Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please Tell Me Everyone In Indiana Doesnt Feel Like Whitlock

antipatriot

That Indiana is pretty much a disgrace to the country? Nope I don't feel like Whitlock at all. Also I know that's not what he wrote here but it's been the subtitle tone of anything he writes about Indianapolis sports for years.

Honestly the only time I've seen him take pride in Indiana is when Ball State was having their undefeated season a couple of years ago and out of no where he was giving all kinds of love to Ball State and acting like he was life long Ball State fans since he had gone there for school. Then as soon as they lost he was off the bandwagon so fast he missed it tipping over from him jumping off it.

Whitlock is just bitter about Indiana. I mean old Baltimore Colts fans think he needs to get over it...

Most of the things Whitlock says is pretty funny and insightful...except when it comes to the Colts.

You have to understand that one of Jason Whitlock's closest friends is Jeff George. Whitlock and George played for Warren Central together. So when George got shipped out of town for being a top shelf *, Whitlock hated the Colts and has hated the Colts since then.

Yes, Polian and Dungy and Manning and Jim Irsay turned Indy into a football town. Is it over? Who knows? Maybe it is over. Maybe it's not. Time will tell. But I kind of doubt it. If 2006 didn't happen I might be inclined to agree that it might be over and we will return to being a basketball town again. I believe that the magic of 2006 created an entire generation of hardcore Colts fans, particularly locally, that will continue to support the Colts for many years to come.

He is right that Indiana is a basketball state, but I disagree that there is not room for football as well.

If the Pacers return to a top tier team, IU continues its resurgence, and Purdue stays at a top level I do think that you will see basketball really reclaim its domiance in this state.

When it comes to the Colts and Indiana I do not listen to Whitlock. Like another poster said he has an axe to grind becuase of a personal relationship he has with Jeff George. The Colts could win the next five Super Bowls and he would find something to bash us with.

Obviously we as fans are bias, but he very well maybe be telling the truth... i do not believe it for one second but last year if someone was to tell me the colts was to go 2-14 i would laugh in their face... with that said i still say that is never gonna happen.

Bill Polian made Indiana a football state. We're also a basketball state. Indiana is an awesome sports' state, period. Whitlock hates the Colts, hate white people, and generally hates Indiana.

polian made us a PRO football state.. i dont know about you but schoolboy football was way bigger than basketball. the basketball thing was huge in the 50's . we had big crowds for football, and it was king from the 80's on.

sometimes i wonder about all the yelling about class basketball. having been to a school with state championships in class football, it was pretty obvious that the class system helped the fanbases, not hurt them.

Bill Polian made Indiana a football state. We're also a basketball state. Indiana is an awesome sports' state, period. Whitlock hates the Colts, hate white people, and generally hates Indiana.

polian made us a PRO football state.. i dont know about you but schoolboy football was way bigger than basketball. the basketball thing was huge in the 50's . we had big crowds for football, and it was king from the 80's on.

sometimes i wonder about all the yelling about class basketball. having been to a school with state championships in class football, it was pretty obvious that the class system helped the fanbases, not hurt them.

Interesting perspective. I may agree with the PRO distinction. High school football was definitely on the rise before Uncle Bill. Maybe he helped get it to where it is now? I also see more fervor the small college game in Indiana (latest example being Marian University, Franklin College...). Mixed emotions on class basketball. Doubt there could ever be another Milan Injuns' story but it'd be fun. I could see perhaps two classes of basketball (1-3 being 1 and 4-5 being 2).

Witless is a typical hater. Has been gone for a long time, and thinks he has a special perspective on the sports landscape here in this "little" town, because of his birth certificate.

Indianapolis is a big time market now, and he can't handle it. Indianapolis has one of the hottest high school football recruiting markets, 2 surging FCS programs in the area, an NAIA powerhouse in town, covers four relevant D1 football programs that are all on the rise, the NCAA headquarters (which moved here from KC, hmmm...), The B10 Championship game, the Colts and the Super Bowl. Not to mention the return to the best basketball in the country.

He can go soak himself.

Interesting perspective. I may agree with the PRO distinction. High school football was definitely on the rise before Uncle Bill. Maybe he helped get it to where it is now? I also see more fervor the small college game in Indiana (latest example being Marian University, Franklin College...). Mixed emotions on class basketball. Doubt there could ever be another Milan Injuns' story but it'd be fun. I could see perhaps two classes of basketball (1-3 being 1 and 4-5 being 2).

i know in hamilton county football was king from about 1976 on. in 1980, carmel and sheridan both won state championships. in fact football got so important that the hoodlums were even threatening to go do bodily harm to the other schools players....everyone even the hoods on smokers corner were showing school spirit.

what got it going bigtime was the colts coming in town-- because the championship game was then played in the hoosier dome. the experience of playing on a pro field, was MAGIC. every kid dreamed of playing in the pros, and it was that much more real to play in the dome. having 3, 4 or 5 classes just meant 3, 4 or 5 times more kids got to live that dream. all the suburb schools went to big fancy stadiums......

i have no opinion on class basketball. with teams like park tudor has this season, i could see how size does not seem to matter, but then you get to high school recruiting issues.

I actually enjoy him, I don't agree with him, but he's a got a knack for writing. Clearly he likes to tick people off, because frankly media types who coddle aren't liked either, and they generally don't last as long.

yeah, a pundit verses a reporter. him and kravitz make their bones by the amount of dust they raise, not by reporting on the teams.

For some reason this guy has something against the Colts. I don't like in Indy, but I know the area has had alot of high school football champions and even in Fort Wayne, high school football is a relatively big deal, definitely a bigger deal than high school basketball. Also are we forgetting we do have two successful college football programs in Purdue(I hate saying that) and the most popular college football program of all time, Notre Dame. Football has been a big deal in Indiana for most of the last century, there just wasn't a pro franchise here. The pro fans had to root for teams outside of Indiana and it's the reason Indiana still has alot of Bears, Packers, and Steelers fans. Now Indiana has something to root for with the Colts.

This state still loves basketball and always will. As an IU fan I am very happy to see the team succesful again. It's also cool to see Butler getting to the championship, establishing themselves, and in general with Purdue getting better, Notre Dame becoming more focused on their basketball program it's nice to see college basketball is healthy in Indiana. Heck even the Pacers are looking better and have a good young team. I think the Pacers have the biggest to bounce back from. The year after the Ron Artest incident, the team's arrests were really turning off fans, including myself.

I just don't see why anyone would say you can have one or the other when you can have both. Especially when one of your teams isn't doing so well, it's alot nicer to have the other sport to fall back on.