Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What could the league do if Packers & Lions each took a knee the entire game next week?

SilentHill

If the Packers win they secure the NFC North title and the Lions are eliminated.

If the Lions win, they secure the NFC North title and the Packers are eliminated.

If the Packers and Lions tie, the Packers win the NFC North and the Lions grab the Wildcard.

Would there be public outrage if both teams took knees for 75 minutes? If I'm the Lions I would seriously consider this proposal to Green Bay.

Never thought about that lol.  It'd be funny if it ended in a tie but I am sure both teams want to win the division.  So if the Lions lose Packers win the division, if the Packers lose, the Lions win the division.  Who gets the other wild card along with the Giants?  I thought the Lions or Packers still could?

2 hours ago, SilentHill said:

If the Packers win they secure the NFC North title and the Lions are eliminated.

If the Lions win, they secure the NFC North title and the Packers are eliminated.

If the Packers and Lions tie, the Packers win the NFC North and the Lions grab the Wildcard.

Would there be public outrage if both teams took knees for 75 minutes? If I'm the Lions I would seriously consider this proposal to Green Bay.

There would be fines and suspensions like you've never seen. 

2 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I think each team would receive the largest fines, penalties and punishments in league history.

It would be a huge black mark on the NFL.        It would be among the worst, most embarrassing things to happen in the history of sports.

The teams would be fined the max.     The owners would be fined the max.     The HC's would be fined the max.   The teams would lose all of its draft picks.        If there are other possible penalties they would be imposed as well.

The way the OP worded his question, it would seem as if he's wondering if this would be a small problem....

No.

It would be a HUGE problem.      And it would be treated that way.       It would be considered the biggest scandal in the history of sports.     Two teams enter in collusion to try and fix a game?     No.

People would not only be fired, they'd be banned from sports forever.   Good luck with THAT on your resume!

By the way,   I didn't even mention that both teams would not only never do this,  they would never even consider it.     Not for a minute.    Not for a second.

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Both teams want to win the NFC north and are going to play to win.

This won't happen.  

And the collusion would be against NFL rules and might even be illegal.  And both teams suddenly deciding to take knees would be pretty firm evidence of collusion.  

If they are tied at the end of regulation, they could go into a conservative game plan but it goes against everything in the fabric of your making as a competitor. There are far too many competitors on those squads that would not even consider such a thing in the first place.

Besides, a home game by being a division winner is at stake. There is always the potential for hosting the NFCCG as well if a wild card team upsets the Cowboys and the NFC North winner wins a divisional game on the road. Home games trump everything, when it comes to the playoffs, from revenue to the probability of going to and winning a SB.

In other words, NOT HAPPENING. :) 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think each team would receive the largest fines, penalties and punishments in league history.

It would be a huge black mark on the NFL.        It would be among the worst, most embarrassing things to happen in the history of sports.

The teams would be fined the max.     The owners would be fined the max.     The HC's would be fined the max.   The teams would lose all of its draft picks.        If there are other possible penalties they would be imposed as well.

The way the OP worded his question, it would seem as if he's wondering if this would be a small problem....

No.

It would be a HUGE problem.      And it would be treated that way.       It would be considered the biggest scandal in the history of sports.     Two teams enter in collusion to try and fix a game?     No.

People would not only be fired, they'd be banned from sports forever.   Good luck with THAT on your resume!

By the way,   I didn't even mention that both teams would not only never do this,  they would never even consider it.     Not for a minute.    Not for a second.

I think you're blowing it way out of proportion.  While it wouldn't go over with the league, it wouldn't be the most embarrassing thing to ever happen in the history of football, or the biggest scandal in the history of sports.  Domestic violence issues, PEDs, the NFL covering up concussions, OJ Simpson, Harding/Kerrigan, Lance Armstrong, Tim Donaghy are all way more embarrassing and scandalous than this would be.

