Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Buccaneers fire HC Lovie Smith (merge)

MTC

I don't get this one.

He coached there under Dungy and is similar to Dungy. The Bucs had to know what they were getting.

Has this team really underperformed that much?

How in the world are guys like Jeff Fisher and Jason Garrett still head coaches but Lovie isn't?

Not only did the team improve,  but they did so with a rookie quarterback!   

There's a reason why this franchise is typically drafting toward the top of every round....   it's a badly owned, badly run organization.    

Lovie will likely emerge as a DC somewhere.....

My mouth dropped when this announcement flashed on my phone. Pretty rough for Winston to have your first NFL coach fired after the  first year of being with him. Two years with marked improvement just to be shown the door? Makes me that much happier we kept pagano.           "Continuity "

Some stats:

Offense

PPG: 21st

YPG: 5th

Pass Yards/Game: 17th

Rush Yds/Game: 5th

Defense:

Pts Allowed/game: 26th

Yds Allowed/game: 10th

Pass Yards/Game: 16th

Rush Yards/game: 11th

Pretty solid for a 2nd year of rebuild. I just don't get it. Rebuilds require patience. 

So let me get this straight - this is a big surprise, but Chip deserved to go?  Both took over a 4-12 team and Chip averaged 8.5 wins a year while Lovie averaged 4.  

I'm surprised by this as well but if anyone has an explanation as to why one is ridiculous while the other is obvious then I'm all ears. 

11 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Ugh you know what...they want Kelly. What *s.

I think Dirk Koetter will be promoted. The Bucs offense had a great year, and I bet he had some interviews lined up. They probably didn't want to lose him and hurt Winston's development.

9 minutes ago, wig said:

So let me get this straight - this is a big surprise, but Chip deserved to go?  Both took over a 4-12 team and Chip averaged 8.5 wins a year while Lovie averaged 4.  

I'm surprised by this as well but if anyone has an explanation as to why one is ridiculous while the other is obvious then I'm all ears. 

It doesn't always take a genius to read between the lines in these cases. See Brad Childress in Minnesota. 

I honestly think they felt Winston is on the same level as Andrew Luck.  I believe they feel they have better pieces on their team than what the Colts had when Luck was drafted.  I'm assuming they were expecting an improvement this year on the level of Luck and RG3s rookie seasons.  Instead they got 6-10, which I can sort of see the angle they may be using, however everything doesn't always work like that.  I thought Lovie had them trending in the right direction.  They just need to add some more pieces to the D and they would have been pretty good.  Everybody knows Lovie would have gotten that D together and the offense would have continued to improve under Koetter.  I think the Bucs are making a sizeable mistake here and they'll end up with some egg on their faces most likely.  Their rebuild is probably going to take longer than they expected. Lovie is kind of like Pagano, people love playing for him.  I don't know who is out there that will be a better candidate than Lovie.  Maybe Hue Jackson I suppose

My guess is they want to bring in an offensive-minded guy (McDaniels, Gase, Jackson) and really develop Jameis to make him elite.  Like Pagano here, I think Lovie is a good candidate for a rebuilding team with a lot of young players, especially a QB like Jameis.  He can show them how to be pros without being super hard on them.  With that said, they've only given him 2 years and his first year wasn't really a rebuilding year, in my opinion.  This is the first year of their rebuild in my eyes, so it's odd to see them go away from him so soon.  But again, I think they were impressed with the promise Jameis showed and want to bring in an offensive-minded head coach to really develop him.

34 minutes ago, snkdy said:

I think Dirk Koetter will be promoted. The Bucs offense had a great year, and I bet he had some interviews lined up. They probably didn't want to lose him and hurt Winston's development.

I can see that. Still, if I were Koetter I would not take the job. He will be fired within 3 years. They will have their 5th coach within a 9-10 year period. That's a sign of a dysfunctional organization. 

I wonder if the Bucs may be interested in hiring Tom Coughlin. He still has a home in Florida and he expressed that he was not ready to leave coaching. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Lavonte David must have deleted his tweet, but according to ESPN, he tweeted this: 

This is stupid, we can't even have a consistent coach, 3 coaches in 5 yrs

Yeah, he deleted it. I actually saw it on his twitter feed.

Tampa Bay is a dumpster fire. They have been a mess since Dungy was kicked out the door, and they've slowly gotten worse and worse every few years. Lovie was not the problem. You don't give a guy this horrible team and in two years, expect him to some how magically change them. He needed more time, as they could have really improved down the line. 

4 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Some stats:

Offense

PPG: 21st

YPG: 5th

Pass Yards/Game: 17th

Rush Yds/Game: 5th

Defense:

Pts Allowed/game: 26th

Yds Allowed/game: 10th

Pass Yards/Game: 16th

Rush Yards/game: 11th

Pretty solid for a 2nd year of rebuild. I just don't get it. Rebuilds require patience. 

Tampa Bay is a very impatient team, run with horrible management. Been that way since 2001. I thought they canned Morris too quick, but getting rid of Lovie like this, is horrible. He needed a few more years to really turn them around. They were already on the road to becoming an average to good team again. 

37 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Tampa Bay is a very impatient team, run with horrible management. Been that way since 2001. I thought they canned Morris too quick, but getting rid of Lovie like this, is horrible. He needed a few more years to really turn them around. They were already on the road to becoming an average to good team again. 

I thought Lovie was doing a nice job of methodically getting that defense better & as the season progressed Jame-is Winston started to take some solid strides forward. Yes, I agree Bogie. Smith should have been given a few more years to right the ship. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I thought Lovie was doing a nice job of methodically getting that defense better & as the season progressed Jame-is Winston started to take some solid strides forward. Yes, I agree Bogie. Smith should have been given a few more years to right the ship. 

It's not his fault at all. Tampa Bay has been a horribly managed team since the minute they kicked Dungy out the door. Under Gruden they managed to get both; the best and worst things possible to ever happen to them. It will probably be another 20 years before they get it together again. They take one step forward, then 5 steps backwards. 

I've seen the Bucs make some really crazy moves and I'm still in shock over this one. Granted, they had losing seasons the past two years but last year, at least 7 of those games they lost were all by a touchdown or less. They had that problem again this year with a number of close loses.