Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just watched Florida at Bama

Coffeedrinker

This is a Morrison video but I thought people would like it because it has the Colts first round pick and Morrison.

After watching this, my son and I agree... we were not very impressed with Morrison.  He's hesitant, doesn't attack and when giving a choice between which hole he thought the running back was going to hit, he often went to the wrong hole.

On the other hand, I came away more impressed by Kelly than I was previously.  The guy is just so quick off the snap, worked well with his guards, got out to the 2nd level so smooth and so fast and maintained his balance and form while pass blocking.

Just now, Lef said:

Based upon their press conference, Pagano and Grigson couldn't be more excited about that draft pick (Morrison).  Maybe they missed those highlights?

1 minute ago, Lef said:

Based upon their press conference, Pagano and Grigson couldn't be more excited about that draft pick. Maybe they missed those highlights?

Ofcourse they are going to say they are excited, what else would they say? 

"Well, we draft Morrison but we don't really have a lot of hope that he is going to do anything for our team."

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ofcourse they are going to say they are excited, what else would they say? 

"Well, we draft Morrison but we don't really have a lot of hope that he is going to do anything for our team."

Well there is the fact they drafted him in the 4th round.... I don't think they were merely paying lip service otherwise they wouldn't have drafted him in the 4th.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I've seen video of other games with Morrison that looked More impressive.

I just watched the Ole Miss game and he looked better in that but still not impressive.  He seems to be more a product of being surrounded by great talent than his play.

I will say though he seems faster than his timed speed so that is good.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

I just watched the Ole Miss game and he looked better in that but still not impressive.  He seems to be more a product of being surrounded by great talent than his play.

I think the Alabama game is his worst, at least that I've seen. 

As for Kelly, just something that sticks out in that Florida game, his RG partner isn't very good.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the Alabama game is his worst, at least that I've seen. 

As for Kelly, just something that sticks out in that Florida game, his RG partner isn't very good.

I didn't pay much attention to the RG.

I didn't notice the LT on several occassions, he is a very good as well.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I guess the fact that they drafted him means he's a good linebacker.

Not what I said, but you were almost insinuating that they don't think he's good and they were just saying that because they drafted him. They drafted him in the 4th round, they obviously think he can play. 

2 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Not what I said, but you were almost insinuating that they don't think he's good and they were just saying that because they drafted him. They drafted him in the 4th round, they obviously think he can play. 

Ahh, I see what you were trying to say, my bad.  No, you are correct, I'm sure they think he was worth a late 4th round draft pick.

And from watching the Ole Miss and Bama games I would have thought he was a 5th to 7th rounder.  So they drafted him right where those type of players typically go.

2 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I personally was not a big fan of the Morrison pick, but there is no doubt Grigson and Pags raved about him in the post-game press conference. 

And that is all I'm saying, of course they are going to rave about him.  Every team raves about their draft picks.

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is a Morrison video but I thought people would like it because it has the Colts first round pick and Morrison.

After watching this, my son and I agree... we were not very impressed with Morrison.  He's hesitant, doesn't attack and when giving a choice between which hole he thought the running back was going to hit, he often went to the wrong hole.

On the other hand, I came away more impressed by Kelly than I was previously.  The guy is just so quick off the snap, worked well with his guards, got out to the 2nd level so smooth and so fast and maintained his balance and form while pass blocking.

I didnthe same and said the same in another thread.  I was told that Morrison was only 11 months from his ACL.

I noticed he wasn't too anxious to tackle Henry by the second half, but it was pointed out that the Gator D was on the field most of the game.

We'll see soon enough how he does, if he's as good as what the coaches are saying or just this years Herrara.

I guess I'm the only one who thought he played well.

He has no fear and will take on any and all blockers. Shows good short area burst and decent change of direction. Powerful tackler. High motor and plays till the whistle blows. 

Allowed blockers to get into his chest on occasion. Will absolutely slam blockers sometimes instead of trying to slip past them. Over pursed the ball carrier a few plays when he should have made a TFL. 

All around good game against probably the best run blocking team in college football. Definitely has room to improve but has a good motor and attitude. 

10 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I guess I'm the only one who thought he played well.

He has no fear and will take on any and all blockers. Shows good short area burst and decent change of direction. Powerful tackler. High motor and plays till the whistle blows. 

Allowed blockers to get into his chest on occasion. Will absolutely slam blockers sometimes instead of trying to slip past them. Over pursed the ball carrier a few plays when he should have made a TFL. 

