Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Melvin

AZColt11

You know, I can't even hate on Melvin on that last long pass.  Dude actually had pretty darned good coverage.  He had his hand in there when the WR caught it.  I watched it about 20 times and I'm not sure he could have played it any better.  The WR just made a really good catch and Osweiler probably couldn't have thrown it much better.

I think Melvin could be our #2 CB given more time out there.  We need a better system, but with some seasoning I like some of the things I'm seeing from him.

Honestly Melvin has impressed me more than any other corner on the team, except Vontae of course. I wouldn't hate him being our number 2 until Robinson is 100% healthy. Because I'm not convinced he's been healthy since the start of the season.

39 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Honestly Melvin has impressed me more than any other corner on the team, except Vontae of course. I wouldn't hate him being our number 2 until Robinson is 100% healthy. Because I'm not convinced he's been healthy since the start of the season.

Could be right on Robinson.  He had a decent year last year.  BUT many think he would be better inside covering the slot.  Perhaps we should keep Melvin outside and kick Robinson inside?  Then Butler is your 4th guy.  That would be a nice 4th option to have.  Of course with the way these guys are getting dinged up it may not matter.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Could be right on Robinson.  He had a decent year last year.  BUT many think he would be better inside covering the slot.  Perhaps we should keep Melvin outside and kick Robinson inside?  Then Butler is your 4th guy.  That would be a nice 4th option to have.

I know Robinson has been decent in previous years, although I haven't followed him closely enough to say whether he is better in the slot or on the outside. If he's a slot corner being forced into an outside role (I'm not sure if he is or not) I'm all for moving him inside and keeping Melvin on the outside to get him some more snaps to develop. Butler then becomes a good dime corner rather than just about average nickel.

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

You know, I can't even hate on Melvin on that last long pass.  Dude actually had pretty darned good coverage.  He had his hand in there when the WR caught it.  I watched it about 20 times and I'm not sure he could have played it any better.  The WR just made a really good catch and Osweiler probably couldn't have thrown it much better.

I think Melvin could be our #2 CB given more time out there.  We need a better system, but with some seasoning I like some of the things I'm seeing from him.

Melvin isn't half bad.  I don't know if I'm there yet with him being the full time outside cornerback, but I do think he's showed some things.  So far more than Robinson in fact.  He was known as Melvin Island coming out of college.  NFL wise I don't think he's an island of course but he does have some ability.

5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I concur

6 minutes ago, Nostrils said:

Of course not, can't please the high and mighty around here... 

Ok? I didn't think he was outstanding, forgive me if that's a sin. I was asking if anyone had any plays that he defended well because I couldn't remember any off the top of my head. Was just asking. Since you know everything about Rahsaan Melvin, provide some plays that he's been outstanding on? The only one I know of is that he forced a fumble this year.

20 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Ok? I didn't think he was outstanding, forgive me if that's a sin. I was asking if anyone had any plays that he defended well because I couldn't remember any off the top of my head. Was just asking. Since you know everything about Rahsaan Melvin, provide some plays that he's been outstanding on? The only one I know of is that he forced a fumble this year.

Didnt think he was any good is what you said... if you would have said outstanding I'd def agree.  It just seems like everyone thinks our players are supposed to make EVERY play, all the time, so I just don't get the scale on which a lot of these guys are being graded on from the fan perspective.

I don't know of many plays specifically, but i don't see him getting picked on all the the time or hear his name very often for being beat.. and it's hard as hell to be an outstanding CB in the league, especially in today's league.. so as a young UDFA player, and I like that he seems to be a pretty solid tackler, I think he's exceeded expectations so far.   Definitely like him over Morris.

i think I'm just irritated too.. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Melvin isn't half bad.  I don't know if I'm there yet with him being the full time outside cornerback, but I do think he's showed some things.  So far more than Robinson in fact.  He was known as Melvin Island coming out of college.  NFL wise I don't think he's an island of course but he does have some ability.

I am not advocating for Melvin to start at the outside or not but in your own admission, he has done more than Robinson and we keep him outside, why not put him out there to see, what will we loose out doing it? Our corners are giving up  yards and td's anyway. 