I don't think the teams would do it.  I think the Lions would rather fight to get a home playoff game, so they'll try to win the game, which will consequently mean the Packers would have to try and win too.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think you're blowing it way out of proportion.  While it wouldn't go over with the league, it wouldn't be the most embarrassing thing to ever happen in the history of football, or the biggest scandal in the history of sports.  Domestic violence issues, PEDs, the NFL covering up concussions, OJ Simpson, Harding/Kerrigan, Lance Armstrong, Tim Donaghy are all way more embarrassing and scandalous than this would be.

I don't think the teams would do it.  I think the Lions would rather fight to get a home playoff game, so they'll try to win the game, which will consequently mean the Packers would have to try and win too.

Actually it is a rule you must field a competitive team. I don't think taking knees the whole game would be considered competitive. Same thing with so called tanking. There are fines and loss of draft picks.

As far as the biggest deal it would certainly be a PR nightmare for the NFL.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

No.     If anything I didn't say enough bad things about it.      I absolutely did not over do it.

Stop for a moment.     Two teams would have openly colluded to fix and rig a game to pre-determine the outcome.       That one sentence kills any argument about this not being that bad.    

It's so, SO far worse than spousal abuse and PED use and all the rest of the examples would pale in comparison.      This would be the Mount Everest of Sports Scandals.     It wasn't one team cheating,  it was TWO TEAMS cheating TOGETHER to fix an outcome.     It goes to the very credibility of every game played.

It would easily be the biggest sports scandal of all-time.      Nothing would be a close second.

In fact,  I'd bet that the NFL would stop the game.    Send everyone home.     Refund the money.    And make sure that no one who participated in such a game would ever be associated with the NFL ever again.     Period.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.     If anything I didn't say enough bad things about it.      I absolutely did not over do it.

Stop for a moment.     Two teams would have openly colluded to fix and rig a game to pre-determine the outcome.       That one sentence kills any argument about this not being that bad.    

It's so, SO far worse than spousal abuse and PED use and all the rest of the examples would pale in comparison.      This would be the Mount Everest of Sports Scandals.     It wasn't one team cheating,  it was TWO TEAMS cheating TOGETHER to fix an outcome.     It goes to the very credibility of every game played.

It would easily be the biggest sports scandal of all-time.      Nothing would be a close second.

In fact,  I'd bet that the NFL would stop the game.    Send everyone home.     Refund the money.    And make sure that no one who participated in such a game would ever be associated with the NFL ever again.     Period.

Agree, after the 2nd kneel down the league would call in, stop the game, and be on the phone to both owners. 

Just now, JCPatriot said:

I.........I'm speechless.  I have no words.  I don't know what to say to that.

Goodness....      I'm not defending spouseal abuse.

But that's one man and one woman.    Unfortunately,  it happens all the time,  everyday around the world.    It's a common occurance.

The other hypothetical would destroy the credibility of the entire NFL and threaten the credibility of all sports leagues.        If something like that could happen to the biggest sports league in the world,  then it could happen elsewhere...     at least,  that's what millions of fans might think. 

So, every person involved in the NFL would be tainted.    Guilt by association.    Every upset would be in questioned.     Every strange play where the ball bounces funny would be in doubt.      I didn't call it the Mount Everest of sports scandals for nothing.        There would be nothing to compare it to and the ramifications would be never ending.

So if I'm saying it's so much bigger than Ray Rice punching his wife,   well,  it just is.

Just like murder is bigger than Rice punching his wife.      We're talking proportionality here.      One is just that much bigger than the other.      I'm not dismissing or making little of spousal abuse.    It's a terrible thing in America.    But it's a one one one crime.     The scandal would impact millions of people.

I hope this clarifies my position for you....

10 hours ago, SilentHill said:

haha 

Thinking outside the box!  I love it!  

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So if I'm saying it's so much bigger than Ray Rice punching his wife,   well,  it just is.

Wow.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just like murder is bigger than Rice punching his wife.      We're talking proportionality here.      One is just that much bigger than the other.     

I understand what an inequality is.  I just vehemently disagree with your selection of < vs. >.

5 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

Wow.

I understand what an inequality is.  I just vehemently disagree with your selection of < vs. >.

You say you understand it and yet you struggle to understand that something that impacts potentially hundred of thousands, if not millions, is bigger than something that impacts two people.     Hmmmm?

