Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck was NFL's Unluckiest QB

dw49

I was listening to the NFL station on sirius radio and Luck was said to be the "winner" of this by a large margin. Please don't ask me for a reference as I did'n take note of where they got their info from and I don't remember who was saying it. But anyway .. here was the gist of it.

There is a gathering of stats that includes every throw a QB made and then determine how many were "turn over worthy." Pretty sure they don't include fumbles as they said he only had 13 that were turn over worthy and he had 12 turnovers. They said this was by a huge margin the most "unlucky." They mentioned that Matt Ryan was the luckiest. They also said this was even more "insane" when you consider he was pressured on something like 46% of his throws. Again .. by far and away the most of any QB. They added their opinion that Luck , in their opinion was a upper level franchise QB and 8 wins is a pretty poor performance by our franchise.

He is one of the Luckiest QB's because he has been placed in the AFC South. 

So tired of this perception that this team is the Indianapolis Lucks and everyone in this organization is bringing him down. I remember us winning quite a few games last year with out Luck, and not much has changed with him this year. 

7 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

So tired of this perception that this team is the Indianapolis Lucks and everyone in this organization is bringing him down. I remember us winning quite a few games last year with out Luck, and not much has changed with him this year. 

Don't let yourself be tired of a perception that no one really has

....I dont think anyone seriously thinks the Colts teammates are bringing Andrew down, do you?.

You might be listening to much to media talkers....or reading too many message boards

15 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

In the 'if you could bring back one ex Colt player for one season thread', you pocked Peyton. Still not over it yet it would seem......

59 minutes ago, dw49 said:

They added their opinion that Luck , in their opinion was a upper level franchise QB and 8 wins is a pretty poor performance by our franchise.

That's obvious.

Just look at the few games where they have played something approaching complementary football - Jets, Vikings.  They blocked, ran the ball, got 3 and outs and turnovers.  Imagine if you had a running game and defense and could play like that every week.  With a QB like Luck, that is what this team is capable of... if you build a real team.

18 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

In the 'if you could bring back one ex Colt player for one season thread', you pocked Peyton. Still not over it yet it would seem......

Yeah, it's a no brainer; Peyton, in his prime, is the best player in Indianapolis Colts history.

Was over it a long time ago. Peyton is retired. Would rather have Luck than a retired or old Manning. 

1 minute ago, #12. said:

That's obvious.

Just look at the few games where they have played something approaching complementary football - Jets, Vikings.  They blocked, ran the ball, got 3 and outs and turnovers.  Imagine if you had a running game and defense and could play like that every week.  With a QB like Luck, that is what this team is capable of... if you build a real team.

When you build a "real team". What does that mean? A team with good to elite talent at all positions? There are many quarterbacks that can be successful on a team like that, if that's what you mean. That would make Luck an average QB. 

25 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

....I dont think anyone seriously thinks the Colts teammates are bringing Andrew down, do you?.

You might be listening to much to media talkers....or reading too many message boards

I have seen it written a few times that the Colts organization is wasting Lucks career. So, my reference is aimed at however few or many people have this view; I am not delusional, I have been an avid reader of this message board (since 2004) and follower of the Colts for a long time. I have seen it written and heard it spoken more than once by the media, fans, or fans on message boards. To them, it seems that Luck is infallible. It's annoying. Do they really believe that? I don't know.

But, regarding the original post, Luck was lucky to have Reggie Wayne his early years, he is Lucky to be in the AFC South, he was Lucky he didn't go to a team like the Browns. Luck is not the unluckiest QB.

Maybe the online is unlucky to have a guy hold on to the ball so long or a coaching staff that doesn't design quick release plays. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I was listening to the NFL station on sirius radio and Luck was said to be the "winner" of this by a large margin. Please don't ask me for a reference as I did'n take note of where they got their info from and I don't remember who was saying it. But anyway .. here was the gist of it.

There is a gathering of stats that includes every throw a QB made and then determine how many were "turn over worthy." Pretty sure they don't include fumbles as they said he only had 13 that were turn over worthy and he had 12 turnovers. They said this was by a huge margin the most "unlucky." They mentioned that Matt Ryan was the luckiest. They also said this was even more "insane" when you consider he was pressured on something like 46% of his throws. Again .. by far and away the most of any QB. They added their opinion that Luck , in their opinion was a upper level franchise QB and 8 wins is a pretty poor performance by our franchise.

