Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew luck never yells

NeedsADefence

15 hours ago, NeedsADefence said:

i am not saying cut the bum but dang grow a pair and and start holding other people accountable.

Holding these players accountable, that's the responsibility of the coaching staff. Sit a player, make him run extra drills in practice, make the individuals address the locker room about how this play shown on film could have been made better by what he did or didn't do, demote a starter to special teams or outright cut a player for not giving his all when it is demanded and given by others. Be a Blair White, play over your capabilities and make fans adore you and ask for you to have a bigger role. So much more effective than having your QB yell at you on the field for messing up or not performing. Now, if Luck had the authority to tell a player to get off the field of play until he plays all out or effectively, then Luck should yell at players. Right now, luck is a peer not the coach. 

12 hours ago, will426 said:

Him being picked in the first round doesn't mean he was meant to be a first round pick & if the coaches are failing to let this man know the one who's throwing him the passes need to and you never know if yelling will change anything or not but its worth a try because letting it slide during the game then hounding him in practice doesn't seem to be working 

Which do you think would make a bigger impact on Dorsett?

1. Andrew Luck berating him on the field or sidelines how his drop just cost the team a first down and killed that drive

or

2. Pagano, Dorsett, I'm not dressing you for this game because of the drops and/or wrong routes your making or giving up on. I'll re-evaluate your progress and desire through the following 2 weeks on how your practice, work ethic and attitude towards being the best player on the field evolves. Right now, son you are not cutting it on the field and your drops are killing drives. Here is a series of tapes to watch while your off the field. Here are some routines and I need you to get with wr coach and work on these drills this week. I'll check back and give you feedback on your progress and I will determine where we go from here. 

Now, which one would impact your going forward and production? Better question, why does your choice make it better than the other? 

Basically yelling shows emotion, it shows passion, it shows you care about what you are doing and you are trying to get the best out of yourself and your teammates. I want a fiery, passionate leader if I'm getting led, and likewise, if I'm leading the charge, I'm going to be leading with that same emotion and passion to get the best out my teammates. If you are tough enough to play football, then a little yelling shouldn't cause you to break down. Instead, it should drive to do better and fight for your team, fight for your leader, and win the day.

Luck isn't passionate as most people think, IMO. He treats football like a hobby and a game instead of War. You are out to outscore the other team and win. This is taking a group of 53 men and beating another group of 53 men. This is a strategy game, Luck is the leader, he needs to be a leader of men, someone like Peyton Manning that leads by example and the other players can follow.

No more of this snowflake generation crap. There's no participation trophy, there's no prize for 2nd. When these players are on the field, you aren't friends, you aren't hanging out at the movies, you are fighting for your honor, your coaches honor, your QB's honor, and your cities honor. Be men, and destroy the other team. Work together to accomplish your goals. These men of the past were so revered because of their intensity. A good number of them were less talented then the players of today, but their intensity and passion drove them. Peyton had those Qualities as well. I don't see it in Luck or this Colts team.

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

1. Andrew Luck berating him on the field or sidelines how his drop just cost the team a first down and killed that drive

or

2. Pagano, Dorsett, I'm not dressing you for this game because of the drops and/or wrong routes your making or giving up on. I'll re-evaluate your progress and desire through the following 2 weeks on how your practice, work ethic and attitude towards being the best player on the field evolves. Right now, son you are not cutting it on the field and your drops are killing drives. Here is a series of tapes to watch while your off the field. Here are some routines and I need you to get with wr coach and work on these drills this week. I'll check back and give you feedback on your progress and I will determine where we go from here. 

Now, which one would impact your going forward and production? Better question, why does your choice make it better than the other? 

This is a huge problem. The 1st choice forces Dorsett to take responsibility for his action. He'll realize he was the problem and his actions have consequences when he screws up.

The 2nd choice coddles him. The coach is making excuses for him and letting him off the hook. He takes no responsibility and does the same thing next time. There is no discipline and Dorsett gets nothing out of the experience. He knows he will receive the same amount of playing time and he doesn't have that fear installed inside of him to truly work harder.

The compromise would be to bench him for a few games, but that hurts the Colts, and Dorsett gets paid, so it really accomplishes nothing. If you release him, someone else picks him up as well. So in this case, Luck would need to yell at him to have him bear responsibility, and maybe embarrass him in front of the guys.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is a huge problem. The 1st choice forces Dorsett to take responsibility for his action. He'll realize he was the problem and his actions have consequences when he screws up.

