Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we need to draft a RB this draft?

Let's face it Frank Gore cannot carry the load himself and we have a bunch of no-name guys as backups. Do we draft a running back in this draft or should we wait for next draft which I heard is pretty deep. I say we wait till next draft around 3rd pick if we did draft in 2016 I would draft in the fourth Jordan Howard

The Colts absolutely need to draft a RB this year. It`s like you said, Gore is old and got a little dinged up last year. Everyone one else on the roster are either unproven or nothing special. Throw in the fact that the Colts are supposedly switching to a ZBS, so how does Gore and the rest adjust to a new scheme??? IMO there are to many question marks to not draft at least one RB. There are some decent backs that should be available in the middle rounds. I have no idea what RB`s fit a ZBS though.   

We don't NEED to draft one, but it wouldn't hurt to throw in a late Round pick to the mix at RB. That being said I think there are more pressing needs on the team atm. Gore is fine for the amount we run, and I think turbin or todman will Duke it out for the number two spot and do fine. Also I wouldn't rule out Varga or Williams,  they are unproven, but it's not like a late Round RB is going to come in and be a seasoned NFL pro. I'm all for giving them a chance before writing them off. If we beef up our line then all of our running backs will benefit,  and between that and having luck back to take the pressure off the run game, I think we will be fine at RB for a season. With the class of 2017 looking like it does, I'd rather wait it out. 

37 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

We don't NEED to draft one, but it wouldn't hurt to throw in a late Round pick to the mix at RB.

With the class of 2017 looking like it does, I'd rather wait it out. 

It never hurts to draft a RB, seeing how often they get injured and so on. David Johnson, Matt Jones, Karlos Williams and Langford were mid round RB`s selected last year who produced to some degree. All will be starting for their respective teams in 2016. There are prospects in this draft just as good. Who in the 2017 class are you referring to as being better than the 2016 class? I don`t have a crystal ball so I don`t no. Fournette???? He`ll probably be a 1st rounder, which doesn`t mean the Colts will have the best chance at drafting him. Waiting until next year because the 2017 class of RB`s is better makes no sense too me. If it was QB or OT I could comprehend it, but not the RB position.

Yes we do need one.  Especially if his name is Elliot or Henry.  Taking a flyer in the late rounds is just that. We have done it for so many years now and it doesn't pan out.  None are currently on our roster.  We need to find a young solid RB soon.  This year is probably it for Gore.  If you want to fix a need you better do it in the first 3 or 4 rounds depending on your draft position.  Anything after that is really pot luck.  Last year we hit it with Good but that doesn't happen to often.  Next year we should be drafting at the end of the draft making this year even more important.  That said I would be okay with taking a RB this year in the first  3 or 4 rounds especially if it really is Elliot or Henry. 

11 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Only if its a 7th rounder or UFA. Too many other needs right now on D and the  O-line. 

Think OLB; ILB; S; DT; CB; as well as C and G. 

I definitely don`t think a back should be selected in the 1-2 rds, but limiting the pick of a RB to 7th or UDFA is ridiculous. The Colts do have a lot of needs and they all won`t be met on draft day. That would kind of be like saying don`t take a potential David Johnson in the 3rd, because we have a lot of other needs. 

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe we'll get an 7th round one or an UDFA but the Colts don't have to get one. They can wait until 2017. There you'll have Fournette, Cook, and Perrine. McCafferry I don't see as an every down back which is why I left his name off.

Two small school kids that' could probably had in 7th maybe UDFA are Coprich and Djarby. Dharby is a transfer from Ky 

Best Player Available means exactly what it means.  If that be a back please take one in the round where we feel a good one will be available and likely to be the best scored player on the board irregardless of need.

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Two small school kids that' could probably had in 7th maybe UDFA are Coprich and Djarby. Dharby is a transfer from Ky 

Coprich could be a real possibility as the Colts have shown interest in him.

If one falls to us (I'm talking about a player falling two or three rounds past where expected; like Ajayi last year), I wouldn't be against the pick.  I don't think it's a "need" right now, though.  The backups we have are QUALITY backups.

No, we don't need to draft one, but it wouldn't surprise me.  We actually have some fairly talented guys going into camp - Turbin, Todman, and Trey Williams should result in at least an acceptable #2.  But Grigson will at least bring in a priority undrafted FA after the draft to take a shot at getting a sleeper upgrade.  I like that Dwayne Washington guy out of U-Dub. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Only if its a 7th rounder or UFA. Too many other needs right now on D and the  O-line. 

