Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson is doing a fine job

danlhart87

I'm a firm believer in building through the draft. I'm pretty confident after last years debacle of signing countless old FAs Grigson took a step back this year.

The contracts that most have signed are WAY overpaid and would completely cripple this team!

The draft is certainly the way to go!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm a firm believer in building through the draft. I'm pretty confident after last years debacle of signing countless old FAs Grigson took a step back this year.

The contracts that most have signed are WAY overpaid and would completely cripple this team!

The draft is certainly the way to go!

granted but you cant fill all of our holes through the draft, gotta do both

Grigson, again blew this FA.  Every year, he waits till the dust settle and pays for it.  Instead of getting in and getting the players he wants, in the first few hours, he waits.  He allows the market to set what he is going to pay instead of setting the market.  Though I'm against re-signing Allen and yes Grigson overpaid, but he set the price and not the market.

I'm not for overpaying for big name FAs, but should have signed the lower tiered players before the market set the price.

Normally I would totally agree, but I think the way several posters see things, is that the team has significant deficiencies at more than a few positions, and probably more than can be addressed 'sufficiently' in one draft...

That's at least the way I've viewed this off season I guess, still hoping Grigs can fill even just 2 positions of need with serviceable starters, at the right price of course...

14 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thankfully it only took 4 season for Grigson to realize how far over his head he is in FA.

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yeah hopefully we can use the draft to come away with a staring guard, starting center,, starting cb, and edge rusher and ILb. Also while grabbing a #2 RB, a #2 QB and depth at safety, 

Very Similar to what I was about to say LOL

This team fooled everyone before last season started. It has a lot of holes to fill. The defense is soft and has a weak O-line. To many things to fix in one off season. I have know problem with Grigs not over spending on these FA`s. However, his draft needs to be spot on.

I'm usually pretty supportive of the FO and coaches. I think there's way too many holes to fill with this draft. I want us to compete for the super bowl this year. We need some FA signings. I feel like Allen got a bit too much cash. Losing Lowery sucks. Our pass rush, Oline, Cb 2, and RB need to be addressed. I hope we get in on some decent players. Man the Giants and Raiders are signing some great players.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I want to be a Super Bowl contender NOW. We can worry about 3 years from now when it gets here. We aren't going to be able to address all our needs in this draft. It'd take at least 2 draft's. At least

Everybody wants to be Super Bowl contenders NOW, but most of the time it isn't realistic. This roster needs more work than can be done in one offseason to become Super Bowl contenders.

4 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Everybody wants to be Super Bowl contenders NOW, but most of the time it isn't realistic. This roster needs more work than can be done in one offseason to become Super Bowl contenders.

When you have a franchise QB it is.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I want to be a Super Bowl contender NOW. We can worry about 3 years from now when it gets here. We aren't going to be able to address all our needs in this draft. It'd take at least 2 draft's. At least

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to wait until, at least, TC.

yea normally i would agree with this if we had a GM who could draft well, but we have Grigson...its looking pretty bad so far, that 55 - whatever it was romp jax gave us last year might not be out of the question twice more this season

Just now, COLTS449 said:

When you have a franchise QB it is.

Well we have a franchise QB so that box is checked. You can't foolishly overspend for free agents to guarantee that you are going to be Super Bowl contenders. You want to spend 12 mil on Osemele that is ridiculous for a G. You want to spend 12 mil on Jenkins that is ridiculous. You have to be realistic with the type of money you have to spend. With your judgement we would be cap strapped. Some free agents work and perform at the level they did with their previous team, but more often than not they don't. Remember hundreds of free agents switched teams last year and only four made the pro bowl.

18 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Grigson, again blew this FA.  Every year, he waits till the dust settle and pays for it.  Instead of getting in and getting the players he wants, in the first few hours, he waits.  He allows the market to set what he is going to pay instead of setting the market.  Though I'm against re-signing Allen and yes Grigson overpaid, but he set the price and not the market.

I'm not for overpaying for big name FAs, but should have signed the lower tiered players before the market set the price.

If you want lower tiered players, you wait. There value goes DOWN as time passes. Not up

10 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I'm actually kind of tired of beating Superbowl Champs in the regular season and hanging with runner ups and literally the only team to get past are the Steelers or Pats and we haven't done anything in four years to close the gap.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

If you want lower tiered players, you wait. There value goes DOWN as time passes. Not up

Problem is that the price doesn't go down.  Look at all the FAs we got and had to pay market price.  Price doesn't go down until the regular season starts.

Grigson signing Allen today started the market value for TEs.  You get your deals done before FA, you set the market.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

I'm actually kind of tired of beating Superbowl Champs in the regular season and hanging with runner ups and literally the only team to get past are the Steelers or Pats and we haven't done anything in four years to close the gap.

Agreed. This teams roster needs a lot of work to be consistently competitive with the top AFC teams. I just think it is going to take more than one offseason to make it happen. It is important that we hit in the draft in the future to fill major holes, and be smart in free agency to compliment the draft.

9 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Problem is that the price doesn't go down.  Look at all the FAs we got and had to pay market price.  Price doesn't go down until the regular season starts.

Grigson signing Allen today started the market value for TEs.  You get your deals done before FA, you set the market.

Yeah but if your looking for the cheaper guys, that obviously means they are less talented (or at least less valuable) than the guys going first. When we "set the market" for the Allen deal, that doesn't mean every TE is gonna sign for the same amount. After a while, players and agents who have yet to find teams will lower their price because they need to, or else they won't get picked up

Normally would agree to build through the draft-- if Grigson could draft worth a crap. The reason our roster is so full of holes is that we have drafted poorly, especially with the use of the top end of our drafts, and the emergency fixes he tried to get through FA for the most part didn't pan out either.  So building through the draft exclusively, I don't think, is possible as long as Grigson is calling the shots on draft day. His record of the last four drafts just does not support that.

No we shouldn't (and this year can't) spend like crazy on FA, but acquiring a couple of quality starters would be a great compliment to a good draft.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did free agency end?

We don't need to spend everything like the Giants, but it would be nice getting like one O lineman or at least a whisper of us getting an O lineman seeing as it's a great spot to invest FA dollars in. I'd think after Luck missed half of last year it would be something we would splurge on and then take it easy until the draft. With all these glaring holes it would be nice 3 hours into FA to hear a whisper of us at least signing someone new instead of our own guys or seeing ours go elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Agreed. This teams roster needs a lot of work to be consistently competitive with the top AFC teams. I just think it is going to take more than one offseason to make it happen. It is important that we hit in the draft in the future to fill major holes, and be smart in free agency to compliment the draft.

I mean with a healthy Luck against the Texans this year we are in the playoffs after beating the winner and barely losing to the runner up. Same with 2013 after beating 3 of the final four in the regular season and of course meeting that one team in the playoffs. Anytime we make the playoffs we have a good chance unless the Pats are in the way which will always be the case.