Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

National Anthem

Jim H.

36 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

No.  I edited out my original post.  But couldn't get rid of it entirely - this is what was left.  L

I thought I was having a mind cloud moment when I read it the second time.

Now it's like a random thought.  But who can argue with it?

Good question about what to do in England.  

In hockey games in Canada, they do both anthems if one team is Canadian and another is American, but if both teams are American and in another country?   Not sure.

Anyone see any previous NFL games played in the UK?

If memory serves, even NHL games with two U.S.-based teams may play Oh, Canada before the game as most players are Canadian. Particularly if the game is in a community near the border.

Quite frankly, I think we overdo it, and we could've chose a better song than The Star Spangled Banner for the national anthem.

47 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

If memory serves, even NHL games with two U.S.-based teams may play Oh, Canada before the game as most players are Canadian. Particularly if the game is in a community near the border.

Quite frankly, I think we overdo it, and we could've chose a better song than The Star Spangled Banner for the national anthem.

I wish they would skip the anthem thing altogether.  Get on with the game already.

America the Beautiful should be the national anthem.

If you're asking me if I find the Natl. Anthem or Star Spangled Banner moving, I most certainly do. Yes, it is fine & justified to have national pride in the sacrifices our soldiers, sailors, Air Force, & Marines make everyday along with their families to keep us safe both at home & abroad. No one would object to or deny that. 

However, I would caution others in creating the misguided sentiment that just because the United States Of America has the largest military in the world with the best trained officers in it, that America is the only country in the world that has natl. pride in it's men & women or that their natl. anthem, outside the US, is any less significant  to them. 

6 hours ago, grmasterb said:

And what song would you pick over the Star Spangled Banner?  History and tradition does mean something IMO. I really don't think we can over do having pride in America myself. Watching people step on, burning and disrespecting this countries flag is something I hate with a passion.

Not arguing with the op, gotta love the anthem if you are at all patriotic , but god save the queen' oh canada is a catchy number too.

actually, thats one of my favorite parts of the olympics.  Watching the anthems/flag raising at medal time and witnessing the respect, pride and emotion all people show toward their anthems:

then the moment is usually ruined by that hideous U -S - A chant .  I hate that.  Its so aggressive, arrogant and condescending, imo.  Borderline disrespectful at times.

i'm all for patriotism, but show some class, respect, and honor to others.

act like you've been there before, to use a football term.

4 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjMFmxj4go

Star Spangled banner followed By God Save the Queen ..

Nfl International series @ Wembley Stadium Oct 2015 

That was an interesting dynamic to see 2 dual Natl. Anthems side by side sung with their corresponding Union Jack's in toe unfurled live as a visualization experiment Adonis 1. Congress vs Parliament; the Eagle vs the Lion; the Presidency vs the Monarchy & the Divine Right Of Kings. 

As a historian, I get a kick out of stuff like this on a symbolic level for emblematic reasons. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what song would you pick over the Star Spangled Banner?  History and tradition does mean something IMO. I really don't think we can over do having pride in America myself. Watching people step on, burning and disrespecting this countries flag is something I hate with a passion.

Natl. pride in your country is fine as long as 1 country doesn't rub their superiority in another country's nose in it like we're the best & everyone else is worthless or can't measure up to our standard of excellence, which the US likes to flaunt from time to time. Often, this 2nd class resentment can lead to unpleasant behavior toward other nations as a means of defiance & value in their own regime. 

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Not arguing with the op, gotta love the anthem if you are at all patriotic , but god save the queen' oh canada is a catchy number too.

actually, thats one of my favorite parts of the olympics.  Watching the anthems/flag raising at medal time and witnessing the respect, pride and emotion all people show toward their anthems:

then the moment is usually ruined by that hideous U -S - A chant .  I hate that.  Its so aggressive, arrogant and condescending, imo.  Borderline disrespectful at times.

i'm all for patriotism, but show some class, respect, and honor to others.

act like you've been there before, to use a football term.

I do agree that sometimes some American citizens don't always present our Republic in the best possible light on a few occasions WM, when they would be better served to just listen in silence to other cultures outside of our own. I get your primary point. You're not wrong. 

The vast majority of citizens typically display their natl. pride respectfully while paying proper respect toward other countries & commonwealths IMO. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Natl. pride in your country is fine as long as 1 country doesn't rub their superiority in another country's nose in it like we're the best & everyone else is worthless or can't measure up to our standard of excellence, which the US likes to flaunt from time to time. Often, this 2nd class resentment can lead to unpleasant behavior toward other nations as a means of defiance & value in their own regime. 

