Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts To Interview Ravens' Dc Chuck Pagano [Merge]

Coltswarriors

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about this man... and have not looked yet.

the last few Raven DC' s to get promoted..

Rex Ryan ... NO THANKS

Mike Nolan

Marvin Lewis

Just sayin... is it the talent or the "coach"...

This is the very reason I am leary about a coordinator... because teh coordinator takes a "new" job and no longer does the one that got him promoted...

Regardless.... I like the direction.

But their defense is good, offence we have Peyton hopefully

Have they? Outside of Rex and quick 2 year run...

Rex

Nolan ... bust

Lewis... how does he still have his job? Zimm's help maybe.

and Pag has been an NFL DC for all of one season...

RED LIGHTS...

Yeah forgot about Nolan in there. Lewis has gotten the Bengals to the playoffs what three times as their headcoach there? That's like getting the Clippers pre this year into the playoffs three times. Pretty hard to do.

Ryan has taken the Jets to the AFCCG twice so I stand by what I said about those two doing a good job.

I spaced Nolan which was my fault.

Rex has divided his own team because of his willingness to let everyone "be themselves"... He is done as the Jets HC. He won't recover.

These Alpha/player friendly types NEVER succeed. And Lewis.. seriously. how many years do you get ot finally make it happen? Heck Caldwell got 3, had a winning record and got fired.

Rex is a Buddy clone, and will never win big. He blew his shot. And Lewis... ???

Mike Brown, need I say more?

I understand that they aren't Bill Belichick. The Jets issues have been mainly on offense. They can't run the ball like they used to and Sanchez isn't an elite QB. They got to 2 consecutive AFC championship games using the ground-and-pound mentality that Ryan brought. They decided to swerve away from that this year and put the ball in Sanchez' hands and it didn't work.

Lewis has had to deal with some real characters during his time as head coach in Cincy. We saw how stubborn Carson can be and we all know about Ocho. We've even seen Bill Belichick not be able to work with flamboyant people like Haynesworth. Only difference is Belichick has a talent filled roster whereas Lewis' GM doesn't give him as much to work with. It's also going to be hard to have lots of success when you are in the same division as the Steelers and Ravens

I understand that they aren't Bill Belichick. The Jets issues have been mainly on offense. They can't run the ball like they used to and Sanchez isn't an elite QB. They got to 2 consecutive AFC championship games using the ground-and-pound mentality that Ryan brought. They decided to swerve away from that this year and put the ball in Sanchez' hands and it didn't work.

Lewis has had to deal with some real characters during his time as head coach in Cincy. We saw how stubborn Carson can be and we all know about Ocho. We've even seen Bill Belichick not be able to work with flamboyant people like Haynesworth. Only difference is Belichick has a talent filled roster whereas Lewis' GM doesn't give him as much to work with. It's also going to be hard to have lots of success when you are in the same division as the Steelers and Ravens

Ryan and Lewis's issues are with "the personality" of the team not X's and O's..

Ryan has encouraged an outlaw reputation. guess what Rex? now you have it.. Good Luck. Your team is a wreck, and it will have to be fixed form within. Not gonna happen with that sorry bunch.

and Lewis "has had to deaal with a bunch of characters" ... oh Lord seriously.. Lewis enabled this atmosphere to fester. The Bengals have drafted the must "undraftable" players in the last ten years... WHat has it got them? Besides arrest after arrest.

You don't buy pork steak and expect to eat filet.

Neither of these men are "strong" HC's.. We as Colt fans have been spoiled by Mora, Dungy, and yes Caldwell. Strong locker room personalities who demand respect. Because when Indy gets it's own Rex in here I doubt too many of us will like it.

This is why I like Tressa and Zimm.. . they won't put up with any ^cowpatties^ from entitled players. Tress gave too much rope to some at OSU and his kids burned him... In the NFL, he won't have to worry about that nonesense.

Everyone loves the Colt culture... but don't want to take realisic looks at who is likely to continue said cultrue.

I think Zimm or Tress are the ones...... The rest, we are rolling dice.

I like the idea of this guy.

Marvin Lewis is still a good coach that has been dealing with a team of side shows for most of his tenure in Cincy and Rex Ryan is a great coach with an average QB.

Id take either one of them any day of the week over Caldwell.

It wouldn't matter if our Head Coach was "defensive-minded," because that's not his job. His is to instill leadership, attitude, an overall gameplan, and some measure of player control. He has to be concerned with both sides of the balk, but not at the micro level. If our HC starts trying to micro-manage one side of the ball, we will be in trouble. His job is to hire coordinators he can delegate to. Whatever the future of the Colts defense will look like will be 100% up to the DC, not the HC...that is, unless we want to fail.

You go through Frank Kush and Ron Downhower times there Dee? or a bad time when Mora missed the playoffs one year?

heeh.. I'm

It wouldn't matter if our Head Coach was "defensive-minded," because that's not his job. His is to instill leadership, attitude, an overall gameplan, and some measure of player control. He has to be concerned with both sides of the balk, but not at the micro level. If our HC starts trying to micro-manage one side of the ball, we will be in trouble. His job is to hire coordinators he can delegate to. Whatever the future of the Colts defense will look like will be 100% up to the DC, not the HC...that is, unless we want to fail.

Doogs you are kicking str8 knowledge lately...

Right On...

44 I'm a man...

Irsay is weird, but I do trust him. He was right to grab Polian. I think he saw something good in Grigson, and I think he'll see something in our new HC. Heck, he picked Dungy against Polian's wishes and Dungy is probably one of the most respected man that's ever been in the league. I don't think he'll pick someone who is a "coordinator lifer". He'll look for that HC thing.

Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan have gotten teams to playoffs, Rex in the AFC championship with a team I feel is full of underachievers especially at QB. I may hate his brash talk but aside from this year, Rex has coached that team well. And Marvin Lewis well I did bash alot did ALOT with a young team this year. I'm not saying their amazing but not every coach is going to be Bill in New England. heck Harbaugh is almost mythological at this point what he did. I'm also wondering who you think is going to come to Indy and do what Harbaugh did, Ironically the best candidate for that would be a guy who had just a successful college career if that's the comparison in Tressel lol. Like it or not he's the most qualified as he was a head coach at least. I'm not saying he's my number 1, but how can any of us judge coordinators as of this point when all they did was well, coordinate a type of position or half of the team?

People come up with any reason to not like a HC candidate.

"He has no NFL experience, therefore he must suck"

"He's been a coordinator, but not a HC, therefore he must suck"

"He turned a blind eye to college kids getting tats, therefore he must suck"

"He's got funny lookin hair, therefore he must suck"

"Blah, blah, blah".

No matter who we hire somebody is going to have a stupid excuse not to like them without even giving them a chance.

This is spot on!!!!!!!!

This is absolutely correct.

Liked!

Of the guys interviewed (that we know of) he would jump to number 1. I like the fact he would bring along the 3-4, although it would take some time to bring in the necessary talent for it. Chuck's defenses have always been near the top of the leagues best D's. Only concern is that as Ravens DC its awfully easy to look like a good coach with Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata and Jarrett Johnson.

On another note I'm friends with a whole family of Pagano's I'm sure they would keep letting me hear it "one of them" coaches my team

Not trying to be mean or anything, but saying that he would bring a 3-4 defense to the colts is a bit uninformed. Just because the Ravens use a 3-4 doesn't mean that he has to use it. A good example of this is former Raven's D-coordinator Greg Mattison who went to Michigan last year to coach their defense. He switched the wolverines from a 3-4 to a 4-3. I think the colts are better off staying with a 4-3 defense and I like the 4-3 better anyways.

2005-06: (with Oakland) Spent two seasons as the Raiders’ defensive backs coach. 2006: Raiders led the NFL in pass defense, allowing just 150.8 yards per game, and ranked third in total defense, surrendering only 284.8 yards per contest…CB Nnamdi Asomugha was third in the NFL with 8 INTs.

2001-04: (with Cleveland) Coached the Browns’ secondary under then-head coach Butch Davis…Spent four years coaching alongside Ravens current assistant head coach/special teams coordinator Jerry Rosburg. 2003: DBs helped Cleveland tie the franchise record for allowing the fewest passing TDs (13). 2001: Under Pagano’s guidance, the Browns’ secondary accounted for 28 of the team’s NFL-leading and team-record 33 INTs, which set a new mark…Rookie CB Anthony Henry led NFL with 10 picks.

Straight off Ravens.com. Very impressive.

Has he coached for only 3-4 coaches or for both 3-4 and 4-3 coaches?

I would be a happy camper if we hire him.

I too would LOVE the hire!!! Would bring the same type of MOXIE and INTENSITY as Zimmerman. BOTH run AGGRESSIVE schemes that would bring a new FEAR factor to the Colts d they HAVEN'T had in the Indy era. (with the exception of Freeney and Mathis to opposing qbs) Just hope if EITHER one is hired that they would go out and get an AGGRESSIVE oc as well. Most defensive hc's TEND to be CONSERVATIVE on the offensive side of the ball (ala Fox and SEVERAL others) with the exception being hoodie (who WILL adapt to WIN no matter what) and to a certain extent Coughlin. (Eli's numbers are RISING) ANYONE to this point would be BETTER than the SPECULATED Dungy/Caldwell clone in Tressel and KEEPING Clyde as the oc. :cuss:

Has he coached for only 3-4 coaches or for both 3-4 and 4-3 coaches?

I asked my cousin who is a Raiders fan and he thinks in Pagano's time there they ran a 4-3. Which would mean 4-3 there and a 3-4 in Baltimore for the last three years. But he wasn't the DC in Oakland or Cleveland, he was the D backs coach.

Well after looking on Twitter, it seems that Chuck Pagano has a pretty good supporter in Robert Mathis. Robert Mathis and Jamal Anderson were talking about the possibility of Pagano being their new coach, and Rob said he is willing to switch back to his original position of OLB in a 3-4 Defense. Lets make this happen Jim, Either Pagano or Zimmer would be great because they could bring the hybrid 34/43 Defense.

Well after looking on Twitter, it seems that Chuck Pagano has a pretty good supporter in Robert Mathis. Robert Mathis and Jamal Anderson were talking about the possibility of Pagano being their new coach, and Rob said he is willing to switch back to his original position of OLB in a 3-4 Defense. Lets make this happen Jim, Either Pagano or Zimmer would be great because they could bring the hybrid 34/43 Defense.

A flexible 4-3 Pagano defense is more preferable for the colts than a 3-4. I don't like the idea of the colts running a base 3-4 defense next year, but I don't think Pagano would do that.

I just want either Pagano or Zimmer to come in and fix our 43 Defense and a couple of seasons down the road have the personnel to run a hybrid defense. I love how Baltimore runs that hybrid to perfection basically. Lets see who gets hired, and if they bulk up our D players, and implement great blitz packages.

I just want either Pagano or Zimmer to come in and fix our 43 Defense and a couple of seasons down the road have the personnel to run a hybrid defense. I love how Baltimore runs that hybrid to perfection basically. Lets see who gets hired, and if they bulk up our D players, and implement great blitz packages.

...I don't want our defense to take a step back though. We just need a few pieces on defense like CB, NT, and SS and some good coaching and I think our 4-3 can be pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 down lineman sets at times kind of like what LSU did this past season. A hybrid 4-3 would be fine with me, but I don't really want us to move to the 3-4.