Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson Named Colts Gm (Merge)

workinman

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and so was Tony Dungy before he rode Peyton Manning to a Superbowl.

Yeah because Peyton Manning won so many playoff games and Super Bowls before Dungy got here...

Look I am not going to sit here and try to argue that Peyton Manning was not a key part of us going to and winning a Super Bowl. That would be foolish. At the sametime Peyton did not carry us to a Super Bowl title either. It was a TEAM effort that won the Super Bowl including a key assist to a defense that Dungy coached and improved when he came in.

Just worth mentioning Peyton's playoff record without Tony Dungy is 2-4 and those two wins came in the same post-season and had two years where he didn't even make the playoffs (not counting this season). I love Peyton Manning as much as the next person and I think he's best player in the NFL but I don't think he just won us a Super Bowl all by himself. In fact it was the post-season where he had the most help he won a Super Bowl. Again my point is not to discredit Peyton Manning but I think it's important to remind people Peyton Manning didn't just win a Super Bowl by himself he had help and Tony Dungy was a big part of that and Dungy did not just "ride" Peyton Manning to a Super Bowl. He was up there with Peyton Manning driving the bus.

Yeah because Peyton Manning won so many playoff games and Super Bowls before Dungy got here...

Look I am not going to sit here and try to argue that Peyton Manning was not a key part of us going to and winning a Super Bowl. That would be foolish. At the sametime Peyton did not carry us to a Super Bowl title either. It was a TEAM effort that won the Super Bowl including a key assist to a defense that Dungy coached and improved when he came in.

Just worth mentioning Peyton's playoff record without Tony Dungy is 2-4 and those two wins came in the same post-season and had two years where he didn't even make the playoffs (not counting this season). I love Peyton Manning as much as the next person and I think he's best player in the NFL but I don't think he just won us a Super Bowl all by himself. In fact it was the post-season where he had the most help he won a Super Bowl. Again my point is not to discredit Peyton Manning but I think it's important to remind people Peyton Manning didn't just win a Super Bowl by himself he had help and Tony Dungy was a big part of that and Dungy did not just "ride" Peyton Manning to a Super Bowl. He was up there with Peyton Manning driving the bus.

Okay okay. To say he rode Peyton was a little over the top. It was a team effort. It is always a team effort. But it's not like Tony was setting the world on fire in Tampa.

I should have simply stated that Fisher's winning percentage and Dungy's Pre-Manning are comparable. But Dungy came in with a good work ethic and got the team on track. I believe Fisher would do the same. Unfortunately it looks like he is going to do that in Miami and not here.

Okay okay. To say he rode Peyton was a little over the top. It was a team effort. It is always a team effort. But it's not like Tony was setting the world on fire in Tampa.

I should have simply stated that Fisher's winning percentage and Dungy's Pre-Manning are comparable. But Dungy came in with a good work ethic and got the team on track. I believe Fisher would do the same. Unfortunately it looks like he is going to do that in Miami and not here.

He took maybe the worst run franchise in the history of pro-sports at the time and turned them into a yearly playoff team. Some would say that was an extremely good job on his behalf.

Just listened to a few minutes of Philly talk radio while running errands. Griggsons departure is one of the host's topics for the night, but I didn't hear any fans call in with a comment. The host said that the only reason he has even heard of the guy is because he remembers seeing his name in the media guide last year (while acknowledging that the team doesn't talk about front office staff much). But both times that I heard him introduce the topic (trying to encourage people to call in) he said things to the effect of "The Colts today introduced Ryan GRIGGson as their new GM. WHY you would want this guy with the Eagles drafting record the past two years is beyond me (he then listed several examples of higher draft picks that he considered to be mistakes because they are already off the team or never see the field). He concluded with "you are going to go from Bill Polian to Ryan Griggson, good luck with that".

Of course the general tone on that station is usually bitter, negative, and based on the assumption that anything associated with Philly must be worse than anything associated with anything else. And he also insisted repeatedly that Manning is leaving (as if it was a foregone conclusion) because "that's what Irsay wants". He clearly has no idea what is going on in Indy, but still the utter lack of concern for the departure of the GMs "right hand man" as he put it is a little bit unnerving.

