Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curious Case of Austin Blythe

akcolt

What is our plan for Austin? I think he's a great kid and was a heck of a college C. I watched a lot of Hawkeye games the last few years. He is technically sound hard working player. The problem is he was tossed around a bit vs bigger D-lineman and  routinely vs odd fronts. He is undersized, lacks strength, and his body build( T-Rex arms) limit him to the pivot in the NFL. 

Curiously looking at our depth chart we know this. He is listed at one position our 3rd C and properly done Kelly and Harrison are better choices. Why  do we have a rookie 3rd string C with no position flexibility on the roster? Do we plan to move Kelly out to G?  I doubt that's the plan seeing that we took him 18th oven all to play C. 

The fact that we already developing  Clark while on the 53 man make Blythe's spot more curious. After all his ceiling here is back up C. We have 9 OL on the roster but really only 7 guys ready for Sunday football. Our 5 starters Reitz Good Kelly Mewhort Castonzo then Harrison G/C and Haeg G/T. Harrison and Haeg have limited to no experience at G. I personally see Haeg as a T who very well could be our RT if Reitz gets dinged up and opens the door.

Why is Blythe on the 53 man? Why didn't we look at Schwartz Klien J Douglas? I thought we would bring in the Dolphins 4th rounder from last year . He sits on their PS. Do we take a look at Arkin. I'm not talking about signing a Sitton who would stunt the growth of this OL as a group. Keep the young guys together. We can't have our 3rd string C or isn't strong enough to play G and may never hold up in pass protection with his 30" arms  The most curious thing OL specifically the interior of the OL was the focus of the offseason. 

I think the depth chart is a bit misleading.  The coaches probably want to give Blythe time to beat out Harrison of the backup C spot.  

Bu immediately, Harrision is currently playing G, so if kelly gets hurt I assume Blythe might be an option.  

We'll see what happens when Mewhort is able to play.

7 minutes ago, akcolt said:

What is our plan for Austin? I think he's a great kid and was a heck of a college C. I watched a lot of Hawkeye games the last few years. He is technically sound hard working player. The problem is he was tossed around a bit vs bigger D-lineman and  routinely vs odd fronts. He is undersized, lacks strength, and his body build( T-Rex arms) limit him to the pivot in the NFL. 

Curiously looking at our depth chart we know this. He is listed at one position our 3rd C and properly done Kelly and Harrison are better choices. Why  do we have a rookie 3rd string C with no position flexibility on the roster? Do we plan to move Kelly out to G?  I doubt that's the plan seeing that we took him 18th oven all to play C. 

The fact that we already developing  Clark while on the 53 man make Blythe's spot more curious. After all his ceiling here is back up C. We have 9 OL on the roster but really only 7 guys ready for Sunday football. Our 5 starters Reitz Good Kelly Mewhort Castonzo then Harrison G/C and Haeg G/T. Harrison and Haeg have limited to no experience at G. I personally see Haeg as a T who very well could be our RT if Reitz gets dinged up and opens the door.

Why is Blythe on the 53 man? Why didn't we look at Schwartz Klien J Douglas? I thought we would bring in the Dolphins 4th rounder from last year . He sits on their PS. Do we take a look at Arkin. I'm not talking about signing a Sitton who would stunt the growth of this OL as a group. Keep the young guys together. We can't have our 3rd string C or isn't strong enough to play G and may never hold up in pass protection with his 30" arms  The most curious thing OL specifically the interior of the OL was the focus of the offseason. 

Blythe certainly makes more sense on the PS waiting on an injury to Kelly or Harrison. But as you point out, on a game day roster would you want him playing ANY Guard in case of injury. Heavens NO!
 Grigson and Chucky have a History of keeping guys with great attitudes over NFL skills. Seth Olson ... i won`t go on.
 Heag as a tackle for sure. And a 300lb Harrison at guard? Oy vey!
 A healthy, reborn, contract year motivated, missing Thornton has screwed up things that is for sure. lol
 Can`t wait to see where we are at against that Denver defense. :Yikes:

He might simply be there because Harrison is going to be starting LG until Mewhort recovers.  You need someone who can capably play C if you lose Kelly.

They might also be hoping that he can improve and beat out Harrison to be the backup center 

Personally I'd like to have a backup center who can actually snap the ball.  And Harrison has been known to have at least one bad snap per game.  

In fact I don't think Andrew has ever taken a bad snap from a center that wasn't Harrison.  Which is even more pathetic when you consider how many center's Luck has taken a snap from in his career. 

Also I'm not entirely certain that he has no position flexibility.  I think they have put him in at guard in pre-season.

