Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This may work

GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE

While I like the idea of doing the unpredictable thing, I don't think this staff or any would go against common wisdom especially while still in the hunt. Obviously us fans would rather see Morris but that won't happen barring an injury to Tolzien. I just hope doctors say it wasn't a concussion like they did for smith not long ago after he entered the protocol.

1 hour ago, life long said:

I don't think this staff or any would go against common wisdom especially while still in the hunt.

The odds were long in Week 17, but the Colts were still in the hunt. 

That was two different QBs, though, and a different QB coach, and to an extent a different playbook. Both QBs were brand new to the team and couldn't learn the offense in three days, so they broke the gameplan up, gave half to one QB, half to the other QB. 

In this case, Tolzien has been around since spring. He should know the offense and the personnel, and the staff should have a gameplan in place for him already. I wouldn't expect to see a split QB gameplan like last year.

I could see some wildcat / option stuff with Morris for a few plays, though. 

I'm not sure how good the steelers defense is, but we should be able to move the ball on them with Gore. I also believe we have enough playmakers on the outside to score. I see Chud Utilizing quick throws, screens, and designated throws to flats.

Of course, our defense has to play lights out. Let's go colts!

You guys don't know how Tolzien will play this week. Hassleback looked awful last preseason but helped us win games in the regular season.

Tolzien and Morris were both still learning the playbook and receivers in the preseason so neither played well from a passing game standpoint. Morris just used his legs.

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

You guys don't know how Tolzien will play this week. Hassleback looked awful last preseason but helped us win games in the regular season.

Tolzien and Morris were both still learning the playbook and receivers in the preseason so neither played well from a passing game standpoint. Morris just used his legs.

Plus, I remember liking how Chud ran the Hasselback offense after the Broncos game. We beat the Falcons and the Bucs I think, and I remember thinking we had a small advantage because they didn't know how we would run our offense with a backup. Of course that didn't help with the following blow outs, but hopefully a different looking game plan will throw off the Steelers.

Tampa 2 keeping things in front of them and tackling would be best if both VD and Geathers cannot go, on D.

On O, lots of motion in the backfield from speedsters TY and Dorsett for reverses to keep LBs honest, lots of Gore and enough reverses, wildcat with Gore, hitting quick crossing patterns if the LBs sell out to the run, or quick outs and slants if they crowd the middle and use 1-on-1 on the outside. If they blitz, be ready with a hot read or screen call. 

24 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Actually Morris had the highest QB rating for weeks out of all QB's in preseason. Up until that goal line pick 6 I believe. He played extremely well. Plus he throws a beautiful deep ball. I'd like to see him start and take some deep shots to Dorsett off playaction. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Actually Morris had the highest QB rating for weeks out of all QB's in preseason. Up until that goal line pick 6 I believe. He played extremely well. Plus he throws a beautiful deep ball. I'd like to see him start and take some deep shots to Dorsett off playaction. 

I agree with you.  I'd rather see Morris get the playing time over Tolzein.  But I think everyone on here should know that it'll be Tolzein until the Colts are down 28-0 late in the 3rd quarter then maybe Morris will get a shot. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

The odds were long in Week 17, but the Colts were still in the hunt. 

That was two different QBs, though, and a different QB coach, and to an extent a different playbook. Both QBs were brand new to the team and couldn't learn the offense in three days, so they broke the gameplan up, gave half to one QB, half to the other QB. 

In this case, Tolzien has been around since spring. He should know the offense and the personnel, and the staff should have a gameplan in place for him already. I wouldn't expect to see a split QB gameplan like last year.

I could see some wildcat / option stuff with Morris for a few plays, though. 

Thats what I was thinking. I think both QBs will get some snaps. Tolzien will get majority of them though.

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

they will be versus our defense

Our D has been playing a bit better recently, but if we don't get a pass rush, Big Ben will probably torch us. But their defense is not all that good either. Its too bad Luck probably won't play, this might be the most winnable game we've had against them in a while.