Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GOAT to retire

JRnINDY

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I agree...somehow the quote is giving me trouble? But my pick for the greatest QB is hands down Unitas.

Yep. Called his own plays. Took horrible beatings when rules didn't protect qbs. Was chosen best nfl QB of first 50 years. 

I will still be gently elbowing the person sitting next to me on the couch when the Colts make a big play but that elbowing started with Peyton as a Colt, so I will thank him for that and all those wonderful years :)

Just stay away from my elbows while I am watching the Colts game :thmup:

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I agree...somehow the quote is giving me trouble? But my pick for the greatest QB is hands down Unitas.

Out of Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Starr, Tarkenton, Griese, Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Marino, S.Young, Aikman, Favre, Peyton, and Tom - I listed them by as the decades went on (16 Great one's), I would say Montana is still my #1. He won 4 SB's and threw 0 picks in those SB's going 4-0 and he did win 2 League MVP's and 3 SB MVP's + he at least had reasonably Good stats with over 40,000 Yards passing and 275 TD's compared to lets say a Bradshaw who's Stats were Average. He could also scramble pretty well in his younger days so he wasn't 1 dimensional either. He was Clutch in every Big game I could ever remember too. Tom lost to Eli twice in the SB and once as a 14 point favorite with an undefeated season on the line so he is not better than Montana. Montana would've never lost that SB IMO.

On 2/28/2016 at 0:18 AM, oldunclemark said:

I sure do agree with that CBE.....Luck had 3 very good years and then he missed half of last year...

We easily make the playoffs if he plays all 16 games...

That's a bit of a stretch.  The Colts were 2-5 in the games Luck played last year.  Yes that was with Pep and Pep did cause his fair share of issues, but some of the issues were on Luck himself and the decisions he was making.  Yes, things looked much better in the Denver game, but I think it's a bit naive to think that we "easily make the playoffs" if Luck plays all 16 games considering how he looked in the 7 games in which he did play.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

That's a bit of a stretch.  The Colts were 2-5 in the games Luck played last year.  Yes that was with Pep and Pep did cause his fair share of issues, but some of the issues were on Luck himself and the decisions he was making.  Yes, things looked much better in the Denver game, but I think it's a bit naive to think that we "easily make the playoffs" if Luck plays all 16 games considering how he looked in the 7 games in which he did play.

It isn't a stretch, if Luck plays against the Texans we win and that was for the Division. Luck puts up way more than 10 points in that game.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't a stretch, if Luck plays against the Texans we win and that was for the Division. Luck puts up way more than 10 points in that game.

Ok, that's one game...there were 9 games played without Luck.  There's no way to predict that the outcomes of those games are the same with Luck, as I said, especially considering the way he was playing during those first 7 games.

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Ok, that's one game...there were 9 games played without Luck.  There's no way to predict that the outcomes of those games are the same with Luck, as I said, especially considering the way he was playing during those first 7 games.

It's all opinion but the games Hass won as starter I am sure Luck would've won too. Hass beat pretty mediocre teams. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Hass did but do you really think we don't win the Division if Andrew plays all 16 games?

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's all opinion but the games Hass won as starter I am sure Luck would've won too. Hass beat pretty mediocre teams. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Hass did but do you really think we don't win the Division if Andrew plays all 16 games?

I have no idea.  He was playing very poorly the first 7 games and not all of it was because of Pep and/or injury.  There were mistakes Luck was making and throws that he missed that had nothing to do with anyone but him. 

I think it's safer to say that the Colts would have made the playoffs if MH had started the first 7 games than it is to say they make the playoffs if Luck plays the last 9.

Already starting to see and hear some grumbling among his fans about the possibility of him not retiring a Colt.  It's a childish wish...some people need to grow up.  He's earned the right to retire on his own terms and owes Colts fans nothing. 

I really enjoyed Woody Paige's article. 

13 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

Already starting to see and hear some grumbling among his fans about the possibility of him not retiring a Colt.  It's a childish wish...some people need to grow up.  He's earned the right to retire on his own terms and owes Colts fans nothing. 

