Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt Anderson to the Bills...

Devildog

never liked him, he even seemed to biff on special teams a lot, when that was suppose to be his strong suit,

Then when he started at safety it was bad, then the whole fake punt debacle was embarrassing, neverless good luck colt!

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I will never forgive Pagano for this. its 100% on him. Whalen just did what he was told to do. Anderson was an innocent recipient of this infamous play. 

Um, was Pagano on the field? Nope. 

Any person with even a basic understanding of football knew not to snap the darn ball. How is that Chuck's fault? 

Even if he thought Pags wanted him to do so, everybody & their mamma knew what NOT to do at all costs. 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Um, was Pagano on the field? Nope. 

Any person with even a basic understanding of football knew not to snap the darn ball. How is that Chuck's fault? 

Even if he thought Pags wanted him to do so, everybody & their mamma knew what NOT to do at all costs. 

I hear what your saying however I have to side with the Pagano being at fault here. It was a trick play. Trick plays are usually on the coaches since it's a specialty thing and those arent common place. Plus I think if I recall correctly someone else(an injured player perhaps)had actually been the guy practicing the play in practice and not Colt Anderson...he was a fill in if I remember the story right. So, I have to blame Pagano, if you dont have the right people in place dont run it.

9 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I will never forgive Pagano for this. its 100% on him. Whalen just did what he was told to do. Anderson was an innocent recipient of this infamous play. 

no no no and no.  From what I read... when the practiced the play, it was not Whalen at center.  i believe a few guys got hurt and whalen ended up in the lineup and somehow at C.  The play was to NEVER be snapped and was only designed to draw the defense offsides.  Whalen panicked and when he heard a hard count, he snapped it.  

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

no no no and no.  From what I read... when the practiced the play, it was not Whalen at center.  i believe a few guys got hurt and whalen ended up in the lineup and somehow at C.  The play was to NEVER be snapped and was only designed to draw the defense offsides.  Whalen panicked and when he heard a hard count, he snapped it.  

Pagano should have called timeout. Whalen could not see what was going on around him as good as Anderson. They should have bailed out of that play and quick kicked or something. But bottom line it was Pagano that set up the play and even if by miracle it worked we were still offside. 

100% on Pagano for even trying that crap in a one score game against NE

8 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I hear what your saying however I have to side with the Pagano being at fault here. It was a trick play. Trick plays are usually on the coaches since it's a specialty thing and those arent common place. Plus I think if I recall correctly someone else(an injured player perhaps)had actually been the guy practicing the play in practice and not Colt Anderson...he was a fill in if I remember the story right. So, I have to blame Pagano, if you dont have the right people in place dont run it.

I will admit that trick plays typically require clearance from the HC & no player attempts a change in either the formation of a play or how it is executed live during a game without a green light of approval first TAC. And maybe there is something in the psyche of Colts coaches, players, & fans whenever we play NE to attempt gimmicks we wouldn't deploy against any other team because the Patriots win so much & almost always play in the Championship Game like clockwork. 

However, whether a new guy is in the formation with you or not, you can't expect Pag's to hold your hand & remind you what must be done & not done here. Everybody in the NFL is a grown man. This isn't pee wee football we're talking about here. The buck stops with the Colts on the field on special teams plain & simple. 

To quote Steelers HC Mike Tomlin, "We don't live in the excuses world." 

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I will admit that trick plays typically require clearance from the HC & no player attempts a change in either the formation of a play or how it is executed live during a game without a green light of approval first TAC. And maybe there is something in the psyche of Colts coaches, players, & fans whenever we play NE to attempt gimmicks we wouldn't deploy against any other team because the Patriots win so much & almost always play in the Championship Game like clockwork. 

However, whether a new guy is in the formation with you or not, you can't expect Pag's to hold your hand & remind you what must be done & not done here. Everybody in the NFL is a grown man. This isn't pee wee football we're talking about here. The buck stops with the Colts on the field on special teams plain & simple. 

To quote Steelers HC Mike Tomlin, "We don't live in the excuses world." 

Sorry, I just dont agree. If the point of the play was to never, ever snap the ball then OK. He should have known better, I'll buy into that. But if there was some sort of decision to be made based on  how NE lined up then this is on Pagano. I wouldn't say that if the guy who actually practiced the play had been in there because then he should have known. Maybe its a 60/40 blame on that. Bottom line is, it was stupid to begin with and Pagano should have known better than to even try it. Blaming Colt Anderson 100%? Sorry, I cant agree with that. One thing you can say about Chuck is he isnt going to make excuses as you say but it was a boneheaded call from the get go. But hey that's football, people make bad decisons and mistakes and they mess up just like in real life.

21 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Pagano should have called timeout. Whalen could not see what was going on around him as good as Anderson. They should have bailed out of that play and quick kicked or something. But bottom line it was Pagano that set up the play and even if by miracle it worked we were still offside. 

100% on Pagano for even trying that crap in a one score game against NE

The play was designed to absolutely NEVER have the ball be snapped.  It was 100% to draw the opponent offside.  Whalen did not need to "see what was going on around him" to know on a play that the ball is never to be snapped, don't snap the ball.  He had a dumba$$ attack and snapped the ball.  Pagano designed a play, told them what to do on the play, and Whalen did something else

12 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Sorry, I just dont agree. If the point of the play was to never, ever snap the ball then OK. He should have known better, I'll buy into that. But if there was some sort of decision to be made based on  how NE lined up then this is on Pagano. I wouldn't say that if the guy who actually practiced the play had been in there because then he should have known. Maybe its a 60/40 blame on that. Bottom line is, it was stupid to begin with and Pagano should have known better than to even try it. Blaming Colt Anderson 100%? Sorry, I cant agree with that. One thing you can say about Chuck is he isnt going to make excuses as you say but it was a boneheaded call from the get go. But hey that's football, people make bad decisons and mistakes and they mess up just like in real life.

I think we can both agree TAC that hopefully we will never see a debacle like that again that completely unraveled our squad & took us out of sync for the rest of the game. As long as we learn from our mistakes & don't replicate them on cue when we are facing a tough opponent, that's all I really care about. 

Blame doesn't concern me just avoid the same bear trap next time TAC.