Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says Manning's Health Will Not Impact If They Take A Qb

GoColts8818

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7481247

He wont commit to which guy they are going to take but at the end of the interview he says even if Manning is healthy they are going to take a QB.

He also says that Peyton Manning is not retiring today but doesn't say he's a lock to come back either.

Not major news to most people I am sure but maybe it will help squash a little of the trade the pick talk beacuse Irsay does seem to have ruled that out.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope it's Luck...I really think this kid's going to be good and fundamentally sound. RGIII may be too but he's a little small for an NFL QB. He could turn out to be really good but Luck would seem to be the safe pick. I'm not sure either one of them faced a really tough defense this year and the bowl game Baylor played in was a joke from a defensive perspective. Washington looked worse than IU on defense. That was disappointing because it would have been nice to see him face a decent team. I guess we'll see...

I really hope it's Luck...I really think this kid's going to be good and fundamentally sound. RGIII may be too but he's a little small for an NFL QB. He could turn out to be really good but Luck would seem to be the safe pick. I'm not sure either one of them faced a really tough defense this year and the bowl game Baylor played in was a joke from a defensive perspective. Washington looked worse than IU on defense. That was disappointing because it would have been nice to see him face a decent team. I guess we'll see...

It's definitely Luck. RGIII just doesn't sound like a good fit for our system. We need an exceptionally intelligent pocket passer, period.

It's definitely Luck. RGIII just doesn't sound like a good fit for our system. We need an exceptionally intelligent pocket passer, period.

Right now we have no coach and no system so how do we know that RBIII would not be a good fit? If Irsay were to pick him then the system would be tailored for him.

He him-hawed the whole thing. I listened to it. He didn't say we were taking a QB, only that it's been a consideration for a few years. He also kept using Luck and Griffin in the same breath, despite ESPN's attempt to focus on Luck.

In other words, this was a whole lot of nothing.

I'm always amazed that the 'subtle art' is lost on our modern culture/society.People listen to him(irsay)tweet and talk about how he's going to draft luck NO MATTER WHAT.Of course he's going to say this.What else is he going to say.He's a business man...plan and simple.If he declares(i really wish he would,just to silence all the sheep's voices) that his intention is to trade the pick,then he'll get an lowball offer from interested teams.Thus WE LOSE come draft day.I think the majority of the NFL fanbase today has no clue whatsoever.We've(you,myself and others) tried to explain(smokescreen to drive the value of the pick higher) this situation many times before.But even the giant CRAYOLA CRAYON approach loses them along the way.This is my last attempt to explain it.I don't know about you,but in the words of 'John coffey':"i'm tired boss...dead tired".

When I deployed to Iraq in 2006 the unit I was with had a saying for all this back and forth talk about who's taking whom in the draft and blah blah blah... we would say "WOOOOOOOORDS!" In otherwords... no substance, just noise. That's all this is. Until we get a coach, coordinators and know what direction the team is going there is no point in speculating who the Colts are picking or not picking.

Just my 2 cents. I don't claim to be an expert. And no, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

He him-hawed the whole thing. I listened to it. He didn't say we were taking a QB, only that it's been a consideration for a few years. He also kept using Luck and Griffin in the same breath, despite ESPN's attempt to focus on Luck.

Did u hear the interview at all? I'm paraphrasing here but he said before manning went down they wanted to get a qb in the 2012 draft didn't expect us to do do poorly but will take a qb at 1 whether it be luck or rg3.

Did u hear the interview at all? I'm paraphrasing here but he said before manning went down they wanted to get a qb in the 2012 draft didn't expect us to do do poorly but will take a qb at 1 whether it be luck or rg3.

He said maybe interested in taking a QUARTERBACK.Why does everybody assume its luck/griffin?The draft has four talented quarterbacks that he might be refering to.

In an interview with ESPN’s Hannah Storm, Irsay was asked if the Colts could pass up a new franchise quarterback, and he answered, “I don’t see that.”

