Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GOAT to retire

JRnINDY

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

And yet you think he wants to be a Colt based on what? The fact he used to play here so did a lot of other people doesn't mean they want to return either. Look the Colts were a long storied chapter in his career and now so are the Broncos but when it comes down to it they were just places he played. The one place he ever truly loved was Tennessee(Volunteers) he considers himself a Vol before a Colt or Bronco when it comes down to it.

He won an SB with another team a 1 day contract won't change that. So I don't see the big deal others do here about him retiring a Colt. It really makes no difference.

I personally don't think he wants to be an OC at all but if there's one person he'd agree to do that for it would be Eli is my point.

I seem to remember Peyton saying he would always be a Colt. The Colts were the team that took him with the first pick and the rest is history. It may not make a difference to you but there are others who have different opinions.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I seem to remember Peyton saying he would always be a Colt. The Colts were the team that took him with the first pick and the rest is history. It may not make a difference to you but there are others who have different opinions.

Until the Colts dumped him and then he went to become a Bronco I'm sure he'll say the same thing to them as well. 

I don't think he hates the Colts or anything but I think its rather presumptuous that people think Manning has this love for the Colts that he has for UT. He doesn't. That as soon as the Broncos release him he will come and retire as a Colt because he loves the Colts so much. I don't see that. 

If he retires he will retire and that will be it and people should respect that. 

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

Until the Colts dumped him and then he went to become a Bronco I'm sure he'll say the same thing to them as well. 

I don't think he hates the Colts or anything but I think its rather presumptuous that people think Manning has this love for the Colts that he has for UT. He doesn't. That as soon as the Broncos release him he will come and retire as a Colt because he loves the Colts so much. I don't see that. 

If he retires he will retire and that will be it and people should respect that. 

Manning said he would always be a Colt on the same day he was cut by the Colts. I guess you didn't see or remember what was said during the press conference. I have no clue as to what will happen but being presumptuous is pretty common from what has been said in the past.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Manning said he would always be a Colt on the same day he was cut by the Colts. I guess you didn't see or remember what was said during the press conference. I have no clue as to what will happen but being presumptuous is pretty common from what has been said in the past.

I do remember that just like I remember Irsay saying that he was disappointed Manning only won 1 SB with the Colts. That he only wanted players who wanted more than 1 ring(yeah that looks real dumb now doesn't it?) after the Colts beat Denver when he returned the first time.

I guess you didn't see or remember that either. 

He'll also say he loves the Broncos too and will always be one when he retires. He doesn't want to leave behind ill will like Favre had at the end of his career so he'll say nice things about both teams publically. 

3 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I do remember that just like I remember Irsay saying that he was disappointed Manning only won 1 SB with the Colts. That he only wanted players who wanted more than 1 ring(yeah that looks real dumb now doesn't it?) after the Colts beat Denver when he returned the first time.

I guess you didn't see or remember that either. 

He'll also say he loves the Broncos too and will always be one when he retires. He doesn't want to leave behind ill will like Favre had at the end of his career so he'll say nice things about both teams publically. 

You seem to add your own context on what Irsay said. But alias, no more comments from you as you are too argumentative. People have different opinions and points of views and continuing this is useless.

I guess people forgot all about this I don't know about you but I find it hard to believe that Manning and Co didn't want more than 1 ring however it doesn't always work out that way. How people think this wasn't an insult is laughable to me. The Packers never did this with Favre. Even the Patriots didn't trash Drew Bledsoe.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24128708/jim-irsay-to-play-for-colts-you-have-to-want-more-than-1-super-bowl

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You seem to add your own context on what Irsay said. But alias, no more comments from you as you are too argumentative. People have different opinions and points of views and continuing this is useless.

I am ignoring him, he seems negative about how Peyton feels about our organization. When Peyton left it was mutual and Peyton has never said anything bad about the Colts and did say he would always be a Colt in his press conference when he left. He will always be more a Colt than a Vol or Bronco because he was a Colt for 14 seasons. He was a Vol for 4 and a Bronco for 4. It's not even debatable IMO.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am ignoring him, he seems negative about how Peyton feels about our organization. When Peyton left it was mutual and Peyton has never said anything bad about the Colts and did say he would always be a Colt in his press conference when he left. He will always be more a Colt than a Vol or Bronco because he was a Colt for 14 seasons. He was a Vol for 4 and a Bronco for 4. It's not even debatable IMO.

I'm a she but I'm pointing out reality here if he doesn't retire a Colt then I'm curious what your response will be.

He may have been a Vol for 4 years but he still shows love for them no matter what I don't see him doing that with the Colts/Broncos. I mean he doesn't hate them but he's not as attached. 

I don't think Manning was upset when the Colts dumped him I mean it worked great for him after all. But I think its laughable that people think he was okay with what Irsay said about him after the fact publically when he has not said anything bad about Indy.

9 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I'm a she but I'm pointing out reality here if he doesn't retire a Colt then I'm curious what your response will be.

He may have been a Vol for 4 years but he still shows love for them no matter what I don't see him doing that with the Colts/Broncos. I mean he doesn't hate them but he's not as attached. 

I don't think Manning was upset when the Colts dumped him I mean it worked great for him after all. But I think its laughable that people think he was okay with what Irsay said about him after the fact publically when he has not said anything bad about Indy.

You can pick and choose the context as what was said to fit your agenda all you care to. I am not buying it.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You can pick and choose the context as what was said to fit your agenda all you care to. I am not buying it.

Me either. Lets say he doesn't sign a 1 day contract to retire a Colt if he does indeed retire from the Broncos it wont bother me any. I am good either way. Fact is he played most of his career here in Indianapolis won a Ring and 4 of his League MVP's here, and won his only SB MVP here. So people can think and Post how ever they see fit to fit their agenda, no bigge.

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm watching tape of 'Denver Peyton' and his first visit to Indy....

Good game..great night..

...I'm sad.........but Andrew is really the next Peyton Manning now

Andrew will be Great, people just need to give it time. He is already Very Good but was just injured last season. Question is can Grigs put a team around him that can get us over the hump. It took Peyton 9 seasons before he reached and won a SB. Andrew has already been to a Title Game really with a mediocre Defense, Bad O.Line, and no running game

I sure do agree with that CBE.....Luck had 3 very good years and then he missed half of last year...

We easily make the playoffs if he plays all 16 games...

The point about Peyton is forgotten.....He played in 4 Super Bowls in his last 10 years but he had to go long and hard to get there the first time...

We need a couple of O-linemen and an impact player like a Bob Sanders  or Dwight Freeney were and we'll get to the title game. We aren't that far away.

Unlike most here..I was a big fan of John Elway when he played. I loved Joe Montana because he was from Notre Dame. When they retired, I felt no one like them would ever come again.

But Peyton did...and I truly didn't recognize he was THAT GUY for the first couple of years..

Andrew is clearly THAT GUY...its obvious.

can wit for the draft and free agency to we can put a couple of better players around him

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I sure do agree with that CBE.....Luck had 3 very good years and then he missed half of last year...

We easily make the playoffs if he plays all 16 games...

The point about Peyton is forgotten.....He played in 4 Super Bowls in his last 10 years but he had to go long and hard to get there the first time...

We need a couple of O-linemen and an impact player like a Bob Sanders  or Dwight Freeney were and we'll get to the title game. We aren't that far away.

Unlike most here..I was a big fan of John Elway when he played. I loved Joe Montana because he was from Notre Dame. When they retired, I felt no one like them would ever come again.

But Peyton did...and I truly didn't recognize he was THAT GUY for the first couple of years..

Andrew is clearly THAT GUY...its obvious.

can wit for the draft and free agency to we can put a couple of better players around him

I never seen Johnny U play so I always had Joe Montana and John Elway as the 2 best QB's I have ever seen HANDSDOWN as well until recently because of Peyton and Tom. Eventhough Dan Marino never won a SB I think he belongs in with all the QB's I just mentioned as well. I still would probably put Montana #1.

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Agenda? Okay I just think people who expect Manning to sign a one day contract with the Colts will end up being disappointed. Those comments Irsay said aren't forgotten by him. 

If he does decide to do so well great I guess but I just hope that people won't hold it against him if he doesn't. And I see it coming a mile away that there will be Colts fans around here that will feel slighted over it.

When its not a big deal because most of us remember as a Colt regardless.

4 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Agenda? Okay I just think people who expect Manning to sign a one day contract with the Colts will end up being disappointed. Those comments Irsay said aren't forgotten by him. 

If he does decide to do so well great I guess but I just hope that people won't hold it against him if he doesn't. And I see it coming a mile away that there will be Colts fans around here that will feel slighted over it.

It's not a big deal to me, really isn't. Would it be cool if he did, yes but if he doesn't it wont change my opinion of Peyton. Like I said he had most of best seasons with the Colts and won all of his MVP's in Indianapolis except 1 and won his only SB MVP in Indy.

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

Agenda? Okay I just think people who expect Manning to sign a one day contract with the Colts will end up being disappointed. 

I don't think anyone is expecting anything. I also don't see anyone being slighted over anything either. You are putting way too much into this. First you make comments about Irsay that were taken out of context by you. Then you try to make a big deal out of what most feel is no big deal. Yes, there are some who would like Manning to sign a one day deal but if it don't happen I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I can't call someone the GOAT whose every ring is tainted by cheating. 

Rings are a team thing anyway. I guess if Brady breaks the records that manning holds it could be debated at that time. The GOAT thing has been going on forever without a clear cut answer. There will never be a clear cut answer either. There are way too many variables to consider even going there.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think anyone is expecting anything. I also don't see anyone being slighted over anything either. You are putting way too much into this. First you make comments about Irsay that were taken out of context by you. Then you try to make a big deal out of what most feel is no big deal. Yes, there are some who would like Manning to sign a one day deal but if it don't happen I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it.

I don't get how they were taken out of context he said that he only wants players that want more than one ring. Yeah I have yet to see an NFL player that only wanted 1 ring there are many who have none despite their talent. He just seems really ungrateful to me and I wonder how patient he will be if this current regime doesn't get an SB let alone appear in one. That's very possible given how inept the FO is.

Getting to an SB is hard winning one is even harder let alone more than one.

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

I don't get how they were taken out of context he said that he only wants players that want more than one ring. Yeah I have yet to see an NFL player that only wanted 1 ring there are many who have none despite their talent. He just seems really ungrateful to me and I wonder how patient he will be if this current regime doesn't get an SB let alone appear in one. That's very possible given how inept the FO is.

Getting to an SB is hard winning one is even harder let alone more than one.

So exactly what is wrong with an owner who wants players who want to win super bowls?  So it would be OK to you for Irsay to say he don't want those type of players? You are making something out of nothing. Do you work for the media?

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So exactly what is wrong with an owner who wants players who want to win super bowls?  So it would be OK to you for Irsay to say he don't want those type of players? You are making something out of nothing. Do you work for the media?

I know, I don't get her angle on this either. She is making something out of nothing. Maybe she's bored?

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Because many players that have retired have came back and been position coaches first

Sure,  many players.....     but none of them are Peyton Manning level.

John Elway never coached....   he went to the front office and now he's a Super Bowl winning GM.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Sure,  many players.....     but none of them are Peyton Manning level.

John Elway never coached....   he went to the front office and now he's a Super Bowl winning GM.

I agree I cant see someone like Peyton ever Coaching period. I think he either becomes GM of a team like Elway or Part Owner of a team. If neither I see Broadcasting.

well Peyton you were my hero growing up, the extreme ups of the regular seasons just to get rolled in playoffs, then finally the pinnacle. finally, many i think will agree that year the real superbowl was the AFCCG. after the NO superbowl is probably the drunkest and stupidest ive ever got in my life, then the injury. As soon as you became a Bronco i became a Bronco fan, all the records that remarkable season that people seem to forget about because of the Seattle beat down. Which by the way very reminiscent.

Its so fitting you carried your teams for so long just to get to roll in to the sunset with a team that finally won it for you. I know there is no such thing a GOAT many people can argue Montana, Brady, whatever. For me your the greatest 

32 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

well Peyton you were my hero growing up, the extreme ups of the regular seasons just to get rolled in playoffs, then finally the pinnacle. finally, many i think will agree that year the real superbowl was the AFCCG. after the NO superbowl is probably the drunkest and stupidest ive ever got in my life, then the injury. As soon as you became a Bronco i became a Bronco fan, all the records that remarkable season that people seem to forget about because of the Seattle beat down. Which by the way very reminiscent.

Its so fitting you carried your teams for so long just to get to roll in to the sunset with a team that finally won it for you. I know there is no such thing a GOAT many people can argue Montana, Brady, whatever. For me your the greatest 

I was a Colts fan before Peyton (been one since they moved to Indianapolis when I was a teenager) but he became my favorite player in time and remains my favorite player of all-time. To me whether he signs a 1 day contract and retires as a Colt or doesn't it doesn't really matter. IMO as I have stated in the past with discussions with others in here he will always be remembered more as a Colt than any other team. He accomplished more in Indianapolis than he did in Denver when you factor in MVP's and the SB MVP + his longevity here. If he signs a 1 day contract and does retire a Colt than that would be super cool, if he doesn't, it doesn't change anything. He will still no doubt show up for the Ring of Honor and I would bet anyone in here on that and he will get his jersey retired as well.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was a Colts fan before Peyton (been one since they moved to Indianapolis when I was a teenager) but he became my favorite player in time and remains my favorite player of all-time. To me whether he signs a 1 day contract and retires as a Colt or doesn't it doesn't really matter. IMO as I have stated in the past with discussions with others in here he will always be remembered more as a Colt than any other team. He accomplished more in Indianapolis than he did in Denver when you factor in MVP's and the SB MVP + his longevity here. If he signs a 1 day contract and does retire a Colt than that would be super cool, if he doesn't, it doesn't change anything. He will still no doubt show up for the Ring of Honor and I would bet anyone in here on that and he will get his jersey retired as well.

To add to my Post, whether he is GOAT is debatable. Tons of criteria go into who is the GOAT. Some people value Stats over Rings, others value Rings over Stats. Some put major emphasis on League MVP's and SB MVP's. It's really all opinion but he would be 1 of the names I would consider along with Montana, Brady, Elway, Marino, Favre, and Unitas. Regarding Unitas I can only go by video of him that I have seen and his Stats and Championships won because I was too young to watch him live. Marino doesn't have any Rings but I still think he belongs, Favre was pretty reckless with the ball in many of his seasons but I think he belongs at least in the discussion as well. People that put major emphasis on SB Rings would include Bradshaw who has 4 and Aikman 3 but those QB's Stats were very Average for their career's.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to my Post, whether he is GOAT is debatable. Tons of criteria go into who is the GOAT. Some people value Stats over Rings, others value Rings over Stats. Some put major emphasis on League MVP's and SB MVP's. It's really all opinion but he would be 1 of the names I would consider along with Montana, Brady, Elway, Marino, Favre, and Unitas. Regarding Unitas I can only go by video of him that I have seen and his Stats and Championships won because I was too young to watch him live. Marino doesn't have any Rings but I still think he belongs, Favre was pretty reckless with the ball in many of his seasons but I think he belongs at least in the discussion as well. People that put major emphasis on SB Rings would include Bradshaw who has 4 and Aikman 3 but those QB's Stats were very Average for their career's.

your post are both legit just for me to clarify though when peyton became a bronco doesnt mean i wasnt rooting against him when he played the Colts!

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes, the #18 will never be worn by another Colt. Irsay has made that very clear.

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

your post are both legit just for me to clarify though when peyton became a bronco doesnt mean i wasnt rooting against him when he played the Colts!

Peyton's record against the Colts if I am not mistaken was 1-3. At least the Colts did bring their best when they faced him.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Peyton's record against the Colts if I am not mistaken was 1-3. At least the Colts did bring their best when they faced him.

You are correct sir. Andrew has a bunch of huge wins outside of the Division. It's completely false when people say Andrew cant win outside of the Division. He has beat the Broncos 3 times including the Playoffs, Chiefs 3 times including the Playoffs, has beat the Bengals, Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers when they were still Very Good in 2013 at SF. To change the subject back to Peyton, I will go out on a limb and already predict before the Draft and Free Agency that the Chiefs will win the West next season if he retires and Brock is the QB. Peyton's presence alone out on the field makes a huge difference.

19 minutes ago, bradgt04 said:

I don't know..,they do make the best lawn mowers

When I first started hearing people bring up the term GOAT in chat on the internet I first thought of a guy that lost the big game. Goat used to mean a player that messed up at a crucial time in a huge Playoff game in all sports. I was even confused at first when some were using at as Greatest of All-Time. Back in the 80's and 90's it meant you blew a huge game.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When I first started hearing people bring up the term GOAT in chat on the internet I first thought of a guy that lost the big game. Goat used to mean a player that messed up at a crucial time in a huge Playoff game in all sports. I was even confused at first when some were using at as Greatest of All-Time. Back in the 80's and 90's it meant you blew a huge game.

Lol, me too! I remember thinking that GOAT means you screwed up not Greatest Of All Time.....but now it is accepted as both.