10 hours ago, SilentHill said:

The Lions would NEVER do that. You would never do it either

They both can still make the playoffs. If the Giants beat Washington, and if GB wins, then Detroit can get into the playoffs at 9-7 due to a Washington loss. Washington has the tie breaker over GB due to beating them in the regular season if they were to be a wild card team. 

CORRECTION: I was wrong...Washington's tie will still put them over a 9-7 team as a wildcard if they win against the Giants. 

13 hours ago, SilentHill said:

They'd never do it but I think it would be hilarious cause the sports world would blow up! Lol

16 hours ago, JCPatriot said:

Wow.

I think what NCF is saying is that the OP's proposal would be a much bigger controversy to the NFL than one of it's players being guilty of domestic violence.  I don't think he's necessarily saying that it would be worse from a moral perspective.  I could be wrong though.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's far worse than spousal abuse?  You and I have some incredibly different priorities and values.

You're blowing this so far out of proportion, it's comical.  If you really think this would be the biggest sports scandal of all time, you must not closely follow other sports around the world.  International sports span much more than American leagues.  What about the Italian soccer teams colluding to fix games?  What about the murder of Andres Escobar?  What about all the corruption with high level officials in FIFA?  I don't think it would even be the biggest scandal in American sports history.  Tim Donaghy openly admitted to changing calls to determine the outcome of games.

The league would not be happy about it, but it would absolutely not be the biggest scandal of all time.  And there's almost no chance the NFL would make sure those who participate would never be allowed to be associated with the NFL again.  Ray Lewis, Ben Roethlisberger, Gregg Williams, Greg Hardy, Ray Rice were all allowed to associate with the NFL again.  You really think the NFL is going to permanently ban all players from both side and the coaches?

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's far worse than spousal abuse?  You and I have some incredibly different priorities and values.

You're blowing this so far out of proportion, it's comical.  If you really think this would be the biggest sports scandal of all time, you must not closely follow other sports around the world.  International sports span much more than American leagues.  What about the Italian soccer teams colluding to fix games?  What about the murder of Andres Escobar?  What about all the corruption with high level officials in FIFA?  I don't think it would even be the biggest scandal in American sports history.  Tim Donaghy openly admitted to changing calls to determine the outcome of games.

The league would not be happy about it, but it would absolutely not be the biggest scandal of all time.  And there's almost no chance the NFL would make sure those who participate would never be allowed to be associated with the NFL again.  Ray Lewis, Ben Roethlisberger, Gregg Williams, Greg Hardy, Ray Rice were all allowed to associate with the NFL again.  You really think the NFL is going to permanently ban all players from both side and the coaches?

It would be treated as the biggest sports scandal of all time.  

I'm not saying it would be MORALLY worse then what a lot of other people have done.  

But having 2 teams on live TV refusing to play the game and obviously trying to force a tie would be a lot bigger then those things.

But the collusion on it would be obvious, so it wouldn't happen.  

14 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not one example you gave compares to this hypothetical.    Not one.    Not even close.      The NFL is the most high-profile sport in the world.     Scandals elsewhere don't compare because the rest of the world is used to these kind of scandals,  they almost accept them       Not in America.

Here's the deal:    If this hypothetical happened it would be obvious from the start and the NFL would step in and stop the game and cancel it.   The teams would be disqualified and suspended.       Every player,  coach and front office person who had any knowledge would not only be fired,  but they'd likely get criminally prosecuted and would never work in the sports world again.

Plus....

The credibility of the NFL would be in jeopardy.     If it happened once, did something like fixing a game ever happen before?      TV and Radio ratings go down.    Sponsors either disappear or would want to pay dramatically less.      Season tickets go way down.     Money coming in slows dramatically.     Team valuations suffer badly.      The ripple effects are staggering.   

By extension,  fans wonder about other sports where it might be easier to fix a game.    One good basketball player can throw a game by playing badly and just chalk it up to an off night.    