The 2nd choice coddles him. The coach is making excuses for him and letting him off the hook. He takes no responsibility and does the same thing next time. There is no discipline and Dorsett gets nothing out of the experience. He knows he will receive the same amount of playing time and he doesn't have that fear installed inside of him to truly work harder.

The compromise would be to bench him for a few games, but that hurts the Colts, and Dorsett gets paid, so it really accomplishes nothing. If you release him, someone else picks him up as well. So in this case, Luck would need to yell at him to have him bear responsibility, and maybe embarrass him in front of the guys.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that type of response. Are you sure you didn't get these mixed up? 

Luck yells at him on the field and he knows he screwed up. Goes back out nExt series and screws up again and so on. Coach sits him and doesn't even dress him ( a first round pick) not due to injury, everyone on the team knows what that means, the fans reading the articles or seeing tv commentary knows what it means and Dorsett certainly knows what it means. He is embarrassed that he gets called out for performance and can either choose to say its other people's fault and be * off or he can take that time to work harder and get better. Is he hurting the team by being sat? Yes he is and that's on him and he has to own that. That's his admonishment and penalty. It's a team sport and these guys want to win as a team. By him letting the team down, it's up to him to look into the mirror and either work at it or wait to get cut and show them. Stuff like this gets noticed around the league if he got cut and for what reason. Looking at tape and him getting sat and then cut, that would tell new teams a lot about him IMO. 

The first approach is in the moment driven and does little in the long term. If I mess up, Andrew is gonna yell at me. I can't imagine that being a catalyst of forcing me into working harder at my game. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Wow, I wasn't expecting that type of response. Are you sure you didn't get these mixed up? 

Luck yells at him on the field and he knows he screwed up. Goes back out nExt series and screws up again and so on. Coach sits him and doesn't even dress him ( a first round pick) not due to injury, everyone on the team knows what that means, the fans reading the articles or seeing tv commentary knows what it means and Dorsett certainly knows what it means. He is embarrassed that he gets called out for performance and can either choose to say its other people's fault and be * off or he can take that time to work harder and get better. Is he hurting the team by being sat? Yes he is and that's on him and he has to own that. That's his admonishment and penalty. It's a team sport and these guys want to win as a team. By him letting the team down, it's up to him to look into the mirror and either work at it or wait to get cut and show them. Stuff like this gets noticed around the league if he got cut and for what reason. Looking at tape and him getting sat and then cut, that would tell new teams a lot about him IMO. 

The first approach is in the moment driven and does little in the long term. If I mess up, Andrew is gonna yell at me. I can't imagine that being a catalyst of forcing me into working harder at my game. 

I know you didn't expect that. I'm a believer of being the drill sergeant. I think it has many benefits and it shows you want to win and truly care. Dorsett isn't improving at this rate. What you are failing to realize is that the 2nd option has been happening and it doesn't affect Dorsett. What needs to happen is that Luck calls him out on his bad play. It won't happen in a press conference or on the mic, so the next best thing that can happen is the world hears it on live tv during a game. That may force Dorsett to look in the mirror and get better. Sometimes the best way to learn is to get embarrassed in front of your friends or family, or in this case, a national audience.

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Sources? What evidence supports this notion?

He can't lead?

We won't hear Andrew yell until he himself starts playing. There tons of sources about this. He blames himself for some of those sacks by the offensive line as well as turnovers. He has to play better and lead by example is what I'm alluding too. Do you listen to any of the post game interviews? 

He hasn't gotten playing time for sure but he hasn't been sat and not dressed yet. We will have to agree to disagree here with this because while drill sergeant technique may work in some applications like the army or even during practice drills in the NFL, I'd argue it has very little motivation on the actual field, in game play. And trust me, I can be pretty structured and quite the a$$  

it will be interestng how other here view this different approach to handling Dorsett motivation type. 

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

He hasn't gotten playing time for sure but he hasn't been sat and not dressed yet. We will have to agree to disagree here with this because while drill sergeant technique may work in some applications like the army or even during practice drills in the NFL, I'd argue it has very little motivation on the actual field, in game play. And trust me, I can be pretty structured and quite the a$$  

it will be interestng how other here view this different approach to handling Dorsett motivation type. 

Fair enough. I agree it doesn't work too well in the job force anymore, but in competitions, it should serve as a motivational factor to drive fear into the person if they don't perform up to expectations. Agree to disagree though.

