Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So is it crazy to say the Vikings have a good chance this year?

bap1331

How far will the Vikings go?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How far will the Vikings go?

• Miss playoffs
    • Wild Card
    • Divisional
    • NFC Championship
    • Super Bowl

I am wowed by how they have performed with all the injuries. Why do they look better with Sam Bradford? What was Sam missing in the Rams? They had a pretty good solid defense. Or have the Vikings just been lucky? Sorry but I havent watched any teams this year but the Colts.

I don't think luck has anything to do with it. That is a very talented squad with a very good head coach. I could easily see them beating out Green Bay again for the division and making noise in the postseason. 

Vikings vs Eagles would be a good story that Bradford would be seeking revenge vs his former team.

Vikings vs Seahawks would be a good story too because the Vikings as a team would be seeking revenge against the Seahawks for last year's missed Blair Walsh FG loss.

Vikings will be hard to beat with home field advantage. I can see a Steelers/Broncos/Patriots AFCCG and a Vikings/Eagles/Seahawks NFCCG (depends on who is #1 seed in both conferences).

Is everybody picking the NFCCG because they think they'll get there and have something screwy happen? That is kinda how it usually goes when they do anything but overachieve or flat out stink.

I haven't seen them play yet but I can't wait to. Betting on the Vikings will just always be scary to me. They're freaking good right now though.

I have the Vikings vs Seahawks in the NFC Championship with the Seahawks winning. The Seahawks are the one team that can and probably will beat the Vikings in the playoffs. Russell Wilson can give the Vikings D fits, and the Seahawks D will probably shutout the Vikes for the most part. Jimmy Graham is back in form as well, he'll be used more as a pass-catching weapon than a blocker now. Just my guess and opinion.

14 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I am wowed by how they have performed with all the injuries. Why do they look better with Sam Bradford? What was Sam missing in the Rams? They had a pretty good solid defense. Or have the Vikings just been lucky? Sorry but I havent watched any teams this year but the Colts.

Honestly Sam Bradford played well down the stretch last year. Let's be real...he has just had so many injuries that he hasn't been able to live up to the hype and also he had some really bad teams there in St Louis that went from the greatest show on turf to a team void of any offensive weapons at all. That might not be so bad if they had a decent defense but they never even had that during his tenure. Bradford has the ability to drive the ball down the field in a way Teddy really isn't comfortable/capable of. I'm not trying to bash on Teddy because he is a great guy and a good leader but I've always thought his upside was basically Alex Smith (good Alex). Sam is playing with a lot of the same coaches that drafted and coached him in Stl  so they are aware of his capabilities. I'm not saying he is an all-pro qb but he is very much capable of leading a winning team.

That all said this team's defense is legit....the offense I do think will struggle if they keep suffering more injuries. They already lost Kalil and Peterson...their WRs haven't really stepped up the way I think they need to. Rudolph is really their only redzone threat. They will struggle to score tds imo...but they will win a ton of games with fgs. It's a team that is finally learning how to win...that finally EXPECTS to win and they have now become a dangerous team. The way they beat down the Panthers I could see this team taking that next step in the playoffs. If it wasn't for bad luck this team wouldn't have any luck so they definitely have earned their success. I don't know if I think they can win it all (although the Broncos showed defense can carry you a long way) I'm pretty sure teams will have to go through Minnesota to get where they want to be. They have a good team there. I'm happy for them and hope they stay healthy the rest of the year. Fun team to watch!

Hard to believe, but Minnesota is a very good team.  But (now the hard to believe part) they have to get a running game going or they won't make it far in the playoffs.  I knew Bradford had talent, and would progress with the talent Vikings have, and under Norv Turner who is an exceptional Offensive Coordinator.  But Sam will need ground support at some pint, so they need to get it addressed now.  If they do and are balance offensively, then that D will take very far.  Maybe all the way.  Right now, I only see NFC champ game.

C'mon Minny, get a decent running attack assembled, even though you're without having AP.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:09 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Is everybody picking the NFCCG because they think they'll get there and have something screwy happen? That is kinda how it usually goes when they do anything but overachieve or flat out stink.

I haven't seen them play yet but I can't wait to. Betting on the Vikings will just always be scary to me. They're freaking good right now though.

They need some semblance of a running game.  AP is gone but they have to come up with alternatives.  Get that and they could go all the way.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A huge determining factor in the Vikings going far is 1. Bradford staying healthy, can he? Who knows. 2. Can they beat out the Packers to win the Division? If they don't win the Division then that puts them at a #5 or #6 seed with no home Playoff games.

Yes, the Vikes will win the division. We beat out the Packers last year when no one but Vikings fans thought they could. Many don't remember that the Vikes won the division last year.

We gave them their only loss so far this year. They should have also lost to the Jags -- the NFL admitted that 16 calls went in favor of GB that should not have. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl-week-1-jaguars-packers-missed-calls-referees/amp

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, the Vikes will win the division. We beat out the Packers last year when no one but Vikings fans thought they could. Many don't remember that the Vikes won the division last year.

