Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson Named Colts Gm (Merge)

workinman

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it! As bad of a year as Philly had, you still have to be impressed with the talent and the drafts they've had.

I am hoping Marty is NOT an option. I live in Windsor and have watched Lions football and Marty was the worst coach in a long line of bad coaches.

Fire Caldwell. Hire ??????????/!

Right, he was the director of player personnel and a college scout .... not much of a track record to justify a jump to GM of a team that won 12 games a year for half a decade.

What track record should a first time gm have?

Would not be the Colts message board without a poster crappy on a guy who has not even been offically announced yet. haha. The Eagles did not have a talent problem. You cannot look at someone like Shady McCoy, D Jax, or Maclin and not see the talent. They just had a chemistry problem and a DC problem. The guy was an offensive lineman so lets hope he can get our OL straight. Now if he brings Mornhinweg over as HC I will lose all faith that quickly.

I agree, they had back to back drafts where they took desean jackson, jeremy maclin and mccoy.

thats 3 freaking great players, mccoy is IMO the best back in the league right now. yes even ahead of peterson. but thats subjective i think, i just like mccoy style.

and yea, chemistry and lack of a gameplan from coaches (DC) for all the offseason acqusitiosn doomed that team from day one.

Maybe he is going to bring a former Eagles defensive coach (Spagnuolo) with him!

That would be great! Hopefully whoever we get at DC will make the best use out of Hughes since I still dont think he is a complete bust, just hasnt been used in his proper position(Pass rushing OLB.) Even if we lose etiher Freeney or Mathis, I think our pass rush will still be fine if we use Hughes and Wheeler as pass rushers from the LB spot along with Nevis and Mathis and or Freeney on the DL.

Now, if he could talk Holmgren into coaching again, I would be for that.

The Eagles have a ton of talent....plenty enough talent to win a Super Bowl. In fact, everybody and their dog said that very same thing at the beginning of the season. I can see the Oline being a problem, for sure, but their skill people are incredible.

it was, but they fixed (and from the talk ive heard, they all credit it to Mudd) it by midseason.

Jason peters - Evan Mathis - Kalce - Watkins - Herremans

ended up being pretty good, it wasnt a matter of talent it was a matter of continuity and cohesion. I think this offseason all they MIGHT (and is not even certain cause they liked Evan mathis) look for is a LG. I do think they might release jamal jackson, so if saturday is gone iw oudlnt mind

I dont know much about this guy other than what he did with the Eagles, based on his experience and his age, I cant see him being anything other than a "yes man" ... yes Mr Irsay, yes Jim, yes yes yes.

I like the hire. Irsay is nothing like his dad, or the late Raiders owner. We already had an yes man that was Old Bill and his son it was their way or no way. They got fired thankfully. I trust Irsay hiring, he has been around the NFL for decades and he was also a GM himself years back.

If it's as simple as him being the next HC of the rams of 'fins...then why isn't it a done deal already? just sayin...

I have customers tell me they want my company to do the job and want to sign a contract and a day later they went with someone else....nothing is ever a done deal until it's signed.

Because he has not decided yet?

I would guess this means Irsay wants to do more in free agency than in seasons past.
yes i agree, and i think it has to do with giving manning a one last shot, so taking luck doesnt seem like not comitted to winning now....cap wise? dont know if it can happen

What happens to Tom Telesco? I hope we can keep him, because we've been able to find good players in the drafts. We've made some questionable decisions with a couple of first rounders, but we've still added really good players deep in the draft. Credit for that has to at least partially go to Telesco as the director. I think our entire scouting department is really good, as a matter of fact. I think, even though Polian said he was fired for not having a backup plan to Peyton Manning, that hitting his first and second rounders in the last five years would have saved him. No one hits every first rounder, and that will include Grigson. But the way we've been able to hit on third and fourth rounders consistently every year has to be credited to the underlings.

What happens to Tom Telesco? I hope we can keep him, because we've been able to find good players in the drafts. We've made some questionable decisions with a couple of first rounders, but we've still added really good players deep in the draft. Credit for that has to at least partially go to Telesco as the director. I think our entire scouting department is really good, as a matter of fact. I think, even though Polian said he was fired for not having a backup plan to Peyton Manning, that hitting his first and second rounders in the last five years would have saved him. No one hits every first rounder, and that will include Grigson. But the way we've been able to hit on third and fourth rounders consistently every year has to be credited to the underlings.

I agree, id hope we keep Tom telesco.

It good finally know we have a GM. I know nothing about this guy so will see how it goes.

Commenting on the Fisher I don't think he will come to Indy personally I think he goes to St Louis he will have more control there than here in Indy.

This article says the Rams wanted to pair Fisher with a young GM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825a8040/article/rams-hope-to-hire-fisher-as-coach-and-add-young-gm

Grigson is only 39 and is entering his first job as a GM. Might be good pairing him with a veteran coach like Fisher who could have some control.