17 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We won't hear Andrew yell until he himself starts playing. There tons of sources about this. He blames himself for some of those sacks by the offensive line as well as turnovers. He has to play better and lead by example is what I'm alluding too. Do you listen to any of the post game interviews? 

I sure do a06cc. You are correct that he needs to play better on a consistent basis. But notice, he DOES hold himself accountable. That's often what a good and successful leader does. 

I'll use another example of someone very popular within our Colts family: Tony Dungy. The quiet man. He garnered massive respect from his players and peers, and I don't think I ever witnessed him yelling at anyone on live television. That's not to say he never showed emotion. As many have alluded to, he most likely conducted his business in private. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

or

Your implying that I'm saying luck needs to down him no I'm saying luck needs to motivate him in a different way because this passive way isn't working..not saying to say "your drops cost of this drive or first first down" something more like "I need you to be able to make that catches" "CATCH THE BALL PHIL" and enough about pagano only time he's gotten this team motivated was when he wasn't even on the damn field...and also your speaking about after the game what pagano should do forget after the game he had 5 drops during the game and they're just sitting casually on the sidelines like it's not a big deal let this young man know he needs to make that catch in a game We Need To Win what happens after the game is irrelevant if we lose  should've been said prior to the end of the game 

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basically yelling shows emotion, it shows passion, it shows you care about what you are doing and you are trying to get the best out of yourself and your teammates. I want a fiery, passionate leader if I'm getting led, and likewise, if I'm leading the charge, I'm going to be leading with that same emotion and passion to get the best out my teammates. If you are tough enough to play football, then a little yelling shouldn't cause you to break down. Instead, it should drive to do better and fight for your team, fight for your leader, and win the day.

Luck isn't passionate as most people think, IMO. He treats football like a hobby and a game instead of War. You are out to outscore the other team and win. This is taking a group of 53 men and beating another group of 53 men. This is a strategy game, Luck is the leader, he needs to be a leader of men, someone like Peyton Manning that leads by example and the other players can follow.

No more of this snowflake generation crap. There's no participation trophy, there's no prize for 2nd. When these players are on the field, you aren't friends, you aren't hanging out at the movies, you are fighting for your honor, your coaches honor, your QB's honor, and your cities honor. Be men, and destroy the other team. Work together to accomplish your goals. These men of the past were so revered because of their intensity. A good number of them were less talented then the players of today, but their intensity and passion drove them. Peyton had those Qualities as well. I don't see it in Luck or this Colts team.

Yelling is a way to show passion, but it's not the only way. I'm not one to get in people's face or yell, but I have a tremendous amount of passion for my career and my peers are well aware. The attitude you carry in to the building, the extra work you put in - that says a lot more to me than just getting angry and yelling at a guy that already knows he screwed up. 

Im not saying it never works, because I do believe it could light a fire under certain people when used correctly. But just because Luck doesn't use that style of leadership does not mean he isn't a good leader or he treats football as a "hobby"

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Only one way to show passion?  Com'on.  Surely you can't believe such a short-sighted thing.

1 hour ago, BPindy said:

Yelling is a way to show passion, but it's not the only way. I'm not one to get in people's face or yell, but I have a tremendous amount of passion for my career and my peers are well aware. The attitude you carry in to the building, the extra work you put in - that says a lot more to me than just getting angry and yelling at a guy that already knows he screwed up. 

Im not saying it never works, because I do believe it could light a fire under certain people when used correctly. But just because Luck doesn't use that style of leadership does not mean he isn't a good leader or he treats football as a "hobby"

I'm somewhat nitpicking because I'm frustrated at this season and the coach and GM we have. I get what you're saying. This is a vent more than anything.

26 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Only one way to show passion?  Com'on.  Surely you can't believe such a short-sighted thing.

It's not the only way, I agree. I'm venting for the most part because of the lack of passion this team shows. It isn't because of a lack of yelling or anger, but it is because they have given up. I'm somewhat in shock after the Texans game still, and I apologize. Just really want new coaching and a new GM at this point, and I'm not sure if we're going to get it. For the first time since I've been a fan of this team at 10 years old when Manning joined, I feel significant doubt for the future. Doesn't even matter if we have Andrew Luck, Pagano and Grigson destroy him and this team.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not the only way, I agree. I'm venting for the most part because of the lack of passion this team shows. It isn't because of a lack of yelling or anger, but it is because they have given up. I'm somewhat in shock after the Texans game still, and I apologize. Just really want new coaching and a new GM at this point, and I'm not sure if we're going to get it. For the first time since I've been a fan of this team at 10 years old when Manning joined, I feel significant doubt for the future. Doesn't even matter if we have Andrew Luck, Pagano and Grigson destroy him and this team.

