Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson Named Colts Gm (Merge)

workinman

Since the Eagles were rumored to be interested in Steve Spags due to the Andy Reid - Spags connection, with Andy Reid normally being loyal to his coaches (he made ex-OC Juan Castillo the new DC and chances are, he might not cut him loose citing the last few games when their D was gelling), I hope Grigson brings in Steve Spagnuolos as DC more than anything else.

Whether it is Fisher, Brian Billick or Caldwell, if we are not going to run the same 4-3 D, bring in someone with a fresher outlook for D, where most of our issues were. The issues with O will be resolved with the right planning for the QB position.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah give the dude a shot...Irsay wants to WIN...he wouldn't hire ANYONE he wasn't confident in to get the right job done. I sure hope Caldwell is out and Fisher comes in...I'm not saying it's PROBABLE...but it is ALWAYS possible unless Fisher announces a signing somewhere else...and with that in mine I hope that a Colts miracle happens :)

Can we say HELLO to a different approach in Free Agency though ??? :)

Good to know that Irsay wants to win. I would hope we wants to win. lol. Anyways, The Eagles have a good organization. Lets see how it works out. But, as of lately, they really havent looked to great.

Fisher not an option for us now.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-dolphins-land-jeff-fisher/

I don't want Marty M. as the head coach. I think with a GM in place who has no past experience as a GM, he'll want to bring in a strong, experienced head coach. Going to be more of a "team" approach to drafting and free agents. I do agree we'll be more aggressive in the free agent market in the future.

Well i highly doubt the eagles will let desean walk thats the problem

He'll probably be tagged. And he's looking for #1 receiver money, $10 million/year. No thanks. He's very talented, but hasn't produced enough to deserve #1 money (career averages are like 55 catches, 1,000 yards, 6 touchdowns), and he's a bit of a knucklehead.

Can someone tell me why everyone wants Jeff Fisher besides the fact that hes the biggest name out there?

You mean that's not enough?

Let me add two things, and maybe this will help you understand:

1) He wore a Peyton Manning jersey at a fundraiser;

2) He called several onside kicks against us in 2004, which shows he has guts and thinks outside the box (nevermind the fact that we still won 45-24).

Is that enough now?

/sarcasm

Don't know is Mornhinweg is the answer, but you can't place all the blame on him for Detroit's losing seasons. Detroit has had several coaches who had losing season's and the only common denominator during that time was an incompetent GM by the name of Matt Millen.

NIce name.

He'll probably be tagged. And he's looking for #1 receiver money, $10 million/year. No thanks. He's very talented, but hasn't produced enough to deserve #1 money (career averages are like 55 catches, 1,000 yards, 6 touchdowns), and he's a bit of a knucklehead.

Yea tbh im a bit tired of the small receiver.. its a bout time the colts have that 6'2 to 6'3 guy... garcon isnt overly tall but he is strong and big which is one of the main reasons why he's so hard to bring down.... i think either way things go with caldwell and peyton, colts fans are destined to have an exciting season.

Can someone tell me why everyone wants Jeff Fisher besides the fact that hes the biggest name out there?

I like the way he coaches. As stated, he is a defensive minded coach, which I think would help make the changes we have needed on that side of the ball. He motivate players, takes chances during ball games and isn't afraid to mess up and then try something else. I like his demeanor and how he represents an org. He can be classey, yet yell at a guy to make him understand his mistake.

Dungy had never won a SB either. Until he came here. So not having a championship doesn't mean anything.

He was in charge of college scouting until 2009 which means he had a big part in those drafts until 2009, no?

Word is he set the draft boards. But the final decisions weren't his. It's kind of hard to grade him on the drafts, especially mid to late rounders, because they could have had four or five options that he set up, but went with the wrong guy. Can't blame him for that. It's impossible to tell unless you're in the war room with them.

Instead we let McKenzie go to * Oakland.

If this guy brings in anyone besides Andy Reid from Philly things are gonna go south.

I like the idea someone proposed that he may keep Caldwell, since he is so popular amongst the players until an Andy Reid or Chucky is available.

No to Jeff Fisher, you guys gotta stop that non-sense.

Even if Caldwell is let go, the press conference will not announce it. The 4pm conference will only announce the hiring of the GM. If Caldwell is let go, it will be announced in a separate PC.

Here's the Philly draft. He seems good in the 1st two rounds but doesn't seem to have Polian's ability to find the late round gems. Although he does seem better at FA than Polian.

Brandt also he had nothing to do with the free agents that have been brought in and went as far as to say he was a draft and build guy and that free agency wasn't his call that was more on Reid and the owner. Again that's just coming from Andrew Brandt who works for ESPN and is just one guy. Time will tell what he does here but Brandt at least seemed to think that Grigson might not be as big of a free agent guy as some are hoping for. Unless you are talking undrafted free agents which is a whole another animal.

Yep he did which is what Brandt said got him the personal job was because of how good he did at finding guys in the mid to late rounds of those drafts.

One of his most recent hits is Riley Cooper, receiver. Fifth rounder. Numbers aren't there yet, but he's a really good receiver, especially for the fifth round.

Instead we let McKenzie go to * Oakland.

If this guy brings in anyone besides Andy Reid from Philly things are gonna go south.

I like the idea someone proposed that he may keep Caldwell, since he is so popular amongst the players until an Andy Reid or Chucky is available.

No to Jeff Fisher, you guys gotta stop that non-sense.

Even if Caldwell is let go, the press conference will not announce it. The 4pm conference will only announce the hiring of the GM. If Caldwell is let go, it will be announced in a separate PC.

