Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we need to draft a RB this draft?

14 hours ago, Hoose said:

i completely agree. The Defense badly needs upgrading at OLB, ILB, S, and NT. The O-line needs at least two picks. Because the Colts have decided to stop spending large $ in free agency ( partly out of necessity ), the draft becomes exponentially more important. No RBs unless late. 

That's where the value would be anyways. 5th-7th round is where a RB is going to be better than whatever defensive players or offensive lineman are left on the board.

We are squeezed a little this year with only 6 picks, assuming we don't trade. RB is just not that urgent of a need to take a precious draft pick-- unless one just happens to fall into our lap like Elliot. So I would say either round 1 or 2, or not at all. And that only if one of the best RB's happens to fall down the draft and into our waiting hands.  As several have said, if we are going to get one, I don't favor just getting some journeyman backup in the 7th. We already have 4 of those on the roster & can probably pick up a few more as UDFA. The best or bust for the RB's.

On April 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe we'll get an 7th round one or an UDFA but the Colts don't have to get one. They can wait until 2017. There you'll have Fournette, Cook, and Perrine. McCafferry I don't see as an every down back which is why I left his name off.

Hey someone else that thinks McCafferry isn't gonna run wild in the NFL he just don't look like an bell cow IMO he's another college wonder who will struggle 

On 4/4/2016 at 7:48 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

That is exactly the kind of philosophy on why we haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher OR a rb to gain 100 in a game since Lincoln was president, lol.

No it isn't. Donald Brown and Trent Richardson were both first rounders. The Colts failure to produce in the running game has nothing to do with failing to use resources on backs.

Since the Colts last had a 1,000 yard rusher, there have probably been 20 guys in the 4th round or later with 1,000 yard seasons. In 2015: Latavius Murray, 6th; Chris Ivory, undrafted; Devonta Freeman, 4th. In 2014: Justin Forsett, 7th; Arian Foster, undrafted; Lamar Miller, 4th; Alfred Morris, 6th. In 2013: Alfred Morris, 6th. In 2012: Alfred Morris, 6th; Arian Foster, undrafted; BenJarvus Green-Ellis, undrafted; Ahmad Bradshaw, 7th. That's 9 different guys with 12 1,000 yard campaigns in just the last four years. If we keep going, we'd run into guys like Michael Turner, Peyton Hillis, LeGarrette Blount, Ryan Grant, Brandon Jacobs, etc.

You typically get better players higher in the draft, regardless of position, and it's true that the Colts haven't had very good backs despite some first rounders. But the primary reason the Colts haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher or a 100 yard game from a rusher is because the OL has been bad at run blocking since 2007, and lately because the play calling has been stupid. 

On 4/4/2016 at 5:48 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe we'll get an 7th round one or an UDFA but the Colts don't have to get one. They can wait until 2017. There you'll have Fournette, Cook, and Perrine. McCafferry I don't see as an every down back which is why I left his name off.

Three questions:

1) It's 2016. Why does a player need to be an 'every down back' to be considered?

2) The NFL values playmakers, particularly when they can play multiple positions. Why can't McCaffrey play a dual purpose role and be productive in the NFL?

3) What's the difference between McCaffrey and Chris Johnson (7 straight 1,000 yard seasons)?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Three questions:

1) It's 2016. Why does a player need to be an 'every down back' to be considered?

2) The NFL values playmakers, particularly when they can play multiple positions. Why can't McCaffrey play a dual purpose role and be productive in the NFL?

3) What's the difference between McCaffrey and Chris Johnson (7 straight 1,000 yard seasons)?

1. I still think the NFL prefers the typical bell-cow back+change of pace back system. You still want 1 guy you can give the bulk of the carries to and bank on him getting around 4-5 YPC.

2. He can be productive, but not as a guy you give 20 touches to. He'll be productive if you use him a different way every snap. He's not someone you just give the ball to on a draw or inside handoff and expect him to pick up big yards.

3. I guess nothing besides that McCaffery is more versatile. Johnson was a 1 trick pony though. He broke big runs  which inflated his rush totals each game. McCaffery is most dangerous when they get creative with him and use him as a receiver, returner, and change of pace guy. 

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

1. I still think the NFL prefers the typical bell-cow back+change of pace back system. You still want 1 guy you can give the bulk of the carries to and bank on him getting around 4-5 YPC.

2. He can be productive, but not as a guy you give 20 touches to. He'll be productive if you use him a different way every snap. He's not someone you just give the ball to on a draw or inside handoff and expect him to pick up big yards.

3. I guess nothing besides that McCaffery is more versatile. Johnson was a 1 trick pony though. He broke big runs  which inflated his rush totals each game. McCaffery is most dangerous when they get creative with him and use him as a receiver, returner, and change of pace guy. 

1) I think the NFL prefers players who can do one thing great, or who can do multiple things well. Injuries are still frequent, especially at RB, so having multiple capable players is necessary. And because situational football has become so important, multiple back systems are going to continue to be used. Some of the best backs in the league aren't necessarily every down backs, and some who are still split time with other backs. 

2) A good coaching staff would weaponize McCaffrey, and he'd be a playmaker.

3) McCaffrey probably isn't as fast as Johnson. I doubt he'll run a 4.2, but he's electric. Use him in all those different ways, including as a change back, and he'll be a problem for defenses. He's also not unable to handle a handful of inside carries, including draws. It would be stupid to run him up the middle a dozen times a game or try to use him in short yardage, but if a coaching staff can't figure out how to use a guy with his talent...

I'm not saying he should be a first rounder or ahead of anyone you listed, but to leave him off the list entirely seems strange to me. He's not a conventional NFL back, but I would absolutely draft him.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) I think the NFL prefers players who can do one thing great, or who can do multiple things well. Injuries are still frequent, especially at RB, so having multiple capable players is necessary. And because situational football has become so important, multiple back systems are going to continue to be used. Some of the best backs in the league aren't necessarily every down backs, and some who are still split time with other backs. 

2) A good coaching staff would weaponize McCaffrey, and he'd be a playmaker.

3) McCaffrey probably isn't as fast as Johnson. I doubt he'll run a 4.2, but he's electric. Use him in all those different ways, including as a change back, and he'll be a problem for defenses. He's also not unable to handle a handful of inside carries, including draws. It would be stupid to run him up the middle a dozen times a game or try to use him in short yardage, but if a coaching staff can't figure out how to use a guy with his talent...

I'm not saying he should be a first rounder or ahead of anyone you listed, but to leave him off the list entirely seems strange to me. He's not a conventional NFL back, but I would absolutely draft him.

Oh maybe I worded my post wrong. I didn't mean he shouldn't be drafted. I just meant the Colts shouldn't draft him high to be the future lead back. 

He's a playmaker without a doubt. I just think we should go with a more traditional back early next year.