They may not be the right guys for the job, grant you.  While we've had a pretty bad year this year, the bottom line is, we do have Andrew Luck.  If they truly aren't the guys for the job, we have to grit out one more year as fans.  

On 12/14/2016 at 1:39 PM, 21isSuperman said:

What we see during the games and what goes on behind closed doors is different.  I've read articles where other players have said Luck gets in someone's face in practice if they mess up.  It's a good approach, in my opinion.  Getting in a teammate's face in front of the cameras never does you any good

Luck shouldn't try to emulate anyone or try to be something that he isn't, but Tom Brady absolutely laid into Julian Edelman on the sideline on Monday night for slowing down on a route that almost resulted in an interception. Needless to say, Edelman didn't make that mistake a second time. If you ask me, every one of our WRs could use that type of kick in the rear end from time to time.

Football is a competitive sport. You need either a team mate be able to get in your face and make you feel uncomfortable (if you're not playing up to your abilities), or a coach. Challenge promotes growth. I don't think you need to yell to get that point across. But I do wonder if this is happening or not behind closed doors in practice. I'll tell you what, among team mates being called out in practice will light a fire under you, and if it doesn't then why are you playing in such a highly competitive sport? $$$

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Luck shouldn't try to emulate anyone or try to be something that he isn't, but Tom Brady absolutely laid into Julian Edelman on the sideline on Monday night for slowing down on a route that almost resulted in an interception. Needless to say, Edelman didn't make that mistake a second time. If you ask me, every one of our WRs could use that type of kick in the rear end from time to time.

The problem with this whole line of thinking is that everyone on the team knows Luck isn't one to lead in that way. He runs the risk of coming off as not being genuine if he suddenly morphs into a drill sergeant on the field. Granted, I think as he becomes an older vet he can get away with it more. But older veterans will not respond well to someone raking them over the coals -- even by the best player on the team -- if that player is younger than they are. It is just the way people are.

Now for Dorsett, who is younger than Luck, I think it might work. But then the problem is if Luck does that to Dorsett, he better be prepared to do it to every single person on the offense when they start playing poorly. It turns into a lose-lose IMO.

1 hour ago, Dudley Smith said:

Granted, I think as he becomes an older vet he can get away with it more. But older veterans will not respond well to someone raking them over the coals -- even by the best player on the team -- if that player is younger than they are. It is just the way people are.

I don't totally disagree with this. But at the same time, outside of Gore & Castonzo, there aren't any older vets on offense. Everyone was drafted 2012 or later.

39 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't totally disagree with this. But at the same time, outside of Gore & Castonzo, there aren't any older vets on offense. Everyone was drafted 2012 or later.

When I made the comment I was immediately thinking of Castonzo, but I could see people like TY and Allen reacting negatively as well even though they are the same age. Between TY's drops and Allen's poor play in general there would certainly be opportunities to give both of them hell. My main point was you can't simply go after only the youngest guys -- if you hold Dorsett accountable you'll need to hold everyone accountable.

56 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

When I made the comment I was immediately thinking of Castonzo, but I could see people like TY and Allen reacting negatively as well even though they are the same age. Between TY's drops and Allen's poor play in general there would certainly be opportunities to give both of them hell. My main point was you can't simply go after only the youngest guys -- if you hold Dorsett accountable you'll need to hold everyone accountable.

I feel like if we had a coach that held players accountable we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Why do people keep comparing their lives and JOBS to nfl players? Yes at your job yelling is not acceptable. This is professional football we are talking about. I am sure I will get destroyed for saying this, but there are no girls in football. Hurt feelings do not matter in sports, they are paid to play well. 

Now, i do know luck is much nicer when the cameras are rolling. Still it couldn't hurt showing a little more of that especially in big games. If for no other reason but to give his critics one less thing to pick and obsess over. Regardless of the record I will always root for a win and want my team to play well. We need a great draft, hopefully a pass rusher in the first round. Then a rb and a mlb in the second and third in no particular order. Then get these players on better diets because these injuries are related. Who ever coaches the O needs to mix in more all slants  and plays without unnecssary clear outs every play. Chud runs norv turners scheme which is old and needs major tweeking. Maybe next year we can take a huge step in the right direction.

With all that said......LETS GO COLTS!!! WIN OUT!!!!

11 minutes ago, life long said:

Then get these players on better diets because these injuries are related.