I've made three long posts detailing what would likely happen and I promise you there are aspects that I've likely missed and overlooked.     This would easily be one of the top-10 NEWS stories of the year.    Not sports stories....   NEWS stories.     It would be huge.     And the stain is hard to wipe off.

Credibility takes years to earn.     But only a few minutes to lose.      That's the thing.     A few terrible minutes can really blow things up.

Three long posts on a hypothetical is my limit....      I'm done...

If you'd like the last word,  be my guest.....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not one example you gave compares to this hypothetical.    Not one.    Not even close.      The NFL is the most high-profile sport in the world.     Scandals elsewhere don't compare because the rest of the world is used to these kind of scandals,  they almost accept them       Not in America.

Here's the deal:    If this hypothetical happened it would be obvious from the start and the NFL would step in and stop the game and cancel it.   The teams would be disqualified and suspended.       Every player,  coach and front office person who had any knowledge would not only be fired,  but they'd likely get criminally prosecuted and would never work in the sports world again.

Plus....

The credibility of the NFL would be in jeopardy.     If it happened once, did something like fixing a game ever happen before?      TV and Radio ratings go down.    Sponsors either disappear or would want to pay dramatically less.      Season tickets go way down.     Money coming in slows dramatically.     Team valuations suffer badly.      The ripple effects are staggering.   

By extension,  fans wonder about other sports where it might be easier to fix a game.    One good basketball player can throw a game by playing badly and just chalk it up to an off night.    

I've made three long posts detailing what would likely happen and I promise you there are aspects that I've likely missed and overlooked.     This would easily be one of the top-10 NEWS stories of the year.    Not sports stories....   NEWS stories.     It would be huge.     And the stain is hard to wipe off.

Credibility takes years to earn.     But only a few minutes to lose.      That's the thing.     A few terrible minutes can really blow things up.

Not to mention that a lot of those instances are individual players doing things that are immoral or illegal.  Among a large group of people you are always going to have some bad ones everyone knows that.

This is 2 entire teams doing something.  Colluding not to play the game.  That would be unprecedented.  

The hammer could come down hard on everyone.  The entire world of sports would demand it so as to prevent such collusion from ever happening again.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not to mention that a lot of those instances are individual players doing things that are immoral or illegal.  Among a large group of people you are always going to have some bad ones everyone knows that.

This is 2 entire teams doing something.  Colluding not to play the game.  That would be unprecedented.  

The hammer could come down hard on everyone.  The entire world of sports would demand it so as to prevent such collusion from ever happening again.

Yep.

Thing is with all the scandals with domestic violence etc. is a law enforcement thing.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Bless your heart,  thank you!    

Thank you, thank you,  and thank you!!

We used to have an emoji where a guy was down on his knees and bowing to show thanks.      We don't have it anymore,  but please consider that it's right here,  right now,  saying thanks!

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Plus....

If you think the football is the world's most popular sport, you're mistaken.  Soccer is by far the world's most popular sport.  Depending on what stats you use, you could make a case that cricket is more popular than football worldwide.  Outside of North America, American football isn't that popular.

And the fact that you overlooked the game fixing scandals in the Italian leagues in 2006 and 2011 and say this one hypothetical instance would be a bigger scandal shows you don't understand the impact soccer has worldwide.  Not only was the Italian match fixing scandal similar to this hypothetical (teams fixing games and pre-determining the outcomes), but the two scandals involved some of the top teams on the planet and many managers and players.  But somehow, you think this hypothetical involving two NFL teams would be more significant than a scandal involving more teams and more people in a more popular sport.

Just because you don't pay attention to other sports leagues around the world, doesn't mean the rest of the world ignores them.  In fact, it's the exact opposite.  You may ignore them, but the rest of the world pays more attention whereas the rest of the world doesn't really care about the NFL.

Lastly, this would not be one of the top 10 news stories of the year.  Political stories, like the US election, the Brexit vote, or the ongoings in Syria would dominate.  You're losing all perspective and giving the NFL way more credit and attention than it really gets on a global scale.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If you think the football is the world's most popular sport, you're mistaken.  Soccer is by far the world's most popular sport.  Depending on what stats you use, you could make a case that cricket is more popular than football worldwide.  Outside of North America, American football isn't that popular.