We gave them their only loss so far this year. They should have also lost to the Jags -- the NFL admitted that 16 calls went in favor of GB that should not have. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl-week-1-jaguars-packers-missed-calls-referees/amp

Eventhough I picked the Packers to win the SB, as just a fan I would prefer the Vikings to win that Division. I am not a Packers fan, it was just my pick. The Vikings are making more of a believer out of me as the weeks go on so we will see. They still have to play at GB and that will be interesting.

On 10/4/2016 at 2:25 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I certainly think they will make the playoffs and I can certainly see them winning the division.

I don't see them in SB.  

Eventually Bradford will regress to the mean and start making mistakes.  

I am curious as to why you would believe a talented QB finally making strides, many thought he should have made in prior years, regress?  Sure he will likely have a turnover at some point(s), but won't derail his improvement as he learns Turners playbook.  If he gets injured (his weakness) then yes.  I get that. Injuries have plagued his career thus far. Otherwise he should continue to improve with solid team and top shelf OC around him.  People forget he was a #1 overall pick, and for good reason.

I make no bones about respecting the the scouting analysis  (or anything out of his mouth, really) of Gil Brandt.  Here's something Gil wrote about Sam Bradford's (Oklahoma's) Pro day, where all 32 teams were represented-

Gil Brandt notes:

"Sam Bradford’s workout Monday in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.

Bradford threw 63 passes (13 during a stationary period and 50 scripted throws) during the workout and, in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree. The scripted workout included three-, five- and seven-step drops, shotgun, and play-action plays, plus sprints and rollouts to both sides.

It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of Bradford’s performance. In fact, he put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California."

Having read this, I am wondering why the guy isn't a top 5 QB already?  (Yes, injury bug a major factor, yet still...)  I'm convinced the environment a QB gets placed into is as much a factor in the play  and development as natural talent.  It makes you wonder if, say, Tim Couch wasn't drafted by the Browns, or David Carr was not drafted by the expansion team Texans, how their careers would have played out?

Vikings have him for two years, and Teddy should be ready sometime next year.  But Sam will have earned a starting job and huge paycheck with another club by then.

18 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Chicago Manual Style says starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunction is o.k.

I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't pass the shakedownstreet smell test. I'd nearly go so far as to say it sounds condescending. At best it sounds like a thirteen year old girl

I am just shocked that Sam Bradford hasn't gotten injured yet. He has played remarkably well. Plus, he can move the ball vertically downfield much better than Bridgewater could ever dream of. 

If Sam takes the Vikings to say the Divisional round of the Playoffs this yr, there will be a QB controversy in Minnesota next season. Trust me. 

On 10/6/2016 at 8:21 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I am curious as to why you would believe a talented QB finally making strides, many thought he should have made in prior years, regress?  Sure he will likely have a turnover at some point(s), but won't derail his improvement as he learns Turners playbook.  If he gets injured (his weakness) then yes.  I get that. Injuries have plagued his career thus far. Otherwise he should continue to improve with solid team and top shelf OC around him.  People forget he was a #1 overall pick, and for good reason.

I make no bones about respecting the the scouting analysis  (or anything out of his mouth, really) of Gil Brandt.  Here's something Gil wrote about Sam Bradford's (Oklahoma's) Pro day, where all 32 teams were represented-

Gil Brandt notes:

"Sam Bradford’s workout Monday in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.

Bradford threw 63 passes (13 during a stationary period and 50 scripted throws) during the workout and, in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree. The scripted workout included three-, five- and seven-step drops, shotgun, and play-action plays, plus sprints and rollouts to both sides.

It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of Bradford’s performance. In fact, he put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California."

Having read this, I am wondering why the guy isn't a top 5 QB already?  (Yes, injury bug a major factor, yet still...)  I'm convinced the environment a QB gets placed into is as much a factor in the play  and development as natural talent.  It makes you wonder if, say, Tim Couch wasn't drafted by the Browns, or David Carr was not drafted by the expansion team Texans, how their careers would have played out?

Vikings have him for two years, and Teddy should be ready sometime next year.  But Sam will have earned a starting job and huge paycheck with another club by then.

First of all people love to hype up top picks like that.

Secondly there isn't a lot you can tell from a pro-day.  Honestly I think they are more or less just about watching mechanics.  

He's not a top 5 QB because he's simply not that good.  Even when he was healthy he was still just a low level starter.  

Also the Vikings have played the Titans, Panthers, Packers and Giants.

None of those defenses are really that good.  The Panthers are not anything close to the same without Josh Norman.  No top defense in the league would let any WR, even one as talented as Julio Jones put up 300 yards on them by his lonesome.  Nor would they let any offense in the league drop 40 points on them like the Falcons did.

QB's sometimes have a stretch of great play that is beyond what they normally do as an average.  If you are lucky like Flacco, it comes at the best time (the playoffs).  Bradford's is coming right now.  

But I think he's going to regress back to his average eventually and that will cost the Vikings some games.  And eventually in the playoffs, going up against the best teams in the league, they will fall.  

I'd like to be wrong on this one.  Vikings could use a championship, I don't think they've ever won a SB.  But I just don't see Bradford winning a SB.