It doesn't matter to me, I respect Peyton either way and whatever he does I am ok with. He brought Indianapolis a SB Ring, he isn't LeBron quitter where he has to go elsewhere to seek a ring. What a let down for the city of Cleveland. He comes back and they have 0 chance vs a team like the Warriors. Karma is funny that way haha Peyton will always be loved in Indy, he toughed it out, won a Ring for the City/State of Indiana and did his part here.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Out of Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Starr, Tarkenton, Griese, Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Marino, S.Young, Aikman, Favre, Peyton, and Tom - I listed them by as the decades went on (16 Great one's), I would say Montana is still my #1. He won 4 SB's and threw 0 picks in those SB's going 4-0 and he did win 2 League MVP's and 3 SB MVP's + he at least had reasonably Good stats with over 40,000 Yards passing and 275 TD's compared to lets say a Bradshaw who's Stats were Average. He could also scramble pretty well in his younger days so he wasn't 1 dimensional either. He was Clutch in every Big game I could ever remember too. Tom lost to Eli twice in the SB and once as a 14 point favorite with an undefeated season on the line so he is not better than Montana. Montana would've never lost that SB IMO.

I have Montana right behind Unitas.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I have Montana right behind Unitas.

I remember Unitas at times making some surpsingly nice runs , some for tds to right corner, why that image sticks with me I dont know, for someone who physically looked broken he hadled all like a true athlete

In 1955 Balt colts 1st draft pick was a good QB named George shaw who quickly became a liked  starter

Later think in 56 His back up became a skinny kid  picked up from the sandlots who was making $6 a game with uneven shoulders the team sought of jokingly made fun about physically, in 1956 Shaw broke his leg and that skinny kid Unitas went in, by the time the game was over no more jokes , the team knew they had a new QB and when healthy the former first round pick was now the backup

Peyton tells agent Condom

I really like to play

EXCERPT  from  interview with agent Condom  & authors thoughts

"The closest he's got to disclosing any of his intentions was that he said he just wanted to take his time and make sure and he said 'I really like to play,'" Condon said.

it sounds like Manning is truly torn about what he wants to do. Someone who "really likes to play" probably isn't ready to call it quits for good. On the other hand Manning is likely very aware that his talents aren't what they used to be & retirement might be the best option.

The other wrench in Manning's plan could be he knows that the Broncos don't seem to want him back.

(( if u listen to Elway they are making FA spending plans as if they will have Peytons 19 million to use ))

That means that part of Manning's decision could be him asking himself, "If I come back, do I really want to play for another team?"

Condon said that Manning's doing the research on his retirement decision, just like the quarterback did after his career with the Colts ended in 2012.

"When he was leaving Indianapolis ... his research was fantastic in trying to decide where he was going to go," Condon said. "This is a little bit different. No question that he'll continue on with the research."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25499934/could-peyton-manning-return-qb-gives-interesting-hint-to-his-agent

BTW - I think he has to take his yearly physical by end of this week or next

Thanks 'B'

This really hints as to what's going on. Of course, he wants to keep playing.

I don't know how the Broncos can sign Brock long term but play Peyton......even if they could get rid of the 19 mil cap hit ...

there is logic to keeping the entire team together and trying to win back-to-back...but you lose Osweiler doing that....Denver cant keep Peyton....I dont see a way..

But the Rams? Houston?  You know they've made a phone call

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Thanks 'B'

This really hints as to what's going on. Of course, he wants to keep playing.

I don't know how the Broncos can sign Brock long term but play Peyton......even if they could get rid of the 19 mil cap hit ...

there is logic to keeping the entire team together and trying to win back-to-back...but you lose Osweiler doing that....Denver cant keep Peyton....I dont see a way..

But the Rams? Houston?  You know they've made a phone call

whoever i am quoting i am sorry i dont mean to, this new format doesnt work so well on my linux.

i just came to say report on NFL .com just came out that Peyton has sayd nothing to the Broncos organization about his decision, the earlier report had 0 truth to it and Peyton will not make any annoucement this week.

March 9 his guaranteed money comes in to play so if he does not decide by then look for the Broncos to either restructure Manning on a cheaper deal or work out a contract with Brock and release Manning, feeling is though that he will decide before march 9th and is highly unlikely he remains in Denver

3 hours ago, bayone said:

Peyton tells agent Condom

I really like to play

EXCERPT  from  interview with agent Condom  & authors thoughts

"The closest he's got to disclosing any of his intentions was that he said he just wanted to take his time and make sure and he said 'I really like to play,'" Condon said.

it sounds like Manning is truly torn about what he wants to do. Someone who "really likes to play" probably isn't ready to call it quits for good. On the other hand Manning is likely very aware that his talents aren't what they used to be & retirement might be the best option.

The other wrench in Manning's plan could be he knows that the Broncos don't seem to want him back.

