Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

fleener vs allen

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Allen isn't going to re-sign. He's smart enough to go to a team that will utilize him. Unfortunately Grigson is an awful GM and will likely give Fleener a contract around 5 year $40M

Would you care to make a gentleman's bet on what Fleener gets?

Remember,  I like him (but don't love him)  and I don't think he gets anything close to that amount.

And honestly,   I don't think you think he'll get that either.

Probably closer to 4/20 or maybe 4/25....    that would be my guess....

Fleener does not play like his timed speed laterally. Maybe straight line speed may be close to his timed speed but laterally, few abilities to make the defender(s) miss. That does not cut it if you want to become very good at your position. Right now, he is at best just a good TE, not very good or elite, IMO.

Allen is not utilized well but he is not the receiving threat that needs to be a focal point of a defense. But if a team has play makers on the outside, he will thrive underneath as a primary TE option because Ds will have to focus on the play makers. A team like the Steelers, he will replace Heath Miller there and be utilized well.

Fleener - 5 yrs for $25 mil. is what Grigson should give at best.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would you care to make a gentleman's bet on what Fleener gets?

Remember,  I like him (but don't love him)  and I don't think he gets anything close to that amount.

And honestly,   I don't think you think he'll get that either.

Probably closer to 4/20 or maybe 4/25....    that would be my guess....

Sure. Keep in mind Kyle Rudolph signed for 5 year $36.5M a few years back.

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Fleener does not play like his timed speed laterally. Maybe straight line speed may be close to his timed speed but laterally, few abilities to make the defender(s) miss. That does not cut it if you want to become very good at your position. Right now, he is at best just a good TE, not very good or elite, IMO.

Allen is not utilized well but he is not the receiving threat that needs to be a focal point of a defense. But if a team has play makers on the outside, he will thrive underneath as a primary TE option because Ds will have to focus on the play makers. A team like the Steelers, he will replace Heath Miller there and be utilized well.

Fleener - 5 yrs for $25 mil. is what Grigson should give at best.

Consider this year a wash as Allen had to block to make up for that O line. 2013 is a better measuring stick but health is the most important factor especially with this team being the most injured in the entire NFL of the last 6 years. Taking Fleener over Allen for health reasons only. He's not very good and I'm sick of the hair and the fact he only posts pics and videos of himself on social media.

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

No he doesn't and 12 YPC is about average anyway.

Yes he does average over 12 yards per catch. His regular season average is 11,8 and his playoff average is 13. 9. It seems he steps his games up in the playoffs. Oh, by the way he has lost 1 fumble in his career and has an interception.

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Consider this year a wash as Allen had to block to make up for that O line. 2013 is a better measuring stick but health is the most important factor especially with this team being the most injured in the entire NFL of the last 6 years. Taking Fleener over Allen for health reasons only. He's not very good and I'm sick of the hair and the fact he only posts pics and videos of himself on social media.

Sick of the hair? My. My. you sound like my old man did in 1969. haha

Whoever is cheaper. It simply comes down to this for me. Allen has injury issues, but offers something that Fleener can't and that is adequate running blocking. Fleener may be on the field more, and offers "big play" potential, but he plays very soft IMO. It really wouldn't bother me if we let both walk, sign a proven vet cheap, and draft replacements to develop in their places. I am sure Chud has and idea of who he would want at TE.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But wouldn't you think that Rudolph is a better all-around TE than Fleener?

More like Dwayne Allen, a complete TE,  and less like Coby?

Sure I would, but Im not the one drawing up contracts.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Allen is slightly better, he is stronger but he cant stay healthy for some reason so that is the main reason why I would go with Fleener. Fleener is Good but needs to get stronger, a lot of times when he gets hit he drops the ball.

What do you mean he drops the ball? He has one fumble his whole career. As far as dropped catches TY has more drops than Fleener.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's not fumbling, it's when he has a catch he should make, has it in his hands but then gets hit and drops the ball. Something Allen doesn't do much, something Gronk never does.

Allen had more drops this season than Fleener even being thrown to much less. And Gronk does have his share of drops. There are plenty of receives who will not make a catch when a defender hits them. It happens to all receivers. That is called a good play by the defender.

I think we have to keep Fleener. He shouldn't cost that much but I mean I don't get why some are down on him. He wasn't as good this year because Luck was out most of the year. He's a borderline top 10 TE IMO as far as receiving goes. We have to bring him back unless we want to use our 1st round pick on Hunter Henry. If we want to pair a blocking TE with him we can sign a guy like Rhett Ellison for cheep, or draft a good blocking TE in the 4th or 5th round. But here's what I would do. Re-sign Fleener, then bring in one of Marcedes Lewis, Jermaine Gresham, or Vernon Davis on a cheep contract. Lewis or Gresham would take 1year deals IMO. And I think Vernon Davis would thrive here. Playing with his brother and I think he'd love playing with Luck and for Pags. You'd think it would really motivate him, and IMO he can still be an elite TE. But back to the main point. Fleener's good. Here's his stats over the course of his 4year career.

2012 12 games, 26 receptions, 281yards, 2TD's

2013 16 Games, 52 receptions, 608 yards, 4TD's

2014 16 Games, 51 receptions, 774 yards, 8TD's

2015 16 Games, 54 receptions, 491 yards, 3TD's

Fleener has gotten better and better each season. Last year with his 774 yards and 8 TD's he was becoming a top 10 TE in the NFL. This year would have been more of the same had Luck not been injured. But Pep Hamilton also hurt Fleener quite a bit at the beginning of the year. If you guys remember he was barley targeted the first 2 or 3 games. Next season with Luck back and healthy and a competent OC Fleener should be good for 600-700 yards or more and 8-10 TD's.