Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If your Team needed a QB this offseason whobdo you go for?

JimJaime

If your team needed a QB who would be the better option to trade for Romo, Jimmy G., Siemiens/Lynch?

for myself depends, if I was just a QB away from being a SB contender. I choose Romo (he be perfect in Houston)

if i am a team like Jacksonville, I go for Lynch or Siemiens. As that would take less draft capital than Jimmy G. (IMO) 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Romo on the Broncos would be scary for a couple of years. Not sure if he can stay healthy though? I am not sure what to make of Jimmy G, I haven't had enough of a sample size to know whether he is Good or not. In the Patriots system several QB's seem to play Good, Brady of course has been Great.

If the Broncos are smart I think they stay with the 2 QBs they already have in place.   Paxton Lynch should be ready to take over next season and you'll have a more than capable back up in Simien.   Romo just won't stay healthy.

I think Romo will end up in Denver or Buffalo(I don't have a reason why) so he could be a quality starter somewhere if he can stay healthy which is probably pretty doubtful.  If the Pats let go of Jimmy G, he'd be a good pick up.  I think AJ McCarron could be a starter and an upgrade on a few teams as well.  He had that playoff game won against Pitt last year.  I also think if Matt Barkleys play can carry on over to next year that he could be decent, he's played well.   I think Kizer, Watson and Kaaya coming out of this years draft all have a chance to be solid starters.  Options aren't great if you don't have a QB but they could be worse. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

If the Broncos are smart I think they stay with the 2 QBs they already have in place.   Paxton Lynch should be ready to take over next season and you'll have a more than capable back up in Simien.   Romo just won't stay healthy.

They may but if the Broncos miss the Playoffs I am sure Elway wont like that at all. Lynch could end up being Good? but as of now nobody knows.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They may but if the Broncos miss the Playoffs I am sure Elway wont like that at all. Lynch could end up being Good? but as of now nobody knows.

They have enough data from this season and all of the 2017 offseason and preseason to decide what they want to do.   I can't see it being Simien I will say that.

Glennon from TB is a free agent this year. He looked good before they brought in Winston.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's a top target for QB needy Teams. Dont have to trade picks for him, he's young, but still has some game experience, and he has the tools to succeed at the NFL level if in the right situation.  he probably won't be a top 5 QB, but the chances of any top 5 QB hitting free agency is next to impossible.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Romo on the Broncos would be scary for a couple of years. Not sure if he can stay healthy though? I am not sure what to make of Jimmy G, I haven't had enough of a sample size to know whether he is Good or not. In the Patriots system several QB's seem to play Good, Brady of course has been Great.

Denver needs to get tougher on the o-line that's what is hurting them their small o-line cant open running lanes against good teams.

This may sound crazy, and it probably is, but myself I think that if you paired Romo up with Palmer and had them on a two week rotation, you could probably get some great QB play out of them. I know, I know, "if you have two quarterbacks you don't have one" but the QB rotation plan has worked in the past(not recently). Honestly it's probably both guys best chance to get a Superbowl. Now ego's and such probably make this an extremely fanciful idea, and I know that, but I really do think with these two guys it could work. Otherwise Romo should just suck it up and take the backup role in Dallas if a ring is what he truly wants.

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Kirk Cousins.  If you feel all you need is the QB then he is the guy and you find a way to get him.   That's Houston, Buffalo, Denver  to name a few. 

I can't see any situation where he isn't at least franchise tagged.  I fully expect him to reach a long term deal with Washington at some point

38 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I can't see any situation where he isn't at least franchise tagged.  I fully expect him to reach a long term deal with Washington at some point

I think he was playing under the tag this year.  To do it again is really strapping your cap.  Will he sign long term with them?  I think he has a lot of leverage here and considering their record and their needs a lot of picks might look attractive.  You would think a long term deal should happen but it didn't get done last year so I can't rule out a trade. 

If I am close to a division winner with just a QB needed with a championship D in place, I'd go with Romo.

If I am a team that is a few years away from a championship caliber D, I'd go with someone that can carry the offensive load like a Kirk Cousins. If I am shelling out $20 mil. per year, I'd rather do that on someone with enough starting experience. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think he was playing under the tag this year.  To do it again is really strapping your cap.  Will he sign long term with them?  I think he has a lot of leverage here and considering their record and their needs a lot of picks might look attractive.  You would think a long term deal should happen but it didn't get done last year so I can't rule out a trade. 

He's currently 2nd in the NFL in pass yards behind Drew Brees.  I think Washington would be foolish to let him get away.  He's going to have plenty of suitors, but he seems like the kind of guy who would want to stay in Washington.  He has a good rapport with the other offensive players, he has good rapport with the coaching staff, he is/has been a captain for them, and he's playing well.  When you have a guy playing this well, you pay him.