All around good game against probably the best run blocking team in college football. Definitely has room to improve but has a good motor and attitude. 

I agree.  I thought he did okay.  I didn't watch his dlineman too much, but I think they had a tougher day.

Obviously with his size he's going to lose most times when an olineman has a chance to blast him.  I thought the times he took on the blocker straight up, he stood up the lineman and sort of stacked up the play a few times. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  I thought he did okay.  I didn't watch his dlineman too much, but I think they had a tougher day.

Obviously with his size he's going to lose most times when an olineman has a chance to blast him.  I thought the times he took on the blocker straight up, he stood up the lineman and sort of stacked up the play a few times. 

The interior of Florida's defensive line got blown up quite a few times. Good thing we got Kelly haha. I'm excited to see what Morrison can do. I think he has a chance to carve out an important role in our defense. 

I don't think he's a bad player, I think he's a different player.   Kelly has talent and uses it.  Clark and Green have great potential that the FO believes they will reach.  Morrison probably maxed out his talent years ago.  He is an overachiever with heart and toughness.  I think he does exactly what he was picked to do.  2 downs and stuff the run and get the team fired up with a big hit.  If he is unable to do that, then he is a bust but everything sure points to him being able to do that. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure it is always fair to use match-ups against Alabama to grade a player's performance.  I know it was the SEC Championship game, but Alabama (ranked #2 at the time) was a far superior team than Florida (ranked #18).  As SP_21 pointed out, Florida's DL was frequently getting blown up by 'Bama's OL.

As an ILB, your play is often dictated by the DL play.  Darron Lee's draft profile on nfl.com has a quote from an AFC Executive that says Ragland (ILB for 'Bama) had a lot of tackles and made plays because he was behind a very good DL.  This happens quite frequently in college (and pro) football -- where a player puts up big numbers because he is in a good scheme and gets a lot of support from his surrounding cast (there were several instances in the Dungy era where we let LB's walk because they put up numbers which were a by-product of the scheme fit -- Mike Peterson for example.. "Mike has been a good player for us,'' Polian told The Indianapolis Star. "But [Dungy] made the point that, at these prices, you'd like them to be great players, not good players.'' )

Also, in Morrison's case, it sounds like he should have taken a medical red-shirt last year.  He was not healthy/full-health all year.  I think if we give him some 'bigs' up front (which, if healthy with Art Jones and H. Anderson, I think we can do), he will do just fine once he's fully recovered.

Here's the quote on Ragland:

"Don't get overly excited about Ragland making a lot of plays behind those tackles at Alabama. It won't be that way in the pros. Lee had talent on his defense too, but he's a natural three-down player who can cover and blitz. He's a much better playmaker than Ragland." -- AFC executive

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's why one was drafted in the first,   and the other one wasn't 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Then not only does he fit well in Indy now; he would have fit in here for a while.

Morrison is certainly the worst pick of the Colts picks but I would only rate it a B, not any lower after watching as many games and/or game clips as I could from youtube videos.  I believe he was still dealing with an injury for his combine or pro day 40.  so the speed is not representative.

I watch every Gator game.  Have for nearly a decade.  I just don't see what Morrison can do for us.  UF runs the cover 3 similar to what Dan Quinn brought from UF to SEA and ATL.  Morrison's coverage skills are below average IMO and that's zone.  He would probably get roasted in man.  He's an above average tackler but he's not a guy who blasts through the hole and makes plays in the backfield.  Maybe in a man system he will attack faster since his assignment is the RB/TE instead of playing his zone.

26 minutes ago, tikyle said:

I watch every Gator game.  Have for nearly a decade.  I just don't see what Morrison can do for us.  UF runs the cover 3 similar to what Dan Quinn brought from UF to SEA and ATL.  Morrison's coverage skills are below average IMO and that's zone.  He would probably get roasted in man.  He's an above average tackler but he's not a guy who blasts through the hole and makes plays in the backfield.  Maybe in a man system he will attack faster since his assignment is the RB/TE instead of playing his zone.

Good to hear from someone who's familiar with him and the Gators.  Thanks.

Another guy (like Green) that we must not be seeing what the coaches saw.  People keep saying he wasn't a bad player, and he's recovering from injury.  That's not exactly an overwhelming endorsement.

Some said it's not fair to judge him from the Bama game.  Well, when I look at a prospect, I want to see how he does against his best competition.  He's not going to see anyone worse than Bama in the pros (unless we play the Browns).