(( if u listen to Elway they are making FA spending plans as if they will have Peytons 19 million to use ))

That means that part of Manning's decision could be him asking himself, "If I come back, do I really want to play for another team?"

Condon said that Manning's doing the research on his retirement decision, just like the quarterback did after his career with the Colts ended in 2012.

"When he was leaving Indianapolis ... his research was fantastic in trying to decide where he was going to go," Condon said. "This is a little bit different. No question that he'll continue on with the research."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25499934/could-peyton-manning-return-qb-gives-interesting-hint-to-his-agent

BTW - I think he has to take his yearly physical by end of this week or next

He's retiring I mean yes I could see him wanting to play I mean even Hasselbeck wants to play doesn't mean he can or will either. If he doesn't choose to retire the decision will be made for him. He's going to be 40 it will be downhill for him I mean sure there's Brady but he's going to hit that wall real soon if he hasn't already.

I think the Broncos release him and then he retires as neither a member of the Colts or Broncos but from the NFL in general.

11 hours ago, Jason_S said:

you're stating an awful lot of opinions as fact

Since he left the Colts has he said anything that makes you think he cares about them beyond the fact he used to play for them? It will be the same with Denver BTW. They were an employer nothing more. 

Sure he'll be around for the 2006 SB team celebrations and stuff like that but beyond that he doesn't care for the Colts or Broncos for that matter.

I just think people here have wishful thinking that Manning wanted to be a Colt forever(and at one point it might've been true) its a business players move on so do teams. That he'll sign some ceremonial one day contract to retire a Colt(because for some reason that actually means something) Its the fans that only get emotionally attached when we probably shouldn't.

It also doesn't help that Irsay lamenting publically about only winning 1 ring and rehashing the Luck/Manning decision despite most of us understanding why he did it probably doesn't help either.

He'll part with the Broncos as well but I don't think it will be nearly as ugly because there's no emotional attachment and Elway will handle it better publically than Irsay did.

9 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Since he left the Colts has he said anything that makes you think he cares about them beyond the fact he used to play for them? It will be the same with Denver BTW. They were an employer nothing more. 

Sure he'll be around for the 2006 SB team celebrations and stuff like that but beyond that he doesn't care for the Colts or Broncos for that matter.

I just think people here have wishful thinking that Manning wanted to be a Colt forever(and at one point it might've been true) its a business players move on so do teams. That he'll sign some ceremonial one day contract to retire a Colt(because for some reason that actually means something) Its the fans that only get emotionally attached when we probably shouldn't.

It also doesn't help that Irsay lamenting publically about only winning 1 ring and rehashing the Luck/Manning decision despite most of us understanding why he did it probably doesn't help either.

He'll part with the Broncos as well but I don't think it will be nearly as ugly because there's no emotional attachment and Elway will handle it better publically than Irsay did.

Again,   opinion based on nothing .  What city is the Peyton Manning children's hospital located in? 

11 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Based on nothing? What exactly are you basing on the fact he cares about the Colts beyond the fact he used to work for them. Now the hospital is another story and if he thought he was going to be cut by the Colts he probably wouldn't have bothered with that either. That I believe he cares about but that has nothing to do with the Colts either. Look a lot of us have an attachment to Peyton myself included but I think people here overestimate how much he cares about the Colts. He also says the Broncos are great as well as their fans he said that about us once upon a time. Isn't it possible that he doesn't favor the Colts or Broncos based on that?

This is a Colts forum and got the nerve to say Peyton isn't the Goat !? If any fan should know it's a colts fan or should I say a real colts fan , we all know if Peyton had a Belichick and  Vinatieri than we would of had a hand full of rings !it was same story every year Soft Defense and average at best Oline ! Not to mentioned horrible Special teams ! Time of possession was always against us , And still he has all the QB records ! 4 different head coaches 4 SB appearances! So yes the Goat can do whatever he wants to do he will forever be a Colt and even non colt fans know this so why don't we I just don't get it !?

I love Peyton Manning more than any fan but if I was doing a Top 5 I would go:

1. Montana

2. Unitas

3. Tommy - I know kill me Colts fans and I defend Peyton more than anyone here haha

4. Elway

5. Peyton - he makes my Top 5 and is my favorite player of all-time. I don't get butthurt like Pats fans do when Peyton wins and can least admit Tom is Great. Their hate for Peyton is outrageously stupid on Sites I wont mention.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would probably go Montana 1, Unitas 2, and then between Elway, Peyton, and Tom it's a toss up but they are all in my Top 5. It's tough for me to judge Unitas because I never seen him live.

