Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GOAT to retire

JRnINDY

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, CF4L said:

He may have been a Vol for 4 years but he still shows love for them no matter what I don't see him doing that with the Colts/Broncos. I mean he doesn't hate them but he's not as attached. 

I don't think Manning was upset when the Colts dumped him I mean it worked great for him after all. But I think its laughable that people think he was okay with what Irsay said about him after the fact publically when he has not said anything bad about Indy.

Because that was his One and Only College.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to my Post, whether he is GOAT is debatable. Tons of criteria go into who is the GOAT. Some people value Stats over Rings, others value Rings over Stats. Some put major emphasis on League MVP's and SB MVP's. It's really all opinion but he would be 1 of the names I would consider along with Montana, Brady, Elway, Marino, Favre, and Unitas. Regarding Unitas I can only go by video of him that I have seen and his Stats and Championships won because I was too young to watch him live. Marino doesn't have any Rings but I still think he belongs, Favre was pretty reckless with the ball in many of his seasons but I think he belongs at least in the discussion as well. People that put major emphasis on SB Rings would include Bradshaw who has 4 and Aikman 3 but those QB's Stats were very Average for their career's.

All true..but with 2 titles and two conference championship with 2 different teams....Peyton is in the upper tier.

Some have 4 titles...but they did it all in the same system..

..and the 2 records..single season yards and single season TDs..

..and total wins in game started. That's a bad stat (as is evidenced by last year's Denver run) but Manning leads it..

////and the 15-14 playoff record..always used as a knock on Peyton....also means 16 playoff berths..

...4-1 in AFC title games

....and he won 5 of his last 7 playoff games in Denver when he was in his late 30s...

Peyton has more claims to best ever even if he does not have the best claim (more titles)

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So exactly what is wrong with an owner who wants players who want to win super bowls?  So it would be OK to you for Irsay to say he don't want those type of players? You are making something out of nothing. Do you work for the media?

Nothing but its a given that an owner wants players to win more than 1 SB I mean as much of a * as Kraft is even he's not dumb enough to say something like that publically as if its "Brand new information" because its a given you want more than 1 SB if you own a team. Doesn't mean you will get more than one SB either sometimes you don't get any(see the Bills even their owner never said something that stupid about Jim Kelly). 

Irsay said this about the dude he chose to dump who has nothing bad to say about the Colts. Others saw it as *y to so I don't know why you act as if its just me.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

Nothing but its a given that an owner wants players to win more than 1 SB I mean as much of a * as Kraft is even he's not dumb enough to say something like that publically as if its "Brand new information" because its a given you want more than 1 SB if you own a team. Doesn't mean you will get more than one SB either sometimes you don't get any(see the Bills even their owner never said something that stupid about Jim Kelly). 

Irsay said this about the dude he chose to dump who has nothing bad to say about the Colts. Others saw it as *y to so I don't know why you act as if its just me.

Why shouldn't Irsay feel that way? You take what he said out of context. Besides if you want to be totally truthful Manning did have quite a few playoffs games he didn't play well at all. Irsay wrote a lot of checks and paid a lot of money to Manning and take the into consideration I guess he has the right to say what he wants. Manning is a grown man he don't need your protection from being what you might think is an insult. The bottom line is you dislike Irsay and now you choose this time to bash him. You still never answered me? Do you work for the media? I ask that because they are good at making up and twisting things that are nothing into something to draw attention.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:
  1. He said it be
    8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why shouldn't Irsay feel that way? You take what he said out of context. Besides if you want to be totally truthful Manning did have quite a few playoffs games he didn't play well at all. Irsay wrote a lot of checks and paid a lot of money to Manning and take the into consideration I guess he has the right to say what he wants. Manning is a grown man he don't need your protection from being what you might think is an insult. The bottom line is you dislike Irsay and now you choose this time to bash him. You still never answered me? Do you work for the media? I ask that because they are good at making up and twisting things that are nothing into something to draw attention.

You're right I don't care for Irsay but that's irrelevant as long as he does his job well I don't have to care about him.

No I don't work for the media but I'm not a shameless Colts homer either. Not all Colts fans think the same. I just find it laughable how you think what Irsay said wasn't terrible because it was. I mean to the point where you had old players talking about how ungrateful he sounded. Even if he didn't mean it as disrespect it was.

Its one thing to want more than one championship I wanted the Colts to win more but sometimes you don't get what you want and you should be grateful for what you have and Jimbo wasn't. He always ran his mouth whenever the Colts beat Denver when Manning was there. He has nothing to say now though.

Its not about defending Manning its the hypocrisy that's terrible. His disappointment over the Colts not winning enough championships is overshadowed by the team hanging AFC Championship participation banners and division titles when its supposed to be about "rings" so which is it with him? If its SB or bust he should only settle for SBs and nothing more yet his actions say otherwise.

You can agree with the decision to move on from Manning and not trash the past like he has. The fact he thinks Grigson did as much as Polian has in the 4 years he's been here is just laughable as well.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So exactly what is wrong with an owner who wants players who want to win super bowls?  So it would be OK to you for Irsay to say he don't want those type of players? You are making something out of nothing. Do you work for the media?

Honestly, they were foolish statements made by Irsay in a horrible context of playing Denver and Manning. He would have been well served keeping quiet about the perceived one Super Bowl underachievement in Indy, as we all know how tough it is to win a Super Bowl. It perfectly fine for an owner to want as many Super Bowls as possible, but he kept rehashing his decision over and over again about Luck and Manning, when most astute NFL fans understood the decision.

You know, I'm sure the mid-80's Bears thought they should have won more Super Bowls ? How many more Super Bowls could we have had in Baltimore with those great defenses, had we had a decent QB instead of Stony Case, Kyle Boller, Tony Banks, or an old Steve McNair ? All of us as fans have Championships we felt were left on the table. Like I've said previously , the comments should have been we had a great run during the Manning/ Polian era, and we are looking to build on that success in the Luck / Grigson era. End of story.  

4 minutes ago, James said:

How about Peyton catching Brady's records, which he wont.

We get it....you're in love with Tom Brady. 

Show some respect and post about your love for a cheater on some other thread , not on a thread about a legend retiring.

Go away 

1 hour ago, James said:

How about Peyton catching Brady's records, which he wont.

539 career passing TDs, 71,940 career passing yards, 55 TDs in one season, 5,477 yards in one season, 200 career wins, 93 career games with over 300 yards per game, tied for 7 TDs in one game, 97 games with a rating of 105 or higher, 5 games with a perfect passer rating, 10 seasons with over 350 completions, most game winning drives with 56, most comeback wins with 45, highest completion record in post season with 450 yards and 81.8 %, 342.1 yards per game in one season, 25 games with 4 TDs, 14 years with over 4,000 yards, 13 consecutive years of 25 TDs, 1st QB to beat 31 other teams and 5, count them, 5 MVPs. So when Brady gets close let us know.

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

You're right I don't care for Irsay but that's irrelevant as long as he does his job well I don't have to care about him.

No I don't work for the media but I'm not a shameless Colts homer either. Not all Colts fans think the same. I just find it laughable how you think what Irsay said wasn't terrible because it was. I mean to the point where you had old players talking about how ungrateful he sounded. Even if he didn't mean it as disrespect it was.

Its one thing to want more than one championship I wanted the Colts to win more but sometimes you don't get what you want and you should be grateful for what you have and Jimbo wasn't. He always ran his mouth whenever the Colts beat Denver when Manning was there. He has nothing to say now though.

Its not about defending Manning its the hypocrisy that's terrible. His disappointment over the Colts not winning enough championships is overshadowed by the team hanging AFC Championship participation banners and division titles when its supposed to be about "rings" so which is it with him? If its SB or bust he should only settle for SBs and nothing more yet his actions say otherwise.

You can agree with the decision to move on from Manning and not trash the past like he has. The fact he thinks Grigson did as much as Polian has in the 4 years he's been here is just laughable as well.

Reasoning with you is impossible. With all the good things that Irsay has done your going to make an issue over something you took out of context. I don't need a book written back to me to understand you just want to trash Irsay. If all you can do is hand pick things to make your point without seeing the bigger picture, be my guest.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When I first started hearing people bring up the term GOAT in chat on the internet I first thought of a guy that lost the big game. Goat used to mean a player that messed up at a crucial time in a huge Playoff game in all sports. I was even confused at first when some were using at as Greatest of All-Time. Back in the 80's and 90's it meant you blew a huge game.

Don't you mean Scapegoat?  or no? 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Reasoning with you is impossible. With all the good things that Irsay has done your going to make an issue over something you took out of context. I don't need a book written back to me to understand you just want to trash Irsay. If all you can do is hand pick things to make your point without seeing the bigger picture, be my guest.

I fail to see how differing opinions means I can't reason well hard to believe but not everyone thinks the same.

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

We get it....you're in love with Tom Brady. 

Show some respect and post about your love for a cheater on some other thread , not on a thread about a legend retiring.

Go away 

Not really. I'm just not as narrow-minded and biased as many fans on this board seem to bad, including you. 

Show some objectivity and post your nonsensical bias elsewhere, or this is going to turn into the usual Peyton Manning * threads.

Feel free to leave if you can't do that.

1 hour ago, James said:

Not really. I'm just not as narrow-minded and biased as many fans on this board seem to bad, including you. 

Show some objectivity and post your nonsensical bias elsewhere, or this is going to turn into the usual Peyton Manning * threads.

Show some objectivity? I guess you didn't notice this was a Manning thread? I also guess you have no clue as to what nonsensical post are either?

I don't know if Peyton Manning will go down as the Greatest Of All Time or not?

But I do know that he's a 1st ballot unanimous Hall of Famer,  and I'm not sure there's an honor greater than that......       Everything else is fans bickering about their favorite player.....     That has never interested me.

Peyton will be in Canton in 5 years.....    that's a slam dunk.....     everything else I'll leave to the diehards to fight over.....

9 hours ago, James said:

Says the one who immediately turned it into a Brady vs Manning thread..... you turned it into that and the thread wasn't even 2 hours old. Way to be hypocritical there.

As far as objectivity, this was started as a Manning thread.....YOU , I repeat YOU, brought in Tom Brady into the thread. YOU.

So yeah, I'm in the right place, I think you're lost and need to find the way back to Patriots trolls dot com

On 2/28/2016 at 0:24 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never seen Johnny U play so I always had Joe Montana and John Elway as the 2 best QB's I have ever seen HANDSDOWN as well until recently because of Peyton and Tom. Eventhough Dan Marino never won a SB I think he belongs in with all the QB's I just mentioned as well. I still would probably put Montana #1.

Man was  godlike when QBs werent the rage like today, though revered of course revered but just not spread out hurry up offenses that threw all the time etc etc  ad RB's were still dominant positions handled by 1 back

made every throw u need with accuracy & many a deep bomb TD , studied film, read defenses, called own plays, SOUNDS LIKE any other QB we love presently

Studied the game same as Peyton,

that 1st 2 minute drill in the 1958 championship game ,greatest game ever played etc

he saw a Defense Giants did once some time ago on film, may not have even been that year , but he never had seen it in  a game that D formation , designed to take  away the  outside route so u cant catch &  get out of bounds to save time

after watching , he & HOF WR Ray berry ( still considered one of the best QB / WR tandems ) decided if ever seen this is what they will do

Then at start of the 1st ever  2 minute drill to tie the 58 game Giants lined up to stop that very same route called for, Unitas & Berry each looked at each other wondering if the other remembered that past film review and discussion on what to do

Play starts, instead of going outside route Berry breaks off & slants in across middle where Unitas who already threw the ball timed it perfectly and Berry caught it in stride for yardage , catching Giants by surprise and from that point they drove the length of the field and a Legend was born

in days when football was a game  that u just didnt leave after a injury, at least he didn't

Gets closed lined ,  blood gushing from nose , TE Mackey  grabs some MUD and stuffs it up UNitas nose to try & stop it , doesn't work blood still flows, yet Unitas stays in , drives length of field and Throws a TD

Nowadays a bloody nose like that & u r out with trainers and ther Doc

Man i hate injuries , i understand rules to prevent them , but old school football was well Gladiator like battles at times and something to behold

& those memories of those battles , well I hope I keep remembering them cause u cant see them today

1 hour ago, bayone said:

Man was  godlike when QBs werent the rage like today, though revered of course revered but just not spread out hurry up offenses that threw all the time etc etc  ad RB's were still dominant positions handled by 1 back

made every throw u need with accuracy & many a deep bomb TD , studied film, read defenses, called own plays, SOUNDS LIKE any other QB we love presently

that 1st 2 minute drill in the 1958 championship game ,greatest game ever played etc

he saw a Defense Giants did once some time ago on film, may not have even been that year , but he never had seen it in  a game that D formation , designed to take  away the  outside route so u cant catch &  get out of bounds to save time

after watching , he & HOF WR Ray berry ( still considered one of the best QB / WR tandems ) decided if ever seen this is what they will do

Then at start of the 1st ever  2 minute drill to tie the 58 game Giants lined up to stop that very same route called for, Unitas & Berry each looked at each other wondering if the other remembered that past film review and discussion on what to do

Play starts, instead of going outside route Berry breaks off & slants in across middle where Unitas who already threw the ball timed it perfectly and Berry caught it in stride for yardage , catching Giants by surprise and from that point they drove the length of the field and a Legend was born

in days when football was a game  that u just didnt leave after a injury, at least he didn't

Gets closed lined ,  blood gushing from nose , TE Mackey  grabs some MUD and stuffs it up UNitas nose to try & stop it , doesn't work blood still flows, yet Unitas stays in , drives length of field and Throws a TD

Man i hate injuries , i understand rules to prevent them , but old school football was well  +

Gladiator

+ like battles at times and something to behold

& those memories of those battles , well I hope I keep remembering them cause u cant see them today

those were the days in which an era in football in which everything was legal

Horse-collar tackles, clothesline tackles, below-the-knees crackback blocks. Defenseless receivers were a sight for sore eyes.

Those were the days of the Deacon Jones HEAD SLAP

What I remember Jones for is the head slap, easily the most devastating defensive maneuver in professional football this side of the clothesline. Jones would take a step, slap the offensive lineman’s helmet with his forearm or perhaps with both

hands.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/sports/football/deacon-joness-effect-on-football-is-still-being-felt.html

+++ Jones would say his job description was to simply decapitate the QB

Can u imagine a player saying that today ++++

1 hour ago, bayone said:

Man i hate injuries , i understand rules to prevent them , but old school football was well Gladiator like battles at times and something to behold

It's so tough to compare ERA's is another reason why there is no clear cut GOAT. Otto Graham was the man before Unitas so he is another one in the GOAT convo. Bart Starr won several Championships before there was SBs as well and he was the starter on the first 2 SB winners for the Packers. Technically the Packers 3-Peated from the 1965-1967 seasons but the 1965 Season was before the SB era which started in the 1966 Season. To be fair to all ERA's, one would probably start with Sammy Baugh going back to the 30's/40's, then go to Otto Graham, then go to Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr prior to the 70's. During the 70's you have had QB's like Tarkenton, Griese, Staubach, and Bradshaw stand out. From 1980 and on is more of what I have seen live and QB's like Montana and S. Young for the 49ers were darn Great and others have stood out like Marino, Elway, Aikman, Favre, Peyton, and Tommy.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's so tough to compare ERA's is another reason why there is no clear cut GOAT. Otto Graham was the man before Unitas so he is another one in the GOAT convo. Bart Starr won several Championships before there was SBs as well and he was the starter on the first 2 SB winners for the Packers. Technically the Packers 3-Peated but from the 1965-1967 seasons but the 1965 Season was before the SB era which started in the 1966 Season. To be fair to all ERA's, one would probably start with Sammy Baugh going back to the 30's/40's, then go to Otto Graham, then go to Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr prior to the 70's. During the 70's you have had QB's like Tarkenton, Griese, Staubach, and Bradshaw stand out. From 1980 and on is more of what I have seen live and QB's like Montana and S. Young for the 49ers were darn Great and others stood out like Marino, Elway, Aikman, Favre, Peyton, and Tommy.

Have to run to Drs, 'so this is it

dont know if u saw my post just before u posted this on what was allowed back then as being legal

Sammy Baugh going back to the 30's/40's, then go to Otto Graham, then go to Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr

Otto Graham won many a championships if remember bright

I agree , a;lso with rest u posted & Baugh didnt he also kick as well as play D & varios positions, know some QB did but he was slinging Sammy Baugh

Love Star , but he had a backfield due of Jim Talor and Paul Horning to go with coach Lombaardie , that 's stunning

3 minutes ago, bayone said:

Have to run to Drs, 'so this is it

dont know if u saw my post just before u posted this on what was allowed back then as being legal

Sammy Baugh going back to the 30's/40's, then go to Otto Graham, then go to Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr

I agree , a;lso with rest u posted & Baugh didnt he also kick as well as play D & varios positions, know some QB did but he was slinging Sammy Baugh

Love Star , but he had a backfield due of Jim Talor and Paul Horning to go with coach Lombaardie , that 's stunning

Yes Baugh even kicked LOL. Good luck at the Doc's, hopefully you have a successful day. Your Post was Great by the way, I gave it a like.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes Baugh even kicked LOL. Good luck at the Doc's, hopefully you have a successful day. Your Post was Great by the way, I gave it a like.

take care, now leaving I get an e-mail when I get a like so in  know it, its something in way my settings were set up way back 

this is an easy 1, every 6 weeks  Medicine implanted minor surgical procedure, IV after takes longer, now out the door

On 2/28/2016 at 11:07 PM, CF4L said:

And yet you think he wants to be a Colt based on what? The fact he used to play here so did a lot of other people doesn't mean they want to return either. Look the Colts were a long storied chapter in his career and now so are the Broncos but when it comes down to it they were just places he played. The one place he ever truly loved was Tennessee(Volunteers) he considers himself a Vol before a Colt or Bronco when it comes down to it.

He won an SB with another team a 1 day contract won't change that. So I don't see the big deal others do here about him retiring a Colt. It really makes no difference.

I personally don't think he wants to be an OC at all but if there's one person he'd agree to do that for it would be Eli is my point.

you're stating an awful lot of opinions as fact

On 2/28/2016 at 11:46 PM, CF4L said:

I'm a she but I'm pointing out reality here if he doesn't retire a Colt then I'm curious what your response will be.

He may have been a Vol for 4 years but he still shows love for them no matter what I don't see him doing that with the Colts/Broncos. I mean he doesn't hate them but he's not as attached. 

I don't think Manning was upset when the Colts dumped him I mean it worked great for him after all. But I think its laughable that people think he was okay with what Irsay said about him after the fact publically when he has not said anything bad about Indy.

Do you have anything to base any of this on?