Luck isn't unlucky the team around him just stinks and needs upgraded.

15 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I have seen it written a few times that the Colts organization is wasting Lucks career. So, my reference is aimed at however few or many people have this view; I am not delusional, I have been an avid reader of this message board (since 2004) and follower of the Colts for a long time. I have seen it written and heard it spoken more than once by the media, fans, or fans on message boards. To them, it seems that Luck is infallible. It's annoying. Do they really believe that? I don't know.

But, regarding the original post, Luck was lucky to have Reggie Wayne his early years, he is Lucky to be in the AFC South, he was Lucky he didn't go to a team like the Browns. Luck is not the unluckiest QB.

Maybe the online is unlucky to have a guy hold on to the ball so long or a coaching staff that doesn't design quick release plays. 

These posts Crack me up. Is Luck perfect? No. But 90% of the time he does his part and the crappy *** defense let's the other team march down the field and win the game. If we had just an average middle of the pack D we win 90% of our games this year. He is pressured more then any other top QBs in the league and hit more too. Also has the worst Defense and O line of any other good QB's.

17 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Luck doesn't go rhrough his reads like he should by now and holds the ball way to long, and still stays locked in on Hilton even when he is doubled..Luck needs a coach, Gruden would fix him quick..

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

These posts Crack me up. Is Luck perfect? No. But 90% of the time he does his part and the crappy *** defense let's the other team march down the field and win the game. If we had just an average middle of the pack D we win 90% of our games this year. He is pressured more then any other top QBs in the league and hit more too. Also has the worst Defense and O line of any other good QB's.

Why does it crack you up? I'm not denying that Luck is  a strength of the team. Is Luck a top tier QB surrounded by an organization that is utter trash? Last year would suggest no. 

No one mentioned perfection.

Regarding the online, Im pretty sure Luck has a slower release than any of the other top QBs too.  

The defense is horrible, though, which is a sign of bad drafting. 

9 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Why does it crack you up? I'm not denying that Luck is  a strength of the team. Is Luck a top tier QB surrounded by an organization that is utter trash? Last year would suggest no. 

Regarding the online, Im pretty sure Luck has a slower release than any of the other top QBs too.  

You give him a better D and I guarantee no one has a problem with luck cause we will be siting in the playoffs with a 1st round bye.

14 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Last year is last year. You can't even to begin to draw the conclusion you put forth. Are you really trying to sell the premise that we won 8 games last year with him being injured and the fact that we are 7-8 with a healthy Luck means he's not that good ? That is such a lame premise. You lost Freeman and replaced him with Robinson. Lost best defensive DL in Langford along with around 4 other defensive starters. Most hit and pressured QB in NFL. Played a different schedule. Coaching comes into play. Luck ( the way the ball bounces.. not Andrew) comes into play. Defense made very few "big defensive stops " in 2016 . It goes on and on.

9 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I know that the Colts were 8-8 last year, mostly without Luck. However, they did it with Hasselbeck, Josh Freeman, Clip Board Jesus, and Lindly. These QBs all got blasted behind the O-line. If last year suggests anything, it's that the organization did not know how to protect quarterbacks.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I know that the Colts were 8-8 last year, mostly without Luck. However, they did it with Hasselbeck, Josh Freeman, Clip Board Jesus, and Lindly. These QBs all got blasted behind the O-line. If last year suggests anything, it's that the organization did not know how to protect quarterbacks.

O-line is much better now...Luck holds rhe ball longer than any qb in the league so it gets old hearing that..I don't care if you got Cowboys line , if you hold the ball 5 seconds chance are you'll get hit..I don't think its all Lucks fault, mainly we run long late developing routes which take time to open up. Once again Coaching and offensive scheme kills us, Luck has to work with the hand he is dealt..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

O-line is much better now...Luck holds rhe ball longer than any qb in the league so it gets old hearing that..I don't care if you got Cowboys line , if you hold the ball 5 seconds chance are you'll get hit..I don't think its all Lucks fault, mainly we run long late developing routes which take time to open up. Once again Coaching and offensive scheme kills us, Luck has to work with the hand he is dealt..

