Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman Negotiations (Merged)

dw49

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They reportedly made this same offer.

Last year's free agency would probably value this deal as a 6th rounder. With the money that's been thrown around so far, it's probably a 7th like you said.

Fleener probably brings a 4th.

I think the only thing that makes sense here is that Grigson offered him the paltry contract as a way of saying "we're not re-signing you" and he got the message, but it turns out that was actually his value on the market and his ego was too bruised to return. 

Otherwise it doesn't make much sense what exactly happened. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same offer the Colts made well before free agency. He turned it down, fired his agent, and hired Rosenhaus. He was gone at that point. When he said a few days ago that he needed to do what was best for him, he had already decided he wouldn't stay with the Colts without a better offer. 

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think the only thing that makes sense here is that Grigson offered him the paltry contract as a way of saying "we're not re-signing you" and he got the message, but it turns out that was actually his value on the market and his ego was too bruised to return. 

Your take makes sense. Oh well, next man up. And he might just be better. 

Last year Freeman was ok. I'll give credit where it's due. He made some decent plays.

But lets face it, our defense as a whole, was nothing great. And it's been lousy for years now.

Prior to last year, I thought Jerrell Freeman was a below average LB.

I'm glad we didnt sign him again.

I think we need to rebuild the defense, and a good place to start is at ILB.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Last year Freeman was ok. I'll give credit where it's due. He made some decent plays.

But lets face it, our defense as a whole, was nothing great. And it's been lousy for years now.

Prior to last year, I thought Jerrell Freeman was a below average LB.

I'm glad we didnt sign him again.

I think we need to rebuild the defense, and a good place to start is at ILB.

I won't disagree with you however I think that spending a high draft pick on an ILB at this point in time is a tough sell for me. My hope is that Irving or Moore can step in and play well there. We have bigger needs such as Rush LB and CB and OG/T. However, Ive read several places that Grigson and Pagano were looking hard at Alabama's ILB at his pro day. A defense needs a leader for sure and ILB is usually a good place for one but I was hoping we would use our high picks on a Rush LB or maybe a top OT. Oh well, time will tell how this decision turns out.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Maybe. But Grigson has told other free agents 'we're not re-signing you' in plain English. Better players than Freeman, too. He doesn't usually do the lowball ploy. But this offseason is obviously different.

Like you've said, I would have cut Jackson and given Freeman his money. I'm really worried that this staff doesn't appreciate rangy ILB play like I think they should, if they're willing to keep Jackson at $5.5m but won't go above $4m for a younger, faster, better player. Maybe Ragland is their guy...

And maybe another plan will present itself.

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe. But Grigson has told other free agents 'we're not re-signing you' in plain English. Better players than Freeman, too. He doesn't usually do the lowball ploy. But this offseason is obviously different.

Like you've said, I would have cut Jackson and given Freeman his money. I'm really worried that this staff doesn't appreciate rangy ILB play like I think they should, if they're willing to keep Jackson at $5.5m but won't go above $4m for a younger, faster, better player. Maybe Ragland is their guy...

Raglands not far from the same player Jackson is in my opinion

Freeman didn't want to play here for the same money and Fleener says the team has a bunch of slackers. So tell me again why Pagano was kept? Must be his defensive genius skills because the "players coach" stuff looks a little iffy.

12 hours ago, azcolt said:

Freeman didn't want to play here for the same money and Fleener says the team has a bunch of slackers. So tell me again why Pagano was kept? Must be his defensive genius skills because the "players coach" stuff looks a little iffy.

:facepalm:

You don't even have to take a ILB in the first round to get a similar to slightly better player than Freeman. You can pick up a guy like Kentrell Brothers in the third or 4th rd. Also it wouldn't surprise me to see Grigs pull a similar deal like he did with Sio Moore last year when he picked up Moore for a 6th round pick from the next years draft. Shouldn't be hard to replace. You can talk about getting rid of Dqwell but that looks a bit sketchy to me considering how well the guy played. Plus he is a strong presence in the locker room. That will be needed on a team that is getting significantly younger. Sio Moore is also more diverse than Freeman.

Colts

• According to Bob Kravitz, the Colts were concerned that LB Jerrell Freeman would have “moped” if he didn’t get the kinda of money he wanted.
  • Kravitz mentions that the Colts believe Freeman “moped” during last season because of money.
  • Kravitz points out that Freeman is actually on his third agent in the past four years.

Colts

• Stephen Holder reports that the Colts made ILB Jerrell Freeman a “substantial” offer weeks ago, but he spurned that offer and fired his agent thinking that he was going to have better offers available. However, that wound up not being the case.
  • According to Holder, the Colts began moving in a new direction once Freeman turned down their original offer and were making other plans in free agency.
  • Holder adds that it’s unclear if the Colts even made him another offer or if Freeman gave them the opportunity to match the deal with the Bears.

Colts

• Charles Robinson mentions that Jerrell Freeman‘s new contract with the Bears undoubtedly raised some eyebrows inside the Colts’ facility, seeing as he signed the same deal they offered to him before free agency.
  • Mike Wells reports that Freeman wanted to return to the Colts, but he also wanted his first significant payday.
  • The Colts, however, plan to stick with their stance of not overpaying for players, according to Wells.

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-rumors-legarrette-blount-colts-dolphins-lions-steelers/

On 3/11/2016 at 6:57 PM, Superman said:

Suck for Luck...Fail for Fournette?

Hopefully Grigson hits it big in the draft. His current plan is a bit...murky.