Now, people are giving this kid praise and seeing what positives he has brought so far, next week we will probably cut him and bring in another unknown safety to play the outside because he has "fantastic skill sets". I don't trust this coaching staff right now to spot true talent and even if it does, can the pull the talent out? I don't feel they can. Monachino has been a disappointment so far, he looks no better, in fact worse, than our previous D.C. and I didn't think it possible.  

2 minutes ago, Nostrils said:

Didnt think he was any good is what you said... if you would have said outstanding I'd def agree.  It just seems like everyone thinks our players are supposed to make EVERY play, all the time, so I just don't get the scale on which a lot of these guys are being graded on from the fan perspective.

I don't know of many plays specifically, but i don't see him getting picked on all the the time or hear his name very often for being beat.. and it's hard as hell to be an outstanding CB in the league, especially in today's league.. so as a young UDFA player, and I like that he seems to be a pretty solid tackler, I think he's exceeded expectations so far.   Definitely like him over 

Maybe I should change my comment to... I don't think Melvin is any good but I don't think he is bad either. We haven't seen enough of him to even talk much about him I guess. If he starts a few games in a row and stays out there, I think that will merit some grading on his play. But for now, I just think he's a filler type guy because Robinson can't seem to play an entire game without getting injured. I just view him as depth but that's my opinion. However if Robinson can't make it back, then he will probably get beat out by somebody, who knows.

13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Maybe I should change my comment to... I don't think Melvin is any good but I don't think he is bad either. We haven't seen enough of him to even talk much about him I guess. If he starts a few games in a row and stays out there, I think that will merit some grading on his play. But for now, I just think he's a filler type guy because Robinson can't seem to play an entire game without getting injured. I just view him as depth but that's my opinion. However if Robinson can't make it back, then he will probably get beat out by somebody, who knows.

lol there's a fine line between good and bad... I definitely understand.

But that's a good thing right? (Not hearing or even seeing too much of his name, as of yet..) He's obviously playing extended time and we haven't heard much or seen much, and that's good, as opposed to being picked on and being beat up on.  I did LOVE the play he defended going towards the corner of the end zone (I think in the first half).. I want to see more of Robinson, and I'm not too hyped on Melvin so I hope it doesn't come off like I'm his #1 fan or anything, but I do like the way he plays and handles himself.. especially for his specific circumstance...and like that he seems to have confidence and will go tackle.

19 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He caused the fumble late in the game vs Chicago.

Yep, I remembered that one. I wrote it in my second comment. If he continues to play the ball and defend passes, I'm cool with him over Robinson. Because right now, I don't have much faith in his longevity. lol

5 hours ago, Nostrils said:

lol there's a fine line between good and bad... I definitely understand.

But that's a good thing right? (Not hearing or even seeing too much of his name, as of yet..) He's obviously playing extended time and we haven't heard much or seen much, and that's good, as opposed to being picked on and being beat up on.  I did LOVE the play he defended going towards the corner of the end zone (I think in the first half).. I want to see more of Robinson, and I'm not too hyped on Melvin so I hope it doesn't come off like I'm his #1 fan or anything, but I do like the way he plays and handles himself.. especially for his specific circumstance...and like that he seems to have confidence and will go tackle.

He's no shutdown corner by any means, but he has a knack for making plays. That alone should earn him a starting job on a defense that desperately lacks playmaking ability outside of Davis.

11 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I saw the same thing he can't tackle but covers well.  He should keep starting over Robinson unless pat rob shows something 

7 hours ago, MTC said:

I thought Vontae, Butler, and Melvin are played well. Hopkins is a top 5 receiver in the NFL, so it was a hard assignment for Davis, but I think he did just fine. 

It's too bad the Colts lost.  Had they won, Vontae would be getting much praise for basically shutting down Hopkins (yes, I know he and Ostwiller are having a rough time, but still).  A healthy Vontae is a top 5-6 db IMO and very underrated.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Glad you are finally  coming to see the light on Robinson.....