Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Perception of Colts fans

ThaCaliColt

I've never seen a Colts fan club because that's not how we roll.

There's actually a Colts bar in NYC that packs them in. But then again, NYC is huge and has everything. Here is a video of the place when the Colts won the AFC Championship in '09. I was there 2 weeks later for the Super Bowl.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe people want to actually watch the game and not be on their computers. You know, having people over, partying, at the bar, at the game, etc....... you'll have to excuse some people for not wanting to chat online during a game. I personally don't even text much during a game. Usually only after a TD.

To be clear,   I'm NOT in the chat room....    but when I come visit between quarters or at the half to check out the message boards, THAT'S when I see the small numbers of fans in the chat room.     And those people ARE watching the game while they chat.       I'm just noting for a website with 20,000 fans,   that seems like a very small number.

Did you ever attend a game at the RCA dome?  It was very loud, enough to get accused of piping in sound. I can recall flags being thrown back when the NFL had this notion that crowd noise was a penalty. The size and lay out of Lucas does not bide well for crowd noise. The RCA dome was 1 million sq. ft. seating 57,965 fans with 4 levels. Lucas is 1.8 million sq. ft. seating 63,000 fans with 7 levels. You could almost sit the RCA dome inside Lucas.

Yeah I miss that old place. I have attended several games there. It was much louder than LOS. 10-0 in 2006 LOL. We were still laid back for the most part but that place was so compacted it was just loud. We got loud when the Defense was out there and it was a better HFA than LOS.

I think Colts fans on this website spend way, WAY too much time worrying and complaining about how they're perceived by the National Media.

Get over it.

Look at this website for example.    The site claims we have roughly 20,000 members.    Yet only about 250 ever seem to post much.    You mean we have 19, 750 members who just want to come and read what the rest of us have to say?

When we have a chat room,  it seems rare that we ever get even 100 members in there.    Whenever I look, it seems to be about 50-75 members.    Out of a possible 20,000.   What's that about.

And few read ESPN and are premium members.      And few read NFL.com.     So there are very, very few "clicks" on stories about the Colts.

The reason the main stream sports media spends so little time covering us is............   so few of us seem to care.    

I'm glad we typically sell out our games,  but we appear to have to work hard to do so.     Sure feels like we're a very small market.   

Our fans are nice people.....    but there are just not enough of us......

I agree with you on quite a bit with what you said there.  Yet would like to point out some reasons as to why I'm one of the so-called "19750" that don't post often and/or join the chat room:

- Close to a half of the topics I go through start out as good topics that eventually get off track because people would rather respond to trolls that don't warrant a response than those that do.

- A good portion of topics have someone similiar to you respond exactly how I would to a topic (so I usually just "Like" it and move on).

- When I have responded they tend to go ignored because some troll said something stupid. So it seems like a waste of time as I never get the answer I'm looking for

- Topics that are about roster changes don't seem to warrant posts.  The Colts dropped so and so for so and so.  Usually get answered pretty quickly that either they like or don't like the decision followed by "Just Grigson searching for diamonds", "Fire Grigson", "Why didn't Grigson do this earlier" or "So and So was on the market forever, he won't help us".

- Topics that envolve about things in Indianapolis (stadium, parking, places to eat, etc.) are fun to read for the next time I get over there but I'd be of no help because I live in Iowa.

- I'm not really a talker in life and would rather just visit and see what the good posters think. (There seem to be a good group of informative ones to read (you are one of them)

- As for the chatroom, I'm just not a fan of them.  If I was I might join in even though I don't really like much interruptions during the game as it is.

On the topic of hard to sell-out games, I wonder if it has anything to do with Indy being in the Midwest.  I remember reading on some workplace website that the Midwest tends to have lower wage than those of the West, East and some southern regions.  Could also be I guess all the new technology making staying home get closer and closer to the real thing (minus a few things you need to be there for).

We hope so, that's what we want to see.  It hasn't been that way thus far, but they have to get over that hump eventually.  A good game is what I want to see.

Yes. I'm ok with a loss. They are a better team at this point of the season as we sit here today. A blowout or an embarrassment- that I do not and will not accept...

I don't understand why the media thinks the Patriots are the * off team in this match up. The Colts should be the * off team tonight because they are the ones who have gotten embarrassed by NE the past 3 years. Let's just play them tough and stop the run. If we lose because Brady picks us apart then so be it, but let's not get beat because they're running the ball down our throat again. I think a respectable showing and a close game would be a nice moral victory even if we lose.

This is my white guitar. Melody Maker Joan Jett signature

MelodyMaker.jpg

Very nice! I've seen a couple of those recently selling over 1K. No way I'd touch a guitar without a pickup in the neck position, but I've heard one of these (not a Joan Jett model) and it sounded swell through a clean amp. 