We could have taken Blake Martinez, who was a tackling machine for Stanford.  Maybe they think Morrison has more upside.

I wish him well, as I do all of our new players.  But I have to ask - what makes anyone think he's better than Herrera? 

12 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I'm not sure it is always fair to use match-ups against Alabama to grade a player's performance.  I know it was the SEC Championship game, but Alabama (ranked #2 at the time) was a far superior team than Florida (ranked #18).  As SP_21 pointed out, Florida's DL was frequently getting blown up by 'Bama's OL.

As an ILB, your play is often dictated by the DL play.  Darron Lee's draft profile on nfl.com has a quote from an AFC Executive that says Ragland (ILB for 'Bama) had a lot of tackles and made plays because he was behind a very good DL.  This happens quite frequently in college (and pro) football -- where a player puts up big numbers because he is in a good scheme and gets a lot of support from his surrounding cast (there were several instances in the Dungy era where we let LB's walk because they put up numbers which were a by-product of the scheme fit -- Mike Peterson for example.. "Mike has been a good player for us,'' Polian told The Indianapolis Star. "But [Dungy] made the point that, at these prices, you'd like them to be great players, not good players.'' )

Also, in Morrison's case, it sounds like he should have taken a medical red-shirt last year.  He was not healthy/full-health all year.  I think if we give him some 'bigs' up front (which, if healthy with Art Jones and H. Anderson, I think we can do), he will do just fine once he's fully recovered.

Here's the quote on Ragland:

"Don't get overly excited about Ragland making a lot of plays behind those tackles at Alabama. It won't be that way in the pros. Lee had talent on his defense too, but he's a natural three-down player who can cover and blitz. He's a much better playmaker than Ragland." -- AFC executive

1.  Alabama is the perfect team to judge, the worst team in the NFL would still destroy the best college football team.  Plus I was not judging his entire career or even his drafting, I was very particular that based on this game I was not impressed.

2.  My impressed or not impressed had nothing to do with tackles so I was not looking at how his DL helped him, it was based on running around blockers, hitting wrong holes, be hesitant to fill the hole, poor tackling technique and overall poor play.  Heck, one time he got blocked out of the play by a WR as the QB scrambled for a first down right in front of him.

3.  Injury is a legitimate point.

4.  Not sure why you're quoting things about Ragland.  But yes, it's a team game and if the players around you a better, then you will look better and the team will be better.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good to hear from someone who's familiar with him and the Gators.  Thanks.

Another guy (like Green) that we must not be seeing what the coaches saw.  People keep saying he wasn't a bad player, and he's recovering from injury.  That's not exactly an overwhelming endorsement.

Some said it's not fair to judge him from the Bama game.  Well, when I look at a prospect, I want to see how he does against his best competition.  He's not going to see anyone worse than Bama in the pros (unless we play the Browns).

We could have taken Blake Martinez, who was a tackling machine for Stanford.  Maybe they think Morrison has more upside.

I wish him well, as I do all of our new players.  But I have to ask - what makes anyone think he's better than Herrera? 

Smonroe, I know we don't agree on everything but when we do agree, I think I may just ask you to responde, you are so much more succinct and straightforward than I am.

I will say, I am willing to give a little leeway to Green because he has only played the position for a couple of years and his mistakes in the Bama game seemed to be more a function of inexperience than poor fundamentals.  And his mistakes in that game were huge, if a Colts players gave up two huge TDs like that in a game the fans would be screaming for the team to cut him the next day.

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1.  Alabama is the perfect team to judge, the worst team in the NFL would still destroy the best college football team.  Plus I was not judging his entire career or even his drafting, I was very particular that based on this game I was not impressed.

2.  My impressed or not impressed had nothing to do with tackles so I was not looking at how his DL helped him, it was based on running around blockers, hitting wrong holes, be hesitant to fill the hole, poor tackling technique and overall poor play.  Heck, one time he got blocked out of the play by a WR as the QB scrambled for a first down right in front of him.

4.  Not sure why you're quoting things about Ragland.  But yes, it's a team game and if the players around you a better, then you will look better and the team will be better.

How can you not take into consideration the fact that the defensive line was getting blown up? There's not much a linebacker can do when lineman blast through to the second level in a nanosecond. 

As for your analysis of his play, I don't agree at all. I felt as though he was patient  and took on blockers pretty well. Running around blocker?? More like slammed into them and causing havoc (would like to see more slipped tackles). 

