Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals' Vontaze Burfict suspended 3 games

oldunclemark

I'm so confused.      I watched the game live...  On this particular hit  I thought he was leading with his shoulder. :dunno:      Having said that, I think there is no question he's a problem and some discipline is in order, whether from the league, or from his coach.  I'm not surprised by the suspension.  I also don't think it was as bad as the hit on Bernard earlier  in the game, yet not even a penalty on that play, another :scratch:

The part that confuses me, is all the conflicting reports out there on Brown.   First I read that Brown has a concussion, and is in the concussion protocol,  which tells me  no way he should play this weekend.

Then I read, he doesn't have a concussion, he was faking it. :scratch:    Seriously...???  faking it?   

Which is it..??   

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I'm so confused.      I watched the game live...  On this particular hit  I thought he was leading with his shoulder. :dunno:      Having said that, I think there is no question he's a problem and some discipline is in order, whether from the league, or from his coach.  I'm not surprised by the suspension.  I also don't think it was as bad as the hit on Bernard earlier  in the game, yet not even a penalty on that play, another :scratch:

The part that confuses me, is all the conflicting reports out there on Brown.   First I read that Brown has a concussion, and is in the concussion protocol,  which tells me  no way he should play this weekend.

Then I read, he doesn't have a concussion, he was faking it. :scratch:    Seriously...???  faking it?   

Which is it..??   

Same inconsistencies from a league that can't get anything right.

Given the Steelers rep, I would go with Brown faking it. And you left out Joey Porter not getting more than a fine for coming onto the field and swearing at Bengals players.

1 minute ago, ViriLudant said:

He easily could have avoided that hit, as Teddy Bruschi stated yesterday. 

And the suspension wasn't just for the hit, it was for all of his actions throughout the game .

I get that, and as I stated, I know he's a problem, I expected he'd get punishment, and I'm okay with that.  I just think the Officials were inconsistent in their calls, but that is par for the course with them.

Let me ask you...As far as Brown, do you think he  has a concussion, or do you think he was faking it?

3 minutes ago, ViriLudant said:

With a blow to the head like that, it's hard to tell.  I don't necessarily buy Pacman's claim that Briwn winked at him.  

If Briwn is practicing tomorrow , then I'd say that the hit wasn't that bad (for fairly obvious reasons).

Well I would hope the Steelers wouldn't have him out there on the field if he does have a concussion.  However....

Here is just one of many reports I've been reading

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown will likely miss Sunday’s divisional round game against the Denver Broncos due to a concussion, reportsESPN’s Bob Holtzman.

Brown sustained the head injury on a hit by Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict in Pittsburgh's 18–16 win in Saturday's AFC wild-card matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals. Burfict was flagged, helping set up a game-winning field goal by Steelers kicker Chris Boswell.

Burfict came in high as Brown was trying to make a catch across the middle, hitting the receiver’s helmet with his shoulder pad. Brown was forced to leave the game after the hit and was later diagnosed with a concussion.

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Well I would hope the Steelers wouldn't have him out there on the field if he does have a concussion.  However....

Here is just one of many reports I've been reading

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown will likely miss Sunday’s divisional round game against the Denver Broncos due to a concussion, reportsESPN’s Bob Holtzman.

Brown sustained the head injury on a hit by Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict in Pittsburgh's 18–16 win in Saturday's AFC wild-card matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals. Burfict was flagged, helping set up a game-winning field goal by Steelers kicker Chris Boswell.

Burfict came in high as Brown was trying to make a catch across the middle, hitting the receiver’s helmet with his shoulder pad. Brown was forced to leave the game after the hit and was later diagnosed with a concussion.

There are reports from Pitt newspapers that he was fine after the game and is expected to play. Have to wait to see how he does in the concussion protocol. I agree with Vir that if he is practicing tomorrow than either the hit was not bad at all or Pacman was right and he was faking.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same too. Steelers do get favorable status when instigating what I call "dirty" plays.

I think Sunday's game will make the Bengals/Steelers game look tame. You have the dirty Steelers and their dirty coaches versus Denver's dirty defense, Talib and Miller and the gang. Would not be surprised to see a couple of ejections ...

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same too. Steelers do get favorable status when instigating what I call "dirty" plays.

I read an interesting comment yesterday.  The person said Steelers players and fans act this way and do these things all the time and people just :dunno: shrug and say   "ah, yeah that's the Steelers for ya"  but when Bengals and their fans give them some of their own medicine everyone loses their minds. :mindblow:

There will NEVER be consistency in how things are called.  Why?  The game moves too fast, there are 22 players and how many officials?  

I used to officiate high school girls basketball and I can tell you officiating was MUCH easier from the stands than on the court.  Too many times a body is blocking the ref's view while a fan can see it clearly.  And those are some rather large bodies on those fields.  On top of that you could call a foul on every single play of the game.  Do we fans want the game to move at that pace or allow the teams to play?  

I don't think his hit to Brown's head was suspension-worthy.  Brown is already 5'10" whereas Burfict is 6'1".  When Brown was hit, he was crouched over, not standing straight up.  It's not really possible for Burfict to have hit him any lower than he did.  Plus, the play happened so fast that I don't think it's realistic to expect Burfict to be able to stop himself.

I dont think it was suspension worthy but definitely worthy of a flag and possibly a fine, considering he is a repeat offender...

Couldn't be a bigger gift wrapped package for the Broncos than to have Brown miss the game.. with Brown out and Roethlisberger's dislocated/ligament damaged shoulder, the Broncos should be able to beat them soundly at home

On 1/12/2016 at 10:12 PM, jvan1973 said:

When does Ryan Shaziers  suspension start?

The moment he becomes a repeat offender, that's when.

By the way, Mike Pereira and Mike Carey, who both know more about the rule book than you and me combined, are both on record saying that Shazier's hit was legal because Giovani Bernard took two steps and turned, becoming a runner, and no longer being a defenseless receiver. I know that's not what you (and others) want to hear, but I'm sure you'll find a way to cope.

Just now, Gnutella0 said:

By the way, Mike Pereira and Mike Carey, who both know more about the rule book than you and me combined, are both on record saying that Shazier's hit was legal because Giovani Bernard took two steps and turned, becoming a runner, and no longer being a defenseless receiver. I know that's not what you (and others) want to hear, but I'm sure you'll find a way to cope.

He led with the crown of his helmet,   which is against the rules at any point

5 minutes ago, Gnutella0 said:

Devil's advocate...

Then Sean Williams shouldn't have been flagged for his shoulder to chest hit on Bryant in the second quarter. Same rule applies, Bryant caught the ball and made himself a runner, thus taking away the "defenseless receiver" aspect. Carey is a complete Jerk who could barely call a game correctly on his own, let alone now having a better view and STILL can't make the right judgement call. Pittsburgh got a whole lot of help in that game.

Yeah, the Steelers sure got a lot of help when A.J. Green got away with a false start right before scoring the go-ahead TD for the Bengals:

InnocentVainArcticduck.gif

And also when Jeremy Hill got away with taunting William Gay right after said TD:

SnoopyJubilantDavidstiger.gif

Number of flags thrown during this sequence of events? Zero. So spare me all the tired nonesense about how the Steelers get all the calls, BECAUSE IT'S NOT TRUE, AND THE IMAGES ABOVE PROVE IT!

I'm tired of blue-pill football fans. Consider this post a red-pill suppository.

40 minutes ago, Gnutella0 said:

Take it up with those who know the rule book best.

I guess you don't listen to how wrong they are on a weekly basis.  Carrey is the worst.  He trys to guess what the on field refs will call and gets it wrong a lot. 

Fact is what Shazier did is illegal,   period

35 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I guess you don't listen to how wrong they are on a weekly basis.  Carrey is the worst.  He trys to guess what the on field refs will call and gets it wrong a lot. 

Fact is what Shazier did is illegal,   period

Wednesday is the day that the NFL issues fines, so if Ryan Shazier does not receive a fine in the next 10 hours, then you are wrong.

The clock is ticking...

24 minutes ago, Gnutella0 said:

Wednesday is the day that the NFL issues fines, so if Ryan Shazier does not receive a fine in the next 10 hours, then you are wrong.

The clock is ticking...

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8. Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

56 minutes ago, Gnutella0 said:

There was no flag; there is no fine, and there will be no suspension. Like it or not, the NFL considers the play to be legal. Like it or not, the better team won last Saturday night.

It should have been flagged,  it should have been fined.   Like it or not,    Using the crown of the helmet is illegal

To Me that wasn't such a dirty hit in the fact that he took his head off (imo Brown exaggerated) but more so the fact that Vontaze could have easily moved to the left or right and avoided touching him at all. Imho It was a stupid call because there was no way Brown could have caught it and the flag literally cost them the game. 

8 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

3 games was not enough. He deliberately went for his head. He is a disgrace, and his theatrical run down the tunnel made him look like a fool. 

20 hours ago, Myles said:

He deserves more.    He is a repeat offender.   The hit was "dirty" by any account.   He went at the head, not even attempting to hit the body.

As fast as that play happened, how was Burfict supposed to be able to predict where Brown's head was going to wind up?  I watched the slo mo replay frame by frame...I fully believe he was trying to go for Brown's chest, but Brown, at the last second, turned his body and dropped his head so that it wound up exactly where Burfict's shoulder was.  

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

As fast as that play happened, how was Burfict supposed to be able to predict where Brown's head was going to wind up?  I watched the slo mo replay frame by frame...I fully believe he was trying to go for Brown's chest, but Brown, at the last second, turned his body and dropped his head so that it wound up exactly where Burfict's shoulder was.  

lmao he lined him up and way too late. 
A penalty if he hit him at all.  Come on man!