Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck vs. Newton

Mr.Debonair

I like Newton a lot but there seems to be something missing with him that is hard to put your finger on. I love the way he is playing this year on an offense that lacks at the WR skillset. He seems to be progressing and understanding when to run vs stand tall in the pocket and deliver. IMO he is the most like Elway with his skills in terms of being big, tough, athletic with his legs, and strong arm. But I just don't know about him mentality. That is where I think the question is for me. He seems a bit fragile which makes him the opposite of Elway in that regard. That being said, he seems more mentally tough this year.

I like Newton a lot but there seems to be something missing with him that is hard to put your finger on. I love the way he is playing this year on an offense that lacks at the WR skillset. He seems to be progressing and understanding when to run vs stand tall in the pocket and deliver. IMO he is the most like Elway with his skills in terms of being big, tough, athletic with his legs, and strong arm. But I just don't know about him mentality. That is where I think the question is for me. He seems a bit fragile which makes him the opposite of Elway in that regard. That being said, he seems more mentally tough this year.

Newton's issue is that he still has sloppy fundamentals. There's still time where he doesn't get his feet set, his throwing motion isn't ideal, and his movement skills in the pocket aren't always ideal.

He's a lot like Luck in the sense that he never really had a top QB guy behind him to really "fix" him. He also hasn't been surrounded by the talent on offense that Luck has. He's only really got Benjamin and Olsen when everyone is healthy.

Newton is playing better ball right now though. But he's not on the same level as Luck.

I have only seen Cam play very little this season so my opinion may be a bit outdated.

Both Luck & Cam are similar in size and speed. They also both have trouble reading defenses and accuracy issues. Cam has a great arm and it is a pleasure to watch him throw. Because Luck has struggled so much this season and leads the league in turnovers since the beginning of last season I'll give the advantage to Cam. Cam also has that charisma leader, a bit cocky type attitude going plus his running is a weapon.

But all Luck needs is some coaching up a bit(reading D's/mechanics) and Luck should be better in the future.

So Cam is Better Now.

Luck will be Better down the road.

I have only seen Cam play very little this season so my opinion may be a bit outdated.

Both Luck & Cam are similar in size and speed. They also both have trouble reading defenses and accuracy issues. Cam has a great arm and it is a pleasure to watch him throw. Because Luck has struggled so much this season and leads the league in turnovers since the beginning of last season I'll give the advantage to Cam. Cam also has that charisma leader, a bit cocky type attitude going plus his running is a weapon.

But all Luck needs is some coaching up a bit(reading D's/mechanics) and Luck should be better in the future.

So Cam is Better Now.

Luck will be Better down the road.

I'd rather have Luck for the next ten years than Cam. More than any other position, QB is mental and in time, he may end up being the G.O.A.T. (I know, it's hard to see that now, especially the way Brady and Rogers are playing). Time will tell

I like Newton a lot but there seems to be something missing with him that is hard to put your finger on. I love the way he is playing this year on an offense that lacks at the WR skillset. He seems to be progressing and understanding when to run vs stand tall in the pocket and deliver. IMO he is the most like Elway with his skills in terms of being big, tough, athletic with his legs, and strong arm. But I just don't know about him mentality. That is where I think the question is for me. He seems a bit fragile which makes him the opposite of Elway in that regard. That being said, he seems more mentally tough this year.

For once, you and I agree. My thoughts exactly

Newton's issue is that he still has sloppy fundamentals. There's still time where he doesn't get his feet set, his throwing motion isn't ideal, and his movement skills in the pocket aren't always ideal.

He's a lot like Luck in the sense that he never really had a top QB guy behind him to really "fix" him. He also hasn't been surrounded by the talent on offense that Luck has. He's only really got Benjamin and Olsen when everyone is healthy.

Newton is playing better ball right now though. But he's not on the same level as Luck.

As a Panther fan I think this is very fair.

Cam had a very flashy first two years and then we completely changed the offense to be more run oriented. Look at the pass attempt disparity between the two. Cam needs to work on his accuracy and other fundamentals, but he'll never be a 65% guy.

Newton is having his best year so far, Luck is having his worst. Not rocket science.

Newton is also throwing 3 picks in games and still winning them

Let's not get carried away here

Newton is on the better team, not the better player

And even really the Panthers aren't better than us, just playing better. Our roster is far better than their's is, but we're a dumpster fire

Give Cam the same weapons Luck has had and see how the debate turns out. Also how would Luck have fared having the limited resources Cam has had?