Think OLB; ILB; S; DT; CB; as well as C and G. 

That is exactly the kind of philosophy on why we haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher OR a rb to gain 100 in a game since Lincoln was president, lol.

Besides ,we already have a handful of lower talent backs on the roster.

20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

That is exactly the kind of philosophy on why we haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher OR a rb to gain 100 in a game since Lincoln was president, lol.

Well put!

37 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I respect this line of thought, but I tend to blame an inability to run more on interior OL problems, offensive philosophies, and game plans.  100 yard rushers or 1,000 yard seasons should not be a goal for our team.

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Coprich could be a real possibility as the Colts have shown interest in him.

We could get him in the 7th maybe as an UDFA. He's had some off the field stuff small school and then he's only 5'8 210lbs. His 4.38 40 caiught attention. If you look at the numbers he put up at Illnois St the last 2 yrs they are impressive 

Dharby had a good game vs Georgia prior to the transfer has been the leading rusher in the small schoojs every yr

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Drake is a big back. I like big backs and he averaged 6 yards a carry for his career. He's pegged between the 4th and 7th rounds.  In my mind the reality will probably be 5th to 7th round.

As a change of pace RB, he'd be fine. He could also handle KR duties. We don't have a 6th round pick though which is where I'd take him.

But he'll go earlier than he should to a team with a compensatory pick probably. I'd take a different RB with a similar skill set in round 7. What's the round projection on Daniel Lasco?

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

As a change of pace RB, he'd be fine. He could also handle KR duties. We don't have a 6th round pick though which is where I'd take him.

But he'll go earlier than he should to a team with a compensatory pick probably. I'd take a different RB with a similar skill set in round 7. What's the round projection on Daniel Lasco?

I think somewhere between 4-6 for Lasco.  I like Drakes size.  You could add another 10 or 15lbs to that frame. Yes he was more of a change of pace and he'll probably be looked at for that type of role initially, but he's got all the intangibles to be more than a change of pace guy as a zone runner.  Durability seems to be a question, but you could have said that about Frank Gore coming out of college with the double knee injuries, ACL or whatever it was.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think somewhere between 4-6 for Lasco.  I like Drakes size.  You could add another 10 or 15lbs to that frame. Yes he was more of a change of pace and he'll probably be looked at for that type of role initially, but he's got all the intangibles to be more than a change of pace guy as a zone runner.  Durability seems to be a question, but you could have said that about Frank Gore coming out of college with the double knee injuries, ACL or whatever it was.

I'll tell you what though. I'd rather draft Drake than Henry though. Maybe round 4-5 if the value lines up there. It really depends on how things fall.

16 hours ago, MPStack said:

The Colts absolutely need to draft a RB this year. It`s like you said, Gore is old and got a little dinged up last year. Everyone one else on the roster are either unproven or nothing special. Throw in the fact that the Colts are supposedly switching to a ZBS, so how does Gore and the rest adjust to a new scheme??? IMO there are to many question marks to not draft at least one RB. There are some decent backs that should be available in the middle rounds. I have no idea what RB`s fit a ZBS though.   

Gore fits either scheme  because of his ability to see the cut back lane he's done this with the niners a bit. The thing is he'd be our bruiser in that scheme not someone who is going to take that cutback lane and go 50+ yards to the endzone lol

On 4/4/2016 at 1:18 AM, MPStack said:

With Gore I think you're missing the fact that Chud was Gore's offensive coordinator at the University of Miami.  It really won't be a new scheme for Gore. I'm sure he already knows it inside and out.

On 04/04/2016 at 7:35 AM, MPStack said:

I definitely don`t think a back should be selected in the 1-2 rds, but limiting the pick of a RB to 7th or UDFA is ridiculous. The Colts do have a lot of needs and they all won`t be met on draft day. That would kind of be like saying don`t take a potential David Johnson in the 3rd, because we have a lot of other needs. 

It is all about returns on investment.  If we spend a 3rd on a RB, we do it at the expense of our o line or our defense. The extra yds we would theoretically get by having a better number two RB wouldn't be that much. we would give them about 5-10 carries a game and probably wouldn't see more then 1 extra ypc versus who we have, which is being VERY generous, as Jordan todman and Robert turbin both sit at a 4 ypc average already. This small increase would basically be negated by the fact that our total average would drop by either not having a better o line, or by not running the ball as much due to falling behind another team because our defense can't hold. On defense we wouldn't even have to give up more points.  Even having the opposing offense on the field longer due to longer drives will decrease the amount of carries our number two RB will get. 

Also, with the draft there is no real assurance that any RB found in the 3-5 rounds will be a David Johnson.  Chances are they are more then likely a David Cobb or a Cameron Artis-Payne. I would rather play to the strengths of this draft (dt, cb) then spend a third on a RB. When Gore is gone we will absolutely need to replace him, but right now we don't have the luxury of upgrading our number two RB. 

53 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It is all about returns on investment.  If we spend a 3rd on a RB, we do it at the expense of our o line or our defense. 

Kind of like drafting a WR in the 1st round last year. I would say that was at the expense of the defense.  GM`s stick to their draft board`s not our opinions.

56 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Also, with the draft there is no real assurance that any RB found in the 3-5 rounds will be a David Johnson.  Chances are they are more then likely a David Cobb or a Cameron Artis-Payne. I would rather play to the strengths of this draft (dt, cb) then spend a third on a RB. When Gore is gone we will absolutely need to replace him, but right now we don't have the luxury of upgrading our number two RB. 

There is no assurance at any position or round a player is drafted. Like I said, GM`s stick to their draft boards. Nowhere did I imply the Colts must take a RB in rd 3 for a potential David Johnson. However, if there is a RB with the potential to come in and make an impact, maybe also possibly start, then I`m all for. That's how the draft works. GM`s don`t limit a position to a certain round in the draft other than maybe kicker or punter.

On April 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM, SCst said:

Please NO! We have so many other glaring needs than RB. We only have six picks. I would hate to see one used on a RB. We can get one next year draft with a better RB class.

Six picks isn't enough to fix all our issues anyways. BPA and you have to look ahead. Depending on the compensation for the loss of Fleener and Freeman, the Colts will have around 8 or so picks for the 2017 draft.

Ive been against drafting a RB for awhile but it's better to get a 5th round RB that's BPA than reach on some defensive or offensive lineman that's not as good.

I still say we don't NEED a RB, but a late round one (which is where I think they'll see good value) won't hurt.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Kind of like drafting a WR in the 1st round last year. I would say that was at the expense of the defense.  GM`s stick to their draft board`s not our opinions.

There is no assurance at any position or round a player is drafted. Like I said, GM`s stick to their draft boards. Nowhere did I imply the Colts must take a RB in rd 3 for a potential David Johnson. However, if there is a RB with the potential to come in and make an impact, maybe also possibly start, then I`m all for. That's how the draft works. GM`s don`t limit a position to a certain round in the draft other than maybe kicker or punter.

haha to be fair I was very against the Dorsett pick, still not sure if it will be a good return for what we spent. Time will tell though. I will be one of the first to admit I was wrong if he excels for us. 

As I said in my original post on this topic, I'm not against getting a RB. I just think it isn't something we absolutely NEED to draft. When you use the term need it means we will most likely be reaching and not taking BPA. If they are BPA then by all means pull the trigger. Hell, I'd even be OK with it if zeke fell to us at 18 and we took him. He's good value there and would probably be BPA.

But just like you are arguing not to limit us to taking a RB in the late rounds, I think we shouldnt commit beforehand that we have to draft one at all unless the right circumstances come up. I think we will be fine this season with what we have, but if someone falls in our lap then all the better. I just don't see it as likely that a RB will be BPA (especially in earlier rounds) with positions being deeper in other areas of need.  I feel like we would almost have to reach to get a RB in round 3. 

On 4/4/2016 at 11:27 AM, SCst said:

Please NO! We have so many other glaring needs than RB. We only have six picks. I would hate to see one used on a RB. We can get one next year draft with a better RB class.

i completely agree. The Defense badly needs upgrading at OLB, ILB, S, and NT. The O-line needs at least two picks. Because the Colts have decided to stop spending large $ in free agency ( partly out of necessity ), the draft becomes exponentially more important. No RBs unless late. 

9 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I think we should tank and go 0-16 and draft Leonard Fournette 1st overall next year!!!

(It's a joke, so don't get madlmao)

haha Seriously though, that kid from LSU is phenomenal. Going into the NCAA as a junior this coming year, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him enter the 2017 draft.

He's got great power & breakaway speed. If he decides to stay in school and enter the NFL in the 2018 draft, all the better IMO. However, I think he would be an easy Top 5 pick in either draft as long as he stays healthy.