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

How can you not take into consideration the fact that the defensive line was getting blown up? There's not much a linebacker can do when lineman blast through to the second level in a nanosecond. 

As for your analysis of his play, I don't agree at all. I felt as though he was patient  and took on blockers pretty well. Running around blocker?? More like slammed into them and causing havoc (would like to see more slipped tackles). 

It's easy to see him standing back there waiting for the action to come to him, it's easy to see him getting taken out of the play by a WR, it's easy to see him jumping on the pile after the play is over, it's easy to see him not taking Henry head on but actually  taking out his own guy that had Henry stood up and allowing Henry to score a TD.  It's easy to see him launch himself at the ball carrier, leaving his feet and using poor technique, I don't count it against him if a lineman got out and blocked him, it's all the plays when he was not directly blocked by a lineman that he could have had an impact on but didn't.  And there were a lot of those plays in the Bama game.  There were fewer in the Ole Miss game.

14 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm always amazed by the names that go off the board around the league beginning in the mid to late 3rd round. By the 4th round you can see the disparity between how teams rate players and that they aren't willing to roll the dice on whether a guy they love will be there a round later.  

Morrison might fit that scenario for the Colts.  Not much to like at ILB after Ragland goes in the 2nd and Morrison is clearly their highest rated ILB at 125.  It's fair to wonder if they had him rated higher than other players or if they just didn't like the LB prospects behind him....which would be easy to understand.  There just wasn't much to like at ILB or OLB after round 2.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's easy to see him standing back there waiting for the action to come to him, it's easy to see him getting taken out of the play by a WR, it's easy to see him jumping on the pile after the play is over, it's easy to see him not taking Henry head on but actually  taking out his own guy that had Henry stood up and allowing Henry to score a TD.  It's easy to see him launch himself at the ball carrier, leaving his feet and using poor technique, I don't count it against him if a lineman got out and blocked him, it's all the plays when he was not directly blocked by a lineman that he could have had an impact on but didn't.  And there were a lot of those plays in the Bama game.  There were fewer in the Ole Miss game.

Two people can see the same thing differently. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I need to watch that Ole Miss game and a few others.  

I'm laughing at all the negativity in this thread. People don't understand projection. Not everyone will be good right away. These are the same people that doubted (and some still do) T.Y. Hilton and he's posted 3 1,000 yard seasons and could very well break the franchise record for receiving yards. He has also thoroughly embarrassed the top DBs in the league.

The same people thought Moncrief was a luxury pick and now he's the 2nd best receiver on the team. These same people are going to change their tune on Morrison once he's fully healthy.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm laughing at all the negativity in this thread. People don't understand projection. Not everyone will be good right away. These are the same people that doubted (and some still do) T.Y. Hilton and he's posted 3 1,000 yard seasons and could very well break the franchise record for receiving yards. He has also thoroughly embarrassed the top DBs in the league.

The same people thought Moncrief was a luxury pick and now he's the 2nd best receiver on the team. These same people are going to change their tune on Morrison once he's fully healthy.

Not trying to be negative.  Just trying to understand what the coaches saw in him that would warrant a 4th round pick.  I think most had him as a 7th rounder.  Again, I hope he works out but TBH I have more hope for Meggitt.

16 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Our new DC can work with that kid though and make him better I think he faced a really good O-line in that game so we will see I would have went differently with the pick myself but I think he will be ok. It was an awesome draft.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1. The best team in the NFL is typically not light years ahead of the worst team in the NFL -- I highly doubt there is any team in the NFL that is as much better than another team than Alabama was better than Florida.  Alabama has probably been the closest thing to an NFL team in college football over the past 7 years, and they dominated Florida in multiple aspects of the game, one major aspect being the 'Bama OL destroyed the Florida DL.

2. I'm not sure you can judge him based on hesitation hitting the hole, or choosing a wrong hole without putting significant weight to the fact that his DL was getting manhandled most of the game.

3. I agree.

4.  I'm quoting things about Ragland, because he was a heavily hyped ILB coming into the draft, and part of that reason is because as an ILB he had the luxury of playing behind a stacked DL.  Also, because Ragland was on the winning side in that game -- had he and Morrison switched teams, there is a good chance Ragland looks poor in that particular game and Morrison looks better.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything -- and I get you're "not judging his entire career...", but to pick one game to write about his play, I'm not sure 'Bama is the most fair assessment.