23 hours ago, JimJaime said:

If your team needed a QB who would be the better option to trade for Romo, Jimmy G., Siemiens/Lynch?

for myself depends, if I was just a QB away from being a SB contender. I choose Romo (he be perfect in Houston)

if i am a team like Jacksonville, I go for Lynch or Siemiens. As that would take less draft capital than Jimmy G. (IMO) 

Romo might be perfect fit in Houston but it's pretty much a cap prohibitive move. Romo is due 14 mill in 2017. Oswieler is guaranteed 16 mill in 2017. Add to that Oswieler's 3 mill prorated bonus and you'd have a cap hit of 33,6000 when you add Savage's  600 K.  That's not doable IMO. Plus Romo is too old and injury prone to fool around with his contract.... unless they just wanted to push maybe 10 mill down the road ? Teams normally don't go down that road.

15 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

He's currently 2nd in the NFL in pass yards behind Drew Brees.  I think Washington would be foolish to let him get away.  He's going to have plenty of suitors, but he seems like the kind of guy who would want to stay in Washington.  He has a good rapport with the other offensive players, he has good rapport with the coaching staff, he is/has been a captain for them, and he's playing well.  When you have a guy playing this well, you pay him.

Washington will no doubt re-sign him. Contract will probably be too large but in today's NFL you need a good QB to contend. Unless you have a defense like the 2015 Broncos I guess.

If I were looking for a QB this offseason I would go after Nick Foles.   I imagine Foles will be released by KC this offseason due to the $10.75 mil cap hit in 2017.  Unless of course they redo his contract...or decide to release Alex Smith.

It depends on the system and team. SF for example wouldn't use Romo even though they could easily afford him. I heard Buffalo was interested in Cutler. Tyrod Taylor is on his way out. He is another one of those guys that has had sparks of greatness but mostly been mediocre. RGIII might be available. A team like Arizona might sign him to be a backup. The market is flush with a lot of avg qbs...but none other than Romo I would say are game changers. I would say Glennon is an intriguing talent. He has played well in his time in TB and I would say a team will take a shot at him....maybe Chicago I get a feeling. You draft a young qb and sit him and see if Glennon for a year or two works out and maybe have a trade piece later. LA is invested and I don't think they go after another qb. Got to develop the one you have. I would say guys that are the best fit/logical choices are below....depending on money/moves

Rank               Best fit/likely destination

1. Cousins       Was/Was

2. Romo         Hou/Jets

3. Glennon     Chi/Chi

4. Jimmy G.   NE/NE*  remains backup unless they fetch a 1 for him (don't think they will)

5. Cutler         JETS/BUF

Backups with chance to push for starting jobs or step in

6. McCarron    LA/CLE

7. Taylor        ARI/SF

8. Kaep          SF/JAX

9. Fitzpatrick  BUF/LA

10 RGIII         CLE/ARI 

I don't think Denver makes a move with their two qbs nor do I think they need to. They need to evaluate the two young guys they have. I think Lynch gets a chance to start next year and Simien backs him up. There are some others that will hit the market but I don't see any that could compete for a starting gig or even noteworthy. It will be interesting to see where the qbs all land but only a few will land starting gigs. I think the rest will be backups to push the starters or as an emergency. I don't see much in the draft so I think we will see these teams all look to add one in the draft and a vet.

On 12/20/2016 at 0:34 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lynch might not be ready next year, so Trevor may get the starting job again.  But Paxton should be ready to bolt past Siemian in year 3 and not look back.  Lynch is a much more athletic version of Osweiler, with an even stronger arm. Lynch has to learn the playbook and it's language, learn to call plays, read defenses, master footwork (IE: 3,5, 7 step drops, etc.) from under center, etc

It all depends on Paxton, and whether Kubes thinks he has all of the ingredients mixed up and is ready to bake in the game oven. Lynch will eventually be very, very good. if not great.

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

Romo might be perfect fit in Houston but it's pretty much a cap prohibitive move. Romo is due 14 mill in 2017. Oswieler is guaranteed 16 mill in 2017. Add to that Oswieler's 3 mill prorated bonus and you'd have a cap hit of 33,6000 when you add Savage's  600 K.  That's not doable IMO. Plus Romo is too old and injury prone to fool around with his contract.... unless they just wanted to push maybe 10 mill down the road ? Teams normally don't go down that road.

That's why Romo isn't going to Denver either....they cant afford him

.....Romo to Arizona to replace carson palmer?

On 12/20/2016 at 2:09 PM, richard pallo said:

Kirk Cousins.  If you feel all you need is the QB then he is the guy and you find a way to get him.   That's Houston, Buffalo, Denver  to name a few. 

He is poised to become the highest paid QB in the game.  He pulled a Joe Flacco, and it worked for him too.  Wait and see.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are-3-reasons-why-kirk-cousins-will-be-nfls-highest-paid-player/

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He is poised to become the highest paid QB in the game.  He pulled a Joe Flacco, and it worked for him too.  Wait and see.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are-3-reasons-why-kirk-cousins-will-be-nfls-highest-paid-player/

He is good!! all it took was some dang patience like I said numerous times during his career. I love Kirk I'm an msu fan and I've always been a huge fan. I'm so gold to see him playing so well. People laughed when I said he was better the RG3.