Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article suggests Colts TE coverage may still be a problem

Coltsfan1953

I think that we will probably still have issues in this area. Losing Freeman didn't help at all. 

I think most teams are ill-equipped to handle a potent QB to TE combo, but we have been especially bad. I hope that Sio can help us out there or that Irving is quicker in coverage after losing weight. 

I do think we have some rookies that might be able to do the job eventually... Green, Morrison, and Bates will all probably get an opportunity to see what they can do against the Gronks of the world in time. 

The Colts will probably be bad at covering TEs again this year, but that won't be because of the safeties, it will be because of the ILBs. 

The article focuses on Clayton Geathers, who played sparingly last year, and TJ Green, who will probably play sparingly this year. Seems like a misplaced focus of attention. 

At least 30 teams in the league have trouble covering TEs.

This is not groundbreaking news.

i'm starting to think most of us here have better ideas for stories.

you have to hit them at the line to throw off timing (which teams seem to neglect cuz they are rushing the QB), and you need to put a beating on them every time they touch the ball.

against the top TEs, its near impossible to stop the completion, you just have to make the tackle and put a lil extra "oomph" behind the tackle.(gang tackle even better).  The top TEs, like gronk are too big and fast for 99% of defenders to cover. They will make the catch, just dont let them get any YAC.

i'd have a LB waiting to earhole them as soon as they catch it.  Kinda zone-ish.  Just level the dude.  There usually isnt time to get to QBs on these plays.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts will probably be bad at covering TEs again this year, but that won't be because of the safeties, it will be because of the ILBs. 

The article focuses on Clayton Geathers, who played sparingly last year, and TJ Green, who will probably play sparingly this year. Seems like a misplaced focus of attention. 

My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

At least 30 teams in the league have trouble covering TEs.

This is not groundbreaking news.

i'm starting to think most of us here have better ideas for stories.

you have to hit them at the line to throw off timing (which teams seem to neglect cuz they are rushing the QB), and you need to put a beating on them every time they touch the ball.

against the top TEs, its near impossible to stop the completion, you just have to make the tackle and put a lil extra "oomph" behind the tackle.(gang tackle even better).  The top TEs, like gronk are too big and fast for 99% of defenders to cover. They will make the catch, just dont let them get any YAC.

i'd have a LB waiting to earhole them as soon as they catch it.  Kinda zone-ish.  Just level the dude.  There usually isnt time to get to QBs on these plays.

You took the words out of my mouth. There's a reason Travis kelcie, walker, gronk, eifert, and graham are so saught after you can't stop them. We had to put our #1 corner on gronk for a reason. Every team has problems with good TE. How many teams were tore up by Dallas clark? Him and manning were unstoppable. This is nothing new.

58 minutes ago, twfish said:

You took the words out of my mouth. There's a reason Travis kelcie, walker, gronk, eifert, and graham are so saught after you can't stop them. We had to put our #1 corner on gronk for a reason. Every team has problems with good TE. How many teams were tore up by Dallas clark? Him and manning were unstoppable. This is nothing new.

Not to mention Tony Gonzalez who has the 2nd most catches in NFL history and a 14 time pro bowler.

With an improved pass rush that problem can be solve. It needs to come from with the interior of our defensive line. That's what this years strength will be. We'll have a great rotation with the depth we have. That's just what I truly believe. 

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

With an improved pass rush that problem can be solve. It needs to come from with the interior of our defensive line. That's what this years strength will be. We'll have a great rotation with the depth we have. That's just what I truly believe. 

You don't cover the TE with a LB or a safety, you cover him by getting after his QB. You have to force them to use him as an extra pass protector.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

You don't cover the TE with a LB or a safety, you cover him by getting after his QB. You have to force them to use him as an extra pass protector.

Actually, next to a good running game, the TE is the QBs best friend when the opposing defense is getting to the QB more quickly than "normal".  Slot receivers can be effective too, but the TE is key in those situations, imo. TEs tend to run shorter, quicker developing routes.

Idk why some think freemen was so great in coverage he also couldn't cover tight ends for anything so what difference does it make that he's not here..had the issue with him here and well

have it without until proven otherwise 

22 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Actually, next to a good running game, the TE is the QBs best friend when the opposing defense is getting to the QB more quickly than "normal".  Slot receivers can be effective too, but the TE is key in those situations, imo. TEs tend to run shorter, quicker developing routes.

We have more of a problem with TEs down the seam, so I would consider that a win for our defense. 

Rbs are typically used to pickup blitzes between the tackles. TE are used more to chip or double team the outside rush.