Its funny how, when you look at the 5 you've named, other than Elway, none were great athletes.

I only saw Unitas at the and of his career and he was very much like Peyton, still an unquestioned leader who ran his own offense..

His late 50s numbers translate into much more 'had he played today' and he had the backtoback chamionships

15 hours ago, General_Hux said:

Why is hoping Manning retires a Colt childish? No one said in here that Manning don't have the right to do what he wants. No one said Manning owes anyone anything. If it needs explaining to you why a lot of Colts fans would like Manning to retire a Colt then I guess there is nothing I would say that would enlighten you. You can add your own spin on comments made but there is no need to blow it up and use it as an excuse to insult Manning fans. You call It grumbling? What? Because some fans would like to see Manning retire as a Colt you call it grumbling? Maybe it is you that should grow up?

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love Peyton Manning more than any fan but if I was doing a Top 5 I would go:

1. Montana

2. Unitas

3. Tommy - I know kill me Colts fans and I defend Peyton more than anyone here haha

4. Elway

5. Peyton - he makes my Top 5 and is my favorite player of all-time. I don't get butthurt like Pats fans do when Peyton wins and can least admit Tom is Great. Their hate for Peyton is outrageously stupid on Sites I wont mention.

Wanna Bet , I love him more, can u quantify love actually ( LOL ) & I am sure a few others feel the same way right  Mrs Misunderstood

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why is hoping Manning retires a Colt childish? No one said in here that Manning don't have the right to do what he wants. No one said Manning owes anyone anything. If it needs explaining to you why a lot of Colts fans would like Manning to retire a Colt then I guess there is nothing I would say that would enlighten you. You can add your own spin on comments made but there is no need to blow it up and use it as an excuse to insult Manning fans. You call It grumbling? What? Because some fans would like to see Manning retire as a Colt you call it grumbling? Maybe it is you that should grow up?

Someone has 10 accounts and they are grumbling over nothing haha if you know what I mean.

41 minutes ago, bayone said:

Wanna Bet , I love him more, can u quantify love actually ( LOL ) & I am sure a few others feel the same way right  Mrs Misunderstood

You are right I am 3rd :-) I put Gramz first 1st though. My point was I love him more than most but still think he is probably only the 4th or 5th best QB of all-time. That isn't a diss. Top 5 out of millions is Great. Between Brady, Elway, and Peyton you could flip a coin that is how close it is. I do think Montana and Unitas are 1 and 2.

9 hours ago, CF4L said:

Based on nothing? What exactly are you basing on the fact he cares about the Colts beyond the fact he used to work for them. Now the hospital is another story and if he thought he was going to be cut by the Colts he probably wouldn't have bothered with that either. That I believe he cares about but that has nothing to do with the Colts either. Look a lot of us have an attachment to Peyton myself included but I think people here overestimate how much he cares about the Colts. He also says the Broncos are great as well as their fans he said that about us once upon a time. Isn't it possible that he doesn't favor the Colts or Broncos based on that?

I assume you meant to quote me.   I didn't make the claim that I know what he is thinking,   you did.   Then you based it on your opinion and spun it as fact

18 hours ago, General_Hux said:

So, anyone who expresses a wish to have Manning retire a cold is childish?  I really have no idea why you would make such an insulting comment.  FYI, you should have omitted this whole sentence

It's a childish wish...some people need to grow up

because the only purpose of saying such a thing is to take a shot at fans who are just FANS.

Don't do that

As far as this

He's earned the right to retire on his own terms and owes Colts fans nothing. 

We all earn that right. I don't think I've heard anyone say that his fans are owed.  They are big boys and girls and understand how the world works just as well as you.  No need to log into a fan thread just to insult them.

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are right I am 3rd :-) I put Gramz first 1st though. My point was I love him more than most but still think he is probably only the 4th or 5th best QB of all-time. That isn't a diss. Top 5 out of millions is Great. Between Brady, Elway, and Peyton you could flip a coin that is how close it is. I do think Montana and Unitas are 1 and 2.

cant argue about list, we all look at certain particulars & weigh accordingly, I will always fly the friendly skies of Unitas ( United ) best sign ever

I put Gramz , then didnt know if u knew Mrs Misunderstood was her so edited it, could of gone with 2 other names too, real 1 or another avatar

when  dont comment for awhile names change for me even though i read the forum

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now i know this makes no sense, well actually it does from a salesperson point of view

