Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorsett possibly saved the season

CR91

dorsett's first td couldnt have come at a better time with the colts facing 3rd and 20, luck being the gunslinger he is throws into triple coverage. honestly as soon as I saw three titans and only dorsett I was like game over and then dorsett makes one heck of leaping grab. just a tremendous play by dorsett. im telling you we'e gonna look back at this season and remember that as the play that turned our season around

Yeah, lowery was a beast. I'm in a way, glad it was Lowery instead of Adams. We know what we have from Adams, it's nice to some big plays from someone else. Also, Lowery is 29, so he has 5 good years left. Looks like we may have hit on him. As far as Dorsett goes, that was a nice catch for the td. He is making 1 or 2 big catches a game and impressing. Not a lot of quantity yet, but the quality is there and so is the impact. Lowery is the man Sunday, but Dorsett took a step forward.

Lowery saved the season. Without those two interceptions we probably lose. Especially the pick six.

probably true but you could say that about a number of plays yesterday.  hell, you could say it about werners play at the end

titan fans are mostly blaming the loss on not going for it on 4th down and taking the FG.

dorsett's first td couldnt have come at a better time with the colts facing 3rd and 20, luck being the gunslinger he is throws into triple coverage. honestly as soon as I saw three titans and only dorsett I was like game over and then dorsett makes one heck of leaping grab. just a tremendous play by dorsett. im telling you we'e gonna look back at this season and remember that as the play that turned our season around

Yes I was worried about that one too...thought it was over for sure #LUCKY

Getting back to the topic at hand:

That was a big moment for Mr. Dorsett. He has some serious wheels and he showed he could ad lib on a route. The ball was thrown short; he adjusted and made a big time professional catch. 

I don't expect a massive season from him, but he will play a role this year. What I do expect is that he will make AJ an afterthought in 2016. The #2 WR will be Moncrief, and Dorsett will get a chance to become something special as a slot receiver. 

My hope is they give him every chance to show his stuff with more slant passes; the old "throw a short pass and let him put the afterburners on parade" approach that the 49ers did better than anyone in the day. 

He'll prove to have been a solid and very acceptable #1 pick in time, even though a great O-lineman would have been preferable, given the current mess. 

If we start selecting lineman in the draft & give Andrew a clean pocket, he won't throw as many picks as #4 had a tendency to do, I will guarantee you that. 

Another factor is that he needs to prioritize his check downs more. He forces big plays a bit too often - of course that is also related to the pocket collapsing.

The throw was not good at all and the rookie came back and made a play.

Bravo to him.

Can't wait to see what he has in store in the future.

Im hard on Luck, but wth are u talking about. He put that ball in the perfect spot. If that ball is anywhere else, its picked. Some how he put it right on the back of the db and Dorsett made a good play to adjust.

I thought it was a horrible decision to even throw it. 3 defenders and Dorsett wasn't even open.

Im hard on Luck, but wth are u talking about. He put that ball in the perfect spot. If that ball is anywhere else, its picked. Some how he put it right on the back of the db and Dorsett made a good play to adjust.

I thought it was a horrible decision to even throw it. 3 defenders and Dorsett wasn't even open.

It may have been designed that way, but that throw ends up being picked 50% of the time.

It was underthrown.

Dorsett beat the defenders deep, then had to come back to the ball.

The bigger question is, we have Hilton, Moncrief, Dosette(3 young very fast guys who are good route runners) and Johnson, yet with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr Sunday we had only thrown 17 passes(huh?) then threw 14 in the 4th qtr alone(and coincidentally or not) scored 3 touchdowns. We need to throw more.

I really don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but he's going to have to do A HECK OF A LOT MORE than that, to satisfy!  I'm not even considering his 2 muffed punts in the first game.  I'm talking about how, he is suppose to be the future and all, and Grigs forgot about our OL & defensive needs in the offseason, because of this guy!  It would literally take him being a future HOF (or somewhat close) to justify picking him over numerous options (nobody specific/trading the pick) in order to fill the holes in our OL (and perhaps ILB).  Although I have super high expectations, solely because of that, I do think he's doing a decent job and will be a great player, but literally that move was almost as dumb as the Richardson trade/Bjoern Werner pick (hindsight) from Grigson's standpoint.  I am so harsh due to the fact it's year 4 and we have only taken 1 baby step (Mewhort, who will be great in the future) since he arrived in Indy.  I'm not trying to make this about Dorsett, because I have really high expectations of the Colts this year, but how much of a bonehead move (on top of MANY) that was of Grigson!

I really don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but he's going to have to do A HECK OF A LOT MORE than that, to satisfy!  I'm not even considering his 2 muffed punts in the first game.  I'm talking about how, he is suppose to be the future and all, and Grigs forgot about our OL & defensive needs in the offseason, because of this guy!  It would literally take him being a future HOF (or somewhat close) to justify picking him over numerous options (nobody specific/trading the pick) in order to fill the holes in our OL (and perhaps ILB).  Although I have super high expectations, solely because of that, I do think he's doing a decent job and will be a great player, but literally that move was almost as dumb as the Richardson trade/Bjoern Werner pick (hindsight) from Grigson's standpoint.  I am so harsh due to the fact it's year 4 and we have only taken 1 baby step (Mewhort, who will be great in the future) since he arrived in Indy.  I'm not trying to make this about Dorsett, because I have really high expectations of the Colts this year, but how much of a bonehead move (on top of MANY) that was of Grigson!

anderson and parry have done really good in three games and its not like grigs hasnt tried to sign o-lineman. he drafted ,mewhort holmes thornton in the first 4 rounds and signed GC herramans and thomas. sometimes moves just dont pan out. its not from a lack of trying is what im saying

anderson and parry have done really good in three games and its not like grigs hasnt tried to sign o-lineman. he drafted ,mewhort holmes thornton in the first 4 rounds and signed GC herramans and thomas. sometimes moves just dont pan out. its not from a lack of trying is what im saying

Maybe a better O-line coach and OC should do it...I kinda like Pags as the players love him but think heʻs to soft at times...but will see how it goes the rest of the season GO COLTS!

The catch was great, but it could have been even better if Luck would have hit Dorsett a little bit earlier.  Cause Dorsett blew pass that guy so fast on that play.  If him and Luck ever get their timing down then this offense will take off.  What Donte, and Ty has done is great, but they will do even better once Dorsett is used more and more.Hard to double Ty and Donte when Dorsett is running pass defenders.  But big ups to the FOURTH QUARTER HUGH for finally stop holding and giving Luck time to throw.

His other catch was a slant that got them off the goal line on the 98 yard drive.  I believe it was on 3rd down and got them the 1st down.  Tight coverage and he came up with the ball.

So he gets three targets and comes up with 2 tough catches.

I'm very impressed with Anderson & Parry.  Already surpassing expectations...  Mewhort is the only solid OL Grigs has brought it (I say reluctantly I wasn't even a fan of that move at first), However, I was screaming NO with the others you mentioned and Holmes is the only mediocre OL out of the others (which isn't satisfying).  I'm looking for a swing for the fences (typical Grigs move) to bring a annual Pro Bowl Guard.  Not just say this guy has had SOME success, let's throw him in the mix.  Herramans is too old, Thornton can't get it right, and play consistent, no matter how many opportunities he has.  Lance Louis is garbage.  I was high on Cherilus for the first year, but not about the money he received, so I even thought that move was a mistake.  I was also saying cut Thomas after his first year

It's about time somebody is fired!  Seeing how Grigson overrides Pagano most of the time, I would think it should be him.  It's stupid how much talent this team has, but the OL is holding our air assault back, and hindering Frank Gore (penalties) in the run game.  It's time to stop the WIP crap and just find somebody who WILL get the job done, no doubt about it!

I'm very impressed with Anderson & Parry.  Already surpassing expectations...  Mewhort is the only solid OL Grigs has brought it (I say reluctantly I wasn't even a fan of that move at first), However, I was screaming NO with the others you mentioned and Holmes is the only mediocre OL out of the others (which isn't satisfying).  I'm looking for a swing for the fences (typical Grigs move) to bring a annual Pro Bowl Guard.  Not just say this guy has had SOME success, let's throw him in the mix.  Herramans is too old, Thornton can't get it right, and play consistent, no matter how many opportunities he has.  Lance Louis is garbage.  I was high on Cherilus for the first year, but not about the money he received, so I even thought that move was a mistake.  I was also saying cut Thomas after his first year

It's about time somebody is fired!  Seeing how Grigson overrides Pagano most of the time, I would think it should be him.  It's stupid how much talent this team has, but the OL is holding our air assault back, and hindering Frank Gore (penalties) in the run game.  It's time to stop the WIP crap and just find somebody who WILL get the job done, no doubt about it!

tell me, what olineman would you have liked the grigs to go after? its not like pro bowl lineman grow on trees. as for the draft, theres only so many postions you can fill. Im not a fan of thornton at all, but who knows maybe he'll take this second chance hes getting and run with it

Yes, I wanted the Colts to THROW money at Alex Mack to where Cleveland didn't want to match it.  After all we just resigned Hilton to top$ when we have a rookie WR at 4th in the depth chart and gave AJ decent money for his old age.  I think we could go without such large depth at WR in order to make a more rounded team. 

Mike Iupati would've been alright with me!

Evan Mathis in pre season to give him some time to work with the OL

Keep Mewhort at G and bring draft a RT with the 1st or 2nd.  Heck we could've picked up Collins for pennies.  I don't want to hear about his legal difficulties because we have/had plenty of players with legality issues (just look at Irsay)

Whatever the case I'm just tired of them either not being able to run or Luck getting hit within the first 4 seconds

The bigger question is, we have Hilton, Moncrief, Dosette(3 young very fast guys who are good route runners) and Johnson, yet with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr Sunday we had only thrown 17 passes(huh?) then threw 14 in the 4th qtr alone(and coincidentally or not) scored 3 touchdowns. We need to throw more.

it's not that we need to throw more cuz we actually don't need to its that we went uptempo and started running the ball effectively and also the scheme changed from deep balls to short passes almost immediately after being down so much so late in the game

The throw was not good at all and the rookie came back and made a play.

Bravo to him.

Can't wait to see what he has in store in the future.

That was a very good throw.  Almost a perfect throw.

Look at the video from it http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000540029/Colts-Andrew-Luck-finds-Phillip-Dorsett-for-35-yard-TD

If Luck throws that ball 5 yards into the endzone, Dorsett gets de-headed by the safety closing in.  Dorsett had his man beat but not the closing coverage.  The DB was not in position to make a play on the ball where Luck put it.  Dorsett was the only player on the field who had an opportunity to make a play on that ball based on how the defense was set up.

One of the best throws I have ever seen Luck make.

That was a very good throw.  Almost a perfect throw.

Look at the video from it http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000540029/Colts-Andrew-Luck-finds-Phillip-Dorsett-for-35-yard-TD

If Luck throws that ball 5 yards into the endzone, Dorsett gets de-headed by the safety closing in.  Dorsett had his man beat but not the closing coverage.  The DB was not in position to make a play on the ball where Luck put it.  Dorsett was the only player on the field who had an opportunity to make a play on that ball based on how the defense was set up.

One of the best throws I have ever seen Luck make.

I agree...I think dorsett knew that was coming...that was too good of a play even for him