I don't thnk we let him go anywhere. Just because the fans speculate that's who we should go get doesn't mean that's what Irsay wanted to do or that McKenzie wanted to come here. He used to play for the Raiders it could very well be he wanted to go "home" and fix that and we never had a real shot at him.

I don't thnk we let him go anywhere. Just because the fans speculate that's who we should go get doesn't mean that's what Irsay wanted to do or that McKenzie wanted to come here. He used to play for the Raiders it could very well be he wanted to go "home" and fix that and we never had a real shot at him.

It's pretty obvious he was a Raider fix from day one.

i didn't know that. that makes sense.

if what you guys are saying is that this guy is just a draft board and he will be watched over by the former GM irsay then I guess it may be an ok decision. If he had anything to do with that chemsitry or FA going on in Philly I want no part. Only thing worse than PHilly is the NYJ locker room.

On the surface I'm not happy with the selection largely because of Griggsons inexperience, and because I can't stand anything about the way that the Eagles have been built (detest Vick and Jackson, not impressed with recent drafts at all, concerned that jump into FA was due to said poor drafting - and the team that resulted was just a dysfunctional mess.) I'm also concerned that we will immediately lose Telasco - who appears to have more experience and a good track record. Polian had a terrific evaluation and drafting system, and Telasco has been raised in it. It would be nice if Griggson could get the benefit of his knowledge rather than dumping the entire thing and going with the "system" used by a 39 year old who has only been a player personel director since 2010.

Some of the comments from Eagles fans on this site aren't too encouraging either:

http://eye-on-footba...5988/34323372/1

That being said, I trust Irsay, love the fact that Griggson is a local boy, and am exited to see how this plays out. It's impossible to know what if any influence he had on Philly things that I don't like, so I'm going to assume that Irsay wouldn't have hired him if he actually preferred sociopaths and inmature egomaniacs, or if didn't have the patience to build through the draft (like all successful teams do). Lets let him roll up his sleeves and see what happens.

On the surface I'm not happy with the selection largely because of Griggsons inexperience, and because I can't stand anything about the way that the Eagles have been built (detest Vick and Jackson, not impressed with recent drafts at all, concerned that jump into FA was due to said poor drafting - and the team that resulted was just a dysfunctional mess.) I'm also concerned that we will immediately lose Telasco - who appears to have more experience and a good track record. Polian had a terrific evaluation and drafting system, and Telasco has been raised in it. It would be nice if Griggson could get the benefit of his knowledge rather than dumping the entire thing and going with the "system" used by a 39 year old who has only been a player personel director since 2010.

Some of the comments from Eagles fans on this site aren't too encouraging either:

http://eye-on-footba...5988/34323372/1

That being said, I trust Irsay, love the fact that Griggson is a local boy, and am exited to see how this plays out. It's impossible to know what if any influence he had on Philly things that I don't like, so I'm going to assume that Irsay wouldn't have hired him if he actually preferred sociopaths and inmature egomaniacs, or if didn't have the patience to build through the draft (like all successful teams do). Lets let him roll up his sleeves and see what happens.

Good post. I'm more optimistic than you are, but I hope we keep Telesco and the other guys on the personnel side also.

i think i will remember that irsay has a pretty good track record on his choices.

welcome the new guy and hope for the best!

Yes hope for the best. For me this is deffinately a downgrade at GM. But, Polian has not been at his best recently, Chris Polian was not the GM of the future. I'm glad Irsay has made a decision to bring in a pro (as opposed to managing the team himself like he used to).

I have to think Grigson blew Irsay away in the interviews because he doesn't have a resume that is all that impressive. I'm not sure how much of the Eagles successes and failures should be atributed to this guy.

Well, evey great GM got his first job somewhere and made the team that hired him look great. Hopefully that will be the case here.

I do have to say the prospect of hiring Mornenwheg (sp?) is scarey however. On the flip side the idea of bringing in Spagnola as the DC is one I have been hoping for for a while now.

Yes hope for the best. For me this is deffinately a downgrade at GM. But, Polian has not been at his best recently, Chris Polian was not the GM of the future. I'm glad Irsay has made a decision to bring in a pro (as opposed to managing the team himself like he used to).

How is it a downgrade?

YOU JUST GOT HIRED!

r-grigson1.jpeg?w=150

Why does everyone still keep saying it's a downgrade from Bill Polian? Did he not basically retire and try to force Chris Polian into the spot? I view it as firing Chris Polian, who probably wouldn't have even been chosen if Mr.Irsay interviewed anyone else.

Upgrade!!

I'm surprised with all the negativity (or maybe I'm not really surprised). From what NFL people are saying, and those media who are in the know are saying, Grigson is an excellent talent evaluator and quickly worked his way up through the ranks for good reasons. I do hope Telesco sticks around...he is an excellent asset to have for a new GM. Irsay said he was going to bring in someone without GM experience, and he did. This hire really shouldn't have blindsided anyone, and regardless of what the Colts' record is the next couple of years, Grigson is our man for a while. It's going to be an interesting ride, but so many called for change, we got it, now buckle up and let's see what happens. I'm anxious yet excited!

I don't know what to think about it but I question why Irsay wanted someone with no GM experience? How is no experience a plus?

Maybe it's the reality of the situation? There are not a lot of guys sitting on their coaches with a successful GM track record (except Bill Polian), and plucking a current GM is nearly impossible and not very 'professional.'

Thanks Maureen for posting the link I liked the interview. Now we need to stand behind the guy and give him our support and he will be okay. Will he make some mistakes who doesn't at times but you learn from them and move on and admit that you made a mistake and don't hide it under the rug and I'm sure that others know who I'm talking about. :neener: Welcome aboard Ryan and good to have you here. :highfive: