Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh/Saban-no interest in Colts per report

Jules

Harbaugh said that about mid-way through the season and Saban said that a couple weeks ago. Both of them had bowl games so I wouldn't have expected either to say anything about the nfl until after there seasons are through. Not that I expect either too leave especially since Jim got a nice contract and is only a year into the 4 year contract and I think Saban is way to comfortable in Alabama to think about leaving, but hey winning so many games at a college level may get a little boring?

I was hoping for either one,  but I knew it was a long shot. I would have been willing to concede GM and coaching duties to either one.

Saban is too old though,  older than Bellichick even.  Not too exciting. 

Harbaugh, I felt, was a more realistic option. I agonized over the fact he was available and we decided to keep Caldwell instead.

Jim, afterall, left Stanford at a time when they would be vying for a championship and,  if I'm not mistaking,  still had Luck at QB. So I never bought in to the whole sentimentality of Michigan- thing with him.  It does beg the question though,  if he wanted back in the NFL, where is a better landing spot for him? In particular,  if Irsay gave him control over personnel. 

Now I'm left hoping we can steal away someone like Kiem, Thompson, or Schneider for GM... (sigh). We need a top-flight GM. Polian remains the gold standard here in Indy. Shrewd move by Irsay. Now we need another great heist. 

The grass isn't always greener.  Especially in the fickle NFL where you can fired after 2 years.  Those guys have a great chance to have many winning seasons and a fine career the next 10 years.  Don't underestimate the allure of job security.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Not surprised.

The last time we had a high profile coach was ...................NEVER.

Actually Dungy was widely known and respected and left the same way.  Sure he'd been fired, but the team he put together won the Super Bowl the next year.  They just got too impatient.  Getting fired doesn't mean bad coach and he proved his worth with the Colts. Beyond him, I agree we've had mostly losers as coaches.  

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The only way they're leaving is to make a ridiculous offer. Have to make it worth it to leave.

That's true, if you include all the other things these high profile college coaches get, it would take a huge amount of money, particularly with Saban.

Looking at this earlier this month. Some of the guys mentioned on the board as possibilities for HC. Art Briles $4+ mil, Kevin Sumlin make about $5mil, Harbaugh close to $6mil, Saban $7mil+

Two college coaches that I would like us to at least think about- David Shaw at Stanford and if they are foolish enough to let him go Les Mies at LSU.

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The only way they're leaving is to make a ridiculous offer. Have to make it worth it to leave.

I don't think the money will play a part in it all.  Now clearly they won't come to Indy for $500K per year but money will not be a deciding factor as they are both ridiculously wealthy as it is.  The appeal will be more to their ego's - can they achieve success at the highest level the game is played at?  

Personally I don't think Harbaugh is in play at all.  Saban may not be either but I don't give much credence to any report today that suggest he is not interested in the NFL.  He HAS to say that now.  His answer and interest may be totally different on January 12th.

20 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

That's true, if you include all the other things these high profile college coaches get, it would take a huge amount of money, particularly with Saban.

Looking at this earlier this month. Some of the guys mentioned on the board as possibilities for HC. Art Briles $4+ mil, Kevin Sumlin make about $5mil, Harbaugh close to $6mil, Saban $7mil+

Two college coaches that I would like us to at least think about- David Shaw at Stanford and if they are foolish enough to let him go Les Mies at LSU.

I could see David Shaw considering SF, but probably not Indy. He has repeatedly said he wants his kids to grow up around Stanford. Then again, I think Harbaugh said the same at one point, so who knows.

Good. Don't think it's a viable mix from either one of them/Irsay. Jim has to think long and hard on this one if Pagano is not here in '16. Probably one of the biggest decisions he'd make so far. I just hope & pray whatever the pesky nodule plaguing this team is ejected as well.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:06 AM, JPFolks said:

Actually Dungy was widely known and respected and left the same way.  Sure he'd been fired, but the team he put together won the Super Bowl the next year.  They just got too impatient.  Getting fired doesn't mean bad coach and he proved his worth with the Colts. Beyond him, I agree we've had mostly losers as coaches.  

I'm sure the consensus is that dungy was a decent to good coach and well respected.

But I wouldn't say he was considered a high profile or elite HC.

On January 2, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Bogie said:

It would be a dream come true to see Harbaugh back in the saddle with Luck at quarterback. I know it won't happen, but I know that's who I'd want coaching this team. 

I love the comeback kid but his brother is a better coach...give me Jim on Saturdays but John the other 6 days of the week. It won't happen with either but John is the better choice.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I love the comeback kid but his brother is a better coach...give me Jim on Saturdays but John the other 6 days of the week. It won't happen with either but John is the better choice.

That's debatable.  Both are pretty damn good.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

That's debatable.  Both are pretty damn good.

Every time if seen them play each other John has won....and John has had more success against NE then just about any coach I know. Everything is debatable but I feel confident in my opinion....besides John clearly has better relationships with his players.