If anyone cares to listen in, be prepared for a lot of Tim Tebow talk this evening for some reason.

http://www.975thefan...om/listen-live/

Just listened to a few minutes of Philly talk radio while running errands. Griggsons departure is one of the host's topics for the night, but I didn't hear any fans call in with a comment. The host said that the only reason he has even heard of the guy is because he remembers seeing his name in the media guide last year (while acknowledging that the team doesn't talk about front office staff much). But both times that I heard him introduce the topic (trying to encourage people to call in) he said things to the effect of "The Colts today introduced Ryan GRIGGson as their new GM. WHY you would want this guy with the Eagles drafting record the past two years is beyond me (he then listed several examples of higher draft picks that he considered to be mistakes because they are already off the team or never see the field). He concluded with "you are going to go from Bill Polian to Ryan Griggson, good luck with that".

Of course the general tone on that station is usually bitter, negative, and based on the assumption that anything associated with Philly must be worse than anything associated with anything else. And he also insisted repeatedly that Manning is leaving (as if it was a foregone conclusion) because "that's what Irsay wants". He clearly has no idea what is going on in Indy, but still the utter lack of concern for the departure of the GMs "right hand man" as he put it is a little bit unnerving.

If anyone cares to listen in, be prepared for a lot of Tim Tebow talk this evening for some reason.

http://www.975thefan...om/listen-live/

Sounds a little bit like Bob Kravitz when he gets on a kick. :hide: Same attitude different city. :lol:

According to LaCanforra he stays ESPN commentator. Gruden out.

Remains:

• Jeff Fisher
  • Andy Reid and Marty Mornhingweg ( I think they would come hand in hand, Reid has a great confidence in Mornhingweg)

Don't know too much about Grigson so I will not comment on way or another. Feeling kind of milk toast about it. But will wait and see what he has to offer.

However, if Andy Reid is the alternative...please just keep Jim Caldwell. Don't bring Andy anywhere near the Colts! Some fans complain about coming up short in the playoffs now? Just wait till you get a load of Andy Reid. Eagles are the biggest perennial underachievers in the league.

I'd be good with Fisher (long shot now) or Billick.

The host sounds like a real blow hard. "Because that's what Irsay wants" I wish real Colts fan called him and tell him he doesn't know anything about the franchise other than Peyton Manning.

Most of their hosts are unpleasant, some flat out annoying. I much prefer NY sports radio - and not just for the obvious reason that I'm a fan of some NY teams. There's just a consistent tone that perhaps reflects the fan bases attitude, but is unpleasant to listen to for any length of time.

It's like there is a giant chip on everyones shoulder. There is an expectation of missery, and when they actually have something to be proud of they handle it like a fragile 14 year old. Stick it in everyones face, while sounding like they aren't sure that it's real in the first place.

I like the way he coaches. As stated, he is a defensive minded coach, which I think would help make the changes we have needed on that side of the ball. He motivate players, takes chances during ball games and isn't afraid to mess up and then try something else. I like his demeanor and how he represents an org. He can be classey, yet yell at a guy to make him understand his mistake.

Dungy had never won a SB either. Until he came here. So not having a championship doesn't mean anything.

Dungy was different in a few aspects. One being Dungy was a better coordinator then HC (which ended up being the perfect mariage with the Peyton lead offense), the second being the comparison between their tenures. Jeff Fisher was the longest tenured coach in the league for a while, and what did he have to show for it? If I'm not mistaken, 1 SB apperance.

Now I don't want to be mistaken. I also like Jeff Fisher, and his style of teams, I'm just not going to love someone just beacuse they have a big name. I still think Brian Billick the best FA head coach out there. Not just for us, but for any team, and exluding him as a coordinator.

He took maybe the worst run franchise in the history of pro-sports at the time and turned them into a yearly playoff team. Some would say that was an extremely good job on his behalf.

Wow! He took them to the Playoffs. Amazing.

All sarcasm aside. I think you are missing my point. I am not here to dump on Dungy. I think he was a good coach. Not great, but good. I am trying to get people to see that his winnig percentage without Manning running his offense wasn't better than Jeff Fisher's is. Yet people consider him a good coach. Why then, is bringing Jeff Fisher, who had success when he had talent, any worse of a prospect than bringing in Dungy was?

All sarcasm aside. I think you are missing my point. I am not here to dump on Dungy. I think he was a good coach. Not great, but good. I am trying to get people to see that his winnig percentage without Manning running his offense wasn't better than Jeff Fisher's is. Yet people consider him a good coach. Why then, is bringing Jeff Fisher, who had success when he had talent, any worse of a prospect than bringing in Dungy was?

I think he meant tampa bay. they were a completely pathetic laughing stock prior to dungy

Look at the Bucs before he got there. It was amazing... It's not like he went into a dream job with the Bucs he rebuilt that team from the ground up and did something a lot of people didn't think was possiable built a succesful team with the Bucs.