Hes the third center. Nothing more, nothing less as I keep speaking to you. He has to be on the roster because of the position flex of Harrison who is really our 2nd option at back up Guard. Haeg is really the first option but hes dinged up. In this type of situation where Harrison has to play the guard its obvious Blythe is needed to play back up center. Hes been given time at Guard in camp because of his Wrestling background but its kind of clear hes more of an emergency guard than anything else. If Harrison has to start at Guard in this situation that we have and you cut Blythe for Schwartz or Kline then who would be the third center? All these guys have been together the whole off season and preseason. They all know this offense versus an outsider. It's real early in the season. I'm sure the mindset is to keep the guys we know and let them grow. Make adjustments as we go. Kline and Schwartz are still not on anybodies roster so the whole league has a certain sentiment on them right now. It's not just the Colts.

Colts needed another center.  I think they found one in the seventh round maybe he could play guard in a pinch but I look at this much like when they drafted Harnish in 2012.  The long term plan was for him to develop into Luck's backup.  Clearly that never happened but I think that's what's going on here, they are hoping he can be the backup center.

I think the Bigger concern is can Harrison really play Guard? I didn't watch him real closely in the preseason. Dont recall him getting beat too much but clearly I could be wrong. If he can then we have two viable backups for the interior and then the third string center in Blythe who is an emergency Guard. If Harrison can't play guard then we might have to make a few phone calls.

Blythe played some guard in the preseason and IMO is a liability out there if he lines up at guard.  He is a great technician but he looks so small out there.

Harrison at guard in the preseason had the same problems we've seen for the last two years.  If a guy is directly over him, he demolishes them, if he has to move laterally to get to a defender then he really struggles.

You're all worked up because you think Blythe doesn't have position flexibility.

He does.   

Blythe can play guard.     He can play center.        The team typically keeps 9 offensive lineman on the 53,  but only activates 7 of them for the 46 who play in the game.

Everything is fine.     Take a deep breath.     All is good.     Nothing is wrong.      You got worked up over very little.

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Personally I think Blythe is still around because he is versed in the blocking scheme. Philbin was an old Hawkeye and maybe its a bit personal too. But having a guy, even if he's a back up C, that knows the scheme inside and out could be a big deal. Plus as others point out, I dont think Harrison is really a C anymore hes going to be a platoon G.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think the depth chart is a bit misleading.  The coaches probably want to give Blythe time to beat out Harrison of the backup C spot.  

Bu immediately, Harrision is currently playing G, so if kelly gets hurt I assume Blythe might be an option.  

We'll see what happens when Mewhort is able to play.

This I believe to be true!

45 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Personally I think Blythe is still around because he is versed in the blocking scheme. Philbin was an old Hawkeye and maybe its a bit personal too. But having a guy, even if he's a back up C, that knows the scheme inside and out could be a big deal. Plus as others point out, I dont think Harrison is really a C anymore hes going to be a platoon G.

I agree.  I think the backup C spot will soon be his if it isn't already.  I think they are done with Harrison as the backup C and want to move him to G.  I actually think he can play there and could fill the backup role there but he has to prove himself.  I hope he makes it. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Maybe we use him as trade bait down the road. any thoughts on that?.

I think he is on the roster because they think he can play and is versatile. Also if you are on the practice squad, you can be picked up at any time by any team in the NFL.  If you are on the 53 man roster, then you are off limits, so it could also be to protect him too.  A just in case as someone said Mewhort was a 2 to 4 week injury.  Sounds like he might go this Sunday, but what if...........................   AND I will leave it at that.

12 hours ago, krunk said:

Hes the third center. Nothing more, nothing less as I keep speaking to you. He has to be on the roster because of the position flex of Harrison who is really our 2nd option at back up Guard. Haeg is really the first option but hes dinged up. In this type of situation where Harrison has to play the guard its obvious Blythe is needed to play back up center. Hes been given time at Guard in camp because of his Wrestling background but its kind of clear hes more of an emergency guard than anything else. If Harrison has to start at Guard in this situation that we have and you cut Blythe for Schwartz or Kline then who would be the third center? All these guys have been together the whole off season and preseason. They all know this offense versus an outsider. It's real early in the season. I'm sure the mindset is to keep the guys we know and let them grow. Make adjustments as we go. Kline and Schwartz are still not on anybodies roster so the whole league has a certain sentiment on them right now. It's not just the Colts.

The point I was making was why did we draft an undersized C who clearly was overmatched in college vs bigger D lineman especially odd fronts. He is small with short arms. He can't play G in this league he will never be great at pass pro on Sunday's  at C. We drafted a C with the 18th pick the draft another in the 7th?  

The interior of the OL was the self proclaimed and they proclaimed it over and over focus of the offseason. We are fixing the interior the whole OL was put on notice. We  have 1 solid G on the roster yet we don't bring a single player in that has experience as a G? I get why we have to dress Blythe on Sunday Krunk. I don't get how we ended up in that position if our focus was on the interior of the OL. It looks bad.  