Yes, cause that'd be the same roster he had at Stanford. Running game, average to below average WR's, star TE, solid defense

That's what Luck came from. So yes, he'd excel if not even better than Newton is doing now

Yes, cause that'd be the same roster he had at Stanford. Running game, average to below average WR's, star TE, solid defense

That's what Luck came from. So yes, he'd excel if not even better than Newton is doing now

Ha!  So you're saying outside of the QB,  Carolina has had the better offense and offensive weapons than us?  I don't buy it.

I've said for years now that Cam is going to be the next great QB. The guy's physical skill set is out of control. Obviously he's a better player right now, but there's still plenty of time in both guys' careers for that to change. But Cam is a big part of his team's winning streak.

Give Cam the same weapons Luck has had and see how the debate turns out.  Also how would Luck have fared having the limited resources Cam has had?

If you recall, Luck played quite a few games with Whalen, Brazill, and Rodgers at the receiver position; T-Rich at RB and still won games, including in the playoffs.

I've said for years now that Cam is going to be the next great QB. The guy's physical skill set is out of control. Obviously he's a better player right now, but there's still plenty of time in both guys' careers for that to change. But Cam is a big part of his team's winning streak.

He isn't better than Andrew, he has had a nice streak of games and Andrew has had a couple of off games. If you compare their career's, Andrew is better. Look at the Playoff success too. Is Dalton better than Andrew just because he has had a nice streak this season?

Obviosuly this year Newtons playing better, so is Kirk Cousins so that isn't saying much lol.  Overall I think Luck has had the better career so far.  Newton has an awesome defense.  I sure wish the Colts had the defense.  Luck also has more post season wins than Cam as well.  Obviosuly I am a Colts fan so I'll take Luck but Newtons still a stud imo.  I am confident Luck can get out of his funk.  Hopefully that starts Monday because no one is picking the Colts not one person.

He isn't better than Andrew, he has had a nice streak of games and Andrew has had a couple of off games. If you compare their career's, Andrew is better. Look at the Playoff success too. Is Dalton better than Andrew just because he has had a nice streak this season?

Newton hasn't been shabby in terms of numbers either. There's nothing wrong with saying Cam is better. I clarified by adding "right now" anyway. Cam has progressed but so far this year Andrew has regressed. It doesn't have to be a competition. Rodgers and Brady are the best at what they do right now and some will argue that Brady is better while others will say that Rodgers is. This is what's fun about football.

Newton hasn't been shabby in terms of numbers either. There's nothing wrong with saying Cam is better. I clarified by adding "right now" anyway. Cam has progressed but so far this year Andrew has regressed. It doesn't have to be a competition. Rodgers and Brady are the best at what they do right now and some will argue that Brady is better while others will say that Rodgers is. This is what's fun about football.

Luck is better but having said that Cam is Good but like you said it is fun to debate, Stats wise and wins wise I win though. The Colts haven't had that great of a team since Luck has been here but we still win over 62% of the time when he starts, Cam is barely over .500 in 5 seasons. Luck is only 1 of 11 QB's in NFL history to throw for 40 TD's or more too.

There are some interesting parallels between the Panthers and Colts. Ron Rivera was pretty much about to be sent out on a rail last year after a sub-par 7-8-1 season, which is eerily similar to what Pagano's status is this year. Newton was also in a similar place last year that Luck's in this season, moments of solid play, but an overall, disappointing, below average season. But due to their poor division, they earned a playoff spot and beat the Cardinals in the wild card round. Their owner stayed the course instead of firing everyone and having to start over, and now, the very next season, they're 6-0.

I'd rather have Luck. It's more about attitude, than the other characteristics. The towel head, superman pose, etc., are examples of his insecurity, and this will, imo, obstruct his progression. Maybe he's grown a bit with the disappointments in the last few year's, but I don't see it. Still a bit emotionally fragile. Luck seems more humble, mentally capable...rather have him as a qb for now. Luck would be deadly if he could force it just a teeny bit less.

Luck is better but having said that Cam is Good but like you said it is fun to debate, Stats wise and wins wise I win though. The Colts haven't had that great of a team since Luck has been here but we still win over 62% of the time when he starts, Cam is barely over .500 in 5 seasons. Luck is only 1 of 11 QB's in NFL history to throw for 40 TD's or more too.

No...the stats are pretty close too. Wins are a team thing too, as we've seen defenses fail to hold leads after a QB leads a scoring drive in the final minutes. Both guys should have spectacular careers though. I'd like either of them on my team lol.

I know he got cut but I was just wondering what that deal was.

Just another case of a disgruntled player not getting what he wanted. Showing up late to meetings, "oversleeping", then when he missed the plane to Miami that was the final straw. He can go be someone else's problem now.