They were worse than the Colts before Peyton Manning got here and that's saying something.

Dungy was a Hall of fame coach and I think it's sad some people try to just shug off his success to well he just had Peyton Manning. Now in fairness you have backed away from that point. LIke I said look at Manning's track record without Dungy. It's not nearly as impressive it's just 47-31 and 2-4 in the playoffs (and that's not including this year because this was not a 2-14 team with a healthy Peyton Manning.). Now with Dungy Manning was 85-27 and 7-6 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl win.

Is Tony Dungy the greatest head coach in the history of the NFL? Nope. Is he in the running for second best coach of his era. Yes.

As for Fisher, I'd agree with you in fact I was all for brigning Fisher in. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

Dungy was a Hall of fame coach and I think it's sad some people try to just shug off his success to well he just had Peyton Manning.

How is Dungy a HOF coach? Manning Moore Mudd are the reason the Colts had been so good! From my view Dungy was just lucky to be in the position!

Look at the Bucs before he got there. It was amazing... It's not like he went into a dream job with the Bucs he rebuilt that team from the ground up and did something a lot of people didn't think was possiable built a succesful team with the Bucs.

They were worse than the Colts before Peyton Manning got here and that's saying something.

Dungy was a Hall of fame coach and I think it's sad some people try to just shug off his success to well he just had Peyton Manning. Now in fairness you have backed away from that point. LIke I said look at Manning's track record without Dungy. It's not nearly as impressive it's just 47-31 and 2-4 in the playoffs (and that's not including this year because this was not a 2-14 team with a healthy Peyton Manning.). Now with Dungy Manning was 85-27 and 7-6 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl win.

Is Tony Dungy the greatest head coach in the history of the NFL? Nope. Is he in the running for second best coach of his era. Yes.

As for Fisher, I'd agree with you in fact I was all for brigning Fisher in. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

If you knew me, you would know that I have the utmost respect for Dungy. I really like Dungy and respect his knowledge of the game. Of course, that's just the nature of an online forum.

My only beef with Dungy is that he did not develop a strong defense. He is supposed to be a defensive minded coach and yet it seemed like he relied on Peyton's abilities on offense. Thank goodness he got the defense going during the Superbowl run. For a short while, we all got to see what a complete Colts team could look like.

Dungy was different in a few aspects. One being Dungy was a better coordinator then HC (which ended up being the perfect mariage with the Peyton lead offense), the second being the comparison between their tenures. Jeff Fisher was the longest tenured coach in the league for a while, and what did he have to show for it? If I'm not mistaken, 1 SB apperance.

Now I don't want to be mistaken. I also like Jeff Fisher, and his style of teams, I'm just not going to love someone just beacuse they have a big name. I still think Brian Billick the best FA head coach out there. Not just for us, but for any team, and exluding him as a coordinator.

I'll disagree, although I think Billick is top notch. I'd like to see Marty Schottenheimer get one last shot. Great coach and the young GM, older HC relationship would be fun to watch.

I'll disagree, although I think Billick is top notch. I'd like to see Marty Schottenheimer get one last shot. Great coach and the young GM, older HC relationship would be fun to watch.

Oh I like Marty too, but the reason Irsay hired Ryan Grig was because hes a future type of guy. Hes not a guy who's just going to make an instant impact, he was brought in because hes young with potiental to get better and be here for a long time. Marty on the other hand is old, and would only be here for 5 years tops.

Is Brian Billick old? Some what, but hes not 70 an could give us some quality time in and put together a very talented staff.

How is Dungy a HOF coach? Manning Moore Mudd are the reason the Colts had been so good! From my view Dungy was just lucky to be in the position!

Look at his track record and stack up his numbers vs. other Hall of Fame caoches and you'll how well they stack up. Also I just laid out Manning's numbers without Dungy vs. his numbers with Dungy. People might not like it but he was apart of the success. Also being the first african american head coach to win a Super Bowl wont hurt his cause either.

If you knew me, you would know that I have the utmost respect for Dungy. I really like Dungy and respect his knowledge of the game. Of course, that's just the nature of an online forum.

My only beef with Dungy is that he did not develop a strong defense. He is supposed to be a defensive minded coach and yet it seemed like he relied on Peyton's abilities on offense. Thank goodness he got the defense going during the Superbowl run. For a short while, we all got to see what a complete Colts team could look like.

Again if you look at our defense before he got here and where he took he did a good job. Also he was asked to build a good defense when we were still spending most of our money on offense. Frankly he did agood job and his something like 75% winning % here backs that up.

I am not trying to say you don't respect Dungy that's why I made the point before to say you backed off saying Dungy road Manning's coat tails.

After watching the press conference, and the interview both, posted on the Colts website, I think I'm ready to give my first impression of the new general manager.

When I look at coachs... gm's, what have you, the first thing I try and gage their intelligence. Intelligence doesn't just mean you can remeber facts, but it lets you find out why something works, how it works the best, and how to get things to that point (No matter what they are setting out to do).

-My impression of Ryan is, he is definitly a smart guy, and the biggest thing I've noticed is his step by step kind of nature. Which is a very telling factor in seeing if hes intelligent or not.

My second impression is hes blue collar. Obviously hes a hoosier, which I love, but hes not a slick talker and recognizes that its a grind type of thing.

So to sum up my thoughts; Ryan Grigson is smart, home grown, by the book, organized, doesn't cut corners, and not necissarly charismatic lol.

I can not believe we brought in someone so unproven and with so little experience. TWO YEARS as personnel director? Has he evaluated and hired HCs? OCs? DCs? Has he had to work with the complexities of a Salary Cap? Make decisions that will win now and in the future? Keep the chemistry right in the locker room and give the fans what they want while making tough decisions to keep the team competitive over future years? I think Irsay wanted someone that will allow him to be more apart of the decisions. Not sure why he is changing now except that Polian simply made him stay out of the workings before. :wall:

I can not believe we brought in someone so unproven and with so little experience. TWO YEARS as personnel director? Has he evaluated and hired HCs? OCs? DCs? Has he had to work with the complexities of a Salary Cap? Make decisions that will win now and in the future? Keep the chemistry right in the locker room and give the fans what they want while making tough decisions to keep the team competitive over future years? I think Irsay wanted someone that will allow him to be more apart of the decisions. Not sure why he is changing now except that Polian simply made him stay out of the workings before. :wall:

sometimes you have to do things out of the box. Irsay brought him in and least we can do is give this guy a chance. To be honst ive never heard of this guy, he has never been a GM which is a little risky so i think he'll either be a really good one or a really bad one. Like i said you have to sometimes take risks and do things out of the box to be great

Well, he does appear to the the anti-Polian from a social standpoint (both in how he handles a room, and ego).

He is inexperienced doing THIS JOB, but Polian wasn't born a GM. Someone gave him a chance.

He doesn't need to make sure there's good chemistry in the locker room, except to make sure the HC maintains it.

The CAP? Would be good if he knew it, but he'll learn, and I'm sure there's either one on staff, or one will be brought in/consulted.

He gets the benefit of my doubt, but I do think he could do without the chaw during a press conference.

Well, he does appear to the the anti-Polian from a social standpoint (both in how he handles a room, and ego).

He is inexperienced doing THIS JOB, but Polian wasn't born a GM. Someone gave him a chance.

He doesn't need to make sure there's good chemistry in the locker room, except to make sure the HC maintains it.

The CAP? Would be good if he knew it, but he'll learn, and I'm sure there's either one on staff, or one will be brought in/consulted.

He gets the benefit of my doubt, but I do think he could do without the chaw during a press conference.

Very true. Every GM in the league was a first timer at one point. And yes, he doesn't give off that smug arrogance of Polian, aka I'm the smartest guy in the room vibe.

I agree with yiou Brett.. he is a hoosier as am I and he has been brought up in the system old school.. from playing in early years to college , pro and coaching.. kinda like the companies used to be built .. GROUND UP.. I like that he seems to take pride in analysing tapes and scouting.. I am likming that he wants to go into his room/ office and study the tapes of all of all people .. tells me he will know more of this team than some of our coaches possibly..

I think Isray hit a HOMERUN!!

I look forward to the next steps

I didn't get to see the interview, but based on your idea of him, I think that is a strong dose of what we need. Did he seem humble? By that I mean, would he let his pride get in the way of what is best for this franchise?

No, and he actually made a point about it in the interview. Watch the interview though. I can't remeber exactly how he put it.

I on the other hand can believe we brought in someone like Ryan Grugsin. We all knew when this started that Irsay was looking for the future. So, he went young and potiental instead of old and proven aka, opposite of Bill Polian.

Experiance wise, hes got more then you think. He was one of the Rams top scouts and was with the Eagles all together like 6 seasons. Also, if you watch the press conference, you'll notice his Superbowl Ring he got when he was with the Rams.