Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen

RockThatBlue

Walden is the most underrated player on the team IMO but I think Whalen is a close second. He does what is asked, he doesn't fumble or usually do anything stupid. He's also better at returning kicks and punts than people give him credit for IMO. He's not a burner but he has decent vision (look at his return against Houston) He rarely drops a pass when he's in on offense. What are everybody's thoughts on him?

I love Griff. He's that blue collar type guy that you need a couple of. And when he's on the field he produces. He catches everything thrown his way. But the thing is, we're set at wide out. Maybe he'll end up being our future number 4 after we cut Dre. Moncrief, Hilton, and Dorsett will be the top 3 guys. Maybe Griff will be the number 4.

Walden is the most underrated player on the team IMO but I think Whalen is a close second. He does what is asked, he doesn't fumble or usually do anything stupid. He's also better at returning kicks and punts than people give him credit for IMO. He's not a burner but he has decent vision (look at his return against Houston) He rarely drops a pass when he's in on offense. What are everybody's thoughts on him?

Very solid role player for the Colts, he's not really a great home run threat in the return game but I feel comfortable when he's in there knowing he makes smart decisions and won't lose the ball. 

Given the chance I think he could be a Welker or Edelman type of guy for a team, you've got to work out the way to use his skill set correctly he's dependable I would like us to use him the way Austin Collie was use lets just not kill him!

Just because he's small and white doesn't mean he is in the same category as those players. Best case scenario he ends up being a poor man's Don Beebe.

Every time the Colts try to replace him on kick returns he returns. I feel save when he is back there sometimes Grigson overplays his hand

Just because he's small and white doesn't mean he is in the same category as those players. Best case scenario he ends up being a poor man's Don Beebe.

I don't think the poster was necessarily trying to say that Whalen is the next Edelman/Welker and that all he needs is a chance.

I think he was trying to say that Whalen has a similar skill set (i.e., quick, not blazing fast, slot receiver with dependable hands and the ability to return punts) and frame (although Griff is closer to Welker there, but not as strong).

Could be wrong but that's how I interpreted it.  And I happen to strongly agree with his interpretation. 

Given the chance I think he could be a Welker or Edelman type of guy for a team, you've got to work out the way to use his skill set correctly he's dependable I would like us to use him the way Austin Collie was use lets just not kill him!

W    H    E    W

H

E

W

I like Griff, BUT, didn't he lose his return duties last year because of fumbles ?

You forgot Brandon Stokley and Jordy Nelson.

Replacing Griff on returns will likely not win any games. Having a 1-2 punch to complement Gore likely will. We have an effective RB who is older, and therefore needs a second back to help carry the load. The current incumbents are not doing so. Nothing against the new player, but IMO Bradshaw would make us a more formidable team.

Very solid role player for the Colts, he's not really a great home run threat in the return game but I feel comfortable when he's in there knowing he makes smart decisions and won't lose the ball. 

Yeah M-432, I wish he had greater speed in the return game too, but after the failed Josh Cribbs experiment didn't pan out, I have a newfound appreciation for Whalen. 

He's not flash gordon, but he won't cost you field position either so if he stays in INDY for several seasons I'm cool with it. 

I have come around on Griff, simply because he is so sure handed on the punts. He catches them effortlessly. If you get something on the return great but if not the threat of a muff is minimal. I don't think we will ever have a great return game

Uh huh. Our return game on punts will never be great & I've come to accept that fact too. Thank God for Pat McAfee & Adam V. who almost make me forget about mediocre field position. 

On the plus side whenever Whalen gets a 35 yard return, I'm pleasantly surprised until the zebras throw laundry on the field for an illegal block in the back & the ball is coming back. That's what usually happens when Griff does something great on the field. LOL! It figures...  

He made some great catches in a couple of games. I think the one you're thinking about was vs the Pats in 2010, back of the end zone. Here's the worst quality highlight video of all time, but I think it's in there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MwDa8LI3sc

haha yea that's the one good find Peyton just made receivers look great! Yea he did make some good grabs.

I like Griff, BUT, didn't he lose his return duties last year because of fumbles ?

yes.

It is a crime we haven't replaced this dude yet.

Griff has fumbled twice... Recovered one lost the other one...

Think they both were in the same game, Ravens last year..

Ptetty sure the Colts still won that game...

Of course the over reaction from this board was that he is fumble proned & a bum...

Griff is solid. Even when people praise him they add that he's not a burner or that he has a low ceiling. I'm in agreement, mostly, but guys like that are like the lubricant in the offensive engine.

Dropped passes kill drives and Colts receivers and TE, despite all of their speed and athleticism, have dropped too many in recent seasons.

Players like Whalen are perfect for what Pep's philosophy ought to look like in the weeks to come. Taking what the D gives you and finding a rhythm requires reliable pass catchers, not necessarily a stable of burners. I think that this type of game plan is necessary to get Luck back to elite level play, at least this week and early in games (especially away games). We know that T.Y., Moncrief, or Dorsett will get behind the coverage a few times every week and the key is to connect on those plays without going 3 and out on every other series.

I wouldn't mind seeing Griff involved in the rotation more depending on the matchup. It's hard to take any of the other pass catchers off of the field to make room for him, but I think it would help the offense in general to have him on the field more often.

I honestly think griff could be a special slot receiver if we gave him a whole season. He isn't blazing fast but when he actually is on the field and they throw

To him he seems to always cAtch the ball. I would like to see him used more often to be honest. I think he may be the most under utilized colt on our squad.

Dude, youre being very undude...

Not everybodies gonna be a probowler need some role players too, & Whalens got value...

Whalen had next to nothing to do with the Dorset pick, but you obviously dont understand that draft theory...

whalen isn't good. If he was, we wouldn't have brought in johnson or drafted dorsett. That's just the truth

I honestly think griff could be a special slot receiver if we gave him a whole season. He isn't blazing fast but when he actually is on the field and they throw

To him he seems to always cAtch the ball. I would like to see him used more often to be honest. I think he may be the most under utilized colt on our squad.

if he is on the team, he is over utilized