Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

25% of the way through the season, the Colts are on pace to give up the 4th highest amount of points in league history.

Dustin

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't agree that Pagano is a good coach. He might be a good DBs coach but he's not a good head coach. Nothing he's done leads me to believe he is a good coach. This team looks horribly coach even when you factor in the general lack of talent and what's worse is - IT'S GETTING WORSE every year. This is not a mark of a well coached team.

But I agree that finding the right coach might not be as trivial as it seems. I wouldn't get rid off Pagano just to get rid off him. If they are going to be firing him, I hope they have a substitute ready. A substitute they think is the one to lead this team to contention.

My dream scenario is - let Pagano kill this team's record and improve our draft position until the end of the year and somehow get Harbaugh in the off-season. I don't know how realistic that is.

I would put chances at slim to none for us getting Harbaugh. He has said several times he doesn't want to come back to the NFL anytime soon. 

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm sure not giving him props. 

But he's like every other DC & OC we bring in. New names, New faces, same playbook with same disappointing results.

You can bring in the top chef in the world, but if all you give him to cook is crap, then guess what? It's going to be crap. I think this falls on the guys that our gm does (or more importantly doesn't) bring in. 

The thought police here will somehow make this a valiant effort from a team on the rise catching it's stride.

This team is terribly coached, undisciplined and just flat out bad.

I'm hearing the 'lowered expectations' theme in my head from that old MadTv show years ago.

48 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Every analyst during the draft thought we were drafting Rhodes because we were in dire need of a CB and he was a sure thing. Only Grigson can mess that up. I'll never forget that. 

LOL every analyst! Talking heads! Can't watch pregame or NFL talk shows anymore. Pure speculation and their know it all mentality! Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

You can bring in the top chef in the world, but if all you give him to cook is crap, then guess what? It's going to be crap. I think this falls on the guys that our gm does (or more importantly doesn't) bring in. 

I'm certainly NOT GIVING Griggs any props either.

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

we play the Bears next

If they lose THAT game, then yeah. It's done. 

Right now I have about 2% of hope left in the season. Hopefully Luck doesn't get mauled too badly and hurts something else, because then our future really is screwed.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

If they lose THAT game, then yeah. It's done. 

Right now I have about 2% of hope left in the season. Hopefully Luck doesn't get mauled too badly and hurts something else, because then our future really is screwed.

I think we'll win next week..but the Bears will win today..and they get Jay back

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm sure not giving him props. 

But he's like every other DC & OC we bring in. New names, New faces, same playbook with same disappointing results.

There isn't much talent on that side of the ball.....

That's why the results are so disappointing....

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

On pace for exactly 500 points allowed (at the continued pace of 31.25 per game). 

You have hit the real problem on the nose Dustin.  Sure, Luck made a bad play that cost us a chance to win the game today, but let's be real, the defense game after game is just miserable.  When they can't hold a lead for less than 1 minute against Detroit and they automatically give up over 31 points per game, it's just not viable to expect the offense, with all it's problems on the o-line, to have a prayer.  The fact we easily could be 4-0 is a testament to Luck and a handful of players who kept us in each game.  Sure, I think :Luck screwed up on that 4th down play and should have run for a first down, but damn, why should he even NEED to do so? It's a combination of several things, but one thing is 100% clear, the coaching, game plan and in game adjustments on Defense is just not good enough.  Maybe it's Pagano, maybe the coaches below him, but something needs to change because no QB is going to win anything with this Defense! 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did you happen to see what happened to Alan Hurns when Vonte wasn't on him?

44 yard TD.

I'm sorry Vonte can't cover two WR's at once......

That was bad execution not bad game planning. CB takes a horrible angle, but 8 out of 10 times Hurns should be tackled on the spot. Robinson was burning cromartie all over the field. For a whole half. How do you not make that adjustment earlier? 2nd half Robinson was shut down.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Reggie McKenzie was a candidate for the Colts GM job in 2012.  The Colts went with Grigson and the Raiders went with McKenzie.  Interesting to see where both teams are now, given where they started.  Grigson essentially had a blank slate right away whereas McKenzie had to go through salary cap Hell to make his team competitive again

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why would you bring this up its heart breaking 

Don't worry, it's not accurate.

McKenzie was going to Oakland, bottom line. I don't think he even interviewed anywhere else. And I'm pretty sure he got hired before the Colts hired Grigson. So he wasn't really available to the Colts.

Also, the 2012 Colts were the definition of salary cap hell, so I don't understand anyone saying the Colts had a better cap situation than the Raiders over the last five years. The Raiders have gobs of cap space, and have for the last three years.

Also, the Raiders have had pretty ugly drafts and offseasons with McKenzie. Anybody remember DJ Hayden? And let's not talk about w/l record. The way people around here cried through 11-5 seasons, I'm pretty sure there would have been riots if the Colts had a record like the Raiders. McKenzie has done a better job the last couple seasons, but he also picks in the top ten every year.

This is not a defense of the Colts. It's a rebuttal to the idea that the Raiders made great decisions choosing their front office.

And I didn't even bring up Dennis Allen...

4 hours ago, IinD said:

The thought police here will somehow make this a valiant effort from a team on the rise catching it's stride.

This team is terribly coached, undisciplined and just flat out bad.

I'm hearing the 'lowered expectations' theme in my head from that old MadTv show years ago.

I think expectations were too high to begin with, but I agree that the coaching is bad right now. Some common sense stuff that isn't being done, or can't be executed properly, and it's hurting the team. Could legitimately be 4-0 right now.

1 hour ago, dudeski said:

manusky was a much better dc

getting rid of manusky was a mistake.  a fall guy for pagano so pagano could keep his job.  

I never called for Manusky to be fired as I did with Pep...

And I'm not interested in blaming Monachino either.....

I think almost all our problems are personnel and health related....

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I never called for Manusky to be fired as I did with Pep...

And I'm not interested in blaming Monachino either.....

I think almost all our problems are personnel and health related....

Is our d personnel worse this year

10 minutes ago, dudeski said:

Is our d personnel worse this year

Well, today is week 4,  and today is the first game where we had our starting line-up out on the field.

And, as I've noted for two years now,  we don't have enough playmakers on that side of the ball.

No pass rush....    no one intercepting passes....    few fumbles forced....    and we don't stop the run.  

I noted before the season started that we have six starting defensive players 30 years of age or older....   that's not a good recipe for a good defense.

That's why I've been saying our problems are mostly personnel related......

By the way.....   4 weeks in,  and we've gotten almost nothing from Mathis....   the one guy we hoped would pressure the QB.       He's barely gotten near any of the QB's we've faced.......

One of the most aggravating things is the lack of fundamentals in this defense. Tackling is just awful. Can't seem to get into the right call on D. No pass rush moves at all. No matter who it is, its bull rush or nothing. Terrible penalties that are killing any kind of good plays we make. Missed assignments so that WR are wide open and missed tackles and missed tackles and missed tackles.  All this doesn't take into account that we fundamentally lack talent on every level of our D. Giving up 500 may be a minimum if we keep this up.  There is enough bad to fill the blame card for everyone

20 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Reggie McKenzie was a candidate for the Colts GM job in 2012.  The Colts went with Grigson and the Raiders went with McKenzie.  Interesting to see where both teams are now, given where they started.  Grigson essentially had a blank slate right away whereas McKenzie had to go through salary cap Hell to make his team competitive again

McKenzie also had several years of high round draft picks...like 5 in a row.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

He still hit on those draft picks whereas Grigson has missed on multiple first round picks.

McKenzie high.  Grigs Low. In order for Grigson to equal McKenzie's success, his teams would have to go about 4 and 12 for three years.  That was my point.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

He still hit on those draft picks whereas Grigson has missed on multiple first round picks.

Grigson missed one first rounder, and traded another.

McKenzie's first 1st rounder was DJ Hayden at #12, which was an awful pick. Since then, he's picked at #5, #4 and #14. Colts fans would be livid if the Colts were picking at #5 and #4; the board was melting down because we picked at #18 last year.

17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I have Big Ben and you can take it to the bank I'll be starting him against us.

As you should. The Chiefs have a pretty good defense and secondary, and the Steelers shredded them from jump. I can't see that game going well for the Colts defense...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

As you should. The Chiefs have a pretty good defense and secondary, and the Steelers shredded them from jump. I can't see that game going well for the Colts defense...

We didn't do well against Big Ben even during the Peyton years when we had a prime Mathis and Freeney. He just has our number for whatever reason.

On 10/2/2016 at 3:28 PM, oldunclemark said:

I think we'll win next week..but the Bears will win today..and they get Jay back

Thought I read somewhere that Hoyer may start the rest of the year for the bears. They aren't very happy with Jay up there.

Truth is though, if Cutler or Hoyer beat us, we ain't making the playoffs and the hot seat will be fuming hot for Grigson and Pagano. That would be an even worse loss than this Jags game was.

Not making excuses, but the defense has been a revolving door this season, and even this season compared to last season.  A new rookie safety and a second year safety just returning from injury.  A new #2 CB who is just coming off an injury, and Cromartie who was signed just before the season began.  Freeman's gone, replaced by Moore who has never really played with the Colts, and the best interior lineman is coming off injury and just starting to play.  Not to mention a new DC and assistant coaches having to manage the revolving door.

All combined with the lingering problem of no legitimate pass rusher on the roster.

Give it a few more weeks.  If substantial improvement isn't evident by week 8, then criticism becomes warranted, IMO.