He's been interviewed by an other team (I don't no whichteam).

he did what?

"The most notable moment in Mornhinweg's history as a head coach came during a 2002 game against the Chicago Bears. The game went into overtime, and the Lions won the toss. However, Mornhinweg felt that having the wind in his favor was more important than getting the ball, despite having as his kicker Jason Hanson, who hit a then-NCAA record 62-yard field goal in his college days at Washington State University. He elected to kick rather than receive. As it turned out, the Lions never got the ball; on the Bears opening drive, Chicago scored a field goal to win the game. The decision prompted fed-up Lions fans to refer to the coach as "Marty ^fool^-weg". Mornhinweg's decision was that season's runner-up for the Terry Award to Dwayne Rudd's premature helmet toss celebration that cost his Cleveland Browns a victory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Mornhinweg

He's been interviewed by an other team (I don't no whichteam).

Yeah, I know. I would think he'd get a little more credit from being out from under Polian's shadow, even if just for a year. Doesn't seem like anyone offered him the job just yet, or maybe he was waiting for Irsay to make his decision. We'll see. But all things being equal, I would hope we could keep him.

Is he one of the youngest GMs in the NFL or what? Not even 40 and heading up an NFL team. The guy really doesnt have much of a track record - I wonder if Irsay is wanting to start calling more of the shots like Davis in Oakland did or JJ in Dallas does.

I sure hope he is not looking for a Vick like player!

Much of a track record? The guy has earned his stripes and has actually worked his way up the ladder unlike Chris Polian. He won't be looking at a Vick type player. From what I see, Vick was more of a Owner choice because of how huge it was. I doubt Grigson was the sole reason Vick ended up there.

OT- I like the hire. Now the first big descision is gonna be on Caldwell. We'll find out at 4!

Let's remember one thing - us as fans have no idea if he'll do a good job or not. Jim Irsay sat down with him in an interview and decided from that, he was more appealing than other people. With that in mind, let's back the decision and hope it'll come good :)

I heard an interview with Andrew Brandt on the radio who used to work for the Packers. He now works for ESPN among other jobs. He said that Grigson is very much a draft and build guy and that we shouldn't get our hopes up too much that we are going to dive into free agency like the Eagles did this past season. He said that came more from Reid and the Owner than the front office people and that Grigson really had nothing to do with it. He said Grigson's job has been to put together the Eagles draft boards for years and got his personal job because of how good he was at finding people in the middle to the end of the draft. He went on to say that he wouldn't speculate on Jim Caldwell's job status under Grigson.

I'll say this a lot of times when you fire someone to make a change which with Jim Irsay saying "it's time" when he fired the Polians seems to at least be part of the reason you tend to over correct in your next move. So we have gone from a very experienced GM who liked to have a lot of control to a younger guy who probably wont have as much control. I think Jim Irsay is going to have more say in what is done than in recent years. You have to remebered when he hired Tobin and the Polian he was coming off being the GM himself and I really think trying to back away because he felt like he had too much say. Now I think he wants to feel like he has more. As long as he lets the GM do his job I don't think that's a bad thing. In fact I kinda look at how the Falcons owner runs things and it sorta reminds me of that. He's really into what is going on and has his say but he still lets the GM make 99% of the calls and makes the calls on big things probably with heavy input from the GM. I think that's what you are going to see from Irsay. When it's something like the head coach or Peyton Manning's contract, who to take with the top pick in the draft it will be his call because that effects the long term future of the franchise. I am sure he's going to listen to what Grigson has to say about it and that it will play a big role in what he does do. I don't think you are going to see Irsay making calls on like should we keep Gary Brackett or not for example.

Also a thought on Jim Caldwell's status. It could be Grigson comes in and isn't crazy about anyone on the market right now. Maybe he takes a run at Jeff Fisher but Fisher tells him no. If the next best name on your list is Marty Mornhinweg maybe they keep Caldwell because they don't like the others out there more and lay out for a year and see if after a year a guy like Jon Gruden wants to go back into coaching or a guy like Andy Reid is released by the Eagles or who knows what esle and maybe the Colts job is a little more atractive to bigger named coaches if the future of the franchse rather it be Manning, Luck or PeyLuck is no longer a question. With that said it wouldn't shock me at all that if at 4:00 today they also annouce Jim Caldwell has been released.

Because he is a good, defensive coach and knows the AFC South. He also is a pretty big Peyton Manning fan as well :)

To me, he was good enough to not get fired, but not good enough to win a championship. His Titan team was good agaisn't us, and yeah he likes Peyton.

Idk, it just doesn't seem like a sure fire win if we were to hire him.

The one thing I will say is hes had some good defensive lines, and the defense was physical in Tennessee.