way to where we are drafting defensive playmakers in those early rounds at those positions that currently have very little young talent. 

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  I would love it if we could sigh a veteran RG in FA, namely Kevin Zeitler.  I think Clark is going to win the RT spot and our current line with Zeitler would be awesome.  Haag would be a great rotational guy. 

This is a must RG is the biggest whole then from there if Clark develops into what he should Anthony will be the worst which is far from a bad thing. IMO if the colts can get fournette they need to draft him or do w/e they can to land him as this would be huge. Then draft defense heavy you are not rebuilding this defense in a year but you can at least try and compete with having a solid offense.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....    I'm already on record as wanting an interior O-lineman with our 2nd 4th round pick (Fleener pick)

But I think we've barely scratched the surface when it comes to Good.     A 7th round pick out of Nowhere State U,  I thought he had a promising rookie campaign.      And this year,   I think he was mostly hurt.

Now, do I want to see him lose 25 pounds?     Heck yes.    But I think he's a talented kid.

As for Haeg,  he hasn't had a chance to put on weight, and he will.    I think Clark is the RT of the future.   Now, Haeg may turn into the eventual replacement for Reitz after another year or two.     But Haeg can play anywhere.

So, maybe this draft pick is the RG of our future,  or maybe the RG of the future is already on the team?

In Philbin I trust.....

Unless we spend a first or second round pick on an OL or spend a bunch of money on a free agent OL, I can't imagine going into next year without Haeg somewhere in the starting 5.  

I don't know if we can justify spending another high pick on the O-line this year, but if they decide to do it, I hope they go for Garett Bolles(LT, Utah). This guy seems like the real deal. I'm watching the following new tape from him vs Colorado and he just seems so damn good both in pass protection and in the run game. People can't move him in pass protection, he seems to have great feet and uses his hands very well. I don't think he allowed a single pressure on this tape ... and he has some nastiness in the run game too: