Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Problems between Colts and Luck?

ThorstenDenmark

Hello fellow colts fans.

I can´t really figure out if it´s just the media and different journalists who´s trying to create a conflict between Indianapolis Colts and Andrew Luck, or if there really is a conflict already between them.

I follow various sites and read whatever I can find about Indianapolis Colts, free agency and NFL on a weekly basis, though I live i Denmark, so when i read the different newspapers or articles about Luck and the Colts, and the tone in the articles are quite negative, I can´t stop wondering if there really is a conflict between them.

So I hope some of you fellow fans can enlighten me and maybe help me describe whats really going on, cause it sure seem like there are something going on that I dont like.

Hope its just me, and there is no problem between them, cause Luck need to stay a colt for life.

Thorsten

Denmark   

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is anything for you to be worried about. Luck is rehabbing and working out and he is pretty much over any injuries. It looks like a new contract is being worked right now and is expected to be signed. I haven't heard of anything negative at this point.

There have been a lot of radio folks in particular trying to stir up controversy and saying Luck should refuse to resign with us and go somewhere else.  Wilbon from ESPN in particular despises (and doesn't hide it) Irsay and has made this recommendation and others have parroted it in various ways.  A lot of it is to try and drive clicks or generate a topic to discuss which might rile people enough to care this time of year on slow NFL news days.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Even if Luck WANTED to leave, he couldn't for a minimum of 3 more seasons and perhaps (I really don't know) even beyond that based on the franchise tag.  (Not sure if you are limited to 2 times in a row or not).  Some have suggest he might WANT to play under the tag as each time we use it a huge extra % gets added to it so the money would likely be higher if he did it, but he'd be risking a career ending injury and losing whatever would have been left on a longer term contract.  It would be a bad sign if they couldn't get him signed to an extension this year before the end of the season.  So we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't worry too much.. it's going to be a long time before he could get out even if he wanted to and there's been no real legit indication that's what he wants.  

I haven't heard one negative thing?? He is under contract still anyway, then we could even franchise Tag him after next season if Irsay wanted too. He isn't going anywhere. My guess is he will have a contract by the beginning of the season. I have never heard Andrew say one bad thing about the team and he loves playing for Pagano.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't heard one negative thing?? He is under contract still anyway, then we could even franchise Tag him after next season if Irsay wanted too. He isn't going anywhere. My guess is he will have a contract by the beginning of the season. I have never heard Andrew say one bad thing about the team and he loves playing for Pagano.

Of course not.. and I doubt he has any negative views on staying in Indy.. but it is a fact that many media people have attempted to make a story out of the topic by recommending he leave us for greener pastures.  Michael Wilbon on ESPN has done it many times as have others on ESPN. It's also a radio topic i.e. "instead of signing with Indy, Luck should really find a team willing to do "xy and z" instead of what Indy hasn't been doing...." blah blah blah... but never have I heard them attach Luck or even suggest it was HIS idea to leave.. just their fantasy.....

Its an ancient, tired narrative that has been repeated for several decades now.

Many in the media hate the Midwest...hate the people and the values...so anytime they have a chance to bring it down they will.  If not for savior QBs, the entire Colts team and fan base would be at the bottom of the heap, where they deserve.  They never have had and never will have a good roster as long as they represent Indiana.. The fan base and the state is laughable..and so is the team, the GM, and the owner as long as they remain in Indiana.

Because of who the fan base is, the media doesn't think the Colts deserves an elite QB.  The Colts and their elite QBs should have moved to LA long ago...so the proper kinds of people can have the reward they deserve. 

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

There have been a lot of radio folks in particular trying to stir up controversy and saying Luck should refuse to resign with us and go somewhere else.  Wilbon from ESPN in particular despises (and doesn't hide it) Irsay and has made this recommendation and others have parroted it in various ways.  A lot of it is to try and drive clicks or generate a topic to discuss which might rile people enough to care this time of year on slow NFL news days.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Even if Luck WANTED to leave, he couldn't for a minimum of 3 more seasons and perhaps (I really don't know) even beyond that based on the franchise tag.  (Not sure if you are limited to 2 times in a row or not).  Some have suggest he might WANT to play under the tag as each time we use it a huge extra % gets added to it so the money would likely be higher if he did it, but he'd be risking a career ending injury and losing whatever would have been left on a longer term contract.  It would be a bad sign if they couldn't get him signed to an extension this year before the end of the season.  So we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't worry too much.. it's going to be a long time before he could get out even if he wanted to and there's been no real legit indication that's what he wants.  

There is truth in your comment for sure. I don't watch ESPN other than some games because of that reason. ESPN has gone away from what they were. Now it's all catch phrases and face time for every ex jock and or anyone else who can sit in front of a camera. They are a joke.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Many in the media hate the Midwest...hate the people and the values...so anytime they have a chance to bring it down they will.  If not for savior QBs, the entire Colts team and fan base would be at the bottom of the heap, where they deserve.  They never have had and never will have a good roster as long as they represent Indiana.. The fan base and the state is laughable..and so is the team, the GM, and the owner as long as they remain in Indiana.

Because of who the fan base is, the media doesn't think the Colts deserves an elite QB.  The Colts and their elite QBs should have moved to LA long ago...so the proper kinds of people can have the reward they deserve. 

What?

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Doug.....

What the OP was talking about was that there have been stories saying things like....   "Should Andrew Luck sign a long-term deal with the Colts?    Or should he play out his contract, play out the franchise year, and then go elsewhere?" 

Or stories like "Why is it taking so long for the Colts to sign Andrew Luck to a new deal?"

THAT'S what the OP is talking about.

This has nothing to do with your paranoid delusional observations about everyone being against "midwest values".....     good gracious....   pure nonsense.

I'm sorry you actually believe the stuff you wrote in this post.    It's embarrassing and there's no reason for it.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug.....

What the OP was talking about was that there have been stories saying things like....   "Should Andrew Luck sign a long-term deal with the Colts?    Or should he play out his contract, play out the franchise year, and then go elsewhere?" 

Or stories like "Why is it taking so long for the Colts to sign Andrew Luck to a new deal?"

THAT'S what the OP is talking about.

This has nothing to do with your paranoid delusional observations about everyone being against "midwest values".....     good gracious....   pure nonsense.

I'm sorry you actually believe the stuff you wrote in this post.    It's embarrassing and there's no reason for it.

Just like I can usually tell when people with the mindsest of Wilbon will say in reaction to an event before they even think of what to say themselves, ..I knew you and BOTT would reply ...hahahahahaha

What's embarrassing is the mindset that people like Wilbon have, and others too brainwashed with PC to even recognize it.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just like I can usually tell when people with the mindsest of Wilbon will say in reaction to an event before they even think of what to say themselves, ..I knew you and BOTT would reply ...hahahahahaha

What's embarrassing is the mindset that people like Wilbon have, and others too brainwashed with PC to even recognize it.

Wilbon is from the midwest.

We replied because your posts are often bizarre/funny/delusional.

Luck will be a Colt for many more years. He will sign a new deal and become the richest player in NFL history. It's up to Grigson to build an offensive line around him though. Otherwise his talent is being wasted. Luck could make better decisions and get the ball out quicker and actually learn how to slide. His career won't last long if he continues to take a pounding.

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Here it comes......

Nobody tried to stop Peyton Manning from being with the Colts...   the Colts and Manning got tons of love.

Or Favre or Rodgers with Green Bay.

Or that Notre Dame is the MOST POPULAR COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN AMERICA WITH IT'S OWN TV NETWORK.

Ot the St. Louis Cardinals Baseball team, or the Kansas City Royals baseball team,  or the KC Chiefs football team....   the St. Louis Rams (while they were there...)

Or the Chicago Bulls basketball team...   or the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team, or the Indiana Pacers basketball team?

Or the Wisconsin Badgers football and basketball team,  or the Kansas Basketball program....   or Nebraska football?

Or Ohio State football or basketball?    Or the Cincinnati Reds baseball team?

How about Michigan football or basketball?     How about Michigan STATE?    How about the Detroit Tigers or Pistons, or Lions?

I mean,  how many examples do you need?    Your view is simply small town paranoid delusional.....

So, I've demonstrated that (A)  you had NO IDEA what the OP was talking about,  and when I pointed it out,  you ignored it.      And now, (B) I've demonstrated all the other midwest pro and college programs that get tons of coverage and love and respect and no one tries to mess with them....     and let's see what you do with that?

I've offered you facts.    Tons and tons of facts.

You've offered opinions and the only thing to back it up are an emoticon or two to support you.    How sweet.

If there was a scoreboard for this brief exchange,  you're down 100-0 after the first quarter.    Now what do you got?!?

Game Over.......

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here it comes......

Nobody tried to stop Peyton Manning from being with the Colts...   the Colts and Manning got tons of love.

Or that Notre Dame is the MOST POPULAR COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN AMERICA WITH IT'S OWN TV NETWORK.

Ot the St. Louis Cardinals Baseball team, or the Kansas City Royals baseball team,  or the KC Chiefs football team....   the St. Louis Rams (while they were there...)

Or the Chicago Bulls basketball team...   or the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team, or the Indiana Pacers basketball team?

Or the Wisconsin Badgers football and basketball team,  or the Kansas Basketball program....   or Nebraska football?

How about Michigan football or basketball?     How about Michigan STATE?    How about the Detroit Tigers or Pistons, or Lions?

I mean,  how many examples do you need?    Your view is simply small town paranoid delusional.....

So, I've demonstrated that (A)  you had NO IDEA what the OP was talking about,  and when I pointed it out,  you ignored it.      And now, (B) I've demonstrated all the other midwest pro and college programs that get tons of coverage and love and respect and no one tries to mess with them....     and let's see what you do with that?

You've offered opinions and the only thing to back it up are an emoticon or two to support you.    How sweet.

If there was a scoreboard for this brief exchange,  you're down 100-0 after the first quarter.    Now what do you got?!?

Game Over.......

dang NCF. That was kinda savagehaha

Read a article last night stating the Colts and Lucks camp were working on a revolutionary new type of year by year style contract . Didn't see any pros from Lucks side was curious if anyone else read the same article and had any input .

I have read a few articles as well and I don't believe any of it.  Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk has turned his site into The National Enquirer of pro football.  He is always trying to create controversy in an effort to hold onto readers. His TV show is now garbage and he is fighting for airtime. How he stays on the air is beyond me.  He makes money an issue with most of his articles and opinions.  He's gotten old fast.  I am now laughing at half the stuff he writes. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here it comes......

Game Over.......

What in the bloody he******* was all that ??

:scratch:

Nothing to be worried about. Irsay has said they plan to have deal done by 4th of July. The media is,gonna try to conjure up a bunch of non sense to grab headlines and get people to read it. It's a fascinating thought for them to think of the possibilitiesof Luck going somewhere else. But it isn't gonna happen. As much as alot of the sports world would like it to and would like,to see that colts collapse and dissapear. We'll have Luck for many more years.

There has been some local articles that have sound a little negative lately. Mike Cappell had a headline that read "With Colts' Andrew Luck, decision making, not sliding technique, the main issue." Bleacher report had an article questioning whether Luck deserves elite money. Many on this blog have expressed that Luck holding the ball too long is why he gets hit so much and that our OL is adequate. Colt FO are hell bent on Luck learning how to slide.

I could see from all this that a person may conclude that there could be problems between him and the FO. Not suggesting there is but see why someone could question it.

I don't know about problems I don't think they have any but would it surprise me to see Andrew Luck end up elsewhere for whatever reason? No it wouldn't.

Rarely does a player stay with the same team their entire career.  It would be nice but I don't think its laughable that he could go elsewhere. Irsay could pay him but other teams just need a QB and have everything in place(defense/O-Line). Its not as if Andrew Luck has any real ties here beyond the fact that they drafted him.

27 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Rarely does a player stay with the same team their entire career. 

the list of teams ready to shell out a 100 million $ deal for him wont be as big as you are probably thinking.  sure there will be a market for him, but teams like the 49ers and browns wont look any more appealing than the colts do.  teams like denver, NE, and arizona dont have the cap space, even if they did want him.

thats one reason why the colts are a good fit right now.  we dont have all that many guys that need to be paid, and the grass wont be any greener with teams that have tons of cap space

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah....  and then later I realized I left out teams like the Cubs, the White Sox and the Bears!

Doh!!     :facepalm:

The Red Wings,  the Pistons and the Cleveland Indians.

I mean,  I made a good dent,  but there are more than I listed in that last post....

2 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

What in the bloody he******* was all that ??

:scratch:

Someone was claiming that there's media bias against the midwest as a reason for negative articles about the Colts and Andrew Luck.

I was simply listing a great number of teams in the Midwest that get great media coverage.   This claim of media bias is so off base....   and I was trying to slam the door shut on it...

57 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the list of teams ready to shell out a 100 million $ deal for him wont be as big as you are probably thinking.  sure there will be a market for him, but teams like the 49ers and browns wont look any more appealing than the colts do.  teams like denver, NE, and arizona dont have the cap space, even if they did want him.

thats one reason why the colts are a good fit right now.  we dont have all that many guys that need to be paid, and the grass wont be any greener with teams that have tons of cap space

Sure pay Andrew Luck all that $$$ (which shows what a hypocrite Jimbo is considering one of the reasons he let Manning go was because he wanted to spread the wealth) you need a team right? 

The cheap years of Andrew Luck are over you act as if $$$ is the only motivating factor a large one but hey if he wants to win a title if I were him would you trust Grigson/Pagano to do anything? Because I don't and I say this as someone that follows this team.

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Of course not.. and I doubt he has any negative views on staying in Indy.. but it is a fact that many media people have attempted to make a story out of the topic by recommending he leave us for greener pastures.  Michael Wilbon on ESPN has done it many times as have others on ESPN. It's also a radio topic i.e. "instead of signing with Indy, Luck should really find a team willing to do "xy and z" instead of what Indy hasn't been doing...." blah blah blah... but never have I heard them attach Luck or even suggest it was HIS idea to leave.. just their fantasy.....

For some reason most of the analysts on ESPN and the NFL Network dislike the Colts, they always have even when we had Peyton. I remember on one Sunday morning countdown, Keyshawn Johnson slipped and actually said he hated Peyton Manning when we were winning all of those games in 2009. I am not sure if it's because we are a small market team, not a flashy team, or don't  play on the East Coast to why most don't like us. It could be we are Good to Great almost every season and are a pain in the behind to most of the teams they like?

47 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Sure pay Andrew Luck all that $$$ (which shows what a hypocrite Jimbo is considering one of the reasons he let Manning go was because he wanted to spread the wealth) you need a team right? 

The cheap years of Andrew Luck are over you act as if $$$ is the only motivating factor a large one but hey if he wants to win a title if I were him would you trust Grigson/Pagano to do anything? Because I don't and I say this as someone that follows this team.

im pretty sure that luck has complete confidence in pagano, more than you or i do for sure.  i doubt he is all that worried about grigson either.  one could argue luck himself is to blame for many of the things that have gone wrong lately too.  it wasnt the lines fault when he hurt his kidney.  it wasnt anyone elses fault when he made a ridiculous tackle in preseason, possibly the start of the shoulder injury

we have a long way to go before winning any super bowls with this team, but im not too worried about luck leaving town.  i am worried about wasting his prime, but the one most responsible for lucks development is himself imo

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

I don't know about problems I don't think they have any but would it surprise me to see Andrew Luck end up elsewhere for whatever reason? No it wouldn't.

Rarely does a player stay with the same team their entire career.  It would be nice but I don't think its laughable that he could go elsewhere. Irsay could pay him but other teams just need a QB and have everything in place(defense/O-Line). Its not as if Andrew Luck has any real ties here beyond the fact that they drafted him.

When has an elite QB in the prime of his career left for another team?  Maybe I'm missing somebody, but I can't think of one.

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

You do realize there is a difference between a 25 year old QB in his prime compared to a 36 year old QB coming off neck surgery don't you? I see no problem paying Andrew huge money. Without him our team would stink. Irsay always paid Peyton huge money into his 30's and even paid him 25 Mill in 2011 and Peyton didn't play a down.

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

What you call "savage" I refer to as accurate & thorough on NCF's part. Very well written too. I might add. 

I just don't see a Midwestern bias actually & I live in WI myself. Sometimes, exaggeration & a sledge hammer are necessary to drive a point home in a humorous way for symbolic effect. 

As for Luck's contract, it will get resolved. I don't see this as any sort of agent vs owner impasse. These matters always get done sometime after the draft. Nothing to fret about folks. Move along; move along.