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

The point I was making was why did we draft an undersized C who clearly was overmatched in college vs bigger D lineman especially odd fronts. He is small with short arms. He can't play G in this league he will never be great at pass pro on Sunday's  at C. We drafted a C with the 18th pick the draft another in the 7th?  

The interior of the OL was the self proclaimed and they proclaimed it over and over focus of the offseason. We are fixing the interior the whole OL was put on notice. We  have 1 solid G on the roster yet we don't bring a single player in that has experience as a G? I get why we have to dress Blythe on Sunday Krunk. I don't get how we ended up in that position if our focus was on the interior of the OL. It looks bad.  

why are you putting so much emphasis on the 3rd team center? I dont think anyone really wants him to play guard. If so it would be in an emergency situation. They want him to be the third team center. I dont know of anyone's third teamers that dont have flaws. Your issue with him being overmatched as you say really depends on the film and the scouts/coaches who study the film. They must feel the overmatching is a matter of how he goes about the block more so than strength. It's obvious they feel they can mold his flaws. How exactly do you know what he will do on Sundays as a center? I know you have issues with his measurables, but he will get a lot stronger. I'm sure they think its a plus that he was a really good wrestler as that will allow him to gain leverage on bigger defenders. I dont recall Jeff Saturday having much position flexibility either. Blythe is a 7th round pick, that's damn near UDFA. I mean what kind of athlete are you expecting when you select a player there? Most of them have warts.

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think we are fine at the guards personally. Good can hold at the point of attack against power players. Was listening to Venturi Offensive Keys to the game on Colts.com and he said he felt Good could hold his own against Haloti Ngata so im not alone in my thinking. Needs to refine some of the other functions of the position but I think he will get there. Like those long arms. Must remember hes transitioning from another position so there will be some hiccups. Just about all the pressure in the preseason came off the tackles. Haeg to me will be a really good player. Harrison may turn out to be better at guard. Hes got just as much size as Kelly, many have mentioned his strength is good in the past. Do I like him? No, but its clear they feel he'll do okay. Otherwise we would have certainly called in a free agent. Philbin is known for being a good teacher so we will see where hes going with it. I do know he turned a tight end into a pretty good lineman before so ill give his vision a shot and see what happens. It's still really early in the season so moves can be made if necessary. Got to give the guys who know this offense first dibs though.

23 hours ago, akcolt said:

Why is Blythe on the 53 man?

Not going to argue any of your points, but do want to point out-

A team can only dress 46 players out of the 53 on game day.  7 must sit out, healthy or not.  This was to level the 'playing field' {pardon the pun} with teams that have the injury bug playing against one that does not.  They can sit the banged up players and not be at as much a disadvantage, or 3rd string healthy players.

Max Unger and Jeff Saturday, they weren't too far from Austin Blythe's size, right? He will be the back up center hands down, as soon as he has a year of the NFL weight regimen, IMO. He has got the size and smarts, just need more reps and weight training for the strength part.

If Harrison can play LG and fill in for Mewhort for injuries, he may not play center anymore thus giving us ample backups at every position. 

16 hours ago, krunk said:

I think we are fine at the guards personally. Good can hold at the point of attack against power players. Was listening to Venturi Offensive Keys to the game on Colts.com and he said he felt Good could hold his own against Haloti Ngata so im not alone in my thinking. Needs to refine some of the other functions of the position but I think he will get there. Like those long arms. Must remember hes transitioning from another position so there will be some hiccups. Just about all the pressure in the preseason came off the tackles. Haeg to me will be a really good player. Harrison may turn out to be better at guard. Hes got just as much size as Kelly, many have mentioned his strength is good in the past. Do I like him? No, but its clear they feel he'll do okay. Otherwise we would have certainly called in a free agent. Philbin is known for being a good teacher so we will see where hes going with it. I do know he turned a tight end into a pretty good lineman before so ill give his vision a shot and see what happens. It's still really early in the season so moves can be made if necessary. Got to give the guys who know this offense first dibs though.

This is it my last try. The interior of the OL was the FOCUS OF THE OFFSEASON. How many times did we hear it? So how do we end up here. 

I like the starters. We have 2 back ups who can help.  Our swing T who is a rookie who has probably never played G is our best back up G? He is at least at LG. We took our C and  made him back up RG. Harrison could be a capable back up RG we've seen him at C. I will leave it at that. Keep in mind the focus of our off season is one injury a way from seeing Harrison starting at 2 spots. 

That leaves Blythe the 3rd string C nothing more nothing less. I'm pretty sure Philbin can't teach his frame or arms to grow. How many teams keep a 3rd C on their roster that doesn't do anything but play the pivot? I can't think of a one off the top of my head particularly oo that just spent 1/18 on a C. This was the focus of our off season. As long as everyone else is cool with it I'll shut up.