That's organizational, thus the point that Luck is in an organization that is wasting his talent.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

That's organizational, thus the point that Luck is in an organization that is wasting his talent.

I'm not disagreeing..Im tired of hearing about oline...I think the oline is on the verge of being a strength. .I like our line better than a lot of teams, if they stay healthy next year they'll be one of the better lines.

25 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Last year is last year. You can't even begin to draw the conclusion you put forth. Are you really trying to sell the premise that we won 8 games last year with him being injured and the fact that we are 7-8 with a healthy Luck means he's not that good ? That is such a lame premise. You lost Freeman and replaced him with Robinson. Lost best defensive DL in Langford along with around 4 other defensive starters. Most hit and pressured QB in NFL. Played a different schedule. Coaching comes into play. Luck ( the way the ball bounces.. not Andrew) comes into play. Defense made very few "big defensive stops " in 2016 . It goes on and on.

25 minutes ago, dw49 said:

You're absolutely right. This year is a different team. The defense is far worse, but, last year, we lost many games with Luck. One would expect a significant drop if the organization is so bad and Luck is great, but there wasn't. Their record suggested that they were mediocre and our record this year is trending in that direction.

Also, our schedule should be easier this year since we didn't win the division last year. 

All I'm saying is that Luck isnt a once in a lifetime quarterback and the organization isn't a dumpster fire. I'm not saying Luck is a scrub. Maybe everyone's average. 

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

One can't even began to use the 2015 season as evidence that Luck might not be as important to the team as some might think? It's absolutely preposterous!? 

I never said Luck is not a good QB. But, he is not one of the best like his contract suggests. He is not as important to the team as Manning was. I thought we would not win many games without him, but we did. I remember Hasselbeck having some success with quicker releases and intermediate routes. 

You have a point. The defense definitely sucks this year. They let freaking Osweiler come back in the fourth quarter. 

You're absolutely right. This year is a different team. The defense is far worse, but, last year, we lost many games with Luck. One would expect a significant drop if the organization is so bad and Luck is great, but there wasn't. Their record suggested that they were mediocre and our record this year is trending in that direction again. 

Also, our schedule should be easier this year since we didn't win the division last year. 

All I'm saying is that Luck isnt a once in a lifetime quarterback and the organization isn't a dumpster fire. I'm not saying Luck is a scrub. Maybe everyone's average. 

Luck is ELITE, coaching is absolute TRASH...Better coaching Luck is MVP candidate every yr and we have a 1st round bye..

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Amen.

46 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

You're absolutely right. This year is a different team. The defense is far worse, but, last year, we lost many games with Luck. One would expect a significant drop if the organization is so bad and Luck is great, but there wasn't. Their record suggested that they were mediocre and our record this year is trending in that direction.

I really think Luck may have been injured in that first game vs Buffalo. No doubt than other than a few games , (Denver ?) he was not good in 2015.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Huh?     Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "bringing Andrew down"....?

But, his teammates are the reason the franchise has not enjoyed more success in his first five years,  and I think many, if not most posters here believe that.      I think it's insane NOT to believe that.

4 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

I have seen it written a few times that the Colts organization is wasting Lucks career.  

Writers write a lot of things. Just to get the attention of people like you./ Hot takes. Just to rile you up.

Andrew is a player just like all others...nobody's wasting his career any more than they are wasting Gore's career or Adam Vinatieri's career.

There is no 'serious' perception that Luck is 'God' and the Colts are wasting him...

He does what he can....

Stop listening and reading folks who are 'playing you'

Dont get angry over a fake take

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Dare I say they got "Lucky," last year winning all those games with Matt?? haha 

I dont think they wouldve won more than 3 games with Scott at the helm this year.  Luck could've probably managed to get some scores during their 9000 trips to the redzone against the Steelers at least, one would assume. 

The team is bad, and much worse without Luck.  Lot of work to do to surround him with a capable super bowl caliber team.  Edit:  Including, but not limited to coaching staff/management also....  Can't forget that. 

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Dare I say they got "Lucky," last year winning all those games with Matt?? haha 

I dont think they wouldve won more than 3 games with Scott at the helm this year.  Luck could've probably managed to get some scores during their 9000 trips to the redzone against the Steelers at least, one would assume. 