Who ever coaches the O needs to mix in more all slants  and plays without unnecssary clear outs every play.

The injuries are baffling to me. I'm not going to be very happy if we find out that it's as simple as bad diet.

As far as the offense goes, I really think Pagano meddles in the playcalling. This is offensive coordinator #3 in Luck's career, and the offense has looked identical under all 3. Same issues with slow starts, nothing but deep routes and 7-step drops, a complete inability to pick up postive yardage in 3rd and short, 4th and short situations. It's the same every year, and the only constant has been the head coach. If the team's going to be built around Luck, they need to bring in an offensive-minded guy, plain and simple.

@Steamboat_Shaun Well I used to be a jimmy johns GM and worked at several stores throughout the carmel area. Many colts frequented JJs. Typically midweek evening after a practice or even in groups especially during camp. My employees who were football fans and I always loved when they came in. Not saying its the worst food or only factor in the injuries. Look up Indiana's water ranking nationwide, its troubling but obviously factor in places like east chicago before worrying too much. Diet does play a huge part in peaking to your potential physically and avoiding/recovering from injury. Dwayne allen was a big fan of JJs as were many others. Stanzo is too and he has never missed a game so as i said its not an end all theory.

We do all know that many of the greats, in any sport have had great diets. Viewing food as fuel to peak during competition.

As far as lucks OCs calling the same schemes, I would have to guess a lot of it comes from lucks wow plays. He can do it all, so they have a playbook always looking for it all. Luck needs a Jim Harbaugh type mind running the offense who is not in love with one system. The best offensive teams can beat you by adjusting their game plans to exploit the opponents weakness. They can beat teams many different ways. The colts seem to win pretty much one way currently.The team is trying to fit the identity Irsay wanted post manning. Power run game and a stout 3-4 D. So chuck has tried his best to make sure we try to look that way. Solutions however are not abundant, so it looks like changes will come after next year at the earliest. Luck is still young and can still have a great career in indianapolis, but things need to change on and off the field for that to happen, imo.... sorry for the ramble I usually just like comments lol

On 12/16/2016 at 3:55 PM, life long said:

@Steamboat_Shaun Well I used to be a jimmy johns GM and worked at several stores throughout the carmel area. Many colts frequented JJs. Typically midweek evening after a practice or even in groups especially during camp. My employees who were football fans and I always loved when they came in. Not saying its the worst food or only factor in the injuries. Look up Indiana's water ranking nationwide, its troubling but obviously factor in places like east chicago before worrying too much. Diet does play a huge part in peaking to your potential physically and avoiding/recovering from injury. Dwayne allen was a big fan of JJs as were many others. Stanzo is too and he has never missed a game so as i said its not an end all theory.

Definitely a case-to-case thing, but on the whole, diet matters. Then on the other hand, you have guys like Marvin Harrison, who used to eat nothing but McDonald's, and it didn't really seem to slow him down or make him injury-prone. 

On 12/16/2016 at 2:02 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I feel like if we had a coach that held players accountable we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I still struggle to understand why people think Pagano doesn't hold players accountable.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Maybe because when a player continues to fail in his assignment he claps his hands, gives them a pat on the back and says "good job".

really?  you can hear what he says?  That's pretty impressive. O.o

He claps his hands?  Oh lawdy lawdy how awful.  I can't believe the audacity of the man....to clap his hands...he should really know better. :Gaah:

Sorry...I don't get the butthurt about him clapping his hands on the sidelines.  Who cares?  All that matters is what he says to the players, and no one on this site can hear what Pagano says to players on the sidelines unless there's a mic right in his face...and if that's the case then he's not going to say anything disparaging to a player until the camera is gone.  And I don't get why that's a bad thing.  it certainly doesn't make him a bad coach.

On 12/16/2016 at 0:45 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

As far as the offense goes, I really think Pagano meddles in the playcalling. This is offensive coordinator #3 in Luck's career, and the offense has looked identical under all 3. Same issues with slow starts, nothing but deep routes and 7-step drops, a complete inability to pick up postive yardage in 3rd and short, 4th and short situations. It's the same every year, and the only constant has been the head coach. If the team's going to be built around Luck, they need to bring in an offensive-minded guy, plain and simple.

I don't think he meddles in the play calling, but he obviously favors the Coryell offense -- Arians, Chud and Schottenheimer are from that tree. Pep was a weird hire, but his offense was trying to be a blend of a bunch of different concepts, including the Arians stuff.