Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Working out a RB! I think we need to work on defense!

GusBus24

DBs actually played decently, all things considered. It was the LBs who didn't cover a thing all day. RBs and TEs accounted for nearly 170 yards receiving, whereas WRs only had about 175 yards. 

As much as we'd like to use the DBs as scapegoats, due to all the injuries, the LBs and D-line were far worse yesterday.

5 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

DBs actually played decently, all things considered. It was the LBs who didn't cover a thing all day. RBs and TEs accounted for nearly 170 yards receiving, whereas WRs only had about 175 yards. 

As much as we'd like to use the DBs as scapegoats, due to all the injuries, the LBs and D-line were far worse yesterday.

Agreed, yet, the already banged up secondary lost three more players yesterday. Not sure how long they'll be out, but I'm pretty sure they need bodies. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed, yet, the already banged up secondary lost three more players yesterday. Not sure how long they'll be out, but I'm pretty sure they need bodies. 

Any chance they call Djoun Smith back?  Probably not feasible timeframe wise.

I'm sure he's healthy at this point.  Things are extreme right now.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's true, and I'm sure Grigs and co. are more than well aware of that fact. My comment was more pointed at people who want to blame our DBs for the defensive failures yesterday.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Any chance they call Djoun Smith back?  Probably not feasible timeframe wise.

I'm sure he's healthy at this point.  Things are extreme right now.

Can't. I believe they've already passed the time period in which they could reach an injury settlement (I believe it's five days), so now he's just stuck on IR. He can come back after Week 8, I suppose. Doesn't sound like that's in the cards, though.

Once he's healthy and can clear a physical, I think he'll be waived from IR, and we'll never see him in a Colts uniform again.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Can't. I believe they've already passed the time period in which they could reach an injury settlement (I believe it's five days), so now he's just stuck on IR. He can come back after Week 8, I suppose. Doesn't sound like that's in the cards, though.

Once he's healthy and can clear a physical, I think he'll be waived from IR, and we'll never see him in a Colts uniform again.

I know they reached a settlement with Mitchel.  His durability seems real so so though.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

That might be the case we might move on from Smith. However, in a interview about a week and a half ago Pagano said we haven't seen the last of Smith. He also said that Morris did enough to justify a roster spot, and they waived him two or three days later. So I guess it is all up in the air, but I wouldn't be surprised if we retain Smith going into the next offseason.

48 minutes ago, FL Colts Fan said:

Wegher has a great story. He has run well everywhere he has played. Had some academic and trouble with the law. Seems cleaned up and determined to make it in the NFL. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/13646/panthers-rb-brandon-wegher-has-a-great-story

I have to admit being an Iowa fan I do have some issues with him.  He left the team in the middle of camp.

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Unless this kid is a cancer in the clubhouse,  or amazingly untalented,  I really, really hope your last sentence isn't true.        Even after this year,  we've got him controlled for two more years on his rookie contract.     I'm not sure he's ever been healthy enough to know how good Smith is or isn't.

I'd hate to see us cut him only to surface on another roster and turn into a decent player.

54 minutes ago, FL Colts Fan said:

Wegher has a great story. He has run well everywhere he has played. Had some academic and trouble with the law. Seems cleaned up and determined to make it in the NFL. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/13646/panthers-rb-brandon-wegher-has-a-great-story

I've seen him on NFL Network "Undrafted" series.  Tough runner with some agility. Not sure where he fits on this team.  We have 4 running backs, and his style is kind of similar to Robert Turbin in some ways.

43 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

That might be the case we might move on from Smith. However, in a interview about a week and a half ago Pagano said we haven't seen the last of Smith.

i wouldnt read too much into that.  i think pagano would say something to that effect about any player if he was asked

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unless this kid is a cancer in the clubhouse,  or amazingly untalented,  I really, really hope your last sentence isn't true.        Even after this year,  we've got him controlled for two more years on his rookie contract.     I'm not sure he's ever been healthy enough to know how good Smith is or isn't.

I'd hate to see us cut him only to surface on another roster and turn into a decent player.

I could be wrong about this, but now that he's been waived, I believe the fourth year of his contract is voided. Of course, you're still right because he'd be a restricted free agent after only three years, so the Colts would still have him under control for a fourth year, if they wanted.

But I said when they made the move two weeks ago, I think they're done with him, and I think that because they chose to waive him when they didn't have to. They could have sent him directly to IR, and they instead chose to waive-injure him, exposing him to an active waiver process, and he only reverted back to the Colts IR because no one else claimed him. I expected them to do an injury settlement right away; the fact that they haven't done that so far means I could be totally wrong.

Grigson had an interview with Dakich last week, and he said that they hate to make moves like that, especially for high draft picks, but at a certain point you just have to move on... in so many words. I got the impression that they have turned the page on D'Joun Smith.

Like you, I would hate to see him go somewhere else and play well, knowing we have such a need. But I also agree with Grigson -- sometimes you just have to move on. With a 90 man offseason roster, there's room to give a young guy another shot in camp, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i wouldnt read too much into that.  i think pagano would say something to that effect about any player if he was asked

True that is why I also included that snippet of him saying Morris deserves to be on the roster only to cut him 2 days later. I was trying to say that sometimes he says something, but does something completely different. I am just saying that according to what he said Smith should be a Colt next season.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

6 hours ago, Superman said:

They just did the injury settlement with Djoun today. He was released from it with a settlement.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yup, and we don't know the length of the injury settlement. 

you are right, although both of them seemed to have mostly minor nagging stuff. Mitchel had a hamstring, and djoun had the ankle. The knee as far as i know healed up. With the way the injuries are piling up we might still be scouring the wire in a month . Who knows?

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Nagano says Guy is fine ... so down to 2 injured. Possible that Robinson is OK. Plus they are saying Geathers and Butler could both return to practice Wednesday . So maybe not as horrible as it looked yesterday at this time. On another note , I bet Grigson is kicking him self for letting Freeman go . 3 years 12 mill , 6 guaranteed ? I'll never understand that one. 

6 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

They should be looking for pass rush. Stafford was throwing darts and had forever to throw.

This is why the Colts first round draft choice probably came down to Ryan Kelly or Shaq Lawson.  Their two biggest areas of need where the oline, the center position specifically, and pass rush.  In the end they went oline because if you don't keep Andrew healthy nothing else matters and they had nothing at center.  For better or worse they have Mathis and Cole to rush the QB.  No they aren't going to set the world on fire but they are better than nothing that they had at center.

had they drafted Shaq and had he not needed surgery the pass rush would probably be better but we would all be screaming about how the oline still struggled.  This falls under the Colts had too many holes to fill in one season.  

I am not saying you are doing this, but as normal a lot of fans here are only focusing on the holes that remain and completely ignoring the area of the team that appears vastly improved in the oline after years of screaming that the oline needed to be fixed.