“With Griffin and Luck and the way it’s shaping up at the top of the draft — could very likely go one and two like with Peyton and Ryan Leaf,” Irsay said. “It’s most likely one of those quarterbacks that you really feel is the best player in the draft, and where we’re at moving forward you can’t pass that up. I don’t think anyone would expect that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/irsay-plans-to-draft-luck-or-griffin-even-if-peyton-is-healthy/

It's as if the things he said, weren't said at all, to some of you.

Not a fact.its speculation.He's not a member of the indianapolis colts.

You are right, it is specualtion. However, I would point out that he did mention he would like to draft a QB. It just so happens that we have the first pick. And it also just so happens that a very highly touted QB prospect is projected to be the first pick. So you are right that it is speculation, however, if someone said that there are strong signs that we may be drafting Luck, I would say they have a good point.

Not a fact.its speculation.He's not a member of the indianapolis colts.

How long have you been watching football? NFL coach's dream about getting a QB with the potential of Andrew Luck.. His overall QB skill set is leaps and bounds above RG3.. I know Griffin won the Heisman and all that stuff, but Luck will be the better pro.. You can bank on it....

How long have you been watching football? NFL coach's dream about getting a QB with the potential of Andrew Luck.. His overall QB skill set is leaps and bounds above RG3.. I know Griffin won the Heisman and all that stuff, but Luck will be the better pro.. You can bank on it....

You do not know what your talking about griffin has the stronger arm, more accurate deep ball, more athletic and he's more of a pocket passer than he is a runner.... so how is luck leaps and bounds over him..... luck is gassed because he ran a pro style offense... GMs unlike some of us are smart enough to know that you can learn that its not a gift.

Doogan watch the last question in the interview and listen to his answer. He does everything short of say "We are taking a QB with the top pick in the draft." When he says you can't pass on that that generally means you are going to do it.

I don't know how people are getting he's going to take Luck for sure out of it. I think he is honestly looking at Griffin the third as well but he said pretty clearly they are going to take a QB regardless of Manning's health.

In an interview with ESPN’s Hannah Storm, Irsay was asked if the Colts could pass up a new franchise quarterback, and he answered, “I don’t see that.”

“With Griffin and Luck and the way it’s shaping up at the top of the draft — could very likely go one and two like with Peyton and Ryan Leaf,” Irsay said. “It’s most likely one of those quarterbacks that you really feel is the best player in the draft, and where we’re at moving forward you can’t pass that up. I don’t think anyone would expect that.”

http://profootballta...ton-is-healthy/

It's as if the things he said, weren't said at all, to some of you.

I guess Irsay is going to have to say "we are going to draft a QB with the top pick." Plan and clearly for some people to think we are going to do that but even then I would bet people who want us to trade the pick are going to say he wasn't really saying that because they don't want him to be saying it.

There are a lot of moving parts in this whole thing but the one thing Irsay has never shyed away from is that he wants a QB with the top pick and they wont trade the top pick. Now rather it's going to be Luck or RGIII is up in the air and rather Peyton Manning will be back here or not next year is also up in the air.

He left the door open if something unforseen could happen say like if both Luck and RGIII suffter major injuries between now and the draft or something but it's going to take something like that to change his mind. He's saying about as clear as he can the plan is to take a QB with the top pick.

You do not know what your talking about griffin has the stronger arm, more accurate deep ball, more athletic and he's more of a pocket passer than he is a runner.... so how is luck leaps and bounds over him..... luck is gassed because he ran a pro style offense... GMs unlike some of us are smart enough to know that you can learn that its not a gift.

Lol we will see the next few years.

He said maybe interested in taking a QUARTERBACK.Why does everybody assume its luck/griffin?The draft has four talented quarterbacks that he might be refering to.

Ur dq man crush continues. He has said several times the colts are taking a qb with the first pick.

Just worth reminding people when Leaf came out he was thought to have a stronger arm than Manning was thought to be the better pure athlete than Manning. How did that work out? The only point I am trying to make is that you can't judge this based on physical talents alone.