The team is bad, and much worse without Luck.  Lot of work to do to surround him with a capable super bowl caliber team.  

Yeah, I agree. I feel Luck definitely would have scored in the red zone. That game was crazy. I can't remember ever seeing a team enter the red zone with out scoring so many times. 

When it comes to Andrew, everyone in here should just ask themselves this - what QB's that are currently playing would you rather have? Actually really only Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Brees are clearly better and Brady and Brees are getting old. I would take Andrew over Cam or Wilson, Wilson is Very Good but a lot of his success has been due to his Defenses giving him great field position and easy chances to score over the years. He also had Lynch when they won the SB, Lynch was the best player on their Offense not Wilson. Cam is Good/was Great last season but stunk in the SB and look at how Bad he was this season, he is more inconsistent than Andrew year to year IMO. Matt Ryan has been inconsistent as well over the years, a Good QB in reality and just having a Great season this year. Matt Hasselbeck beat Ryan last season in Atlanta for example.

5 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

5 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Comparing last year to this year is silly, look at the games our backups won without Luck: Jaguars at home, @ Texans, Atlanta, Tampa, @ Miami, Tennessee. There is one playoff team in that mix, Luck was hurt and played the tougher games on our schedule. Quarterback play as a whole is much better this year and our record remains the same, seems more like other areas of our team are in flux and regressing, rather than Luck. Also seemed like in the beginning of the season Luck struggled a lot and really appeared like he had another, unreported injury during that time. Either way, I don't think the team going 6-3 without him is an indictment of him as a player.

7 hours ago, talbott37 said:

What was the combined record of those teams they beat while Luck was out? 

I don't feel like looking that up so please enlighten me.  All I know is the Colts were 5-2 without him last year so they were more than just Andrew Luck that season.  I also recall Luck directing us to losses against the "powerhouse" Bills, Jets and Saints along the way. 

Even most Colts fans don't understand this. Luck has played with a pretty bad cast around him since he entered the league. Grigson and Pagano haven't done him any favors. There really isn't any QB who has ever played the game who is good enough to take the rest of this roster deep into the playoffs. Below average running game, one of the worst defenses. What do you guys expect? 

And yes, this year he had a low number of "dropped interceptions". It's an encouraging stat moving forward, because guys who get lucky or unlucky on that stat usually pull a bit towards the mean in the future, which means he very realistically could throw less picks next year. 

I think that the perfect storm as arisen in Indy. From draft mistakes up until recently, to FA players not turning out, and then add on top of that scheme or lack thereof, and motivation play a large part in this years record. Also, once again, injuries at least played a small part in this teams lack of success. Not to mention how many OCs have gone through Andrews career, has to make him at least doubt that the decisions being made from the top are knowledgeable ones.

We saw for the first 3 years what a team can do properly motivated. Once we lost in the AFCCG, it took the wind completely out of paganos sails. We didn't just lose that game either, we were shown what kind of team this really is, if there was any doubt before that, now we can see there is absolutely no doubt that pagano can't motivate his players. (And today Mathis is retiring. The motivation will been taken from Mathis alone)

And I'm not even going to argue with colts fans on whether or not Andrew is elite. I mean how are you even guageing what makes someone elite or not? All you need in the NFL is a QB who can take you to/win the SB. There's nothing else you can ask and Andrew completely fits that bill. In crunch time I have more faith in Andrew playing at a high level than most QBs not named Brady or Flacco (when he's in the playoffs). There is no question in my mind that Andrew is elite given the right supporting cast. His supporting cast is just all wrong. Teams need to believe in their teachers. Sure I like a lot of people and call a lot of people friends. That doesn't mean they can lead me through a successful career. 

So besides Andrew Luck, and TY Hilton, who else is helping Andrew stay consistent? Only Reggie Wayne has been there as consistently. 

And to blame Luck for holding the ball too long, is rediculous. When this line played a consistent game which wasn't very many, Andrew shined and was completely consistent. I blame routes and WRs ability to get open more than Andrew. He is throwing to open WRs, when ever they do get open. 

Besides the coaching staff, I am most disappointed in the WR group out of everyone. Even before defense.