I do agree that sometimes some American citizens don't always present our Republic in the best possible light on a few occasions WM, when they would be better served to just listen in silence to other cultures outside of our own. I get your primary point. You're not wrong. 

The vast majority of citizens typically display their natl. pride respectfully while paying proper respect toward other countries & commonwealths IMO. 

I agree.  

if you really think you are "the leaders of the free world", there is no need to boast.   I've found that the most impressive "champions" are those who are most humble.

Have you been to a little league baseball or football game lately?   Its crazy.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

There seems to be a huge drop off in American Pride these days. We have witnessed more flag burning, flag stomping and have seen people even cop a squat and urinate on this countries flag, This country as a whole has no pride in itself anymore. We have moved this country back 40 plus years. No, I don't think we as a whole have pride and dignity anymore. The upcoming generation would rather stick their attention to their cell phones and gossip about useless horse dung than to worry about useless things like pride in your country. Considering we have the whole world at your finger tips people cant even look each other in the eyes and communicate.

2 hours ago, Jim H. said:

Sorry, folks.  Didn't mean to open a can of political worms.  Just couldn't figure out how to completely delete a post, and stuck those words in.  :^)

Don't worry about that. People are just passionate about the countries heritage and are more out spoken than others. You short comment about it being a great song was not wrong by no means. It seems too many have lost the essence of what that song means. It's a subject worth the effort to debate and discuss.

It appears this thread has room for some political discussion, something I avoid doing because I don't wish to hijack threads.

Nationalism is a a double edge sword. Looking around the place you live and work and calling those people your neighbours and countrymen allows for a level of cooperation and execution that can accomplish great things. I love living in Canada because there is a long standing tradition of peace, order, and good government. The U.S. was built on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I think we can agree that's all great.

I take issue with nationalist sentiment when it allows us to dehumanize our fellow man. Making it easier to say it's us vs them.

There are many people and organizations that conduct themselves as multinational. They have little alligence to any country. They hide money in tax shelter nations, they overthrow democraticly elected governments, they move where it's most convenient to do business. All without a thought of patriotism.

I saw part of this quote in Las Vegas on a placard. 

What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that       what we mean is a sense of national responsibility which will enable America to remain master of her power--to walk with it in serenity and wisdom, with self-respect and the respect of all mankind; a patriotism that puts country ahead of self; a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. The dedication of a lifetime--these are words that are easy to utter, but this is a mighty assignment. For it is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them.

Adlai Stevenson

I'm a believer that were are citizens of the world first. Ask not what the world can do for you but what you can do for the world.

The current country based model of the world is having a tough time dealing with the post modern era of environmentalism, globalization, and even the refugee crisis.  

So am I a proud Canadian? Hell yes but, I know there's a great big world out there.

4 hours ago, Jim H. said:

Sorry, folks.  Didn't mean to open a can of political worms.  Just couldn't figure out how to completely delete a post, and stuck those words in.  :^)

You didn't do anything wrong Jim. Thank you for your service & there is nothing to apologize for about being proud of America as a nation, as a military, & as a citizenry. 

All I meant to convey is that sometimes dominance as a armed forces unit & a nice standard of living with a variety of freedoms at our disposal can create jealousy & resentment outside of the US in other regions, hemispheres, & circles of influence around the world that's all. 

It's not a negative reflection on you personally at all Jim. I apologize if anything I said made you feel uneasy or uncomfortable sir. That was not my original intention. I see nothing wrong with what you posted Jim. 

I was just highlighting that some nations don't care to always be overshadowed by America's greatness & they would like their nationalistic pride in their countries outside of the United States once in awhile that's all. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There seems to be a huge drop off in American Pride these days. We have witnessed more flag burning, flag stomping and have seen people even cop a squat and urinate on this countries flag, This country as a whole has no pride in itself anymore. We have moved this country back 40 plus years. No, I don't think we as a whole have pride and dignity anymore. The upcoming generation would rather stick their attention to their cell phones and gossip about useless horse dung than to worry about useless things like pride in your country. Considering we have the whole world at your finger tips people cant even look each other in the eyes and communicate.

There is some truth to the argument that many younger generations are more preoccupied with modern day devices as opposed to meaningful communication & authentic listening to those individuals who came before them with a vast net of knowledge, wisdom, & life experience at their feet. That's a legitimate point CC1. 

As far as burning the red, white, & blue are concerned, I'm not thrilled over that either, but our Republic has faced desecration before during the American Revolution & beyond & we are still here so I'm not that worried personally. Besides, it's tough to gauge with any level of authority the rise or fall of flag defacement overseas when America is still a very young nation as opposed to say Great Britain who has been around a lot longer than us CC1. 