I am NOT saying RGIII is going to be the next Ryan Leaf because I think Leaf had other issues that stopped him from living up to his hype that I don't think RGIII has and I think RGIII is going to be a very good QB in this league. I just happen to think Luck will be better.

Oh I don't know maybe because they are the only two Irsay mentions and maybe because they are the only two thought to be worthy of the top pick and Irsay has said they aren't going to trade the pick and just said in this interview they are going to take a QB...

Yeah I have no idea where people are getting the idea it's going to be Luck or Griffen from. We are going to shock everyone when we take the Moore kid from Bosie State number one overall!

I just dont see the colts going after a qb like rg3 myself. I dont think a mike vick/cam newton type of qb is gonna last long, but thats jmo. I like a ceribral qb like Luck. If you want your draft pick to learn from Manning, why not draft a Manning esq qb? Ok, and speculating Manning is playing.. got it.

http://espn.go.com/v...clip?id=7481247

He wont commit to which guy they are going to take but at the end of the interview he says even if Manning is healthy they are going to take a QB.

He also says that Peyton Manning is not retiring today but doesn't say he's a lock to come back either.

Not major news to most people I am sure but maybe it will help squash a little of the trade the pick talk beacuse Irsay does seem to have ruled that out.

You're right....again he said nothing new here.

Irsay has NEVER said he'd consider trading the pick (and he cannot trade Manning until, after March 8 ) and I must assume that's the first thing he told Grigson when the subject came up.

So, while its still fun to specualte on what we SHOULD do....what we better do is: Get ready for Pey-Luck.

Oh I don't know maybe because they are the only two Irsay mentions and maybe because they are the only two thought to be worthy of the top pick and Irsay has said they aren't going to trade the pick and just said in this interview they are going to take a QB...

Yeah I have no idea where people are getting the idea it's going to be Luck or Griffen from. We are going to shock everyone when we take the Moore kid from Bosie State number one overall!

He won't believe we r going with luck even when he takes his first snap and manning has retired/moved on. He will still say the colts r just going to let everyone see how good luck is, then trade him for a bounty of picks and manning will come out of retirement to join the colts again on our way to not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6 but 7 championships. Then manning will play to be 55 and then we take mannings twins in the draft one being our qb the other being our star WR and the goat will be our new owner/HC/OC/Back up qb. Very exciting

He won't believe we r going with luck even when he takes his first snap and manning has retired/moved on. He will still say the colts r just going to let everyone see how good luck is, then trade him for a bounty of picks and manning will come out of retirement to join the colts again on our way to not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6 but 7 championships. Then manning will play to be 55 and then we take mannings twins in the draft one being our qb the other being our star WR and the goat will be our new owner/HC/OC/Back up qb. Very exciting

Like Lions fans with Barry Sanders?

Well, if Griffin can learn more, doesn't that mean that Luck can learn, too? Is Luck just going to stop and say "Done! I've learned enough of that stuff". Why do you people think Luck is already in a pro style system, calling his own plays? It's because he can do it. If he had a rocket arm, none of you would be saying a word. You don't like him simply because he likes to lay it in there as opposed to rifling it. Pro receivers always talk about a "catchable" ball and he will have the most catchable ball there is.

Well, if Griffin can learn more, doesn't that mean that Luck can learn, too? Is Luck just going to stop and say "Done! I've learned enough of that stuff". Why do you people think Luck is already in a pro style system, calling his own plays? It's because he can do it. If he had a rocket arm, none of you would be saying a word. You don't like him simply because he likes to lay it in there as opposed to rifling it. Pro receivers always talk about a "catchable" ball and he will have the most catchable ball there is.

I think luck has a great arm. I've seen him make perfect 35 yard throws outside the hash on the run with ease and I've seen him stay in the pocket and put some heat on a 45 yard throw. I've never seen him once miss a WR because he didn't have the arm to get it there. He's extremely accurate in the pocket and on the run and he can run the ball as well if pocket breaks down. He's been the teams second leading rusher i think every year. He can literally do it all and will only get better with some nfl coaches and a good system.

lmao I'm putting this in my sig as the greatest post of all-time.