Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would like a Hue Jackson and Jim Schwartz combo

chad72

I am a fan of Hue Jackson. He understands O-line importance and offensive football real well. I feel that he will be a great candidate for head coach and will help establish an identity for our offense inside and outside the division to win games against elite football teams. Hue Jackson also went .500 with the Raiders as a head coach when they were still drafting Raiders based on 40 times and had lousy QB play. He is also a significant part of Andy Dalton taking the next step as QB, IMO.

Jim Schwartz, I feel, is a very good DC, just not head coach material. He got more out of that Buffalo defensive unit than Rex Ryan did, IMO. 

I would be a fan of Hue Jackson as head coach with Jim Schwartz as DC. Does anyone else feel that way?

Hue will get a lot of attention for sure. I'm not necessarily saying he should or won't be our guy because there will be a lot of conversations to be had with many many candidates. I'm wondering as I posted in another thread if there is a relationship between Ryan and Sean McDermott. McDermott will also be a popular candidate and I believe they worked together in Philly for many years and Sean was even in the scouting department early on. He was a former safety and has a lot of experience with secondary (something that could be our strength) so I would think he would be high on Ryan's list if the news is true that we are going to retain Grigson. Of course they could hate each other I don't know but there is a natural connection there. I think if Payton stays in Miami...I think they sign Hue to work with Tannenhill...it would make a lot of sense given his time in Cincy with Dalton as you said.

15 minutes ago, ALL BLUE said:

If Mr. Irsay does let his coach go I believe he will already have his new coach ready to go. Don't think it will be a lets wait and interview.

Although you have to interview, I think Irsay has had a few candidates in mind since probably last summer.

And probably more than that about 5 minutes after Griff Whalen snapped the ball.haha

4 minutes ago, ALL BLUE said:

Guess what I am saying is he will already know who the next head coach is before he lets Pags go.

Completely disagree.     Unless you're saying Irsay knows who the guy is RIGHT NOW, then your scenario is just not happening.

Pagano will likely go Monday,  Tuesday at the latest.

The interviews will likely start later this week or next.    Unless Irsay has already done some behind the scenes maneuvers -- which is possible, though I don't think likely -- the interview process starts after Pags leaves.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The OP is suggesting Schwartz as the Defensive Coordinator,  NOT the offensive coordinator.

As a DC,  Schwartz is terrific.

Look at my last post he's trash period if he was great he would still have a job in buffalo but he messed that up with his horrible defensive playcalling

20 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Look at my last post he's trash period if he was great he would still have a job in buffalo but he messed that up with his horrible defensive playcalling

When their defense was great?

It's this year that Bills defenders have been complaining about play calling, not when Schwartz was there. 

21 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Ummmm....   the Buffalo defense under Schwartz was 4th in the NFL when he left.

Ryan is the one who has trashed it.    

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am a fan of Hue Jackson. He understands O-line importance and offensive football real well. I feel that he will be a great candidate for head coach and will help establish an identity for our offense inside and outside the division to win games against elite football teams. Hue Jackson also went .500 with the Raiders as a head coach when they were still drafting Raiders based on 40 times and had lousy QB play. He is also a significant part of Andy Dalton taking the next step as QB, IMO.

Jim Schwartz, I feel, is a very good DC, just not head coach material. He got more out of that Buffalo defensive unit than Rex Ryan did, IMO. 

I would be a fan of Hue Jackson as head coach with Jim Schwartz as DC. Does anyone else feel that way?

I would like Pete Carmichael to be our OC and Jim Leavitt to be the LB coach with Jackson/Schwartz. 

16 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

I would like Pete Carmichael to be our OC and Jim Leavitt to be the LB coach with Jackson/Schwartz. 

Kinda taking a leap of faith with Carmichael.  When Payton was suspended he was passed over in favor of two other assistant coaches.  Plus, he's never called the plays.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

When their defense was great?

It's this year that Bills defenders have been complaining about play calling, not when Schwartz was there. 

Their defense was top 10 the year before that they was only improving then but schwartz playcalling is trash it showed when he was in detroit he doesn't need a job in indy

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

The Rooney rule requires that you interview minority candidates 

I'm only asking this because I don't understand the basis for the rule and not to get into a racism discussion. Why would any team not hire or interview a coach because of color? If that coach is qualified, it only hurts them not to interview that coach and they would receive a lot of backlash. It seems to me that they are trying to force teams to hire minority coaches whether they are qualified or not. By this logic, I could say that the NFL should force every team to draft one white player to give them a better chance of succeeding in a mostly black sport.

There's just no benefit to denying an interview to a black coach. It's racism and it only can hurt your team. There doesn't need to be a rule to hold their hands for them.

No thanks to Hue Jackson.  I think the key ingredient to look for in a coach who does much with little.  Bengals are loaded on offense.  So I think about OC they put in will do pretty well.  How many times I have we seen OC from successful teams fail because it was all about the talent.  Not a fan of Jackson

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The OP is suggesting Schwartz as the Defensive Coordinator,  NOT the offensive coordinator.

As a DC,  Schwartz is terrific.

At Tennessee and Detroit, his players seemed to be hotheaded knuckleheads who blew game after game via personal foul penalties. I see it as coming from his coaching.

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Schwartz is available now to interview.  Does Jackson have to wait until they're done or can he interview earlier?  

I just hope Irsay isn't even considering giving a draft pick for Payton.

I don't want that bottom dweller near Andrew Luck! Pagano has been far superior to him. 

I don't know about those 2 guys, but I think having a head coach who is offensive minded and then a new defensive cor is what's needed. The dc should be done one who runs a 3-4. No need to start replacing players to which to a 4-3. 

16 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Their defense was top 10 the year before that they was only improving then but schwartz playcalling is trash it showed when he was in detroit he doesn't need a job in indy

LOL, he didn't call plays in Detroit. He did call plays in Buffalo, and did a good job of it. 

The next HC...or OC...needs to be able to get Luck to elevate his game into elite status, because that's what Irsay will be paying him.  I don't think Hue Jackson has the reputation of being a molder of QBs, at least not that I've read.

Can't say I'd mind Jim Schwartz as DC...as long as he doesn't have to speak.

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm only asking this because I don't understand the basis for the rule and not to get into a racism discussion. Why would any team not hire or interview a coach because of color? If that coach is qualified, it only hurts them not to interview that coach and they would receive a lot of backlash. It seems to me that they are trying to force teams to hire minority coaches whether they are qualified or not. By this logic, I could say that the NFL should force every team to draft one white player to give them a better chance of succeeding in a mostly black sport.

There's just no benefit to denying an interview to a black coach. It's racism and it only can hurt your team. There doesn't need to be a rule to hold their hands for them.

Agree with it or not, but the Rooney Rule was instituted because the NFL didn't believe enough minority candidates were even being considered for head coaching jobs. It's probably outdated by now, but the objective was to get minority candidates in the room, get them some exposure to the process, etc. 

It wasn't created because the NFL thought minorities weren't being hired due to racism. 

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

Kinda taking a leap of faith with Carmichael.  When Payton was suspended he was passed over in favor of two other assistant coaches.  Plus, he's never called the plays.

He probably doesn't want the responsibility/stress that comes with being the HC. Idk. Payton does the play calling, but Carmichael works with him on the strategy. He has called plays tho. When Payton broke his leg in 2011.