Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

25% of the way through the season, the Colts are on pace to give up the 4th highest amount of points in league history.

Dustin

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're blaming this mess on Monachino?

Of course he takes blame. How do you allow a QB to roll out on the right and complete passes over and over and over again? Bortles couldn't complete a thing in the pocket. 

How do you also allow Robinson to change the game for a whole half before putting Vontae on him? Oh yes, he's to blame.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Well the homers will blame a lot on the injuries.

Remember how this board was so pumped up and happy about bringing in Monachino?

With the dumpster fire we have on defense, NO ONE can make it a solid unit. Blaming Monachino isn't exactly the answer. I'd rather blame the guys who didn't give him a Defense to work with. 

I'm not surprised at all. This is one of the worst rosters in the league. We have 1 great defensive player in Davis and two good players in Anderson and Adams. The rest are below average. This is what happens when you pass on Xavier Rhodes for Werner and trade a 1st for Richardson. Grigson deserves most of the blame. 

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

No pass rush. Injuries in the secondary. Expected. Grigson may deserve to go for thinking that pass rush didn't need to be addressed.

You think Grigson thought the pass rush didn't need to be addressed?

Of course he did....

You're just not going to be able to fix all problems in one off-season.      And this last draft was one of the worst for pass rush in a while....

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

We haven't even faced the better offenses yet.  You know who we have to look forward to in the remaining games?  Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Oakland

Big Ben's gonna destroy us. Oh my... I shudder even thinking about it.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course he did....

You're just not going to be able to fix all problems in one off-season.      And this last draft was one of the worst for pass rush in a while....

The point isn't fix it all in one offseason.  The point is he's been at the helm for 5 years and the team still has significant problems.  In fact, you could make a case that this team has regressed since last year.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

We haven't even faced the better offenses yet.  You know who we have to look forward to in the remaining games?  Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Oakland

Never thought I'd see Oakland up there, but here we are. Kudos to Jack Del Rio for building a winning football program.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course he did....

If they were hired this off-season I'd agree. But no, they've had plenty of time to address pass rush, linebackers, DBs, RB, OL, TE, .... Practically we need upgrades on EVERY single position with the exception of QB, Vontae's corner, Anderson, left side of O-line + Kelly and the two WRs. Everything else needs upgrading. EVERYTHING.

By my estimation, this team has 6 starter-level offensive players and two starter level defensive players.

10 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I'm not surprised at all. This is one of the worst rosters in the league. We have 1 great defensive player in Davis and two good players in Anderson and Adams. The rest are below average. This is what happens when you pass on Xavier Rhodes for Werner and trade a 1st for Richardson. Grigson deserves most of the blame. 

Agreed, and not to hate on Germany, but from now on, I don't want us taking foreign players with a 1st pick, and no, I'm not counting Luck as foreign, contrary to him and his father living in Europe for a while.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

Never thought I'd see Oakland up there, but here we are. Kudos to Jack Del Rio for building a winning football program.

Reggie McKenzie was a candidate for the Colts GM job in 2012.  The Colts went with Grigson and the Raiders went with McKenzie.  Interesting to see where both teams are now, given where they started.  Grigson essentially had a blank slate right away whereas McKenzie had to go through salary cap Hell to make his team competitive again

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The point isn't fix it all in one offseason.  The point is he's been at the helm for 5 years and the team still has significant problems.  In fact, you could make a case that this team has regressed since last year.

I've been making that case since the end of last year.

I publicly said I was in favor of Grigson losing his job....     especially if Pagano got fired.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

If they were hired this off-season I'd agree. But no, they've had plenty of time to address pass rush, linebackers, DBs, RB, OL, TE, .... Practically we need upgrades on EVERY single position with the exception of QB, Vontae's corner, left side of O-line + Kelly and the two WRs. Everything else needs upgrading. EVERYTHING.

I know.....    this is what happens when you get almost zero from two drafts...    all we have is Mewhort and Moncrief....      that's basically it for 2013 and 2014.

Plus,  we haven't gotten enough out of free agency.

I've been saying for months here that our roster building is several years behind schedule because of our mistakes.

Now,  we're really paying the price......

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Reggie McKenzie was a candidate for the Colts GM job in 2012.  The Colts went with Grigson and the Raiders went with McKenzie.  Interesting to see where both teams are now, given where they started.  Grigson essentially had a blank slate right away whereas McKenzie had to go through salary cap Hell to make his team competitive again

Why would you bring this up its heart breaking 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know.....    this is what happens when you get almost zero from two drafts...    all we have is Mewhort and Moncrief....      that's basically it for 2013 and 2014.

Plus,  we haven't gotten enough out of free agency.

I've been saying for months here that our roster building is several years behind schedule because of our mistakes.

Now,  we're really paying the price......

The question is  - do you trust Grigson to start building this team up now? And if you do, what do you base your trust on?

The second question - do you trust Pagano to coach up our future draft picks and prepare them for winning a championship?

p.s. that's more general questions addressed to the fans, not aimed at you specifically.

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Agreed, and not to hate on Germany, but from now on, I don't want us taking foreign players with a 1st pick, and no, I'm not counting Luck as foreign, contrary to him and his father living in Europe for a while.

Every analyst during the draft thought we were drafting Rhodes because we were in dire need of a CB and he was a sure thing. Only Grigson can mess that up. I'll never forget that. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course he did....

I'm sorry but I would have rather taken Noah Spence or Yannick in this draft than LeRaven Clark in the second. They would have been better than anyone we have now.

You can't fix anything but you need to fix something in the offseason. You can't just draft four young linemen and give them Philbin and act like this would be a top flight O line. Past free agency failures that made us stay away from free agency this year hurt us badly.

9 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Interesting, I wonder if he would have signed Del Rio then. I could see the roles being swapped.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

The question is  - do you trust Grigson to start building this team up now? And if you do, what do you base your trust on?

The second question - do you trust Pagano to coach up our future draft picks and prepare them for winning a championship?

p.s. that's more general questions addressed to the fans, not aimed at you specifically.

I said this in another post already this morning,  but I'll say it again....

I called for Grigson to be fired last January when the season ended.

Too many misses in both the draft and free agency.      The one thing he does great is contracts.    If he ever gets fired our next GM will not be strapped by bad contracts.

Pagano is a good, but not great head coach.     But finding a very good HC is one of the hardest things to do in professional sports.      Thinking that you'll automatically get a better HC if you fire Pagano is more hunch then anything else.      Odds are you won't get a better coach unless you hire a proven guy, which (A) costs a lot of money and (B) that person may want more control of the team than Irsay is willing to give up....

This is more complicated than it might seem....

6 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I'm sorry but I would have rather taken Noah Spence or Yannick in this draft than LeRaven Clark in the second. They would have been better than anyone we have now.

You can't fix anything but you need to fix something in the offseason. You can't just draft four young linemen and give them Philbin and act like this would be a top flight O line. Past free agency failures that made us stay away from free agency this year hurt us badly.

Well....   several issues here....

Clark was drafted in the 3rd.....    Spence went 39th overall....   so we had no chance to get him.

But Yannick is another story.....    we could've taken him in the 2nd or maybe the 3rd? (Not sure where he was drafted in the 3rd?)    I'm just not sure he was viewed as a scheme fit......   he's playing 4-3 RDE.....       I don't know if he can play OLB in a 3-4??

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I said this in another post already this morning,  but I'll say it again....

I called for Grigson to be fired last January when the season ended.

Too many misses in both the draft and free agency.      The one thing he does great is contracts.    If he ever gets fired our next GM will not be strapped by bad contracts.

Pagano is a good, but not great head coach.     But finding a very good HC is one of the hardest things to do in professional sports.      Thinking that you'll automatically get a better HC if you fire Pagano is more hunch then anything else.      Odds are you won't get a better coach unless you hire a proven guy, which (A) costs a lot of money and (B) that person may want more control of the team than Irsay is willing to give up....

This is more complicated than it might seem....

I don't agree that Pagano is a good coach. He might be a good DBs coach but he's not a good head coach. Nothing he's done leads me to believe he is a good coach. This team looks horribly coach even when you factor in the general lack of talent and what's worse is - IT'S GETTING WORSE every year. This is not a mark of a well coached team.

But I agree that finding the right coach might not be as trivial as it seems. I wouldn't get rid off Pagano just to get rid off him. If they are going to be firing him, I hope they have a substitute ready. A substitute they think is the one to lead this team to contention.

My dream scenario is - let Pagano kill this team's record and improve our draft position until the end of the year and somehow get Harbaugh in the off-season. I don't know how realistic that is.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   several issues here....

Clark was drafted in the 3rd.....    Spence went 39th overall....   so we had no chance to get him.

But Yannick is another story.....    we could've taken him in the 2nd or maybe the 3rd? (Not sure where he was drafted in the 3rd?)    I'm just not sure he was viewed as a scheme fit......   he's playing 4-3 RDE.....       I don't know if he can play OLB in a 3-4??

Well all I know is pass rush better be the number one priority next year. Mathis and Cole have got to go and we have to bring in talent or this defense will never get better.

6 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Well all I know is pass rush better be the number one priority next year. Mathis and Cole have got to go and we have to bring in talent or this defense will never get better.

If we don't take pass rush in the first round,  the great Colts Nation will go fantastically nuts!!

It will make any other 1st round questionable decision seem mild by comparison.....

We're going pass rush.....   and I'd call for someone's head if we didn't.....

54 minutes ago, myic90 said:

Of course he takes blame. How do you allow a QB to roll out on the right and complete passes over and over and over again? Bortles couldn't complete a thing in the pocket. 

How do you also allow Robinson to change the game for a whole half before putting Vontae on him? Oh yes, he's to blame.

Did you happen to see what happened to Alan Hurns when Vonte wasn't on him?

44 yard TD.

I'm sorry Vonte can't cover two WR's at once......