I just got a call from my salesperson telling me my limited edition post SB win Manning inscribed football ball, ( a special one just 1 of 18 done with certain inscription )  will be delivered today , he was & did send  tracking #  to me via e-mail  etc

Then he says I will call u later as he is scheduled to come back in , in a month or 2 to do alot of limited stuff based on his records after he makes his  retirement announcement

Now this is a salesperson trying to sell me more specialty items , 1 is plenty to go with rest of my stuff  , Both Peytons, & my limited edition Unitas ball inscription etc

BUT cant believe Peyton actually told them hes retiring, I am sure he must be simply making assumption, & trying to wet my appetite and If & when Peyton Retires he will come back and do more items but nothing was set in stone by Peyton to them as he implied 

52 minutes ago, bayone said:

Now i know this makes no sense, well actually it does from a salesperson point of view

I just got a call from my salesperson telling me my limited edition post SB win Manning inscribed football ball, ( a special one just 1 of 18 done with certain inscription )  will be delivered today , he was & did send  tracking #  to me via e-mail  etc

Then he says I will call u later as he is scheduled to come back in , in a month or 2 to do alot of limited stuff based on his records after he makes his  retirement announcement

Now this is a salesperson trying to sell me more specialty items , 1 is plenty to go with rest of my stuff  , Both Peytons, & my limited edition Unitas ball inscription etc

BUT cant believe Peyton actually told them hes retiring, I am sure he must be simply making assumption, & trying to wet my appetite and If & when Peyton Retires he will come back and do more items but nothing was set in stone by Peyton to them as he implied 

I would assume you are right. I think the general consensus is Peyton is going to retire. I think so myself but stranger things has happened. Congrads on getting your limited edition football. It's gonna look good on display next to your other stuff. If you can post a picture, I would love to see them. That would be something very few can say they have seen.

Why is it childish to want PM to retire a Colt? He's the greatest player on the franchise and one of the greatest in the history of the game. Do people forget where he spent 75% of his career and that he delivered the first SB to Indianapolis? He's going to be in the ROH and get a statue so is it that childish to want him to come back like many of his teammates did? It's not like he left on bad terms.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would assume you are right. I think the general consensus is Peyton is going to retire. I think so myself but stranger things has happened. Congrads on getting your limited edition football. It's gonna look good on display next to your other stuff. If you can post a picture, I would love to see them. That would be something very few can say they have seen.

My disbilty , i dont even have a smart phone,dexterity issues prevents use so cant take new pictures, old ones done by friend

Choosing files says after I scan picture of what i will get& trey to add as a file says  it cant use over 10.24 KB

URL taken down as all sold out

Peyton has a great Sig too

New PM SB 50 Ball has signature and inscription

2/7/16 in San Fran

Den 24  Car 10

SB 50 Champs

Go Broncos

IN case with SB 50 logo & Denver SB champ

SBXLI ball Sig & inscription SB XLI MVP - not limited

in case with Colt Logo XLI SB Champs

Unitas Limited Edition # 137 of 500, in csae with Colts Logo

inscription says after nice sig

47 consecutive games td passes 

and to me that in that age & 12 games only per season and playing hurt was harder than when record broken

Many Plagies and signatures

& jersey's with signatures  of many player Like  like Walter Peyton, Gretsky, Nolann Ryan

tons of sign bats balls 500 homeroom club & perfect game pitchers, bat & ball & picture set of Bill Terry & Ted Williams last 2 that hit 400, , may bats and balls all signed multiple tickets many superbowl and many from various sections for SB 41

Set of graded 58  ColtTeam and also rookie cards all slabbed & graded

wish could take picture of wall, signed pictures Jim Brown Rice Montana, Koufax Drysdale , )J , Mantle Mays Duke snider & his bat says the DUKE of Flatbush

I could go on

wish I could do more this took forever to do started since u asked , its best I can do I am sure u understand

others that on old site had already uploaded so was able to insert other as other media - my favorite as grew up in Brooklyn unused 1 of 5 or 6 when got at auction last ticket to Dodger Brokklyn home game ever played at ebbets field

I included Bradys 1st SB win here as its pretiest ticket, hologram changes from Lombardi to US flag covering field

post-11-0-81678500-1382717309_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-25284500-1382717290_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-12348500-1380220187_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-40774500-1380220919_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-26460800-1380221241_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-63976600-1380212377_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-42997100-1380220239_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-79369300-1380219508_thumb.jpg

I am just not physically able to do more nor have time to study new site to see if can upload to gallery at this time, that is I assume we still have a gallery