Brady's dad thinks we are softies and wants Brady to run up the score to 60.  Real class act. Hates the Colts organization for what we put his son through.

If my kid was an NFL quarterback, I would want him to put up 60 on every opponent.  Maybe a hundred.

Very nice! I've seen a couple of those recently selling over 1K. No way I'd touch a guitar without a pickup in the neck position, but I've heard one of these (not a Joan Jett model) and it sounded swell through a clean amp. 

I forget the pickup name but it has that raunchy Jett sound and a kill switch for when she talks or sings with no guitar that keeps it quiet.  It's not my main guitar. My main one is a Fender custom elite with the fender and humbucker pickups. I can get about 11 different sounds out of it.

If my kid was an NFL quarterback, I would want him to put up 60 on every opponent.  Maybe a hundred.

Nah, there's something called "calling off the dogs" after a team is getting obliterated.  Most NFL coaches adhere to this unwritten rule and would never lay it on thick like that.  Dungy was a class act like that, he would never do that to another coach, even if he hated him.  There are some that get their "man-kicks" out of doing it, builds their already inflated ego up, creates an aura around said coach, and pumps up his egotistical, macho-man, alpha-dog personality.

Size of fan base has or how good a team is has nothing to do with national media coverage. The Raiders have sucked bigtime for over 13 years now, they tarp off 10,00 seats in their stadium and still have trouble selling out, but they get 10 times the coverage the Colts do. The nfl wants the raiders to get mega-hyped so the media obliges like good little puppies.

I agree with you on quite a bit with what you said there.  Yet would like to point out some reasons as to why I'm one of the so-called "19750" that don't post often and/or join the chat room:

- Close to a half of the topics I go through start out as good topics that eventually get off track because people would rather respond to trolls that don't warrant a response than those that do.

- A good portion of topics have someone similiar to you respond exactly how I would to a topic (so I usually just "Like" it and move on).

- When I have responded they tend to go ignored because some troll said something stupid. So it seems like a waste of time as I never get the answer I'm looking for

- Topics that are about roster changes don't seem to warrant posts.  The Colts dropped so and so for so and so.  Usually get answered pretty quickly that either they like or don't like the decision followed by "Just Grigson searching for diamonds", "Fire Grigson", "Why didn't Grigson do this earlier" or "So and So was on the market forever, he won't help us".

- Topics that envolve about things in Indianapolis (stadium, parking, places to eat, etc.) are fun to read for the next time I get over there but I'd be of no help because I live in Iowa.

- I'm not really a talker in life and would rather just visit and see what the good posters think. (There seem to be a good group of informative ones to read (you are one of them)

- As for the chatroom, I'm just not a fan of them.  If I was I might join in even though I don't really like much interruptions during the game as it is.

On the topic of hard to sell-out games, I wonder if it has anything to do with Indy being in the Midwest.  I remember reading on some workplace website that the Midwest tends to have lower wage than those of the West, East and some southern regions.  Could also be I guess all the new technology making staying home get closer and closer to the real thing (minus a few things you need to be there for).

Nice post.     Very thoughtful.

Thanks for taking the time to share those thoughts....       :thmup:

I forget the pickup name but it has that raunchy Jett sound and a kill switch for when she talks or sings with no guitar that keeps it quiet.  It's not my main guitar. My main one is a Fender custom elite with the fender and humbucker pickups. I can get about 11 different sounds out of it.

I love that the Les Paul's have the middle position that can be used as a kill switch when the volume is turned all the way down on one pickup. Comes really in handy when setting the guitar down for a little break when you're plugged into something with high distortion. 

If I ever get another, I'm going into hollow body territory with that ES-339 Epiphone makes. I can't handle the big bulky hollow bodies since I have back problems and weight can really hurt me, which is why the ES-339 thankfully is small and light weight. Doubt I buy another guitar any time soon, but it would be that, since I could use it for rhythm playing with my young sessions friends I have been jamming with the past month, and they use an orthodox Jazz sound. 

Nah, there's something called "calling off the dogs" after a team is getting obliterated.  Most NFL coaches adhere to this unwritten rule and would never lay it on thick like that.  Dungy was a class act like that, he would never do that to another coach, even if he hated him.  There are some that get their "man-kicks" out of doing it, builds their already inflated ego up, creates an aura around said coach, and pumps up his egotistical, macho-man, alpha-dog personality.

We'll talk about this when both our studs are pitching in the Bigs.  Everyone talks about winning games and all that, but the best players are playing their way into Canton every weekend.  

• 1 month later...