Why are so many people acting like we cannot be proud to be American without offending other countries?  I would hope Canadians are proud to be Canadians, French are proud to be French, etc.  I am proud to be American, I'm not going to apologize for it or minimize my pride to spare the feelings of those whoa re not Americans.

I will not belittle  or minimize the pride countrymen feel for their country either.

And this idea that we are citizens of the world... sorry that is only the case if we get invaded by by aliens.  Another wya to look at it, when I grew up my town had two high schools, we all lived in the same time but the kids at the kids at the other school were my rivals.  Now if someone from another school came in and gave those kids at the rival school a hard time, I would stand up with them.  Laws from other countries do not apply to me unless I am in their country.  Just like our laws do not apply to them unless they are in our country (it doesn't happen in the US but that is a topic for another discussion not on this forum)

I could go on, but I better else I will get in trouble.  Our Constitution gives us the right to free speech, the forum rules do not.  I will end with this, while, musically, I can appreciate the anthem's from other countries.... none of them are as good as the Star Spangled Banner because none of them represent what that song represents.

5 hours ago, Jim H. said:

lol, you can see the pent up desire to post political things here.

No worries, not your fault

I love our National anthem and feel a sense of pride when singing and/or listening to it.

What I detest is when artists feel the need to change the melody when singing it.. :argh:

And I personally like the tradition of having it sung before games.  Just my 2 cents on the topic.

I remember a game, (think is was 2011, week 16 home game against the Texans & right before Christmas) where a string quartet played an instrumental version of the National Anthem...

Thought that was a nice touch, allowed for some different "voicing" to the standard version, that was still respectful, true to the melody & appropriate for the Holiday season...

On a side note, pretty much everyone thought that game was going to be Reggie's last as a Colt, so it was an emotional game taboot...  

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

America the Beautiful is a much better song. Period.

True love of country is different from flag-waving and U-S-A chants. I learned that being stationed outside the U.S. and paying attention to the outside world.

I love the national anthem, Americans, and citizens of the world.  Love artists that change it too. Love Canadians as well! :)

I don't think people lack respect for the country.  It's a perspective.  my dad used to always complain how young people had no values but he could never give me an example of what he meant.  All the young people I know have values. There's the same amount of valueless people that there's always been.  They aren't restricted to a particular age group.

Things change so they look different. On 9/11 you didn't see political divisiveness.  You saw unity. Because this is our home and these are our people.

And there isn't free speech everywhere.  You cannot yell 'bomb' on an airplane or 'fire' in a crowded theater.  you are not free to say whatever you want wherever you want anywhere including here.

There are other places that encourage political and religious discussion, this just isn't one of them.  And we are pretty clear about that up front.

That said, thanks to everyone for keeping this civil

10 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

True love of country is different from flag-waving and U-S-A chants. I learned that being stationed outside the U.S. and paying attention to the outside world.

In your opinion America The Beautiful is a better song. The flag has always represented this country with it's colors and the meaning of those colors. In war the flags represent victory. In the military the flag represents America all over the world. In every school the flag stands for this country. Maybe the melody of America The Beautiful may be better but the words are what matters and why they mean something. There is a star for every state so it truly is more about this country and the strife we have endured over time.

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

I love the national anthem, Americans, and citizens of the world.  Love artists that change it too. Love Canadians as well! :)

I don't think people lack respect for the country.  It's a perspective.  my dad used to always complain how young people had no values but he could never give me an example of what he meant.  All the young people I know have values. There's the same amount of valueless people that there's always been.  They aren't restricted to a particular age group.

Things change so they look different. On 9/11 you didn't see political divisiveness.  You saw unity. Because this is our home and these are our people.

And there isn't free speech everywhere.  You cannot yell 'bomb' on an airplane or 'fire' in a crowded theater.  you are not free to say whatever you want wherever you want anywhere including here.

There are other places that encourage political and religious discussion, this just isn't one of them.  And we are pretty clear about that up front.

That said, thanks to everyone for keeping this civil

You don't quote me but your comment about free speech was directed at my post and you completely misunderstood what I meant. 

All I meant was the forum has rules and I was going to stop my post before I violated those rules.

1 hour ago, grmasterb said:

Like Crazycolt said, it's a better song in your opinion.

Love of country is not flag waving and USA chants I don't think anyone said it was.  The funny thing is, I learned that long before I was stationed outside the US and paying attention to the outside world.

On 8/9/2016 at 1:14 AM, southwest1 said:

That was an interesting dynamic to see 2 dual Natl. Anthems side by side sung with their corresponding Union Jack's in toe unfurled live as a visualization experiment Adonis 1. Congress vs Parliament; the Eagle vs the Lion; the Presidency vs the Monarchy & the Divine Right Of Kings. 

As a historian, I get a kick out of stuff like this on a symbolic level for emblematic reasons. 

I liked that video very much while watching the union Jack & listening to the music & words I was thinking the music it self reminded me of an American tune i'v heard many times in the past .

20 hours ago, Nadine said:

lol, you can see the pent up desire to post political things here.

No worries, not your fault

With the Olympic Games going on in Sports it just creeps into the discussion if handled in an adult manner no harm no foul respectful opinions & harmless opinions are nice & a learning process about those we visit with daily & it gives us a window to see into the hearts of folks whose opinions we'v come to know thru sports, its a clearer picture for me & I thank You .:hat:

21 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

It appears this thread has room for some political discussion, something I avoid doing because I don't wish to hijack threads.

Nationalism is a a double edge sword. Looking around the place you live and work and calling those people your neighbours and countrymen allows for a level of cooperation and execution that can accomplish great things. I love living in Canada because there is a long standing tradition of peace, order, and good government. The U.S. was built on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I think we can agree that's all great.

I take issue with nationalist sentiment when it allows us to dehumanize our fellow man. Making it easier to say it's us vs them.

There are many people and organizations that conduct themselves as multinational. They have little alligence to any country. They hide money in tax shelter nations, they overthrow democraticly elected governments, they move where it's most convenient to do business. All without a thought of patriotism.

I saw part of this quote in Las Vegas on a placard. 

What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that       what we mean is a sense of national responsibility which will enable America to remain master of her power--to walk with it in serenity and wisdom, with self-respect and the respect of all mankind; a patriotism that puts country ahead of self; a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. The dedication of a lifetime--these are words that are easy to utter, but this is a mighty assignment. For it is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them.

Adlai Stevenson

I'm a believer that were are citizens of the world first. Ask not what the world can do for you but what you can do for the world.

The current country based model of the world is having a tough time dealing with the post modern era of environmentalism, globalization, and even the refugee crisis.  

So am I a proud Canadian? Hell yes but, I know there's a great big world out there.

You might not of Hijacked the thread but you did take us for a joy ride .:)

The National Anthems are a harmless topic what are your feelings on them ? 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:06 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Its because the percentage of people living and working in the US who are actually American citizens is probably at its lowest ever.

Transnational companies transfer people here to work.  Others migrate here to work.  When the corporation changes strategy, the workers get transferred out. 

People are here as long as they can earn a living and get benefits, not because they have some burning desire to be an American and leave their home culture behind.  They come here strictly for financial reasons.  The "pride" thing is not a draw.  When the money runs out, they'll go back home.  No real desire to make America their home, so they have no problems trashing it while they're here earning a paycheck.

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

With the Olympic Games going on in Sports it just creeps into the discussion if handled in an adult manner no harm no foul respectful opinions & harmless opinions are nice & a learning process about those we visit with daily & it gives us a window to see into the hearts of folks whose opinions we'v come to know thru sports, its a clearer picture for me & I thank You .:hat:

I hear you.  It's actually been pretty good so far.  We run into problems when people start painting all conservatives or all liberals with an unflattering brush.

it's just bait for a fight that's going no where.

16 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I hear you.  It's actually been pretty good so far.  We run into problems when people start painting all conservatives or all liberals with an unflattering brush.

I stay away from political agendas pretty much everywhere including this forum. I have a strong dislike of politicians in general and it has nothing to do with their parties. I just think both parties are just different cheeks off the same butt. :scratch:  :D

33 minutes ago, Nadine said:

The problem with this world in general IMO is that people would rather fight than look for ways to agree baby steps are needed in all situations the ability to speak plainly & honestly has been replaced with political correctness instead of common sense,

As a chess player I realize there is black & white & 2 sides to everything if we as adults could just reel in the rhetoric & concentrate on the issues at hand our children & grand children could inherit a world much better than the one that we see currently .

I do have an opinion it is as a child of the sixties & a teen of the seventies we have lost a great deal in a short time IMO.

While  I hope for a better tomorrow with  so much on the line regardless of side you choose it seems once again in my opinion that things will get worse there seems to be so much hate in this world that it boggles my mind that the sixties hippies the flower power generation are now replaced by haters who are so extreme so unforgiving that just talking or disagreeing can led to battery or death in this atmosphere with all the lies everywhere you look its just amazes & mystifies me honesty is a thing of the past without it we are lost .