On 6/1/2016 at 4:50 PM, Superman said:

I agree with the first part, only partially with the second part.  With so many teams running 12 and 11 personnel at or greater than 60-70% of the time, sub packages are becoming the new base.  And to top it off, the 'Big Nickel' is becoming a new hot trend.  That is where the third DB is another safety, not another corner.

I get the feeling we will be trying to get Green up to speed to be able to play the slot in 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 schemes; not just this year, but fore the future as well.  I see getting a ball hawk safety on next years draft or FA list for sure to be a deep back safety.  But I have a hunch they see Green as a potential Eric Berry type of safety for us when developed (gosh, wee can only hope!)  Maybe he can one day line up on the TE in 2 - 4 - 5 like Eric Berry can in KC as below-

ErBrry_zpsjcskmtvl.png

I like we seem to be going for better run stop and new look defensive backfield.  We may have teething and growing pains, but I feel it will really pay off sooner than we think.

7 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

We have more of a problem with TEs down the seam, so I would consider that a win for our defense. 

Rbs are typically used to pickup blitzes between the tackles. TE are used more to chip or double team the outside rush.

I was referring more to the fact that running the ball eliminates pass rush problem cuz QB doesnt have the ball and hitting quick short passes (like NE does alot) doesnt give pass rush enuff time.

i wasnt referring to RB or TE blocking responsibilities. I am aware of what they are.

On 6/1/2016 at 5:53 PM, LockeDown said:

That should mean they have trouble stopping our TE....I hope anyways.

So you don`t understand that our TE`s are SLOW? Hmmm!

For anyone that was watching, Geathers showed he has the speed to cover
 top TE`s. In his limited playing time i watched him show some very good coverage downfield.
  Give the kid some time Please!!
 Clearly our 2nd rounder is Raw. But he will no doubt be forced to play some

next season. There is no reason at this time to expect our new mismash of
defenders to be more than very mediocre so what is the big deal.
 The Monster D is YEARS behind schedule under Grigs/Pagano.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree with the first part, only partially with the second part.  With so many teams running 12 and 11 personnel at or greater than 60-70% of the time, sub packages are becoming the new base.  And to top it off, the 'Big Nickel' is becoming a new hot trend.  That is where the third DB is another safety, not another corner.

I get the feeling we will be trying to get Green up to speed to be able to play the slot in 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 schemes; not just this year, but fore the future as well.  I see getting a ball hawk safety on next years draft or FA list for sure to be a deep back safety.  But I have a hunch they see Green as a potential Eric Berry type of safety for us when developed (gosh, wee can only hope!)  Maybe he can one day line up on the TE in 2 - 4 - 5 like Eric Berry can in KC as below-

ErBrry_zpsjcskmtvl.png

I like we seem to be going for better run stop and new look defensive backfield.  We may have teething and growing pains, but I feel it will really pay off sooner than we think.

I personally don't think Green is ready to play the slot. I think he'd be better off on the back end, and put Geathers in the slot in that same dime backer role that he was used in last year. 

But overall, I agree, I think that big nickel package is going to be part of the plan, and if Green can get 400+ reps because of it, that will be good.

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So you don`t understand that our TE`s are SLOW? Hmmm!

For anyone that was watching, Geathers showed he has the speed to cover
 top TE`s. In his limited playing time i watched him show some very good coverage downfield.
  Give the kid some time Please!!
 Clearly our 2nd rounder is Raw. But he will no doubt be forced to play some

next season. There is no reason at this time to expect our new mismash of
defenders to be more than very mediocre so what is the big deal.
 The Monster D is YEARS behind schedule under Grigs/Pagano.

No, I don't understand.  I do understand that Fleener is faster than Jason Witten, but is worse...and about the same speed as Antonio Gates but is worse.    

16 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

No, I don't understand.  I do understand that Fleener is faster than Jason Witten, but is worse...and about the same speed as Antonio Gates but is worse.    

You are stuck in the past. Written and Gates are bad examples to use anymore and have been for a couple of years.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I personally don't think Green is ready to play the slot. I think he'd be better off on the back end, and put Geathers in the slot in that same dime backer role that he was used in last year. 

But overall, I agree, I think that big nickel package is going to be part of the plan, and if Green can get 400+ reps because of it, that will be good.

Yeah, I agree. In fact, our second rounder isn't ready for anything... yet.  Let's wait until pads are on and then see what Pagano and company do with him at that point.  See how far the kid can go in the off season and training camp. Then see if skills allow him to play early in the 2016 season....

But sooner or later... it's gonna happen.  Big Nickel city...