And the fact that you overlooked the game fixing scandals in the Italian leagues in 2006 and 2011 and say this one hypothetical instance would be a bigger scandal shows you don't understand the impact soccer has worldwide.  Not only was the Italian match fixing scandal similar to this hypothetical (teams fixing games and pre-determining the outcomes), but the two scandals involved some of the top teams on the planet and many managers and players.  But somehow, you think this hypothetical involving two NFL teams would be more significant than a scandal involving more teams and more people in a more popular sport.

Just because you don't pay attention to other sports leagues around the world, doesn't mean the rest of the world ignores them.  In fact, it's the exact opposite.  You may ignore them, but the rest of the world pays more attention whereas the rest of the world doesn't really care about the NFL.

Lastly, this would not be one of the top 10 news stories of the year.  Political stories, like the US election, the Brexit vote, or the ongoings in Syria would dominate.  You're losing all perspective and giving the NFL way more credit and attention than it really gets on a global scale.

Soccer is easily the most popular sport in the world they have leagues all over the world. It's like the only sport played at a high level in nearly every continent.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I didn't say most popular.....     I said high profile.

The difference is this.....        Most popular is a numbers game.     You're right,  sports like soccer or cricket or others perhaps have more total numbers.

But when a team wins a championship somewhere else around the world is barely registers here in America.   Not often on TV.     Back in the back pages of the newspaper, etc.       Here in America,  not nearly as many care.

But when the NFL crowns a Super Bowl champion is makes headlines elsewhere outside the country.    And, obviously it's huge here in America.         There's a difference between the two.

As to losing perspective.....    I've been a member of the media for 30 years.    It's not hard to recognize a giant story.      I'm not kidding at all when I tell you it would easily be a top-10 news story of the year.    Perhaps not elsewhere in the world,   but here in America --- absolutely.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't say most popular.....     I said high profile.

The difference is this.....        Most popular is a numbers game.     You're right,  sports like soccer or cricket or others perhaps have more total numbers.

But when a team wins a championship somewhere else around the world is barely registers here in America.   Not often on TV.     Back in the back pages of the newspaper, etc.       Here in America,  not nearly as many care.

But when the NFL crowns a Super Bowl champion is makes headlines elsewhere outside the country.    And, obviously it's huge here in America.         There's a difference between the two.

As to losing perspective.....    I've been a member of the media for 30 years.    It's not hard to recognize a giant story.      I'm not kidding at all when I tell you it would easily be a top-10 news story of the year.    Perhaps not elsewhere in the world,   but here in America --- absolutely.

That's fine, but just because America doesn't pay attention to other sports, doesn't mean the rest of the world ignores it.  You were saying the Lions and Packers deliberately tying the game would be the biggest scandal in sports history.  I'm saying it won't be because the realm of worldwide professional sports is far greater than what North America pays attention to.  The NFL is not the most high profile professional league in the world because the NFL is not greatly followed in countries outside of North America.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The entire world of sport does not care what the NFL does.

As for unprecedented....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Italian_football_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Italian_football_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympics_figure_skating_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_betting_scandal

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

That's fine, but just because America doesn't pay attention to other sports, doesn't mean the rest of the world ignores it.  You were saying the Lions and Packers deliberately tying the game would be the biggest scandal in sports history.  I'm saying it won't be because the realm of worldwide professional sports is far greater than what North America pays attention to.  The NFL is not the most high profile professional league in the world because the NFL is not greatly followed in countries outside of North America.

Then if you want to reference it as the biggest sports scandal in American history --- fine.

And then what?

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Then if you want to reference it as the biggest sports scandal in American history --- fine.

And then what?

Do you really think this situation, where two teams are both trying to make it to the playoffs and extend their seasons, would be a bigger scandal than Tim Donaghy fixing games as a ref for personal gain or the Black Sox scandal where they threw the World Series for personal gain?  In this situation, both teams are trying to make the playoffs and win a championship.  In the other two, someone is trying to make a personal gain.  I think that lessens the evil, so to speak